• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER |OT| Spank One For The Good Guys

McNum

So I've been playing a lot of Duke Nukem Forever today.

I just wanted to write that line. I'll elaborate a bit, too. But so far I like the game.

It's a stupid game. Really stupid game. I'm up to just after
Titty City
(which didn't play out at all like I expected it to). So far the game is pretty fun. The level design is pretty nice, the enemies put up a fight, some are pretty nasty, and generally the game just plays well. Duke is Duke. That's pretty much a compliment, they got Duke right. But the game is stupid, purposely so. It has a wonderful sense of detail, and a lot of those details go towards making the game stupid on purpose.

The two weapon limit isn't as annoying as I thought, there's pretty much only been one boss fight where I wanted three guns for, until I started fighting smarter. I'm still carrying Duke's golden pistol around. That thing is a great secondary weapon. Accurate, fine damage, and can shoot a long time before running out. I hear there's an achievement for finishing the game with it, I'm just wondering if I'm allowed to drop it and pick it up again to get that one, since I did some three gun juggling with it.

In any case, I can't say that Duke exceeded my expectations, but what I expected was a silly arcade-like FPS with a very crass sense of humor and violence. I got that, and well made, too. Found two easter eggs that I noticed, at least. Don't highlight if you want to be surprised.

The Dead Space marine with his head torn off, naturally.
In Titty City you see a spinning top that doesn't fall. That's a clue to what Titty City really is, and a very blatant reference.

Also a friendly tip: Remember pumping Octobrains full of rockets in Duke3D? Don't try this in Forever. If there's an Octobrain around, don't use rockets or pipebombs at all. They got a Telekinesis attack now, and yes, they reflect rockets back at Duke.

Yay!

1inz38.jpg

Gary Whitta said:
Yay!

http://i54.tinypic.com/1inz38.jpg[/IG][/QUOTE]
This reminds me, I just finished playing Prey and saw your name in the credits. I'm sure some part of me knew about that ahead of time, but I must have blocked it out.

So yeah. Good work on Prey.

Tain

evilromero said:
I played the demo and immediately lost interest after a few encounters. How is it anything like Duke?

Bulletstorm is much like Duke at all, mechanically, yeah. Another one of those throwaway surface-level comparisons that I see all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xLjn8uKlVM

IGN guy dont seem to like it.

I expect this game to have a somewhere around a 70 average score by the end of it all.

Still playing it myself. I like it. I enjoy the duke-ness.

Definitively feels like a game that should have been released in 2005. Can really see the HL2 and Halo 1 influences.

Its nice to play a FPS that doesn't feel like Call of Duty

Salsa

welp this sucks, everytime the game gets a bit crowded i get TERRIBLE performance, even with everything on low (tried just in case).

My PC has become a bit outdated but i didnt have this problem with the demo :/

shit :( gues ill wait for an update or performance patch..

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
evilromero said:
I played the demo and immediately lost interest after a few encounters. How is it anything like Duke?

Not necessarily like duke, but it's an off the wall crazy FPS game. Full of one liners and doesn't take itself seriously. The demo doesn't properly show off its awesomeness.

Gvaz

Banned
(._.) said:
No they shouldn't
People should listen to reviews or from their friends as a whole. If a game is bad don't buy it. Buying into games on release day only supports more shitty games, imo.

Tacitus_

Papercuts said:
Not necessarily like duke, but it's an off the wall crazy FPS game. Full of one liners and doesn't take itself seriously. The demo doesn't properly show off its awesomeness.

To put it lightly. The demo has none of the interactivity found in the full game.

Can you find a rat in a closet in the demo and put it in a microwave? No.
Can you play billiards, air hockey, etc in a strip club? No.

The demo has you fight a single boss with no mechanics and then a driving section with a bunch of shooting after it.

Sanic

Two questions:

1.) Is the level design very 90s in the sense of being very open and labyrinth like? I don't want to play something like Call of Duty.

2.) How is multiplayer?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Pandoracell said:
Two questions:

1.) Is the level design very 90s in the sense of being very open and labyrinth like?

I haven't gotten around to play the game myself, but supposedly the levels are more narrow and corridor-like than Duke 3D was.

FLEABttn

Banned
funkystudent said:

Some of these complaints seem dumb. Like "the encounters don't get any more complicated than what you see here. Which is basically take cover behind stuff and uh, shoot when your health comes back." Congrats, you just described how both a regenerating health systems work as well as how most FPS's this gen have played.

Why don't you make fun of what parts of the environment are destructible because it's not Battlefield 3. Oh hey, you did!

Sanic

Combichristoffersen said:
I haven't gotten around to play the game myself, but supposedly the levels are more narrow and corridor-like than Duke 3D was.

Kinda disappointing for me. I don't so much care about duke as I care about playing a throwback game.

Tacitus_ said:
To put it lightly. The demo has none of the interactivity found in the full game.

Can you find a rat in a closet in the demo and put it in a microwave? No.
Can you play billiards, air hockey, etc in a strip club? No.

The demo has you fight a single boss with no mechanics and then a driving section with a bunch of shooting after it.

Hmm, you starting to have me go against my better judgment and get the game...is the humor crass, juvenile, and offensive, because if you say yes, I'm just going to give in and get it.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Pandoracell said:
Two questions:

1.) Is the level design very 90s in the sense of being very open and labyrinth like? I don't want to play something like Call of Duty.
The level design is more reminiscent of HL2 than CoD. Very linear and scripted, but with tons of things to do and lots of physics puzzles along the way. It's more of a throwback to 2004 than 1994.

Sanic

You'd probably be better off waiting for Serious Sam 3 then, I guess :)

I'm actually not much of a fan of the Serious Sam games :). Thanks for your input though!

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
is the humor crass, juvenile, and offensive, because if you say yes, I'm just going to give in and get it.

You can pick up human feces and throw at the wall, you can draw a giant dick on the whiteboard detailing 'Operation: Cockblock', and the first demo level ends with Duke getting a blowjob from the 'Holsom Twins', before he makes a quip about the long development time of the game. So yeah, it's pretty much the old Duke humour, I'd say. The full game should have even more of that kind of thing.

Pandoracell said:
I'm actually not much of a fan of the Serious Sam games :). Thanks for your input though!

Ah, OK. Have you played the Painkiller games, or some of the old FPS games like Blood and Shadow Warrior?

jgminto

Just want to say that the mission
The Hive
is pretty fucked up.
Impregnated chicks strapped to giant penis-like stalks naked that burst when you approach and release octobabies and therefore must be shot on approach. Yeah, something tells me that the 14 years of development messed with 3D Realms' heads.

You can pick up human feces and throw at the wall, you can draw a giant dick on the whiteboard detailing 'Operation: Cockblock', and the first demo level ends with Duke getting a blowjob from the 'Holsom Twins', before he makes a quip about the long development time of the game. So yeah, it's pretty much the old Duke humour, I'd say. The full game should have even more of that kind of thing.

Yeah, I forgot about that. I'm just hoping the demo was the rule (humor wise) rather than the exception.

Fuck...I have to get it. I almost care more about the story, atmosphere, and humor than gameplay. Hey, Bulletstorm (while being a really good shooter) really won me over for it's sense of humor.

Tacitus_

Duke's firing with everything

"Only pussies wear power armor (with halo theme playing)*
"Damn, I hate valve puzzles"
"Duke - 1, Gears - 0"

Ok just watched some play through videos on youtube and my interest has raised a lot.

Spoiler

Dukes driving a forklift running over piggys saying "quit forking around and "fork you"

Gonna probaly pick it up but I have to play the console version :(

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Gary Whitta said:
Wow. Gary, know how much of what you wrote made it to this version?

dejay

Banned
I've played a couple of chunks of this on PC. It's quite mixed but over all it's pretty fun. I laughed at a few of the jokes and one liners. I get the HL and Halo comparisons, but I also get a Sin vibe from it too.

The graphics are mediocre for today but they're acceptable. The first 20 minutes or so of the game were crap and mostly unnecessary, but it's good after that (so far). There has been one or two moments that reminded me of Duke's cousin, Shadow Warrior, which is a nice throw back.

There are some frustrations - the long death sequence is a pain, especially when there's a loading screen right behind it. The enemies are very predictable. As an example, a line of pig cops running towards me always jump at me from the same spot - Serious Sam-esque.

I had to get this game, since DN3D was the game that got me into PC gaming, got me into multiplayer (well, 2 player modem) and into level editing. So far it's about about what I expected from the development it's had - a slightly janky, old school cheese fest that's been fun.

Get the PS3 version if you can, apparently it's the least worst of the console versions

I thought the PS3 demo ran pretty good, but achievements and if theres any hope to online id wanna play over xbox live. Ill wait a few days and get some comparisions and see how much worse the 360 version is.

animlboogy said:
It's so stupid, but this hypes me for this game so much. I know it's gonna come off like it was made in the mid-2000's -- probably because it largely was -- and I know it's not going to be the most polished, AAA experience out there. I just want that idiotic crass feeling back, along with some design that doesn't have anything to do with kneeling behind something and popping out once in awhile to pop a head off.

You're not alone. :)

Top Bottom