• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER |OT| Spank One For The Good Guys

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
McNum said:
Before or after you see the wrecking ball crane?

If it's before, you need to use the non-explosive barrels to weigh down the seesawing container so you can use it to climb higher. If it's after, you need to find a battery to restart the crane.

It was before the wrecking ball crane. Got past it, thanks :D

KareBear

Sectus said:
By the way, I don't know if this has been posted earlier in the thread, but after completing the game I highly recommend reading through this: http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/46980/Duke-Nukem-Forever-Complete-Plot-Revealed-Redux - That is the plot design document as of May 2009 when 3D Realms got shut down.
It's crazy to see that about 50% of the game was removed. It's a shame because all of the stuff with Bombshell sounded really fun. I wish they had scrapped the hive, 90% of the Dam levels and most of the truck driving levels in exchange for some of the Bombshell levels.

I did the same after finishing the game.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...ngs-you-didnt-know-about-duke-nukem-forever/1

Two of those levels are mentioned here and it was leaked that there's a 15 map singleplayer DLC coming out that will probably include those cut levels.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-03-duke-nukem-forever-dlc-detailed

Heres an interesting comparison.

http://forums.duke4.net/topic/4091-has-the-game-been-shortened/

Sanic

Anybody have a link to that article that was written about a year ago, I believe, that offered details about the development of the game and why it (was presumed at the time) ultimately failed.

Pandoracell said:
Anybody have a link to that article that was written about a year ago, I believe, that offered details about the development of the game and why it (was presumed at the time) ultimately failed.

Type Wired Duke Nukem Forever in google

That's the best article I've seen on it

Zomba13

I have to say I'm enjoying this. Only thing I'm not liking are some of the one liners (mainly 'I'll ninja that' or something like that).
Loving the interactivity. Almost got 1million on the pinball but stopped at 800,000. Didn't know there was a steamchievement for 1 mill >.< Would have kept going.

Combichristoffersen

Zomba13 said:
I have to say I'm enjoying this. Only thing I'm not liking are some of the one liners (mainly 'I'll ninja that' or something like that).
Loving the interactivity. Almost got 1million on the pinball but stopped at 800,000. Didn't know there was a steamchievement for 1 mill >.< Would have kept going.

Agreed that some of the one-liners were pretty bad, but I laughed at the 'I've got balls of fail' line when I fucked up at the pinball game

123rl

Played a bit more...it's still shit. Unskippable scene, then an unpredictable and vague QTE. If you fail then it's a 15 second load time...unskippable scene, then another go at the vague QTE. It's archaic and poor design.

Sectus

QTEs? I can't remember any QTEs in the game and I've completed it. The closest I can think of are the boss finishers but they're always the same: just mash one button for a few seconds.

Gvaz

Banned
Some other people are reporting the game is only about 6 hours long for them, so I guess my initial assumption was right for some at least.

Vestal

Anyone have a Dedicated Game Server to host some Official Gaf games? If not Ive been considering getting 1 or 2 game shared hostings for us they ain't that expensive but prefer dedicated hehe.

Gvaz said:
Some other people are reporting the game is only about 6 hours long for them, so I guess my initial assumption was right for some at least.

So 5 hours of gameplay and 1 hour of loading times? :p

Hope you guys enjoy the game as im sure its gonna be a good ride either way, im going to pick up child of eden instead. When theres a price drop and single player DLC ill grab it. I waited 12 years, a couple more months wont hurt

Tacitus_

Gvaz said:

My steam says that I spent 6 hours in the game but that can't be true. I'd say that it's more like 10 hours.

And maybe the best reference in the game: you're running up a winding staircase and suddenly barrels start rolling down.
"Damn where's a hammer when you need one" and at the top "Hmm, I expected a monkey"

saunderez

Gvaz said:
They must be playing on the easiest difficulty level. I'm playing on Bring It On and I die once or twice a level on average. Due to this it's taken me 8 or 9 hours so far and I don't think I'm near the end yet.

derFeef

I am enjoying this, its fun and not too much to worry about. Not high art of eintertainment, but good enough to keep me going.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm buying the PC version, but I found a nice feature for anyone buying the PS3 version. If you drop the system to 480p you get a massive performance boost. The image quality isn't great by default so going to 480p doesn't really look all that much worse. The end result is a framerate more line with some of the recent Call of Duty titles. It's 60 fps with slowdown. Definitely not a stable 60, but it holds it more than you'd expect and the drops aren't too severe. It's still not the best way to play, but it makes for a decent experience.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Im watching someone stream the 360 version and every time the guy dies it literally takes 30 seconds to load.

What the fuck.

Vamphuntr

~Kinggi~ said:
Im watching someone stream the 360 version and every time the guy dies it literally takes 30 seconds to load.

What the fuck.

Yeah Joystiq talked about this in their review.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/10/duke-nukem-forever-review-fail-to-the-king-baby/

Joystiq said:
Every time I died there was between 30 and 45 long seconds of loading, during which I was treated to such helpful hints as the fact that dodging gunfire is good and that enemies sometimes drop weapons

Zomba13

~Kinggi~ said:

What the fuck.
The console versions seem utter shit from what I've read. Low FPS, Stupid long load times, stuck with the shitty filters and post processing shit.
I've got very fast load times on PC. Like, really quick. And great FPS, all max minus the Post-processing effects that make it seem like the world is covered in shit.

So the PS3 version has no screen tearing and is otherwise identical to the 360 version? I had the 360 version preordered from Amazon, but a lack of screen tearing would be significant enough to warrant an exchange.

And yeah yeah, master race.

Combichristoffersen

The Xtortionist said:
So the PS3 version has no screen tearing and is otherwise identical to the 360 version? I had the 360 version preordered from Amazon, but a lack of screen tearing would be significant enough to warrant an exchange.

And yeah yeah, master race.

I think the PS3 version also has some sort of AA that the 360 version lacks

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I just got my First Access demo today and playing it right now. 10/10.

Salsa

Man, i may actually sounds super weird here for some, but this game is actually exceeding the expectations i had. Granted, considering the years and all, they werent very high to begin with, but im really, really loving the game. Im almost at the end and it has been some of the most fun i had this year. Thats just what it is: FUN. Besides the shooting feeling good and all, the puzzles are nice, the vehicle sections were fun since they lasted exactly what they needed to last, the humor is gold, and ive found a variety of gameplay that certainly took me by surprise. The game mixes it up a bit and it feels right. There's platforming, puzzles, the mini duke sections are awesome.

I dunno, i really really like it. Sucks for those who arent finding it as good as i am.

edit: playing on the hardest difficulty btw, maybe it has something to do with it?

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
SalsaShark said:
Man, i may actually sounds super weird here for some, but this game is actually exceeding the expectations i had. Granted, considering the years and all, they werent very high to begin with, but im really, really loving the game. Im almost at the end and it has been some of the most fun i had this year. Thats just what it is: FUN. Besides the shooting feeling good and all, the puzzles are nice, the vehicle sections were fun since they lasted exactly what they needed to last, the humor is gold, and ive found a variety of gameplay that certainly took me by surprise. The game mixes it up a bit and it feels right. There's platforming, puzzles, the mini duke sections are awesome.

I dunno, i really really like it. Sucks for those who arent finding it as good as i am.

edit: playing on the hardest difficulty btw, maybe it has something to do with it?
I don't think you're weird, I think the reviewers are weird for either expecting too much or taking it too seriously.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
People who expect to love it will find lots to love, people who expect to hate it will find lots to hate. :p

I played a good chunk of it so far and while it starts off pretty slow, once you get into the meat of the game it's amazing. Duke Burger is such a fantastic level and it just gets better from there.

(._.)

Banned
I'm expecting nothing but things I will really enjoy in this game. I have read enough to know what to expect and it sounds pretty fun. Payed $25 for the PC copy also so I don't feel like I'm losing out either. Reviews in general are so worthless these days. It is hilarious to me that some people still don't understand why people love Duke Nukem. Can't wait to play this game.

Zomba13

Dr Eggman said:
I just read that review. I don't think the score fits the text. His biggest problem (apart from maybe the performance issues of the 360 version) seem to be the Duke character himself and how he's an out dated character.

Dr Eggman said:
I just got my First Access demo today and playing it right now. 10/10.
If you love the demo then you are going to explode with glee at the full game. The demo is a big huge piece of shit in comparison.

Zomba13 said:
I just read that review. I don't think the score fits the text. His biggest problem (apart from maybe the performance issues of the 360 version) seem to be the Duke character himself and how he's an out dated character.

Yeah.. I noticed that too.

If you don't mind or like the Duke character, the review reads like a 7.

I actually enjoyed the vehicle and platforming sequences he complained about... though I was playing on the PC.. not the 360.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Zomba13 said:
If you love the demo then you are going to explode with glee at the full game. The demo is a big huge piece of shit in comparison.
Oh man can't wait.

I love it when people review pop-corn movies as introspective dramas.

Shows who has no idea what they are talking about.

Same with games industry.

saunderez

WTF at the suggestion that Duke is an outdated character in gaming. I just wish there were more action hero style characters like him. I miss the days of Duke3D, Blood and Shadow Warrior with over the top personas, ridiculous weapons, crazy levels and enemies.

Playing Duke Nukem Forever has reminded me of the days when video game characters didn't have to take themselves seriously.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Zomba13 said:
It seems like most people are reviewing the circumstances surrounding the game rather than the game itself. They can't properly articulate what they really feel is wrong with it so they parrot the "irrelevant and outdated" angle. The game would be a solid 7 is my book. I love the game, but the technical aspects bring it down a bit (no quicksaves, load screens when you die, inconsistent performance, etc)

Seriously, the demo level (the mines) was literally the worst level in the entire game. Pretty amazing that they chose it.

saunderez said:
WTF at the suggestion that Duke is an outdated character in gaming. I just wish there were more action hero style characters like him. I miss the days of Duke3D, Blood and Shadow Warrior with over the top personas, ridiculous weapons, crazy levels and enemies.

Playing Duke Nukem Forever has reminded me of the days when video game characters didn't have to take themselves seriously.
Fun characters are a relic of the 90s.

Zomba13

luka said:
Seriously, the demo level (the mines) was literally the worst level in the entire game. Pretty amazing that they chose it.
Yeah. The mines part was the worst. I understand them putting the game part in the demo. That was a good idea, but the mines/driving part should have been replaced with something else. Maybe something from Duke Burger or if they needed to show off a vehicle section then a part with the RC car? It controls much better than the Mighty Foot.

Gvaz

Banned
I usually don't agree with critic reviews but I am for once. I have no idea why this juvenile game was released in 2011 :\

If you're going to go after Duke for being this or that, go after Modern Warfare 2 it or Gears 2 being one of the most offensive "stories" in the history of storytelling.

It's just the same old shit with journalism.

Will writing sensationalist nonsense get you hits? Yes?
WRITE WRITE WRITE.

Symphonic

Gvaz said:
I usually don't agree with critic reviews but I am for once. I have no idea why this juvenile game was released in 2011 :\

The point of Duke is to be juvenile. Don't be ridiculous. Aside from that, though, yeah it's probably not the greatest game ever.

How long are people taking to finish it?

Top Bottom