• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER |OT| Spank One For The Good Guys

Choc

Banned
jns said:
I assume your playing on the console version because the PC has no performance issues, even with old hardware.

Yes.

I am not talking about the master race version. I will play this when i can :)

Buckethead said:
I don't really think that's necessarily the case, I think it has to do with 3D Realms'/Triptych's inexperience and Gearbox doing their best to get the game 'ready' for release whilst being cost-effective.

Honestly guys, the PS3 demo didn't run bad at all if you factor out load times (hey Portal 2 got away with it). The in-game performance held up just fine and kicks the living shit out of the 360 demo. Is the full game worse? I hope not.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Buckethead said:
I don't really think that's necessarily the case, I think it has to do with 3D Realms'/Triptych's inexperience and Gearbox doing their best to get the game 'ready' for release whilst being cost-effective.

But I wouldn't doubt they'll do their best to patch it.

I should clarify, I meant the code was written primarly with PC in mind. But that said, PC code should be easy to port over to 360, and somewhat harder to port to the PS3, so with that in mind, it makes little sense that the PS3 version is the superior console version :lol

Choc

Banned
Buckethead said:
So don't buy it?

It's not anyone's fault you made a poor decision but your own.

I actually like the game. This is more in reaction to the media giving it 5's and 6's

and why people think the media is dumb because of it.

Salsa

CecilRousso said:
It´s fascinating to see a game with so much tasteless humour and so many apparent flaws being defended like this one is on internet forums, while other games are getting strangled at the first sight of low res textures.

How about people who are defending the game but also dont complain about low-res textures in other new releases?

stop putting everything on the same bag. Some people like this game, deal with it.

ram

playing the full ps3 game here - much better than the atrocious demo (better framerate, no tearing), but load times are long as ever.

i'll have my fair share of fun with the game, because its funny an duke is some cool character from years ago. but every other aspect is just plain bad. bad level design (the rc car sections), boring enemies, literally no ai and its short too. overall, it would have been better, if the game was scrapped long ago.

but maybe the next game will be better, with gearbox on front.

crayman

Just beat it, this game is absolutely dreadful. It fails as a fun throwback to 90s FPS, and as a decent modern FPS. You just want to go nuts and start circle strafing, but the health system requires you to be hiding behind cover waiting for health to recharge for most of the combat time. There is also no room to circle strafe because the level design is Call of Duty inspired instead of the more sprawling and open Duke 3d style. The boss battles mostly consist you running back and forth between cover and an ammo crate because the RPG can only hold 5 rockets now (down from 50).

The graphics are medicore, the performance (on the 360) is shocking, the load times are baffling. The pacing is off, fast swathes of time go by without any kind of gunplay. The shooting is janky and unsatisfying. The voice acting is abysmal, hell even the music is grating especially the load screen version of the theme which might be the worst version of that theme ever made. The Duke humour is present, but it's all delivered in such a poorly scripted and ill conceived manner that it's never funny. Even the "shocking stuff" like the
rape apology of the Holsom twins scene
is so weirdly presented that it doesn't really have any effect on you other than confusion.

This game gets a 3/10, every aspect of it is worse than modern counterparts, and it doesn't even do throwback well (not that it seems to even be trying). Anyone who thinks this deserves a 7 or higher is no longer allowed to bitch about games media outlets never using their entire review scale.

Edit: Mistook Devastator for RPG

ram said:
i'll have my fair share of fun with the game, because its funny an duke is some cool character from years ago. but every other aspect is just plain bad. bad level design (the rc car sections), boring enemies, literally no ai and its short too. overall, it would have been better, if the game was scrapped long ago.
I don't see how this is the case.

This has made Duke Nukem relavent again. Whether you like the game or not, people are talking about Duke Nukem.
It's not just something "old people used to play". It's something happening in 2011.

Also they're recouping some money.

Now what they need to do (they being Gearbox) is make a new Duke game that is fresh but keeps the spirit of the franchise.

Then everyone wins.

SalsaShark said:
How about people who are defending the game but also dont complain about low-res textures in other new releases?

stop putting everything on the same bag. Some people like this game, deal with it.

Deal with it? It´s not nothing I have to deal with it, I´m just talking about how people in general seem so much more forgiving about this game than others.

clockpunk

Myself, and three friends, have no complaints whatsoever with the technical gameplay side of the 360 release. Very little screen tearing, no slowdown, no glitches (thus far), no pop up, and really no noticable problems at all. Either the 4 of us, a mere trickle within a an ocean of gamers, got lucky, or perhaps the problems are being exacerbated just a little.

Exactly what I wanted, in both the sense a Duke Nukem experience, and an actual game. Over the top, action packed, B-movie. Rock on.

Combichristoffersen

Buckethead said:
Now what they need to do (they being Gearbox) is make a new Duke game that is fresh but keeps the spirit of the franchise.

Then everyone wins.

I wish Gearbox would buy the Blood IP too ;_; Bring back Caleb!

clockpunk

Combichristoffersen said:
I wish Gearbox would buy the Blood IP too ;_; Bring back Caleb!

Oh Gawd, insta-preorder if only such a thing could happen. Especially if such a project could include remakes of many of the levels from the first game. An underrated gem of a classic. Kicking heads and flaring cultists never gets old.

jgminto

Just finished the game today. The end reference is hilarious. I expect the sequel to be much better as it is not weighed down by over 10 years of game design. Duke Nukem Forever playes like an old school game developed by an old school team. The sequel should play like an old school game developed by a modern and creative team.

Combichristoffersen

clockpunk said:
Oh Gawd, insta-preorder if only such a thing could happen. Especially if such a project could include remakes of many of the levels from the first game. An underrated gem of a classic. Kicking heads and flaring cultists never gets old.

Blood and Duke 3D are tied as my all-time favourite FPS games. 'I live... again'.

derFeef said:
Blood has to be treated with care, or do you want another Blood 2?

Oh God, don't remind me. Blood 2 was such an abysmal piece of utter dogshit. Sure, the graphics were good for its time, but that's about the only good thing about the game. Even Caleb's one-liners sucked.

FireFly

Choc said:
Here's the problem

The game is $60 USD, ie a full priced game.

When you compare Duke Nukem forever @ $60 to what you get for $60 in 2011 it doesn't stack up

they should have put it out at 20

its no where near technologically a 2011 game, it runs like shite (on consoles, total slideshow sometimes) and yes there is the element of sexism which is part of Duke Nukem, and many people are reacting to.

Why is duke nukem forever, with a 5 year old engine, running like a 5 year old game, looking like shite the same price as unchartered 3 will be?
The PC version looks acceptable, I think. Parts of it are actually quite impressive (eg. the hive section), while other bits are less so, but overall it looks on a level with a lot of 360 ports.

It's just a shame the 360 version itself is such an awful port. I kind of wish they'd kept it on the PC, so players would at least experience it at its best - even if the total playerbase would be smaller.

jgminto said:
Just finished the game today. The end reference is hilarious. I expect the sequel to be much better as it is not weighed down by over 10 years of game design. Duke Nukem Forever playes like an old school game developed by an old school team. The sequel should play like an old school game developed by a modern and creative team.

aka give it to People Can Fly. Painkiller was the best old-style game I played in ages. And then Bulletstorm took that and added unique ideas to it (they even made the 2 weapon limit feel alright, but it would have been nice to have all the weapons at your disposal)

geebee

Banned
Prime crotch said:
What you think the aliens do with the women they capture? It's not very subtle about it.
It's a mature title as thousands of other games with killing are. But a slight hint that a female character may or may not have been raped by an alien and it's "How could they?! Fuck the creators of this!" ?

MNC

Since when is it tolerable to have unmarked spoilers, even if they're ridiculously stupid and are about a duke game

Can someone explain to me what's so old school about this game? It plays exactly the same as any Halo wannabe you get nowadays, with its regenerating health, two weapon limit and not a lot of secrets.

saunderez

geebee said:
It's a mature title as thousands of other games with killing are. But a slight hint that a female character may or may not have been raped by an alien and it's "How could they?! Fuck the creators of this!" ?
Not to mention the fact that this aspect of the game originated in Duke3D.

I don't see how this is any different than any other "alien impregnates human host" story except for the fact a joke is made of it.

scytheavatar said:
Can someone explain to me what's so old school about this game? It plays exactly the same as any Halo wannabe you get nowadays, with its regenerating health, two weapon limit and not a lot of secrets.

The humour mainly. It doesn't take itself seriously which is a trait lacking in most games these days. Apart from that the only other old school part of the game is the interactivity, these days usually nothing in the environment is interactive in a FPS game.

saunderez said:
Fuck over P.C. zealous assholes like yourself who can't take a joke.

I´m not saying anything about the scene in itself now, but people on the internet need to learn that you´re not P.C. just because you don´t think absolutely everything is funny.

Suairyu

Banned
1 - It's quite obviously rape. Anyone denying that is either stupid or desperately clawing to find a way to intellectually defend their game.

2 - Duke doesn't need intellectually defending. That's the point. If you're fine with playing a game where death and mutilation and violence is played for laughs, you cannot intelligently find issue with a rape joke - itself a joke about violence and (ultimately, when the birth happens) mutilation and death.

I mean, if someone takes offense at the rape joke and the death, mutilation and violence (and as a result doesn't agree with most mainstream games either), then I can respect their point of view. If not, fuck 'em.

MNC said:
Since when is it tolerable to have unmarked spoilers, even if they're ridiculously stupid and are about a duke game
Are you talking about the rape discussion? That's the very concept of the game itself, present in Duke3D and the reason he fights those alien bastards. It'd be like saying it's a spoiler to know you'll be shooting things.

saunderez

CecilRousso said:
I´m not saying anything about the scene in itself now, but people on the internet need to learn that you´re not P.C. just because you don´t think absolutely everything is funny.
I know that. But this is Duke Nukem we're talking about. It's like South Park in many ways, you expect it to be vulgar and anti-P.C. because that's who Duke is. If you don't like vulgarity then this game isn't for you. I'm just sick of the P.C. brigade storming in on their white horses thinking they should tell me what I should be offended by, thats all it comes down to in the end.

geebee said:
What exactly is mature about this title? The fagg joke, the shit throwing, the twins whose only role is to suck dick and to die later?
Why this, or any kind of shit-throwing at minoritiy groups, is more alarming than the player killing npc's, is because it's reflective of an issue that affects society; all the alien murdering isn't even an allegory for war, it's just whack-a-mole.

saunderez said:
Fuck over P.C. zealous assholes like yourself who can't take a joke.
ahah! yes, those girls got fucked up! get it? because they were figuratively and literally fucked! hi5 bro

Fuck you for finding this shit acceptable.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Condemned 2 was a great and totally sick game. FEAR 2 - now that's was a bit dissapoining, because they toned down AI.

Phonomezer said:
The most offensive thing about this is that it isn't funny.

Nope. It´s one thing to think that it fits with the game and is a part of the story, but surely no can think that that scens is actually funny?

MNC

Suairyu said:
1 - It's quite obviously rape. Anyone denying that is either stupid or desperately clawing to find a way to intellectually defend their game.

2 - Duke doesn't need intellectually defending. That's the point. If you're fine with playing a game where death and mutilation and violence is played for laughs, you cannot intelligently find issue with a rape joke - itself a joke about violence and (ultimately, when the birth happens) mutilation and death.

I mean, if someone takes offense at the rape joke and the death, mutilation and violence (and as a result doesn't agree with most mainstream games either), then I can respect their point of view. If not, fuck 'em.

Are you talking about the rape discussion? That's the very concept of the game itself, present in Duke3D and the reason he fights those alien bastards. It'd be like saying it's a spoiler to know you'll be shooting things.
More or less the death of Mary and Kate. Yes, to be expected given the premises, but it's still a spoiler.

geebee

Banned
Prime crotch said:
What exactly is mature about this title? The fagg joke, the shit throwing, the twins whose only role is to suck dick and to die later?
Why this, or any kind of shit-throwing at minoritiy groups, is more alarming than the player killing npc's, is because it's reflective of an issue that affects society; all the alien murdering isn't even an allegory for war, it's just whack-a-mole.
Should have clarified.. I meant that the game is a Mature rated title.. we all know the content of the game is not so mature and intelligent.

You could argue that any negative action made in any video game reflects current issues that affect society. Do you get this concerned over other negative content in video games?

geebee said:
You could argue that any negative action made in any video game reflects current issues that affect society. Do you get this concerned over other negative content in video games?
If it's played for laughs or just as inconsequential, sure; more so if it's similar to this case. It's especially worrying with video games because the hardcore audience eats this up like it's candy.

Klyka

Banned
We had the impregnated women in Duke 3D already, so seeing them now didn't do anything to me apart from "oh hey,they brought them back, with better looking titties!"

jgminto

The whole aliens impregnating women didn't really bother me, it's classic science fiction. But what was really odd was the tone they used for it. That whole level was fairly serious for most part. I feel that they should have gone less serious because that segment didn't fit with the rest of the game.

McNum

Prime crotch said:
If it's played for laughs or just as inconsequential, sure. It's especially worrying in video games because the hardcore audience eats this up like it's candy.
But it's not inconsequential. It's Duke's primary motivation in the game. Duke is an unashamed hedonist, but "Those alien bastards are gonna PAY!" does not sound like someone who doesn't take the kidnapping seriously. In fact, Duke was kind of bored with the aliens until they started kidnapping women.

I'll admit that The Hive level was genuinely disturbing and uncomfortable. Which was kind of refreshing, really. I like it when a game tries to be disturbing and uncomfortable like that, most games play it so safe that it gets stale and boring.
Then the two comic relief twins get brutally killed off
and I was in complete agreement with Duke there. Those alien bastards were gonna PAY for that.

Is it offensive? Oh, hell yes it is. Is it wrong to be offensive some times? No. Just be ready to deal with the fallout, but people have a right to offend. So do games, and I'm actually happy that Duke Nukem Forever isn't pulling its punches here. It's horrible, insensitive, and creepy. It will make a lot of people angry, and several more disgusted. And when was the last time a video game had the guts to do that?

How pissed can he really be after dropping that iceburn right before their gruesome death.

Also, guts? What is gutsy about pulling yet another edgy joke, I guess after a lot of outdated ones it might look so.
It's the tone that is problematic. The pod women in Duke3D were always a creepy element, but they never got into a scripted joke routine.

Klyka

Banned
Duke Nukem doesn't save the world to "save the world". He fights the aliens because they a) fuck with him and b) fuck with/up the women HE wants to fuck.

The hive levels, in both old and new game, are there for multiple things:

First, to shock. They are in there so people go "HOLY SHIT did you see that Duke Nukem game? That shit is SOOO crazy man, there's like naked chicks who were raped by aliens and their stomachs explode! And you can totally see their tits, it's awesome man!"
This was more relevant in the old game than in this one,because nowadays if we want to see fucked up stuff we go on the Internet and we have been desensualized anyway. Second AvP movie anyone? That shit was WORSE than what Duke did here.

Secondly to show off that Duke cares about fucking chicks. He doesn't care about "the" chicks, but he cares about not being able to bang them. They are vaginas on legs and if they aliens take them he can't bang them. This makes him "cool" or "90's cool" because he is a badass man who treats women like sex objects and nothing else.

Klyka said:
Secondly to show off that Duke cares about fucking chicks. He doesn't care about "the" chicks, but he cares about not being able to bang them. They are vaginas on legs and if they aliens take them he can't bang them. This makes him "cool" or "90's cool" because he is a badass man who treats women like sex objects and nothing else.
Problem is, nobody whos a fan sees Duke as nothing but an awesome dude.
Always Bet on The Duke.

Klyka

Banned
True, but making a new game also means new people will get to play it and those people need to be MADE INTO fans!

geebee

Banned
Prime crotch said:
Problem is, nobody whos a fan sees Duke as nothing but an awesome dude.
Always Bet on The Duke.
I think you're taking it all a bit too seriously. Everyone knows the character is one bad joke/parody of American tough guy stereotypes. Nobody plays them to be educated or enlightened.

Top Bottom