• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeon Defenders |OT| |XBLA PSN PC MAC iOS ANDROID| cross-platform coming soon

Man these Djinn are a piece of work. They eat through defenses like none other on nightmare.

I really like the whole art style of the new map, it looks great.

Holy eff. Killer Thom Yorke avatar!

Me and 3 coworkers bought a 4pack and are playing at lunch. Today was our 2nd session. We are playing ranked.

Problem is, everytime we quit the game, our character is lost. Anything we are missing ?? Losing our character 2 lunches in a row sucks.

Otherwise, seems like a very fun and deep game !

Send us your LOG files. We have added in functionality for you to also send us your Logs. The logs will allow Jer and the team to go through everything your computer is doing when it's running the game. This can allow them to see what code is causing errors and almost guarantees a fix!

To enable Log Files:

In the Dungeon Defenders Launcher, select Configure. From this menu select the empty 'Command' dialogue box and type: -dowritelog

Then save and launch! Now when your game crashes you can send us the Log File. To find the Log go:
Program Files(x86) > Steam > SteamApps > common > Dungeon Defenders > UDKGame > Logs

Please note that Logs don't happen automaticaly. They can cause slow down in game so we don't keep the function on. Anytime you want to write logs you must -dowritelog in the command.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
LOG-ren-and-stimpy-1552749-500-400.jpg

Beaulieu

Send us your LOG files. We have added in functionality for you to also send us your Logs. The logs will allow Jer and the team to go through everything your computer is doing when it's running the game. This can allow them to see what code is causing errors and almost guarantees a fix!

To enable Log Files:

In the Dungeon Defenders Launcher, select Configure. From this menu select the empty 'Command' dialogue box and type: -dowritelog

Then save and launch! Now when your game crashes you can send us the Log File. To find the Log go:
Program Files(x86) > Steam > SteamApps > common > Dungeon Defenders > UDKGame > Logs

Please note that Logs don't happen automaticaly. They can cause slow down in game so we don't keep the function on. Anytime you want to write logs you must -dowritelog in the command.

Thanks man

To be clear tho' there is no crash hapenning. We play the 4 of us, on the ranked part of the game. When we quit and boot the game again, our character is gone.

I think this may have to do with the servers here at work ? They open the ports to play MP games only on lunch breaks so maybe theres some security or something erasing our characters ?

Anyways I will send you guys 4 log files tomorrow I guess.

Very good support : )

Anyone want a free copy of Dungeon Defenders on Steam? The first five people to quote this post will get one. <3
I'm tempted to because my wife and I play on the PS3, but I didn't know that the DLC wasn't coming out for it. Then I think I would have to buy the DLC twice, once for me and once for her, and that's irksome...

It's very generous of you, regardless.

<fence-sitting>

I'm tempted to because my wife and I play on the PS3, but I didn't know that the DLC wasn't coming out for it. Then I think I would have to buy the DLC twice, once for me and once for her, and that's irksome...

It's very generous of you, regardless.

<fence-sitting>

I'd want one to give a friend but just told you earlier that I bought the 4 pack so I am a little ashamed to ask for another copy. Oh well.

Don't worry about it guys. Check your PMs. :^)

Two left!

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
*Searches Hitmonchan's post*

Control+F "make" : 0 results found
Control+F "making" : 0 results found
Control+F "it" : 0 results found
Control+F "rain" : 0 results found

I am disappointed.

Ah. Too bad. A bit too slow. Thought I could get one for my gf. Grats to the others that got it. Great game. Put 60 hours in local-Ranked Games with my gf

Too bad the Shard-DLC isnt on sale right now. Any chance the Shard-DLC will be in some sale in the future?
Really tempted to buy it.

balddemon

Banned
Anyone want a free copy of Dungeon Defenders on Steam? The first five people to quote this post will get one. <3

oh god are you serious
the one time i get home and watch basketball instead of getting on the computer
curse you march madness

i think my dad already owns it anyways lol

Ah. Too bad. A bit too slow. Thought I could get one for my gf. Grats to the others that got it. Great game. Put 60 hours in local-Ranked Games with my gf

Too bad the Shard-DLC isnt on sale right now. Any chance the Shard-DLC will be in some sale in the future?
Really tempted to buy it.

I don't think the Shards DLC will be on sale anytime soon.

vaelic

Banned
hey guys, I tried the demo and love it, however, I tried online in the demo and it couldnt find any custom games or quick match games. Is multi dead on the PC?

Taffer

hey guys, I tried the demo and love it, however, I tried online in the demo and it couldnt find any custom games or quick match games. Is multi dead on the PC?

I think the demo's an old version of the game so you'll only be able to play with other demo players.

Is there a way to assign the "move camera" function to my right-click mouse button? I try to do this in the control settings and the game doesn't seem to want to let me do so. I might just have to figure out a way to implement the PS3 controller if not, because pushing a keyboard button to move my screen feels very dyslexic.

Edit: Very strange. I can edit the configuration file to make my mouse button the camera mover, but not the actual configuration screen (if that makes sense). It works on my wife's computer, though.

I wish I could say I am, but I'm just not there yet!

I started playing last night and got to 27 with my Apprentice. Now I'm trying to find a low level genie to invest in. Up to The Summit, been doing every level on Hardcore to level faster.

I messed around with the Barbarian a bit on my wife's computer, and he's pretty snazzy. I can't wait to try out some of his stances and abilities. Definitely her style.

The PC version is waaaay different from the PS3 one. I feel like stats do more in the PC version or something. My MM towers do ~430 per hit with only +50 damage here, and I think they hit for about 420 at +90 on the PS3. It must be for Nightmare balancing or something, but it has made a lot of things a lot easier. I'm sure having an idea of what I am doing helps, too.

I wish I could say I am, but I'm just not there yet!

I started playing last night and got to 27 with my Apprentice. Now I'm trying to find a low level genie to invest in. Up to The Summit, been doing every level on Hardcore to level faster.

I messed around with the Barbarian a bit on my wife's computer, and he's pretty snazzy. I can't wait to try out some of his stances and abilities. Definitely her style.

The PC version is waaaay different from the PS3 one. I feel like stats do more in the PC version or something. My MM towers do ~430 per hit with only +50 damage here, and I think they hit for about 420 at +90 on the PS3. It must be for Nightmare balancing or something, but it has made a lot of things a lot easier. I'm sure having an idea of what I am doing helps, too.

The Apprentice's towers are bugged in the console version. (A fix for which is coming in the console patch.) That's probably where you're seeing the difference.

Are you guys enjoying the new DLC content?

Yeah. I played the new campaign mission a bit yesterday. At first it was a bit confusing to get around, but after a while you get the map-layout.
Really like the music and overall design of the map.
Plays a bit like Glitterhelm.

Just a question. If I buy one for my gf, who is currently in China, I can still play with her, right?

Yeah. I played the new campaign mission a bit yesterday. At first it was a bit confusing to get around, but after a while you get the map-layout.
Really like the music and overall design of the map.
Plays a bit like Glitterhelm.

Just a question. If I buy one for my gf, who is currently in China, I can still play with her, right?

I believe if she's on your Steam friends list, you should be able to play together.

One last (but maybe stupid) Question.

If she is using Mac and I am using Windows, we can still play together? Thanks for answering all these questions~

Javaman

I'm a little dissapointed by the mp servers that are out there. Some are just stores pretending to be games in the game list and most of the rest are elitists who don't want to let you build or even fight unless you have similar high gear. As time goes on there's a wider chasm between the haves and have nots and the games that are joinable are becoming rarer and rarer. The best bet is to just play with friends. Hitman, I would love to see a new mode with "naked" challenges or maps where you have to beat it with prerolled stats and items. Maybe give a certain number or DU that each class can use to keep one class from doing all the buildimg. This would give people a game mode that they could join and all be on an even level. Perhaps give a reward at the end that can be used on the normal maps and challenges.

I'm a little dissapointed by the mp servers that are out there. Some are just stores pretending to be games in the game list and most of the rest are elitists who don't want to let you build or even fight unless you have similar high gear. As time goes on there's a wider chasm between the haves and have nots and the games that are joinable are becoming rarer and rarer. The best bet is to just play with friends. Hitman, I would love to see a new mode with "naked" challenges or maps where you have to beat it with prerolled stats and items. Maybe give a certain number or DU that each class can use to keep one class from doing all the buildimg. This would give people a game mode that they could join and all be on an even level. Perhaps give a reward at the end that can be used on the normal maps and challenges.

That's certainly becoming more of an issue. But playing with randoms in any online game will lead to issues.

Your solution is interesting. I don't think it would go over well with the majority of our community, though. Loot has become such an integral part of the game, and to come out with content that would negate that might be off-putting. It's certainly something I would like to see. My favorite part of the game is the tower defense, and for me, I love it when loot is only necessary to do better, not to win.

Aieyla

Neo Member
While loot is a big part of the game, the number one complaint I see on the forums is that the game becomes a gear grind toward the end.

Like you, I'm all about the tower defense. I treat this like a strategy game with a very active player role. That means that when I can overpower the level, the game ceases to be fun. I like to have to work at it intellectually to come up with a "tower solution" that works for me.

From this, there are two sides:
1) The temptation is there to create a tower grid so perfect that I don't need to play a role at all. If I have to run around playing catchup for my towers, my instinct is that I'm just not doing it right. Back to the drawing board!
2) When I get the tower solution "right", my own participation is now largely meaningless, and I feel silly running around and gunning mobs when my towers are going to take care of it anyway. I try not to be rude in games with DPS characters when they say "I'm being overrun, cover for me!", and I know that as soon as they back off it just means my towers are going to get to do their work, and there's nothing to worry about.

I did 14 waves of survival Hall of Court today for a Genie, and a level 74 joined. All he had to do was place 8 towers (2 at each major ramp), and nothing ever penetrated them (MM and FB). I ended up stacking the map with Deadly Striker towers because, hey, why not? Now, obviously it makes good sense that someone in Mythics can come in and destroy things at normal difficulty, but the sense I got from some players is that in Nightmare mode, with good gear, it's not very different.

I actually enjoyed starting over on the PC because it meant I couldn't bully the levels for a while. When an Ogre comes on the screen in the second level, I have to kite that guy around while letting my towers pelt on him, slowly wittling him away with craptastic low level magic missile fire - lovely! In contrast, after a day of playing I am level 37, and I mostly track down Ogres just to amuse myself at how fast they go down without any effort on my end. It's just not as satisfying. I bought the game on the PS3 after rocking the demo for a good 10 hours straight. I even beat the "Unlikely Allies" challenge at...level 10 I think? It took me at least 11 attempts, because double Ogres for a level 10 is really hard to deal with. Eventually, after a lot of experimentation, I got it though, and it felt amazing. I really had to master blocking with my Squire while also pumping in DPS when I could while maintaining the focus of each Ogre so it didn't mess with my Ogre - exhilarating! In general, though, I never see Squires even block - they just hack through everything because the waves are so huge that it's not a realistic approach to the game.

I'm not criticizing Dungeon Defenders - I love it. I just thought I would pitch in my two cents about what in the game has been fun for me, and what has not been fun.

Also, I noticed you asking someone on another forum why someone would want to AFK during survival mode in this game. The simple answer is that the waves in survival mode are ridiculously long, often taking a half hour to an hour just to complete one wave. That's a LOT of time to dedicate to the game, especially when life demands are all around us. The natural question that occurred to me - and certainly not just me - is whether I could accomplish the long, tedious survival waves while also reading a book on the side, or cleaning my house. Why not hit two birds with one stone? This goes back to what makes the game fun or not fun. I don't need to be working my butt off to complete these survival waves, so why would I? It would be a false sense of active participation because I know my towers can handle it.

If each wave was a very involved and difficult 5-10 minutes, I think the mode would be more enjoyable. The vast majority of the time during each survival wave is filler anyway - things that have no hope at all of bypassing my defenses. Why not cut all that out and pre-program structured waves that are very difficult, but not necessarily long? I would welcome that, and I don't think I'm alone on that score. Regardless, I do think it's just silly to go from, say, 4000 to 7000 mobs between two waves. I won't ramble about how each wave could be made more difficult without substantially increasing the wave size - I've gone on long enough!

Edit: Oops! I realized after posting this that I am on my wife's account. I am using her computer right now, and did not notice that she was logged in as herself. This post was written by Karsticles. My apologies for the confusion.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
an hour just to complete one wave

270 hours played and that's news to me. There has to be something very, very wrong for an entire wave to last an entire hour.

Entire survival runs can take a few hours that's true, but going through 25-35 waves in that time and with breaks after each wave (you can make the break last long as you want it to last).

And you saying you never see Squires using block, that more to do with who you play with and the situations players find themselves in during a game.

I agree about survival taking so long. It's my own only real major complaint but even so, it's survival mode. I think many folks would be disappointed if you could simply zip through it in a few minutes.

Survival mode isn't essential when it comes to playing the game. I think the better loot found in survival helps you progress further in survival only and the majority, if not all, of the game's content can be completed and enjoyed without touching it.

I think are various options that could be explored in what could be done with it without taking away from the core of what that mode is suppose to be about.

Javaman

That's certainly becoming more of an issue. But playing with randoms in any online game will lead to issues.

Your solution is interesting. I don't think it would go over well with the majority of our community, though. Loot has become such an integral part of the game, and to come out with content that would negate that might be off-putting. It's certainly something I would like to see. My favorite part of the game is the tower defense, and for me, I love it when loot is only necessary to do better, not to win.
Yeah, I don't mean for that to be a solution, just another optional game mode. I really like the rpg and gear elements and would hate to see that go away. It would be neat though to have additional challenges that you have to think about rather then simply power leveling/iteming through.

Aieyla

Neo Member
There are so many good mode possibilities, it's exciting. Who wouldn't love a mode where you play as the monster side, RTS-style? Haha.

270 hours played and that's news to me. There has to be something very, very wrong for an entire wave to last an entire hour.

Entire survival runs can take a few hours that's true, but going through 25-35 waves in that time and with breaks after each wave (you can make the break last long as you want it to last).
It was a range. My thinking was that since I've had rounds go for over 30 minutes even at earlier stages, they could probably go up to an hour much later (I think my max is round 17). Of course, my main character is an Apprentice on the PS3, and according to Hitmonchan his towers are borked. That could contribute to how long the rounds take.

And you saying you never see Squires using block, that more to do with who you play with and the situations players find themselves in during a game.
Unless mobs are going to 1-shot you, it seems like being an offensive player would pay off more when dealing with masses of mobs. It's not like you can block an attack and then counterattack in huge waves as you can with a single Ogre.

I agree about survival taking so long. It's my own only real major complaint but even so, it's survival mode. I think many folks would be disappointed if you could simply zip through it in a few minutes.
Survival mode doesn't mean "takes a long time". For example, one way of doing survival mode, which likely would not work well for Dungeon Defenders, is that of fighting games: you don't heal between rounds (or your crystal), and once you die, you're done. This would make the mode more about making consistent, smart decisions, and not simply AFKing.

Then, there are mob upgrades, which are another way to scale survival difficulty. There are also ways to scale difficulty via numbers that doesn't essentially mean "double the number". For example, a lot of levels have at least one survival wave that has a moment which is pretty much "all wyverns". You could structure the waves more like that, with specific and difficult hurdles to overcome instead of just waves of generality.

Trendy could also implement bosses into waves. Why NOT have the Goblin Mech show up as part of the wave?

Another idea is to go with a Diablo II-style mini-boss system for each mob, where each one generated has abilities which are randomly pulled from a list (extra fast, elemental immunities, huge HP allowing for "Mega Necromancers", etc.). Every 5 waves, add another ability, and the waves become much more difficult to deal with without radically increasing the duration on each level.

More enemy types. This is obviously happening all the time, and it's great for increasing survival difficulty. The easiest challenges in this game are Raining Goblins and Ogre Crush, IMO, because I only have to worry about one type of enemy, which means I can specialize against their type. New enemies with abilities like teleportation can help make levels active and fresh feeling all the time. Personally, I would love a mob that has a large tower shield in front of him that blocks ALL projectiles. Thus he would draw a lot of fire and make waves difficult, and you'd have to maneuver behind him to get the job done, turn him around, or have towers that fire in multiple directions. How about a sniper mob which intentionally keeps his distance and only attacks players? The Djinn can move towers; why not a kind of mob that can lock a tower down and disable it as long as he's alive?

I'm not saying any one of these is the perfect, or even a good, idea for survival mode. Rather, I'm trying to show that there are a huge number of ways to make each successive wave in survival mode feel more challenging without having to massively increase the number of mobs.

Survival mode isn't essential when it comes to playing the game. I think the better loot found in survival helps you progress further in survival only and the majority, if not all, of the game's content can be completed and enjoyed without touching it.
Pet farming, yah?

I think are various options that could be explored in what could be done with it without taking away from the core of what that mode is suppose to be about.
Clearly, I agree!

There are so many good mode possibilities, it's exciting. Who wouldn't love a mode where you play as the monster side, RTS-style? Haha.

I really want to see our modding community step up, because I wouldn't have a problem fighting to implement ideas like this. One of our community members is making a kickass map, and I can't wait to play it. But I would love to be able to play new modded gametypes.

Omfg, that looks gorgeous.

Its really a shame that the modding-community nowadays isnt that popular anymore compared to the beginning of the century.
I remember so many great maps and mods for HL1 or WC3.
Compared to Source-Engine-Games or SC2, it seems like the modding/mapping community shrank.

Top Bottom