• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeon Defenders |OT| |XBLA PSN PC MAC iOS ANDROID| cross-platform coming soon

mandiller

So what's the deal I hear about games not saving? Is everyone's save files disappearing or is it only affecting some people?

SLV

I guess that is what happened to me the first time,
i have gotten much farther now, hope save file doesnt dissapear again ;(

Sysgen

Not sure if it's been mentioned but I picked this tidbit up from from their forum:

I found mine (portal gun) lying on the floor near forge, in Tavern. Along with TF2 Familiars.

Portal gun is locked to Huntress only, and Familiars are Level 25 locked.

Tip: If you want to see what your familiars can do at level 25, *LOCK* them in to your Item list.., otherwise, when you hit "Sell ALL", you WILL NOT get them back.

Chesskid1

Banned
lvl 12 already.

plan on playing all day. feels like crack to me.

guess i'll try to beat it on easy for now. normal is so hard lol.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Tizoc said:
Wait based on the thread title...if I'm playing on PS3, I can play with someone who has it on 360?

Nope, but PS3 has crossplat with the others. 360 doesn't have crossplat, as Microsoft didn't allow it, the devs said. (You'd think it'd at LEAST crossplay with a GFWL version or something...)

No one knows how that's gonna work with the Steam pre-order bonuses, either...

SLV

Bossman said:
Ranked and local play use different saves.

Well i played local, and wanted to continue my local play, the character wasnt there, i had to start from the beggining :p Got to servants quarters and got my first dragon :p Afraid to shut down the game ;(

Tizoc

SAB CA said:
Nope, but PS3 has crossplat with the others. 360 doesn't have crossplat, as Microsoft didn't allow it, the devs said. (You'd think it'd at LEAST crossplay with a GFWL version or something...)

No one knows how that's gonna work with the Steam pre-order bonuses, either...
So PS3+PC is possible? Would be great to play with my brother since he plays on PC all the time.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Tizoc said:
So PS3+PC is possible? Would be great to play with my brother since he plays on PC all the time.

Yup. I'm not 100% sure if it's there out there box (was at their official site a few days back, and there was some stuff that needed to be finished post-release, like safe trade on 360 or something, by patches, but it's one of the selling points of this game, so have fun playing alongside your brother ^_^ I'll be joining mine in fights as well on 360 version.

Bisonian

Quick trip report on the PC version from 3 guys playing at work:

When you select an online game and not a local/splitscreen game, you get two choices "Open" and "Ranked". This is essentially like Diablo 2 all over again. Ranked simply means you play games on their server "Trendy.net" just like you would with Battle.net. Ranked gives you choices from public matchmaking, custom public, and private matches (unlisted, you have to invite your friends). Save games do not carry over between the two types, for obvious reasons.

We decided to try to level characters on their server, as when you join you get an advertisement for promotions and events they'll be running on there. That has turned out to be a nightmare honestly.

Trendy.net seems to drop people randomly every couple minutes, only once did we actually finish the first zone and only 2 people made it there. One of our guys lost his character completely (just a full wipe of his level 7 guy, all his gear, all his achievements, etc). When he tried to log back in, there was a generic named level 0 mage in it's place. It's understandable that they are having some massive server load on launch day, it's just unfortunate that it's killing all the fun.

When the game is running though it's great. Great co-op game, lots of strategy, pretty fast paced. I love the fact that it's an actual challenge, and with the tons of content I think it'll last quite a long time. The UI can be a mess (and it took a while to figure out how to find out what all the icons on items mean -> look for an "Item Info" menu and hover), but once you get it down it's not too bad. On a whole, looks like it'll be a great value for $10, whenever they get those servers fixed. I would recommend starting on "open"/local servers for now, and realizing that you'll have to start over whenever you want to experience whatever events the developer is running later on.

Gowans

Just checked out the trial on XBLA.

After Orcs Must die, the controls and camera on this feel terrible. Melee on the trigger arg and it feels like my locked looking down far to close.

I was hoping this was a great cross between Moba and Tower Defense I could get some friends into. Am I doing something wrong?

Hank The Tank

Neo Member
Gowans007 said:

After Orcs Must die, the controls and camera on this feel terrible. Melee on the trigger arg and it feels like my locked looking down far to close.

I was hoping this was a great cross between Moba and Tower Defense I could get some friends into. Am I doing something wrong?
You can switch melee to x or b or whatever :p

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Finaika said:
Is the PS3 version 30fps or 60fps?

30fps, but it's super smooth.

About the PS3 version, I'm having trouble figuring out how to pitch the camera. I can only seem to rotate it, but no pitch. What gives? There is even an invert pitch option in the menus and the How to Play video shows the camera getting low and behind the character. I can't replicate this. Any idea? Tried switching between different zoom levels and I'm still unable to pitch the camera.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I literally can't stay in a game 5 minutes without a crash or being disconnected. How disappointing. I guess I'll find something else to do until a patch hits.

Victrix

*beard*
Archie said:
I literally can't stay in a game 5 minutes without a crash or being disconnected. How disappointing. I guess I'll find something else to do until a patch hits.

If this happens to me after Rage, I will flip the fuck out

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

But if it works, ok

┬──┬ ノ( ゜-゜ノ)

Hank The Tank

Neo Member
TTP said:
30fps, but it's super smooth.

About the PS3 version, I'm having trouble figuring out how to pitch the camera. I can only seem to rotate it, but no pitch. What gives? There is even an invert pitch option in the menus and the How to Play video shows the camera getting low and behind the character. I can't replicate this. Any idea? Tried switching between different zoom levels and I'm still unable to pitch the camera.
There's some setting in the options that if enabled it disabled let's you pitch the camera...

Ceebs

Archie said:
Yeah 2 straight games I got dropped. Good to see they are working on it already.

Ceebs

Hollywood Duo said:
so if I have no friends who buy this game is it still worth getting? Will it be fun playing with randoms or is it just a waste?
I was have a decent time with randoms so far. The game is probably not winnable solo. It's sorta stupid hard by yourself.

Sysgen

Archie said:

We're currently in the process of upgrading TrendyNet to hopefully eliminate DC's and deleted chars. Half of this is server-side, whic should hopefully eliminate the deleted chars, and have of it is client-side, to eliminate the DC's. The server-side fix for deleted chars we hope to roll out in about an hour. The client-side fix for DC's will roll-out later today as part of the first hotfix.

I'm sorry guys, we hadn't been able to test TrendyNet at a full scale prior to release (though we did try simulated scale tests, they clearly weren't as intense as the real deal). We'll either have TrendyNet fixed pretty definitively -today-, or we'll disable it entirely while we work on further redesign. We'll let you know as soon as the server-side TrendyNet change goes live.

As for losing your data in a local game due to a crash, that should be fixed later today with the implementation of backup save system. Of course, we'll also be analyzing any and all crashes over the coming days to nail each one down in turn.

The first hotfix later should also include fixes for the Japanese-etc language startup issue, and the 7-speaker-setup-yields-no-sound bug, among others.

-Jeremy

Rad-

I guess I'm stupid but is there a way to lock to a target? Tried all the buttons but it's not locking it, pretty annoying for the hunter class.

Ceebs

Hollywood Duo said:
Thanks, any consensus on what the best platform is?
When you log in there are a bunch of events and free update type stuff planned, so I would guess PC since free updates are kinda spotty on the consoles. It also has a mod launcher so I guess they are releasing some sort of SDK or mod tools as well.

Victrix

*beard*
Off to a great start. Rebound all my keys and they half rebound.

Fucking hate pc gaming. So sick of this bullshit.

edit:

Sure enough, checked the config file (OH BOY CHECKING CONFIG FILES FUN) and there are keys not shown on the menu that are bound by default

C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\dungeon defenders\UDKGame\Config\UDKInput.ini

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Hank The Tank said:
There's some setting in the options that if enabled it disabled let's you pitch the camera...

The only other camera option is the auto adjust one, which a) does nothing per se and b) doesn't make pitch work whatever I set it to.

The tutorial video even shows a 3d person camera view accessible by changing the zoom levels. Nothing like that is actually in the game as zoom level switching sticks with birds eye view. It's so annoying.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
TTP said:
The tutorial video even shows a 3d person camera view accessible by changing the zoom levels. Nothing like that is actually in the game as zoom level switching sticks with birds eye view. It's so annoying.

Using the R stick to toggle on the 360, I easily found the 3rd person style view. It's basically the "last" option you have before it resets far out.

Is it not available on PC? It is pretty nice to use for playing a shooting class, so I hope it's there!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
SAB CA said:
Using the R stick to toggle on the 360, I easily found the 3rd person style view. It's basically the "last" option you have before it resets far out.

Is it not available on PC? It is pretty nice to use for playing a shooting class, so I hope it's there!

Will try the 360 demo. There is nothing like that on PS3, despite the tutorial video showing exactly what you described.

Tried with both the Move and the DS3 btw. There is simply no way to go 3rd person.

Victrix

*beard*
Played a bit with some friends. Game is stupendously fucking awesome.

PC gaming shit is total crap, but oh well. THEY'LL PATCH IT/ITS JUST A BETA/YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THE TRAVAILS OF THE DEVELOPER

Meier

Surprised at the overwhelmingly positive reviews. Saw it on the Steam homepage and thought the graphics were garish and ugly so wrote it off.

MRORANGE

a lot of fun, finally got to understand all the concepts, half of the stuff on screen like stats don't really help at this point, not sure on how to use items to there advantage but overall it's a pretty fun game with friends.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Think I've figured the Y issue out. For camera pitch control to work you need to be sure the option to swap shoulders buttons with face buttons is *unchecked*.

That said, cam pitch control and 3rd person view only work with DS3, not the Move. Which doesn't make sense.

I wanted to get this game early but I didn't! Now that the pre-order price is gone, I might just jump on the 14.99 or if someone has an extra copy from the 4 pack, let me know!

MRORANGE

over 14,000 players on steam:

tJEiL.jpg

Einbroch

Banned
Downloading the PS3 demo right now.

PS3 version for me if I pull the trigger. Trophies and I can play with everyone else (except 360)? Nice.

Gowans007 said:

Not really... the game is pretty meh. Spend your money on better XBLA games.

Ceebs

That may explain why their servers are being murdered non stop. I just got DC'd on the last wave of the second map. That is as far as I have gotten so far.

I think I prefer the Squire as my class.

HATED the huntress. Slow attacks and no towers!
Mage was ok, and want to kinda learn the game before trying Monk.

MRORANGE

Einbroch said:
Downloading the PS3 demo right now.

PS3 version for me if I pull the trigger. Trophies and I can play with everyone else (except 360)? Nice.

xbox live is pretty much a closed platform so there by themselves.

Top Bottom