• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeon Defenders |OT| |XBLA PSN PC MAC iOS ANDROID| cross-platform coming soon

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Bummer on launch issues. I was playing when it launched for 4 hours and had zero problems, lag, or anything. Just talking with some guys and someone who played another version was giving me heads up on a lot of stuff.

Melee targeting like I said isn't the best. I'd like some animations to be shorter too so I can dodge some of those bigger guys easier. And if you get too many mobs together if you jump on one guy you will 'crowd surf' and get hit a lot. No fun.
Ceebs said:
That may explain why their servers are being murdered non stop. I just got DC'd on the last wave of the second map. That is as far as I have gotten so far.

I think I prefer the Squire as my class.

HATED the huntress. Slow attacks and no towers!
Mage was ok, and want to kinda learn the game before trying Monk.
Huntress isn't bad at all, she just can lay fire + gas to hold them and pretty much kill any wave.

Euphor!a

Banned
Anyone else having a problem playing online? Whenever I press quick match or whatever it doesn't even attempt to find a game and just says "Failed to search for games"

Anyone know what the deal is?

garath

How's the game with just two players? A buddy and I really enjoy co-op tower defense and this seems right up our alley. I'd prefer no randoms though.

I'm reading unwinnable solo, what about 2 players?

Psy-Phi

garath said:
How's the game with just two players? A buddy and I really enjoy co-op tower defense and this seems right up our alley. I'd prefer no randoms though.

Completely winnable solo, you just have to work your ass off, and be happy with losing some health on the thing you protect. Did it on iOS, can only be easier with an actual input device.

Phloxy

garath said:

You can easily beat the game with two players. Have at it.

Hey, guys!

The patch is now live. Hopefully this will alleviate some of the disconnecting and character wiping. It's looking on good on our end. Please let us know if this continues to happen.

We're sorry about the launch issues. We're working as hard as we can to get everything smoothed out.

I'll keep you guys posted on any additional patch details.

Euphor!a

Banned
Hitmonchan107 said:
Hey, guys!

The patch is now live. Hopefully this will alleviate some of the disconnecting and character wiping. It's looking on good on our end. Please let us know if this continues to happen.

We're sorry about the launch issues. We're working as hard as we can to get everything smoothed out.

I'll keep you guys posted on any additional patch details.

Was working fine, now I can't connect to TrendyNet...

Edit: This is after the update.

R1CHO

Brief feelings:

Playing solo is boring as hell *

Multi seems fine.

Game looks good.

Splitscreen on PC is always a plus.

* Orcs must die is a better experience in that regard.

Euphor!a said:
Was working fine, now I can't connect to TrendyNet...

Edit: This is after the update.
We're still working on the disconnects, but it looks like the patch fixed the character wipes.

Thanks for keeping us updated. I'll update this thread with any additional patch updates as soon as they're available.

Euphor!a

Banned
Hitmonchan107 said:
We're still working on the disconnects, but it looks like the patch fixed the character wipes.

Thanks for keeping us updated. I'll update this thread with any additional patch updates as soon as they're available.

Good to hear.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
In a way, I think this game has everything I like about Orcs Must Die.... just split over 4 characters.

When I played alone, as the Squire, I felt no synergy with my traps at all. I really enjoyed the melee personally (The "Auto-target onto what you're hitting, instant-block if you get into trouble" worked realy well for him), but his traps just held stuff back, and didn't offer that "cause a concusive chain og fun!" feel from OMD.

But then I pulled my brother into playing... And he set up Mage Fireball towers behind my barriers. It was like making mini-trenches anywhere we wished. Or paring my attack barriers with his Ability drain ones...

Later on, we tried a Huntress with a Monk. (I'm really sorry if there's no 3rd person view with the huntress on other platforms... I barely see how she can work at full potential without it!) The D.O.T fields of the Monk mesh so well with the A.O.E effects of the Huntress. Since everything they have effects wide areas, we were able to trail enemies through stuns and slows all day, letting the significant enemies who survive finally be felled by the Huntress ability to snipe all over the battlefield. Considering the poor Squire has no ability to shoot at all, this was very freeing. The Monk looked to be a solid hybrid character, with his ability to shoot as well as melee with ease.

Really looking forward to getting in deep with the game. It's colorful style is very plesant to me (messy in a way, yes, but it kinda reminds me of old PC of 16 bit games, which had a lot of garish tones and design choices, but they all made it fun and light-hearted), and I love the fact that your handdrawn character art actually takes on the custom colors you put onto your 3D model (I wish this was standard in all games!). Huge weapons, victory cheers from the characters upon winning, substantial changes when you level something up... it just feels like the underlying details are getting everything right, overall.

Looking forward to playing more later in the day!

notsol337 said:
So far, my steam install on this game has restarted twice.

I'm a sad, sad panda.
If you have an anti-virus program running, it could be an issue with that. Try disabling it and run the install again.

MRORANGE

Ceebs said:
and another trendynet DC as we were fighting the Ogre on stage 2.

Yet to finish this stage thanks to DC's.

same :| we got onto wave 5/6 and got disconnected, does anyone know if the loot is still saved from disconnected rounds?

R1CHO

I cant connect to the trendynet thing, but the other online mode works fine.

Its a good idea to have both methods, and be able of use your offline character in the "non secure" one.

PS: Best seller on steam and +16k players right now, congrats Hitmonchan107

Volimar

I played the demo on 360 and found it to be pretty fun. I'm super strapped for cash right now though (my 22 year old gas stove no longer functions correctly; savings about to be destroyed). I'll keep my eye on it though.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Played a bunch today, both offline and online splitscreen with a friend. It really feels like Trendy thought of everything when it comes to playing multiplayer. Just a great experience.

One thing I'd like to know, though, is if it's possible to change your character's color and crystal shape post-creation.

Other than that small thing, though, I absolutely LOVE the game and will definitely spend a ton of time with it.

(Also, is cross-platform play up and running? If so, how does that work?)

Ceebs

R1CHO said:
PS: Best seller on steam and +16k players right now, congrats Hitmonchan107

I think that's about 50K copies day one. Good going guys.

One thing I'd like to know, though, is if it's possible to change your character's color and crystal shape post-creation.

When you are selecting your character there is an edit button.

Seraphis Cain said:
(Also, is cross-platform play up and running? If so, how does that work?)
Cross-platform play is something we're trying to have up soon. It's going to be unranked, and it's going to use GameSpy's servers. We use GameSpy for PC/PS3/mobile. At any time, players can switch between GameSpy servers and Steam servers through the configure option on the launcher.

As soon as cross-platform is available, we'll make sure everyone knows about it. (My boss just said that, "We'll vomit it all over the Internet." He's a little more colorful with the language.)

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Awesome game, but the TrendyNet disconnects are getting pretty annoying.

Actually, TrendyNet is going under maintenance right now. It will be down for the next 30 minutes, and hopefully that fixes the errors.

(And sorry for the dp. I wanted to make sure that everyone saw the update.)

xelios

Hitmonchan107 said:
Actually, TrendyNet is going under maintenance right now. It will be down for the next 30 minutes, and hopefully that fixes the errors.

Alright, cuz it kicked me, then I got back on just now and played to next to last wave, then just got kicked again. Hope it's the last time. =p

Bisonian

Made new Trendy.net characters, played until the end of the first area, disconnected.
Reconnected after a minute, played until the end of the first area, disconnected.

This game could be so good, I hope you guys get it working with this next maintenance :( If you could do us a favor and let us know when the maintenance is finished on here I'd love to give it another stab. For example we were playing up until about a minute ago so not sure if maintenance just started or what the deal is.

Bisonian said:
Made new Trendy.net characters, played until the end of the first area, disconnected.
Reconnected after a minute, played until the end of the first area, disconnected.

This game could be so good, I hope you guys get it working with this next maintenance :( If you could do us a favor and let us know when the maintenance is finished on here I'd love to give it another stab. For example we were playing up until about a minute ago so not sure if maintenance just started or what the deal is.
Will do!

Hitmonchan107 said:

Thanks for working hard to fix the servers and keeping us updated. Just bought 2 copies of the game for my friend and I, we hope to be able to play Open at least. We will double dip when the game gets released on Euro PSN, shame it wasn't out today.

xelios

Maybe it's a dumb question, or I haven't found gear that can be upgraded yet, but I can't seem to invest any banked mana in any equipment. What am I doing wrong?

Hanzou

xelios said:
Maybe it's a dumb question, or I haven't found gear that can be upgraded yet, but I can't seem to invest any banked mana in any equipment. What am I doing wrong?

yeah I am confused with this mechanic as well.

Ceebs

Trendynet kicked me again.

xelios said:
You have to hold down the invest button on the upgrade screen and it will move the arrow.

xelios

I completed a level successfully, finally. No more kicks yet for me.

Ceebs said:
You have to hold down the invest button on the upgrade screen and it will move the arrow.

I'm not even getting an invest button on anything, even when it glows blue. I see Investment right above the gauge but nothing is clickable. Dunno what the deal is. I'm stupid or blind.

xelios said:
I completed a level successfully, finally. No more kicks yet for me.

I'm not even getting an invest button on anything, even when it glows blue. I see Investment right above the gauge but nothing is clickable. Dunno what the deal is. I'm stupid or blind.
Make sure that the weapons/gear you are trying to level can be leveled. It will say "Level 1/8" or something like that if it can be leveled.

xelios

Hitmonchan107 said:
Make sure that the weapons/gear you are trying to level can be leveled. It will say "Level 1/8" or something like that if it can be leveled.

It can. I have gear and a pet that can be leveled, but I only see the gauge at the bottom with "Investment" above it, and it tells me how much mana I have banked and how much it takes to level the item. Nothin' to click on though.

Top Bottom