• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeon Defenders |OT| |XBLA PSN PC MAC iOS ANDROID| cross-platform coming soon

Alright wtf. I was playing online with 3 other randoms when I lost connection. When I tried to play single player, I lost all of my campaign progress and had to start over. Thankfully my mana bank and items did not reset.

edit: I just restarted my game and it went back to normal. Weird.

My only issue with the game right now is that the Huntress and the Monk feel way too weak for solo play. I feel like I have to flip the difficulty down to easy and grind out some levels before they're even slightly competitive by themselves. I understand that they are both insanely helpful support characters, but it's just a shame that half of the characters are basically unplayable in singleplayer.

Concept17

Played the demo with a friend and some randoms last night. Two tries and we lost both against the giant ogre.

Game seems very fun, and I'm very curious as to what its like later on. Three of us may end up purchasing, I'm just curious about a few things.

First being content. Just how many different levels/maps are there?
What is the max level for a single character?
Can you level up your items?
The tower types shown (up to level 15) in the demo, I think there are 5 or so. Is that all there is per character? Or are there more later on? Does the game become more about upgrading towers?

Didn't see anything of this in the OP.

Seventy5

jim-jam bongs said:
My only issue with the game right now is that the Huntress and the Monk feel way too weak for solo play. I feel like I have to flip the difficulty down to easy and grind out some levels before they're even slightly competitive by themselves. I understand that they are both insanely helpful support characters, but it's just a shame that half of the characters are basically unplayable in singleplayer.
Pump up your trap detonation stat. My prox bomb has 8 charges to start & as long as I repair enough I can own solo.

Ceebs

Playing with randoms can be kinda frustrating at times. Playing the mage can be rough if all the more combat capable classes go grab all the starting mana. You end up mana starved for a few waves vulturing their mana drops to even build stuff. That and people that think they should build 20 of their max tower hogging all the Defense Points.

Oh man, real impressive OP.

I can't wait until the Cross-Platform stuff goes active..gonna be great fun playing with my Steam friends.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
All I have to say right now is that I've never seen a feature in a game that makes me wish I could leap through the screen and punch another player more than this game's little "signal" thing (the thing that lets you send out a signal to the other players, for help and such). Most annoying voice samples EVER. And when people start spamming it...holy fuck my rage knows no bounds.

QisTopTier said:
Holy crap this game is so addicting
What platform are you playing on?

I'm level 22 at the moment and man, shit gets crazy when the boss shows up.

Seraphis Cain said:
All I have to say right now is that I've never seen a feature in a game that makes me wish I could leap through the screen and punch another player more than this game's little "signal" thing (the thing that lets you send out a signal to the other players, for help and such). Most annoying voice samples EVER. And when people start spamming it...holy fuck my rage knows no bounds.

"OOOOOOYYYYYYYYY" "OOOOOOYYYYYYYYY" "OOOOOOYYYYYYYYY" "OOOOOOYYYYYYYYY"

at least that is what it sounds like to me.

Concept17 said:
Played the demo with a friend and some randoms last night. Two tries and we lost both against the giant ogre.

Game seems very fun, and I'm very curious as to what its like later on. Three of us may end up purchasing, I'm just curious about a few things.

First being content. Just how many different levels/maps are there?
What is the max level for a single character?
Can you level up your items?
The tower types shown (up to level 15) in the demo, I think there are 5 or so. Is that all there is per character? Or are there more later on? Does the game become more about upgrading towers?

Didn't see anything of this in the OP.
Not that far in, but there seems to be a large selection of maps, with each having it own layout, to choose from. You have to unlock the previous map to gain the next one.

You can upgrade your gear, weapon, and familiar.

There are also also mana ability like Apprentice's Mana Bomb which is learned at level 20.

In the later maps, I think most of it is about survival and endurance to see how long you can hold out. Not sure if they demo lets you fight bosses, but daaaaaaa, the bosses fight are awesome.

Seventy5

Hyperfludd said:
Oh man, real impressive OP.

I can't wait until the Cross-Platform stuff goes active..gonna be great fun playing with my Steam friends.
I thought it was live across platforms already cuz there are a fuckton of games on the server list on PSN. Maybe it just sold very well. Well deserved if it did, its a very good game.

Seventy5 said:
I thought it was live across platforms already cuz there are a fuckton of games on the server list on PSN. Maybe it just sold very well. Well deserved if it did, its a very good game.

I asked about it on the forums, they're waiting on getting the game down pat. I'm glad to see so many games on PSN!

Sysgen

Ceebs said:
Playing with randoms can be kinda frustrating at times. Playing the mage can be rough if all the more combat capable classes go grab all the starting mana. You end up mana starved for a few waves vulturing their mana drops to even build stuff. That and people that think they should build 20 of their max tower hogging all the Defense Points.

Was already addressed on their forums. According to the devs that's tough, that's the way it was designed.

Voidguts

loving the loot system in this game. the variable size stuff is super funny, really glad someone decided to include that. my group is almost done with Act 2 and we're all still loving this game! we've also been doing Act 1 on Insane which is nuts. best co-op experience for me/us since Terraria first launched.

Ferrio

Banned
Had a lvl 46 join our lvl 12 game... killed any fun I had. There's a way to restrict levels right? I hope to hell there is.

CozMick

Banned
Did the UK get screwed over with a delayed release date?

I see people playing it on PS3 but I don't see it on the UK store :\

Marchiott

These TrendyNet disconnection issues are getting pretty darn annoying.

Was on Wave 8 of Endless Spires and it just disconnected both the host and I. That was our 4th run trying to beat it and I was pretty sure that was going to be our last attempt...

Last night I tried to start a game with a friend as well but we both kept getting disconnected from TrendyNet during the first wave.

Is this going to be fixed anytime soon?

Ferrio said:
Had a lvl 46 join our lvl 12 game... killed any fun I had. There's a way to restrict levels right? I hope to hell there is.

You can kick people from the pause menu if you run into players like that.

Sometimes they are just trying to help out the little guys though.

Around 4 a.m. EST tonight, TrendyNet will be down for 30 minutes for maintenance. Hopefully this will further decrease the amount of DCs that have been happening.

Any plans to give more detail about Wyvern spawn locations? It's too vague as of now, you have to basically build during the combat phase to know exactly where they come from.

Grimm Fandango said:
Any plans to give more detail about Wyvern spawn locations? It's too vague as of now, you have to basically build during the combat phase to know exactly where they come from.
No plans at the moment, but I'll be sure to let the dev team know!

Upcoming Patch (ETA Morning 10/24/2011 -- Submitted to Valve!)

7.04 Patch Notes:
* Persona names with non-ASCII characters can now connect to TrendyNet! (Korean names, etc)
* Fixed special characters "\", "/", "<" creating unjoinable online games
* Fixed "Start Wave" not updating to display the current Wave number of the match
* Fixed potential losing-mission-unlock issue
* Added option to toggle chase camera offset between left, right, and centered
* Added option to disable "automatic step towards melee target" behavior
* Made UI Scale keep the edge-alignment of the UI elements, so they stay at their corner even as they get smaller
* Console key now changed from Tilde to F1
* Apprentice: increased Tower attack rate ramp
* Squire: lowered Tower DPS ramp
* Increased maximum number of dropped items on the ground in missions
* Made "L" key quickly log/unlock the highlighted item in your Item Box
* Added -dowritelog commandline option to output log data & better error reporting method
* Reworked TrendyNet keep-alive logic to minimize disconnects and reduce load

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
* Squire: lowered Tower DPS ramp
* Increased maximum number of dropped items on the ground in missions
* Made "L" key quickly log/unlock the highlighted item in your Item Box
* Reworked TrendyNet keep-alive logic to minimize disconnects and reduce load
Boooooooooo at Squire. :[ My towers barely 1 hit things as it is.

Can they just make a slider, how much is increased? It seemed pretty low (both gems and equipment)

Thank goodness, can we rebind that to Mouse 5 or something?

Hope it is true.

Hazaro said:
Thank goodness, can we rebind that to Mouse 5 or something?

Hope it is true.
I think you'll be able to bind it to whatever key you'd like. I'm actually out of the office (for once!), so I can't ask right now.

And I hope so, too!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Played a bunch of waves in Survival online earlier. Medium, Foundries and Forges, and didn't get a single piece of useful loot for any of my characters. =/ And they're only like Lv. 15-20.

Toki767

Seraphis Cain said:
Played a bunch of waves in Survival online earlier. Medium, Foundries and Forges, and didn't get a single piece of useful loot for any of my characters. =/ And they're only like Lv. 15-20.
Playing the Throne Room seems to get me the most useful loot. Probably from the boss fight.

Seraphis Cain said:
Hard or Insane is where you can find the phat lootz.

Toki767 said:
Playing the Throne Room seems to get me the most useful loot. Probably from the boss fight.
This, too.

Will there be a patch for slow UI? That menu just move so so low :/ Like 10 years to move where its needs to.

Thanks Harazo for joining my game. Also for giving me tips on what I should be leveling <3

Edit: Forgot to mentions. DD seems to have a problem with sounds when I plug in my mic during gameplay. Currently, I have my speakers plugged in, but if I unplug the speakers to put in my mic it doesn't work. However if I were to switch back to speakers, speakers no longer work. Only way to get either working as intended is to start the game with one of the devices plugged.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Got a level 60 item that dropped. Not that great though.
Rampants on Hard got me a lot of nice weapons.

syoaran

Been on a word of mouth spree for months now, glad it paid off as I've been playing four player all weekend. Great game, looking forward to taking the game on in insane now!

jkoch

Is there any way to see if any useful loot dropped during a round other than walking up to an examining each piece?

Archie said:
How badly were tower squires nerfed? I'm kinda scared to check. :(
squire arrow launchers are way too good on the 360 version, without upgrades right now at level 31 i'm making them at 750 dmg and 0.60 fire rate lol

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Ugh, I'm still getting random disconnects.

Diablohead said:
squire arrow launchers are way too good on the 360 version, without upgrades right now at level 31 i'm making them at 750 dmg and 0.60 fire rate lol

That's all? My level 5 harpoons were doing >2k damage at level 36. :p

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I had the huntress bombs doing 1200 cluster damage to enemies at around lvl 8... Sure they didn't restart as quickly as squire arrows, but combined with slow gas, it really didn't matter much...

Playing 2p Splitscreen on 360, I thought the Squire only seems OP in the "I'm the better character for single player" style. His need to get close and personal limits his ability to react to changing situations, and things like the bowling ball trap are best situationally, slice-and-dice is fantastic until archers get to it, which is the same weakness as the bouncer, which has a bit of restart time, making it easy for enemies to get in, and beat it up.

The Squire should also be using more stats to make his own self better, while huntress and apprentice, for instance, should probably concentrate more on their traps. Of course, you could swap this, and probably still do well, which is nice about this game.

As we run into mini-bosses on INSANE in 2P, I get the feeling that everyone has a change to make it through these things, but the squire is the only one I feel "is ready" half the time, as the DEF and ATK I have to take on a multi-1000 HP monster feels like I can tank him by that time. If he were much weaker, I think his potential role as "Walking defense" could diminish, and he'd lose some uniqueness...

---

Anyone made a high trap count / trap recharge time Huntress yet? I'd imagine that'd rock, if you could get her traps to multi-crush groups who stop to hit a barrier, or get stuck in her gas traps.

I've been playing a high damage / high charge variety, and theres something very satisfying about watching a group who'se been working on a wall for a few seconds get blasted to the four winds by a cheap little proxy mine, haha. And watching 4 fire fields tick the life out of a group of enemies is maniacal-laughter worthy.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Seventy5 said:
That sounds great. Was thinking of buying this for the PS3 instead of PC. Tried the demo on PC but the game doesn't seem too gamepad friendly, contrary to what its Steam page says.

My only concern is updates. Are both Steam and PSN versions receiving updates at the same time or is PC clearly getting them as they come? The Xperia Play Android version recently lost its Xperia Play controls in the last update so I'm kind of wary of the developer's ability to patch if Sony's approval system slows them down.

so... I still haven't received any response for my 7.03 character wipe.
are they going to take any action for lost characters?
if not my money has been robbed. trololol

Zomba13

Why is it whenever this game updates I have to rebind all my controls AGAIN.

So fucking annoying because there isn't an in-game editor for the controls.
I join a game with friends and then have to quit out to rebind everything and make them wait.

zatara

As soon as they update the almost game breaking auto targeting in the 360 version, they won't get my money. When there is only one enemy anywhere near me, and I can't target it and it ends up killing me is bullshit. I'm playing the 360 demo and I'll be going to town on the Ogre at the end and all of a sudden it will auto target to some grunt on the other side of me.

zatara said:
As soon as they update the almost game breaking auto targeting in the 360 version, they won't get my money. When there is only one enemy anywhere near me, and I can't target it and it ends up killing me is bullshit. I'm playing the 360 demo and I'll be going to town on the Ogre at the end and all of a sudden it will auto target to some grunt on the other side of me.

Not confined to the 360 by any means either, I play PC with a controller and have the same problem.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Archie said:
Ugh, I'm still getting random disconnects.

That's all? My level 5 harpoons were doing >2k damage at level 36. :p
Sounds about right. Nerf doesn't seem too apparent, so that is good! (Maybe it was more for having 160 in Tower Attack?)
http://imgur.com/a/cC6bT
SAB CA said:
Anyone made a high trap count / trap recharge time Huntress yet? I'd imagine that'd rock, if you could get her traps to multi-crush groups who stop to hit a barrier, or get stuck in her gas traps.

I've been playing a high damage / high charge variety, and theres something very satisfying about watching a group who'se been working on a wall for a few seconds get blasted to the four winds by a cheap little proxy mine, haha. And watching 4 fire fields tick the life out of a group of enemies is maniacal-laughter worthy.
In party play you want the guy with the strongest towers to build everything since Defense Points are shared, so if a Huntress only has 2 or 4 traps out I'd rather have them as strong as possible since repairs are easy with 4 traps vs 8. Plus the Engineer and (Demon pets?) can auto refill them so you can go pure DPS.

Top Bottom