• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeon Fighter Online [Alpha Test] |OT| We are not your kind of Neople

accidentally cracked my new Asus laptops screen so was worried i would miss the OB
nut luckilly i have a spare laptop till the Asus gets fixed

omlet

I'm just gonna go ahead and prepare myself for the case where the beta is already offline for the day due to problems or scheduling by the time I'm home from work on Tuesday.

:|

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I'm just gonna go ahead and prepare myself for the case where the beta is already offline for the day due to problems or scheduling by the time I'm home from work on Tuesday.

:|

yep. its not gonna start til 1pm pst

Astarte

You guys are just pessimistic! I'm sure that they'll get the servers up and running and nothing will possibly go wrong :D

Hmmmm...well if it really does seem like the servers will just be split into normal apostle-named servers, what will you guys choose? The most populated will probably be Cain, but I might end up choosing Delezie

WarRock

Half an hour after my class starts, damn it. Hope I can at least leave the game downloading before release for maximum enjoyment when I get home.

Anyone mind explaining the fatigue or whatever change they're making btw? I haven't really played this game much, only the last time it was up and it had like a system that wasn't too bad for me, you had points or something and you'd expend them running dungeons and once you were out you didn't get drops anymore, but it took a decent while to actually run out, so I thought it was ok. I'm not a big fan of these mechanics in general since I tend to play a lot but didn't mind it too much, so I'm wondering what they're changing it to.

Anyone mind explaining the fatigue or whatever change they're making btw? I haven't really played this game much, only the last time it was up and it had like a system that wasn't too bad for me, you had points or something and you'd expend them running dungeons and once you were out you didn't get drops anymore, but it took a decent while to actually run out, so I thought it was ok. I'm not a big fan of these mechanics in general since I tend to play a lot but didn't mind it too much, so I'm wondering what they're changing it to.

It's just like the blitz system but instead of having stages with extra EXP and whatnot, the bar runs out and you can't do anymore dungeons till the daily reset. No extra EXP/Gold for playing more or different stages, once it's out, it's out, plain and simple.

Blitz was something NA Nexon decided to do to address people complaining that we shouldn't be limited by the fatigue system because the laws over here aren't as strict about play time as they are in Korean but the game is balanced around the fatigue system so it's not like they could just get rid of it all together. As a result, they decided to roll out the blitz system to allow for more play on a character and to also encourage more play since the more you played, the more exp and gold you'd earn. No surprise this was also around the time DFO was becoming a ghost town with blitz failing to revive it, in fact, it only served to hastening it to it's demise thanks to all the extra fatigue it gave bots to crash the economy harder.

The system is annoying since you really get into leveling a class and finish quests and try new dungeons/skills that come with levels but I don't remember it ever taking more then a month to max someone out as long as I used most of my fatigue most days. While still accounting for stuff like farming dungeons for items and gold or helping other people out. On the bright side, it really helps push you to level other classes in your main's downtime so you don't get burned out on one play style too fast.

It's just like the blitz system but instead of having stages with extra EXP and whatnot, the bar runs out and you can't do anymore dungeons till the daily reset. No extra EXP/Gold for playing more or different stages, once it's out, it's out, plain and simple.

Blitz was something NA Nexon decided to do to address people complaining that we shouldn't be limited by the fatigue system because the laws over here aren't as strict about play time as they are in Korean but the game is balanced around the fatigue system so it's not like they could just get rid of it all together. As a result, they decided to roll out the blitz system to allow for more play on a character and to also encourage more play since the more you played, the more exp and gold you'd earn. No surprise this was also around the time DFO was becoming a ghost town with blitz failing to revive it, in fact, it only served to hastening it to it's demise thanks to all the extra fatigue it gave bots to crash the economy harder.

The system is annoying since you really get into leveling a class and finish quests and try new dungeons/skills that come with levels but I don't remember it ever taking more then a month to max someone out as long as I used most of my fatigue most days. While still accounting for stuff like farming dungeons for items and gold or helping other people out. On the bright side, it really helps push you to level other classes in your main's downtime so you don't get burned out on one play style too fast.

That sounds kinda meh, does it last as long to run out though?

That sounds kinda meh, does it last as long to run out though?

I think Blitz had more points overall, the old system had, I want to say, 254 points(?). Blitz I think was somewhere around high 300 to ~400 points with the ability to still enter dungeons even once the blitz system turned off, allowing you to still help people out in dungeons and whatnot but applied the no items/gold penalty to the whole party, not just you.

I think Blitz had more points overall, the old system had, I want to say, 254 points(?). Blitz I think was somewhere around high 300 to ~400 points with the ability to still enter dungeons even once the blitz system turned off, allowing you to still help people out in dungeons and whatnot but applied the no items/gold penalty to the whole party, not just you.

Alright thanks for the detailed answers, doesn't sound very fun but guess I'll just level 2-3characters or something.

Primus

It was/is 156 Fatigue Points per day per character.

The problem with the Blitz system was that because it trivialized the levelling process thanks to the bonus XP, it was a massive boost to the botters & gold sellers. Even when Nexon retooled Blitz to scale down to 0 drops (the first version would only go to 50% drops), it still didn't really help 'cause the botters could level up new accounts and switch between them.

There's a good writeup on Reddit on the differences between Fatigue and Blitz.

Kouriozan

It's finally releasing, woot.
I won't keep my Alpha characters, don't want to feel lost with all the new changes. Plus my highest one was level 37 or something, no big loss.

Astarte

24 hour Danjun stream

Some notes:

1. US will be divided into two servers, east and west.
2. CEO said that this game has an 80% chance of failing due to its past (but we can make it have an 80% chance of success! Hooray!)
3. China, Japan, and Korea are IP blocked due to having their own versions of the game
4. No wipe after OBT
5. No F slayer in beta

Also here's a Q&A session with Danjun and some of the most adorable programmers alive.

omlet

2. CEO said that this game has an 80% chance of failing due to its past
Somehow I can't help but relate these two. After all this pessimism do they really think it's smart to divide the US playerbase like this? I mean, maybe it is, and this is still beta, so maybe it will prove to be nothing to worry about.

Anyway, I got my game and launcher installed and ready to go. I'll join West server if I can.

Astarte

It looks like the playerbase is leaning towards Cain (US-East) but let's see how that goes. Hopefully they'll merge the two servers together in the future.

I'm keeping them just so I can hop on them in case of I wanna check something without having to make a new char, but I'll delete them once I make the same classes again, I wasn't very high level either anyway so whatever.

The wiki says this Knight class is also being added? I know F slayer is not ready and I know they said Creator and Dark Knight are coming(but not much interest in those so far), but hadn't heard anything about Knight and Elven Knight kinda looks fun.

I'll probably start with F Grappler or Necro again, not too sure, I liked both when I played last time but F Grappler leveling was annoying since you couldn't put points into much of anything early on due to respecs being meh but with the new system I feel like it'd be a lot more fun, so I'm tempted to start with her first.

Parallax

i think i fucked up and lost them anyway. no biggie though i guess. im about to get that asura again with no problem

Astarte

Some details from the stream

F Slayer was not on the lineup in the intro video.
CEO In Lee will be an NPC in the game.
Several of the development team speak English.
CEO says 80% chance of failure.
No voice localizations. Game's dubbed in Korean.
M "dead weight" J dies every dungeon.
Free Resets
Avatar/Titles for alpha participants.
Pre-download is up. Don't forget to patch.
Seems like you can get to around lv30 in one day unless if you die like MJ.
Fatigue can be replenished.

It looks like the playerbase is leaning towards Cain (US-East) but let's see how that goes. Hopefully they'll merge the two servers together in the future.
I'll likely join the East one anyways since that's the one that would be optimal for me to begin with so that would be lovely if that's where the majority of players were.

WarRock

I'm keeping them just so I can hop on them in case of I wanna check something without having to make a new char, but I'll delete them once I make the same classes again, I wasn't very high level either anyway so whatever.

The wiki says this Knight class is also being added? I know F slayer is not ready and I know they said Creator and Dark Knight are coming(but not much interest in those so far), but hadn't heard anything about Knight and Elven Knight kinda looks fun.

I'll probably start with F Grappler or Necro again, not too sure, I liked both when I played last time but F Grappler leveling was annoying since you couldn't put points into much of anything early on due to respecs being meh but with the new system I feel like it'd be a lot more fun, so I'm tempted to start with her first.
There lots of Knight files in the game, plus her intro is translated. No word from Neople about it though.

Yeah I went on to explore DF Nexus after I posted and found the datamining thread, seems there's a bunch of files already in but they haven't said if the classes are in, I guess they might not be finished. I'll just wait it's ok.
i hope they add Fslayer not long after OB
i plan on maining her

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
24 hour Danjun stream

Some notes:

2. CEO said that this game has an 80% chance of failing due to its past (but we can make it have an 80% chance of success! Hooray!)
3. China, Japan, and Korea are IP blocked due to having their own versions of the game
4. No wipe after OBT
5. No F slayer in beta

Also here's a Q&A session with Danjun and some of the most adorable programmers alive.

Will there be a smooth, uninterrupted transition between the OBT and the official launch of the game, or are they going to shut the service down again after the OBT, and we will have to wait until they re-launch the game proper? If so, how long will they shut it down this time? I'm hoping it's the former.

omlet

So looks like East was the only server I could connect when beta started, and it put my alpha characters there. Well, whatever.

Still trying to get my bearings, see where things left off, etc. Made one new character to see what's different early on. New skill tree thing is neat, but throwing me off since I'm not used to it.

Then server went down so now time for breakfast lol

omlet

Well, so much for that. Guess I'll check back in about 12 hours after work :(
Usual beta test, I was prepared for this lol

Astarte

edit: I'm just dumb =v=
I really wish that they increased the actual level cap to 85 instead of just the skills. I can't even OV on +0 purps :v

Logged in for a little bit, remembered I had to configure my gamepad, had issues with the reconfigured keys both sending the original movement and the new one, spent 3hours trying to figure out how to make various options work, I think it might work now but server down. Other solution I guess would be to launch the game with my pad not plugged in so it doesn't recognize it, then plug it in later, should work even though it makes it kinda annoying.

Oh well good time to farm some poetics in FFXIV before my sub runs out I guess.

Can someone give me a rundown of the F.Mage classes, i played a battle mage in the alpha and i'm interested in playing all the other classes as well.

How viable are the F.Mage classes in PvE and PvP compared to all the other characters?

Kouriozan

Been trying to log on for an hour and I get black screen everytime :/

EDIT : don't tell me they didn't fix the "switch your OS to english to play" problem.

EDIT 2 : looks like it didn't fix it this time.

omlet

Can someone give me a rundown of the F.Mage classes, i played a battle mage in the alpha and i'm interested in playing all the other classes as well.

How viable are the F.Mage classes in PvE and PvP compared to all the other characters?

I don't play PvP but here's what I can tell you about mage for PvE without getting too technical.

Elementalist: Squishy and slow but have high damage. You need to get good at dodging or you will die a lot and you also need to do some more technical things to really get the most out of their damage during combat (buff upkeep). Can solo well but having someone to distract or hold enemies makes a big difference in your damage output (spells like arctic blast and astral storm that are unsafe in solo play become much more useful in party play). I mained this class in original DFO and went straight to it again without a second thought in alpha. I really like it.

Battle Mage: My alt in nexon DFO and in alpha. Much more durable and can juggle combo very well. Chasers are a fun mechanic. Strong, but not as much vertical axis shenanigans as some other melee classes.

Summoners: Strong solo class. Kind of annoying to party with because they cover the screen in so many pets (lol), but still useful in parties because their pets can keep enemies distracted.

Witch: Good gimmick skills, great air juggles, and some enemy positioning skills (like taunting doll) useful in solo or party play.

Pretty much anything is viable for leveling as long as you're not being dead weight. Mage classes don't have lots of superarmor or grabs to cheese bosses with, so that's something to keep in mind. I got to level cap in nexon DFO but didn't do much endgame before they shut it down so I'm not sure how things change at level cap.

Battle Mage: My alt in nexon DFO and in alpha. Much more durable and can juggle combo very well. Chasers are a fun mechanic. Strong, but not as much vertical axis shenanigans as some other melee classes.

Thanks for the swift reply, just one more question. How does the Battle mage compare to Rogue in PvE?

Battle mage: Quick, fast, hit-and-run type frontline fighter.

+Strongest mana shield of the F.mage. Thanks to that and the use of leather, effective HP is like she is wearing heavy armor.
+Only F.mage that can't trip from her dash attack and learns a new basic attack string.
+1st awakening passive use to completely disappear if the battle mage wasn't combo'ing for around 6 secs, changed to allow more leeway; while it doesn't last as long per level as it did before, it'll now slowly delevel as time passes(Instead of just losing the buff all together) while not active in fighting.
+Built around long combos, kick 'em. Attack power, chaser size/power are all tied to long combos.
+While she does have to put herself in extreme danger a lot of times, still has a few mid ranged moves and some super armor to help for tough times.

-Super armored enemies can be tough for the BM to handle as it leads to her eating more damage in upfront fighting instead of being able to quickly zip around launching enemies and chaining combos together.
-Lacks strong enemy grouping skills to help the party control the movements of said enemies.
-Don't want to take the time to learn how to combo? Better off with elementalist.

Elementalist: Strong, powerful spells with wide coverage.

+Damage, lots of damage. The coverage and speed of spells that the elementalist can pump out is almost without equal.
+Damage, lots and lots of damage. Want more damage? She can buff herself to provide more INT for casting spells and can lower elemental resistance of anything she hits. Use to be able to dispel anything affect by her 1st awakening passive for more power but that was patched out.
+While restricted to cloth armor, can still learn mana shield to shore up weaknesses but still has other tools to control and shield like black hole or ice wall.
+Thanks to her upcoming 2nd awakening, elementalist can now freely move around during some of her skills, namely her tier-3 ice spells.
-If hit, can easily lose half her HP, lots of care in late game dungeons.
-Can be a bit of a mana hog.
+/-Playstyle is a bit more hands off instead of in your face, can be a turn off to people.

Witch: Jack-of-all-wackyness, master of never doing what you want.

+Can, if lucky, have extremely powerful spells that can inflict stats effects.
-If unlucky, spells will pretty much fizzle, eating all that mana and putting it on cooldown
+Gains air combos and air dashing. Mastering short hops for OTG combos is a must if looking to PvP or even combo dead enemies for 30 minutes.
+Over time, has gained more control or her failure rate. You pretty much will never fail unless you're actively looking to fail some of the time.
+Can be mana hungry if using a lot of AoE abilities but can restore her own or another allies mana thanks to Ancient library.
+Can control enemies very well in later dungeons and in fact has some interesting interactions with her holding spells that other classes don't normally have.
+Taking from all the other classes a bit, she doesn't play exactly like them and instead meshes them together in her own way to make something else.
-Not as specialize as her sisters. Can't burst as well as elementalist, can't fight in the front with combos as well as BM or control her summons as well as summoner.
+/-Damage cap use to be a lot lower in the past because of the fixed damage from most of her spells. Nowadays, it's really easy to stack INT to fix that so witch isn't so handicapped.

Summoner: Farming and AFK specialist

+Why can't I hold all these summons. So many summons, they're a big frontline to distract enemies and tank hits for you.
+All you have to do is walk into a corner and watch the magic happen. While you can help direct them in fighting, you don't need to.
+Want to catch up on the latest shows while playing DFO? No one is gonna notice with Summoner.
+Gear is not a real problem with this class, with INT at the time of casting her summons and MP regen being the primary concern for her.
+Can buff the attack and movement speed of players, as well as summons. In the case of summons, it also increases the summon AI's aggressiveness.
-MAJOR stigma in the playerbase with Summoner, people will outright kick you from parties. People have the options to hide the summons but they still don't want Summoners in the party.
-Summons at the lower levels tend to miss a lot of their stronger skills often as they dance around the z-axis.
+/-Dead weight in end game dungeons in the past because of the nature of their gimmicks, which didn't go very well with the summon's AI of walk up and hit everything they see. Team wipes were common with Summoners. Now she has a skill to dismiss all her summons so its easier to avoid this problem or recall your horde away from deadly triggers.
+/-Summons can die really easily in later dungeons but Summoner has gained skills over time to help recover summons from these things, be it aliments or even just healing them.
+/-PvP for summoner boils down to: Can I setup my zoo before I die?

Parallax

played with the dark knight for a bit. hes ok, but i wasnt feeling him like i was the slayer. maybe that will change when i use him more.

I used to play this back when Nexon ran it. I loved my grappler, so much fun. I'll definitely check this out when open beta hits.

Top Bottom