• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeons of Dredmor |OT| it's roguelike, it has graphics, it's funny and it's $4.49

Musan

Herbspicesoy said:
So is the only way to get rid of poison using a potion? Which if you don't have, you're just fucked?

Try eating a lot. That happened to me once, I just ate all the dingle eggs I had and I got through that fine.

Volodja

Being surrounded and blocked in this game is pretty darn easy.
Sigh.
Is every level of the dungeon as huge as the first?

Brannon

I was making such good progress in the first level, kicking ass and dazzling foes with my radiant aura, and the one time I forget to activate it, I find a wizard's hat, pick it up and BAM!

Suddenly surrounded by toxic diggles and pecked to death! Man, this game's light-hearted humor and graphics hide a vicious engine of Go Fuck Yourself.

And I'm loving it.

User33 said:
Is there a developer I can email?

i had an issue like this but on a desktop monitor and a 3dcard, I set my card to do the resolution scaling not the monitor

mon.jpg

i dont know if something like that exists for a laptop, but it fixed the issue for me.

Twinduct

My love for Dwarf Fortress 2 and the totalbiscuit's let's play vid has pushed me over! I'm joining you guys on this.

'ticks permadeath'

/puts on his robe and wizard hat

Berksy

Spirit of Jazz said:
Are traps invisible if your perception stat isn't high enough? Just died when I was about to clear out the final room in the third level and didn't realize I was losing 5 hp per step due to poison.

Also where do you sell items?

Happens to me A LOT. They really ave to put a giant green poisoned warning to get it into my thick skull. AND a move block like i can only move one square when i selfishly click around while being poisoned.

You can sell your stuff by dropping the items ın the vendor. Vendors are the clowns in the markets. Markets are the pink places in your map.

About last patch;

Changelog:

Fixed the new audio crash, which was only exposed after we fixed the first audio crash.

Fixed a crash which occurs when trying to change resolutions on computers with less than five resolutions.

Added very large warning dialog if you try to quit the game without saving.

Fixed a bug where you could get trapped in a shop after loading and saving.

Fixed a pixel glitch in the hero walk cycle.

Removed some debugging things that were accidentally left in the game. (They know what they are.)

--They changed the OST to latest version on the previous patch so i think that was the reason it was huge.

Games that truly make you smile don't come along often enough.
I love this game even though my first three characters all died withing fifteen minutes.
Finally getting the hang of it though.

Cynaith

Neutrality said:
Games that truly make you smile don't come along often enough.
I love this game even though my first three characters all died withing fifteen minutes.
Finally getting the hang of it though.

Agreed with this. I bought the game as a treat after doing a bit of work.

Even little things- like the randomly generated names of areas of the dungeon- made me laugh out loud.

After randomly generating a few characters, I made one with tank skills. Although the other chars were fun to experiment with, this is the one I've got furthest with.

Wallach

QK0u0.jpg

That's my first guy, dying to that giant pink bastard on floor 3. I'm about as far as I was on the new guy, though I don't think my skillset is proving to be as powerful. Luckily there were like 4 bolt vending machines on floor 1 so I should be able to brute force my way further than before unless I do something stupid (this is still fairly likely).

Madouu

Been playing the game for the whole evening and the great news is that I didn't crash! Patch seems to have done the trick.

I'm at the third floor right now and specializing in mace weapons. I seem to one/two shot most of the monsters right now so I hope I can still go on a little bit more with this character.

http://i.imgur.com/2oXrO.jpg

Wallach said:
That's my first guy, dying to that giant pink bastard on floor 3. I'm about as far as I was on the new guy, though I don't think my skillset is proving to be as powerful. Luckily there were like 4 bolt vending machines on floor 1 so I should be able to brute force my way further than before unless I do something stupid (this is still fairly likely).

I'm at about the same score and it seems I am gonna meet this 'pink bastard' soon too

Wallach

You have any problems with Knight's Leap? The rules for the landing point seem broken. Like I should be able to go up/up/left or up/up/right but I can only go up/up/right (this holds true for any cardinal direction it seems).

Berksy

Wallach said:
You have any problems with Knight's Leap? The rules for the landing point seem broken. Like I should be able to go up/up/left or up/up/right but I can only go up/up/right (this holds true for any cardinal direction it seems).

Tried it a few times with random location clicks, always u/u/r for some reason.

So like any other roguelike i play (even rpgs!), i mostly stick to a melee build. But then again it is so much fun to experiment in this game. Yesterday i rolled an unarmed vampire build as i said and yes, it was very useful when coupled with some dodge skills.

After like ten runs, short and long, i can easily say that after you grasp the basics of the game, only your mistakes will kill you. Game is hard but there is always a way out. It is a good thing for roguelikes as you won't get mad at the game but at yourself and keep playing till you die again. And again.

Any ideas for a solid mage build, especially for "going rogue" where it seems like you don't find many drinks (or many items at all, really)? My current one has Ley Walker for mana recovery, which is painfully slow at least at my current level of 4. Is Blood Magic better, or might it be worth taking both for a dedicated caster? Any ideas about which spell-casting skills are the best overall and other non-mage skills that synergize especially well?

Right now I've got Promethean Magic, Golemancy, Ley Walker, Mage Training, Mathemagic, Wand Lore, and I think Crossbows. Mostly relying on my mustache golem with the occasional level 1 Promethean spell, and it's really slow going.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I love this freaking game. Still on my first character, lvl 10, floor 4. Blacksmithing is super awesome to have, you can easily keep yourself equipped with solid damage absorbing armor and a good weapons.

NBtoaster

Is there a monster zoo on every floor except the first? I wasn't expecting one on floor 3.

I think I bugged it a bit. Changing floors while the monster zoo music is on seems to make the music change whenever you kill an enemy. Because there's a pause whenever the music changes it makes the game fairly laggy..

edit: fixed by killing all the enemies

Berksy

284igj.jpg

Okay, this is me at the start of floor 3.

Fully cleaned floors 1 and 2. 30k+ score. 10k+ gold. Cleaned a monster zoo. My gear is handcrafted except the obvious rings and crossbow.

Build:
Swords
Shield Bearer
Berserker Rage
Master of Arms
Artful Dodger
Assassination
Smithing

Pretty much a basic warrior build. Gave up on vampirism and using food this time. I don't need mana as you can see.

At first i gave up some points to smithing; it helps you disarm traps which gives you a hefty reward of 6xp. When you have 4 smithing skill, you can craft good items instead of waiting for them to drop. I can easliy say crafting system works, it is a fast way to get good loot.
I put one skill point to combat related skills to get more bonuses from them and then keep putting points on swords till i get a special attack. Shield Bearer has the least priority on my list yet.

Also let's tell interesting/stupid bits of our adventures from now on as a good roguelike always deserves it.

When I found a second Horadric Lutefisk Cube, i had the most awesome idea. What if i put a lutefisk cube into another lutefisk cube?
There was an explosion. I had no cubes from that point on.

Floor 2. I opened a door. MONSTER ZOO! Okay, no need to panic. I found a well guarded space and start to kill them one by one. Vampirism keeps my health up. I even consume their flesh after i slay them. A named monster appears. He is dangerous. He might kill me. I look into my bag. There it is! My precious Squid Arrow. I could sell it for a thousand gold, but i didn't. I is a high-end item. Never used it before. But today is the day. I put it in my crossbow and fire at the named creature.
Tentacles everywhere. All creatures except me and named one are dead now. But i am not hurt somehow. It won't hurt me, i thought. It did. It was my first and last tentacle rape.

Wallach

slidewinder said:
Any ideas for a solid mage build, especially for "going rogue" where it seems like you don't find many drinks (or many items at all, really)? My current one has Ley Walker for mana recovery, which is painfully slow at least at my current level of 4. Is Blood Magic better, or might it be worth taking both for a dedicated caster? Any ideas about which spell-casting skills are the best overall and other non-mage skills that synergize especially well?

Right now I've got Promethean Magic, Golemancy, Ley Walker, Mage Training, Mathemagic, Wand Lore, and I think Crossbows. Mostly relying on my mustache golem with the occasional level 1 Promethean spell, and it's really slow going.

So, I just jumped into a Going Rogue game with the intent on seeing what a good Mage build might be and I found one that is tweakable that seems to just work well on my first try. I was cruising quite easily on floor 2 actually, but I just died because I moved into the hallway of a shop to fend off a Monster Zoo, and I had no idea that the shopkeeper would go hostile to you if you fought in the doorway. So he immediately was able to get a shot on me and on the other side of the zoo was all the Dread Collectors he spawned. Sucks because I was having unbelievable luck with drops too.

Anyway, this was my setup:

Staves
Vampirism
Golemancy
Astrology
Promethean Magic
Magic Training
Blood Mage

I actually took Golemancy on this one because I thought the moustache golem was going to be a necessity on the hard setting, but frankly I stopped even using it before I got to the second floor. It was easy enough just using Radiant Aura, Dragon's Breath and melee with staves to smoke everything pretty easily. However, I think Golemancy still isn't a bad choice because the 4th level spell (Thaumatic Infection or something) is quite good, and you get the ability to both create and destroy wall squares.

My initial point investments that I think are very important are the Vampirism lvl 2 and Blood Mage lvl 2. If you do use Golemancy you might want to use the second point there instead and ride the moustache (lol) to level 3 safely.

I might try again without Golemancy and replace that with something else, but I'm not sure what yet. The nice thing about the moustache golem is that you can hit him with your staff to heal yourself if you are in a pinch health-wise. I'm also thinking of Ley Walker, but with the second level Blood Mage I don't know if mana is really a concern, it may just be overkill. Something like Master of Arms or Assassination would both be very useful with this path since you won't want to avoid staff melee entirely so you can heal. It was very easy to stay at full health during the monster zoo at a chokepoint; that's another reason I'm considering dropping Golemancy is that you can't really make good use of it at a choke and still be able to melee anything. I'd probably miss the wall creation & destruction spells should I make it to later floors, though.

Madouu

Wallach said:

You can only move to one tile depending on the direction you're facing. It seems to me it's u/u/r for north and east, and u/u/l for the rest.

If you keep right click pressed you can see where you are gonna land and change cardinal directions. Although that doesn't help much ...

Bought it yesterday...

As an incredible rogue fan and programmer of some rogue game like things... I must say it KICKS ASS!!!!

Great game... will be played a LOT. Now only if the devs would show equipment on your character it would be perfect.

Wallach

Sonuva... I was trying that same Mage build with Ley Walker instead of Golemancy and accidentally clicked on the other side of that one-square hallway that always has an acid trap on the floor, except there was another trap there too. BONED.

Blood Mage + Ley Walker seems potent in terms of mana regen but I worry it'd be overkill later on. Tempted to take Alchemy instead.

Wallach said:
So, I just jumped into a Going Rogue game with the intent on seeing what a good Mage build might be and I found one that is tweakable that seems to just work well on my first try.
[snip]
Yeah, that sounds much better than the abortion I was playing... who rightfully and thankfully died not long after I posted that question. Will take all that into consideration for my next mage.

Playing a dumb mace fighter now, and it's going much more smoothly. Anybody playing "going rogue" permadeth add me on Steam (slidewinder there too) for leaderboards if you feel like it.

Berksy

#193 on Dwarven+Perma Global Leaderboard with my 81,496 score.

I was having a good run till named quest monster killed me. I became a little bit trigger happy after floor 4 monster zoo that i didn't noticed he was named. Kept on clicking :(

I will play Rogue+Perma from now on i guess.

Volodja

Promethean Magic in combo with Blood Magic makes the huge monster rooms so much fun.
Found a pretty big and scary one at the very beginning of the third level, went to the nearest choke and for some reason I still had vision inside the monster room so while my Wyrmling held the choke I spammed Rune of Explosion and every blast annihilated like 4 monsters at a time giving me loads of mana, adding in the occasional Curse of the Golden Ratio I also did quite a bit of money.

MGrant

Awesome game. Playing a dual-wield staff user just for kicks. Astrology is pretty nice, great defensive buffs.

I did run into a problem with a skill, though. If you pick the wand user perk with no other spells, you will be unable to use wands once you recharge one. Unless there's a way to de-equip skills, you become stuck on the recharge spell and can't right click wands, because that recharges them instead of equipping them. Had to level up to a point at which I could add a second skill, but thankfully that character was a shitfest anyway. Ranged weapons would probably have worked to switch, except I couldn't find a single one.

Vastag

This game is great, I'm putting hours in it without even realising how much time has passed. I hope that the developers continue updating the content (updates so far have been really quick correcting bugs and crashes)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
ARGH, Playing for 4 hours and then losing the game save due to a crash is no fun.

Guess I am finished with playing until they made a few more bug fixes to iron that out.

Volodja

Suicided my mage basically at the end of the third level of the dungeon at 80696 points aaaargh.
The monsters at the third level were not even remotely a threat to me anymore between curses and fireball but those damage over time traps could still pack quite the punch.

NBtoaster

Cleared level 4, onto 5. The carrots seem like wimps but I had a peak at level 6 and I bet the orange ones are a lot harder.

125000 points so far..playing a sword user with viking magic, crossbows and math magic. The starter teleport spell has saved me quite a few times.

Traps are srs bzns. My last three characters were killed because I casually attempted disarms multiple times, only to find myself dead. Pay attention to what the trap is; if it's dangerous you may just not bother disarming it. Also consider that you can drag monsters back to areas with traps still active and get them to walk on them sometimes.

Wallach

I remade the mage I posted above and am on level 5 with him (Going Rogue difficulty). I dropped Golemancy for Ley Walker and I don't regret it. Somehow my level 2 shops had two stupidly good mage items, one of which I managed to be able to buy once I cleared a few rooms of level 5, which is called "Orb of Nothing" and has amazing stats. Like 2 mana regen, 30 magic power, 10 of the core intelligence stat (whatever they call it), and some armor. Between gear, Ley Walker and Blood Mage I generally have enough mana to cast anything on demand, and even be somewhat wasteful if I need to be.

As to what I'm spending that mana on, Promethean Magic friggin' owns as soon as you get Explosive Rune. You can plant the rune anywhere in your line of sight and the damage is hilarious. Every Monster Zoo I've done from floors 2-5 has been an utter joke with not a single monster getting out of the doorway to the room - the first Explosive Rune will usually kill 4-5 monsters on turn 1, and Blood Mage returns magic per kill. All I need to do is just chain cast it because I'm getting more mana back than I'm spending from Blood Mage. The only downside I've seen is that if you plant a rune over a splattered floor tile (where something died and the corpse disappeared), you can't see it, and you can trigger your own runes. I almost died the first time I obliterated a Monster Zoo because after everything died, I tried to walk into the room and set off two in a row that were hidden under goop that never got set off.

While I wouldn't mind having the Golemancy wall manipulation skills still, the whelpling from Promethean Magic is quite a strong pet and you can use it just like the Golemancy ones if you're a Vampire, as they will never turn on you if you hit them. The whelping has a ton of health, and you can even eat the corpse once it dies if you need to.

What I am finding is the biggest obstacle are traps. On the hardest setting these things are damn dangerous and more than once have almost killed me outright. I'm quite concerned that I'm not going to be able to handle the deep floors if I get there because I can't disarm anything really unless I find some trap-related gear. I found the Vampire Hunter's hat but it seems the stat that determines trap vision and the one that determines trap disarming are separate so I still can't disarm any traps whatsoever safely.

Volodja

Wallach said:
As to what I'm spending that mana on, Promethean Magic friggin' owns as soon as you get Explosive Rune. You can plant the rune anywhere in your line of sight and the damage is hilarious. Every Monster Zoo I've done from floors 2-5 has been an utter joke with not a single monster getting out of the doorway to the room - the first Explosive Rune will usually kill 4-5 monsters on turn 1, and Blood Mage returns magic per kill. All I need to do is just chain cast it because I'm getting more mana back than I'm spending from Blood Mage. The only downside I've seen is that if you plant a rune over a splattered floor tile (where something died and the corpse disappeared), you can't see it, and you can trigger your own runes. I almost died the first time I obliterated a Monster Zoo because after everything died, I tried to walk into the room and set off two in a row that were hidden under goop that never got set off.
Yes, Promethean Magic is incredible, the fireball is even better than the exploding rune. Any amount of monsters becomes a laugh.

Wallach

Volodja said:
Yes, Promethean Magic is incredible, the fireball is even better than the exploding rune. Any amount of monsters becomes a laugh.

Have you gotten up to the fire wall spell yet? I'm curious what kind of damage that inflicts, because it sounds like a complete Monster Zoo lockdown.

Volodja

Wallach said:
Have you gotten up to the fire wall spell yet? I'm curious what kind of damage that inflicts, because it sounds like a complete Monster Zoo lockdown.
I never got it, I actually kind of avoided it because it didn't seem a priority to me, fireball already completely clears monster zoos at a frightening speed used with the exploding rune (for the corners you don't see so that it only activates when there is someone there).
I preferred concentrating on other trees after getting the fireball, like the maths one that has some sweet stuff.

Herla

I had a level 10 character, went down into the fourth floor, pc froze and now my save is gone.
I feel like I don't want to play this game anymore...I wanted to die wielding my sword :(

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
What happens if you pussy out and play the game without perma death?

Wallach

Corky said:
What happens if you pussy out and play the game without perma death?

I'm guessing it doesn't delete your save file when you load it, or when you die. You also wind up on a different leaderboard. Other than that I'm not sure what the difference is.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Wallach said:
I'm guessing it doesn't delete your save file when you load it, or when you die. You also wind up on a different leaderboard. Other than that I'm not sure what the difference is.

I'm buying the game today but I'm not sure whether or not to play with permadeath. I mean I'm all for a challenge but if the game is going to get "cheap" on me and killing me with things that will be unavoidable just for the sake of killing you then I think I'd rather go for easymode.

Wallach

Corky said:
I'm buying the game today but I'm not sure whether or not to play with permadeath. I mean I'm all for a challenge but if the game is going to get "cheap" on me and killing me with things that will be unavoidable just for the sake of killing you then I think I'd rather go for easymode.

The closest thing I've seen to an "unavoidable" death is when I was doing an optional shrine quest, when I activated the summon four of the monsters were placed surrounding me and all four got a swing off immediately (i.e. their summoning did not count as their "turn"), and that nearly ended me outright. Every time I've actually lost a character, it was my own fault though. Just respect the game's ability to kill you and use every mechanic you can think of to your advantage. If you try to go too fast you'll be ten times more likely to find yourself kissing dirt in a situation you otherwise could have lived through.

Maybe play with permadeath off for a while and if you get comfortable with it, turn it back on.

Volodja

Corky said:
Sometimes (a little too often I gotta say) you have runs that are pretty much dead on arrival because you open the first door and in the very next square there are a bunch of enemies and you don't have much to do to save yourself. Hell sometimes you spawn and you are nearly cornered by dudes already.
However if you manage to survive the first few rooms you create enough space to gain time and create distance between you and the enemies if you play it right., even if sometimes it can get a little tedious mashing on space to regen mana or health (why can't I keep it pressed? Sigh).
But it is awfully easy to get surrounded so pay attention to that, the lack of diagonal movement is both a blessing and a curse.
All in all aside from those starting occasions I can say that most of the time I died it wasn't unavoidable.
Regardless playing a roguelike without permadeath is sacrilegious.

Top Bottom