• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust 514 [PS3/PSVita] (EVE Online FPS/MMO) - Update #2: Art, Info, E3 Trailer, F2P

Interfectum

Gold Member
Metalmurphy said:
WHAT WHAT WHAT?

There's no way that actually happened, sorry don't believe it.

It happened. It's the entire point of the game... Dust 514 is running on the EVE servers.

Interfectum said:
It happened. It's the entire point of the game... Dust 514 is running on the EVE servers.

It's running on the same "database" as EVE servers sure, not the actual game servers. I don't believe for a second that an MMO, with thousands of players can interact "DIRECTLY" with Dust.

I mean, imagine if 300 ships got close to the planet, would you be able to look at the sky and see all those 300 ships? I don't believe it.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Angry Fork said:
I don't really get the hype for this. The trailer just looked like another bland FPS. What's the difference between this and other FPS besides the fact it's an MMO? Is there gameplay that i'm missing maybe? Is it like MAG but on a much larger scale?

If someone came up with another difference, would you then throw that one out and ask for another one?

MMO and Crossgaming are the main draws. Large scale battles with vehicles (Planetside) is the next. Not looking like Tribes or Planetside is the next.

Man

Angry Fork said:
I don't really get the hype for this. The trailer just looked like another bland FPS. What's the difference between this and other FPS besides the fact it's an MMO? Is there gameplay that i'm missing maybe? Is it like MAG but on a much larger scale?
It's part of a gigantic and interesting universe, all EVE players are playing in the same 'dimension'. It's sci-fi with epic upgrades to work towards like motherships (will probably take weeks or even months for a guild to save up to). There are rts elements, there is an economy and business level beyond the scope of any other game universe in the world... There is so much to this. Please go read up on it.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Angry Fork said:
Is it like MAG but on a much larger scale?

Yes, in a nutshell. Only instead of being part of a small squad in a larger firefight, you're part of a small squad in a larger firefight across planets that concurrently exist in a long-running MMO's universe. The space opera of warring, backstabbing corporations isn't just a backstory, it's happening with real people above you.

Interfectum

Gold Member
Metalmurphy said:
It's running on the same "database" as EVE servers sure, not the actual game servers. I don't believe for a second that an MMO, with thousands of players can interact "DIRECTLY" with Dust.

I mean, imagine if 300 ships got close to the planet, would you be able to look at the sky and see all those 300 ships? I don't believe it.

That database plots the points and types of the EVE ships as well. So in your DUST game if you are in a place where you can spot a ship in the sky (according to the database) it will put it there.

Man

Metalmurphy said:

You will see a macro indication of that battle. Not the actual battle. A standard effects animation. This is my educated guess (actually, it's the only realistic thing).
You will be able to text communicate with them all though.

Carl

Didn't really know much (anything) about this before Sony's conference but wow this sounds great. Sounds like the kind of thing i'd enjoy. Will give it a go.

Man said:
You will see a macro representation of that battle. Not the actual battle. A standard effects animation. This is my educated guess (actually, it's the only realistic thing).
You will be able to text communicate with them all though.
On EVE side yes, that I believe to be entirely possible, but I quoted the part where a guy in DUST looked up and saw a ship that was flying by on EVE. I mean... common.

Interfectum said:
That database plots the points and types of the EVE ships as well. So in your DUST game if you are in a place where you can spot a ship in the sky (according to the database) it will put it there.
The problem is the unpredictability of an MMO, in this case EVE, connecting to a non MMO game, and more importantly, on a fixed hardware system. My example of the 300 ships would not be possible.

Mindlog

Metalmurphy said:
The problem is the unpredictability of an MMO, in this case EVE, connecting to a non MMO game, and more importantly, on a fixed hardware system. My example of the 300 ships would not be possible.
I doubt they'll show any ships. It will be the macro stuff. People on the ground will likely see cynos and whatnot. Dreads in siege mode can provide call down fire support.

Again the bigger problem is that EvE turns into a laggy POS (lol double meaning) during big firefights. Sometimes even smaller fights can kill a node. CCP can't do that in an FPS.

Also, Russian Aluminum Magnates plotting to cut the power to your house if you start doing too well against them.

oktarb

I'm interested to see what happens. It has a couple things going for it. One, it is an MMO and consoles are still lacking these. CCP thinks outside the box and does what they want not what's just been done before. CCP also doesn't listen to every little whine, they make adult games and let the whiners - whine in the corner.

Not sure how it will be handled but they'll have to limit how much aid/influence EVE players can affect DUST players. Won't work to have an alliance shows up with billions upon billions of ISK to spend while I'm running around with 12 ISK in my pocket and pea shooter.

If they steal from Planetside good. I miss that game. Loading up a Galaxy cargo ship with troops and combat dropping them right over the base was insanely fun for me.

The micro transaction for gear will get some serious flack. But let us not forget that PLEX caused a massive uproar and more than half the people that bitched routinely buy PLEX these days (statistic pulled from my ass).

oktarb

Mindlog said:
Also, Russian Aluminum Magnates plotting to cut the power to your house if you start doing too well against them.

Let us not forget that there are a ton of ruthless fuckers in EVE waiting to exploit every possible angle DUST offers. EVE already gets headlines for the nefarious acts and corps destroyed by cunning and evil bastards. rest assured they are all plotting now to kick DUST in your face.

Jira

Metalmurphy said:
WHAT WHAT WHAT?

There's no way that actually happened, sorry don't believe it.

That is the ENTIRE point to Dust. It's not just in the same universe lore wise, but running on the same single server shard that Eve runs on. CCP has the most sophisticated server infrastructure in all of gaming, if anyone can do this it's them.

Juanadams said:
Can I use a mouse and keyboard on the Ps3 version?
It's been confirmed that the game will control through the SIXAXIS/DS3 and not through mouse and keyboard. (At least for now, anyway.)

Mindlog said:
I doubt they'll show any ships. It will be the macro stuff. People on the ground will likely see cynos and whatnot. Dreads in siege mode can provide call down fire support.

Again the bigger problem is that EvE turns into a laggy POS (lol double meaning) during big firefights. Sometimes even smaller fights can kill a node. CCP can't do that in an FPS.

This is going to be solved through time dilation. (Link)

KKRT00

Farrer told me that while playing EVE Online on the server where DUST was being tested, he saw some activity on a planet as he was flying by it in space. He got close to the planet and looked close, and he see the combat raging below, and got a sudden message in his chat box: “Hello!” It was the Dust player on the surface of the planet who had seen his ship above him in the sky and sent a message of greeting.

Nice that corporation are linked, i'll definitely join my in EVE :)

BTW items on trailer were quite expensive 1-1.4m ISK [You can buy 30 day subscription in EVE for 300m]. I'm curious if it will like in even, that when You die You're losing Your armor, when they kill Your vehicle You have to repair it or just lose it forever, if its permanent it will nice ISK sink for EVE community.

Mindlog said:
Sometimes even smaller fights can kill a node
I've not seen dead node in a year, even with 1500 pilots in a system.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I believe CCP can pull off all this cross-game same universe/servers stuff. It's going to be very interesting, whatever happens.

What I'm curious about right now though, are the little details: the constant radio chatter in the E3 trailer was very atmospheric, but seems like a single-player campaign sort of thing. I wonder if you'll get things typically barked at you by pre-recorded samples, or if a lot of voice chat will be integrated (between DUST players and EVE players alike), or if it was purely for the sake of the trailer.

Either way, I can't wait to see how they progress with this. I loved stuff like Planetside/Battlefield, and with EVE's aesthetic and lore colouring it, plus CCP's tech prowess backing it, it should be really quite unique stuff.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
CarbonatedFalcon said:
This being on the Vita as well makes it 2x as appealing.

I'm not all over it yet, but I'm definitely interested to hear more.
Holy crap, sorry for the double post but Vita as well? You are right, that is far more appealing.

Take your DUST account out and about with you - 3G on the train; wireless on breaks at work; getting your hands dirty in order for your (or your friend's) EVE character to benefit.

Geez, if they pull that off and make it a fun FPS to play even if you don't care much about EVE, that'll be one of the most innovative leaps in modern gaming.

KKRT00

BattleMonkey said:
They have been fighting lag for years and no matter what new stuff they try, it never completely fixes it.
Because battles keeps getting bigger and bigger.

@B-Genius
Really doubt that whole game will on Vita, rather somekind of integration - RTS management, skills/items management, chats and boards etc.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
gaf guilds/clans/corps etc. have always failed from what i've seen. maybe check the community forum though.

Chris_C

Angry Fork said:

The trailer did look kind of bleh, but crazy interesting stuff happens in Eve Online and I hope that the same sort of freedom and ability to affect the universe comes to Dust.

Zen

Banned
I don't know if the full game will be on Vita. To be honest the whole thing is making some relatively noticeable sacrifices to allow the kind of scale that they want, and everything is very 1 tone. The large distances and very sameish color palette probably wouldn't work all that well on Vita. On the other hand we've seen exactly 1 environment, but eve as a universe isn't really about distinct contrasting colors for the player based stuff.

Mindlog

KKRT00 said:
I've not seen dead node in a year, even with 1500 pilots in a system.
Yeah, bad wording on my part. Also to their credit there have been large improvements to the system, but players just keep throwing more at it.

Time warps introduce a whole other set of concerns.

I would be pretty surprised if the maps aren't procedurally generated. There's a lot to this game that hasn't been detailed yet.

VVV 2012 IIRC

darkwing

Mailman 007 said:
I'm down for a GAF corp!

better start fresh in Dust, EVE players are too set in their present corp to just move to a new one, tough to explain if you haven't really played it

Momo

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
There's a beta scheduled for late this year but the full release is set for summer 2012.
How does one simply walk into the beta?

darkwing said:
better start fresh in Dust, EVE players are too set in their present corp to just move to a new one, tough to explain if you haven't really played it
remnant said:
alright I'll try to get something started tomorrow

Im down for a GAF corp in Dust, my Eve account had been dead and dormant for ages, just couldn't justify paying for something I rarely had time to use anymore.

Momo

Banned
remnant said:
Like every Sony beta you buy a different game that is releasing 2-3 months before the beta.
Hopefully it's Starhawk since i'm buying the shit out of it anyway.

Sethos

Banned
remnant said:
alright I'll try to get something started tomorrow

Sweet, I started "playing" EVE a few weeks ago. By "playing" I mean sitting in a station just training away because a friend gave me an insane amount of ISK, so I basically have no need to venture outside and since I have no knowledge or corp, I've no intention of getting into PvP action alone and getting my ass handed to me.

Aselith

Mindlog said:
Yeah, bad wording on my part. Also to their credit there have been large improvements to the system, but players just keep throwing more at it.

Time warps introduce a whole other set of concerns.

I would be pretty surprised if the maps aren't procedurally generated. There's a lot to this game that hasn't been detailed yet.

VVV 2012 IIRC

The good thing though is that the ceiling raises as they respond to it. Their game has been growing steadily for years afaik and as long as they can keep things as stable as feasible and constantly improve the lag, they can keep those people. I'd imagine the majority of EVE never experiences a 1500 ship fight but having things stable for a 100 or 200 man fight is great.

No45

Has this been posted: http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011...ps3-and-ps-vita-gamers-to-play-in-eve-online/ ?

In many first-person shooting games, players will “respawn,” meaning they’ll eventually come back to life after they being killed in the game. In Dust 514 and EVE, characters are cloned after death, so you have a finite supply of manufactured bodies that have to be purchased, produced and transported to your facilities. So every loss in the game has a painful economic cost, which tends to discourage reckless behavior like suicide charges.
I like the idea that your death has a tangible cost that you need to consider, but I wonder what happens if you die and you're out of clones? D:

It's been confirmed that the game will control through the SIXAXIS/DS3 and not through mouse and keyboard. (At least for now, anyway.)
It's been confirmed with Move support as well I think?

Aselith

No45 said:
Has this been posted: http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011...ps3-and-ps-vita-gamers-to-play-in-eve-online/ ?

I like the idea that your death has a tangible cost that you need to consider, but I wonder what happens if you die and you're out of clones? D:

Not sure how familiar you are with EVE but if it's like EVE, you would start losing skill points (delevling? Surely, they wouldn't go that far...would they?). If it's a level shooter, I'd imagine you'd lose all progress you've made toward the next level. They might make it less painful and take away your gear only though like you can insure everything and be replaced or reimbursed but if you die without insurance it'll be gone.

It will definitely be interesting to see how they apply that model to a shooter.

Info on that:

http://hammer-eve.blogspot.com/2007/05/death-and-clones.html

"Medical clones
You start the game with a clone. They are like save-points for your learned skills. They are located in a space Station. That's where you resurrect when you're pod killed. Once you are pod-killed, your clone is activated, and you must buy a new one.

Dying without a clone means you lose a lot of skillpoints. It's really bad. If you're an experienced pilot, it might be a month's full-time training or more. You lose 10% of the skillpoints on your most invested skill.

You can move which base the clone is in, to be nearer where you are adventuring. The medical service in-Station lets you do that.

Clones have a capacity. It needs to exceed the skill points you have altogether on your character. The clone is automatically and continually 'saved'; you don't do anything for it to store the skills you've learned. They just have a ceiling on how many points they protect. Your first noob clone can protect 900K skill points. You'll need to upgrade it after a week or so."

No45

^^^ thanks. I'm a cautious gamer by nature, so this is all good news for me. I keep thinking of trying out EVE Online itself, but some of the stories of the game scare the shit out of me!

I can't help but think this is going to take forever to find its way into our hands though.

No45 said:
It can't be true. As far as I remember clone technology only works with capsulers, not ordinary people. Rather, it works with them, but reliability is very-very low, because of high requirements of using transneuron scanner on the field. Or did they invented mind transfer bypassing it? And I'm skipping the part that it's very expensive to have such amounts of clones, that'll be enough to win the battle.

Top Bottom