• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust 514 [PS3/PSVita] (EVE Online FPS/MMO) - Update #2: Art, Info, E3 Trailer, F2P

lol51

Some of the posts on the EVE forums are insane. One Example i've heard repeated is (other than the obvious 'doomed to fail for not being on xbox/pc') :

Thanks CCP for wasting my subscription/plex money that I paid so you can improve Eve, on a game that I can't play.

This kind of stuff takes me back to early this generation.

The gameplay video looked bland, but the possibilities for depth are huge considering the developer. Excited and hoping for a complex MMOFPS. They really needed more info to be revealed there.

Mindlog

fizzelopeguss said:
It seems you're a mercenary fighting for yourself and your own credits, and as well the typical upgrades, perks and vehicular combat it's surrounded by a potentially huge and sprawling meta game outside of the usual "hurr durr level 50 lol"
There is 0 chance that bored wealthy EvE players won't be funding the crap out of some Merc groups.

I'd wager that on Day 1 if you speak Russian someone will be raining ISK on you. Same probably goes for SA and dReddit forum members.

Move/Vita are shoehorned trivialities compared to the complexity involved here. The 'good fights' are typically laggy affairs lasting hours. If they decide to actually create joint ops (live EvE players in orbit providing support) EvE is going to have to fundamentally change. Judging by the closing shot of the preview this may happen.

This game needs a full conference of its own.

TheSeks said:
But I don't think that's going to hook John Call of Battlefield to the game. Just my opinion as a FPS outside looking in.
EvE succeeds just fine without the WoW crowd. The EvE crowd finds the ideas of spies and ganks fairly appealing.

darkwing

Mindlog said:
There is 0 chance that bored wealthy EvE players won't be funding the crap out of some Merc groups.

I'd wager that on Day 1 if you speak Russian someone will be raining ISK on you. Same probably goes for SA and dReddit forum members.

Move/Vita are shoehorned trivialities compared to the complexity involved here. The 'good fights' are typically laggy affairs lasting hours. If they decide to actually create joint ops (live EvE players in orbit providing support) EvE is going to have to fundamentally change. Judging by the closing shot of the preview this may happen.

This game needs a full conference of its own.

Goonswarm can fund me anytime to kill anything on a planet

darkwing said:
Goonswarm can fund me anytime to kill anything on a planet

Shit would be so real if player fleets would be fighting around a planet while ground forces allied with the fleets were busy fighting on the ground to get control of the planetary doomsday laser, then somebody fires it off and instantly vaporizes half of one fleet and then the remaining players in space get wiped out by the opposing fleet.

I think the idea is fundamentally sound but figuring out how to let the PC/EVE and PS3/DUST players interact with each other to influence each others' outcomes without being laughably imbalancing to one side or the other will be a bitch and two halves. It's already hard enough balancing ONE game in a universe, having TWO simultaneous games going on in a universe will be a logistics nightmare.

Whats going on in the world of EVE anyway? I remember there being a huge war a year ago after a high ranking member from a rival defected to Goonswarm and completely fucked up the rivals territory.

darkwing

Jamesfrom818 said:
Whats going on in the world of EVE anyway? I remember there being a huge war a year ago after a high ranking member from a rival defected to Goonswarm and completely fucked up the rivals territory.

that is old news, huge wars are still going on

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Mindlog said:
EvE succeeds just fine without the WoW crowd. The EvE crowd finds the ideas of spies and ganks fairly appealing.

*shrug* I'm not a social player. So I guess the idea of MMO funding people to gank someone that works hard to get somewhere and is only in the wrong place at the wrong time doesn't really sound too appealing to me. But that isn't the answer to my question.

As one with no stakes in EVE and doesn't care about the MMO-side of the game, why should they buy the game? The changing sides of the war is interesting, sure, but that's not the main draw of the game.

As a "FPS only" player, I just don't see this being too huge outside of the hardcore EVE crowd.

This concept is fascinating to me, really interesting in seeing it move forward. Having EVE players fund DUST missions/mercenaries sounds seriously cool.

Mindlog

Jamesfrom818 said:
2 of the last coalitions are fighting... if you want to call it that.
The Northern Coalition is getting run over by this.

With the usual caveats about numbers from KM, just in May, ~550 supercaps used

142 PL 72 Raiden. 73 NCdot.

and Russians had
52 WN 34 Legion of x 49 Red Alliance
From an outsider perspective the game is reaching an end-state. They have to address this issue. This stupid fleet is basically unstoppable.

Except by planetary super dommsdays :lol

^ My god, I haven't seen so many Titans in one shot... ever.

Mindlog said:
Except by planetary super dommsdays :lol
Yes indeedy. I have a feeling that mercenaries in Dust are going to be extremely important in how space warfare is done in EVE.

@TheSeks

Heh, i don't know. I'm way too much of a pussy to play EvE yet this interests me. I'm not too fond of TF2, brink or that new insomniac game and i don't like call of duty...yet BF3 and this look appealing to me.

To me it looks like a solid team based, vehicle shooter with decent visuals and that slick EvE art direction. The meta game is a cherry topping that looks like it could propel the game to greatness....if it works as intended.

And i'd be very surprised if it's half as hardcore EvE is, that's propably why it's on console(s), to make a more casual game for a new audience rather than build it completely into the EvE engine where there's higher expectations.

Edit: i suppose i'm expecting a more tactical game from the usual FPS fare, but without the absolute cut-throat, razor edge demands of EvE?

It's important to note that CCP is only going to release this when they've tested it to Hell and back. No way they're going to release this in an unfinished and clunky state.

TheSeks said:
*shrug* I'm not a social player. So I guess the idea of MMO funding people to gank someone that works hard to get somewhere and is only in the wrong place at the wrong time doesn't really sound too appealing to me. But that isn't the answer to my question.

As one with no stakes in EVE and doesn't care about the MMO-side of the game, why should they buy the game? The changing sides of the war is interesting, sure, but that's not the main draw of the game.

As a "FPS only" player, I just don't see this being too huge outside of the hardcore EVE crowd.
Perhaps this will do?

CCP Zymurgist said:
Adrance said:
I like the look of the game but the EVE Online interaction just brings up a lot of questions.

The main one being, what incentives to players have if they don’t play EVE? I see a lot of benefits to Dust 514 if you operate in the EVE universe but why will players pick up this FPS over others that are out or coming out (especially with all the new announcements from E3)?
CCP Shadow:

Adrance, the people that DUST 514 will most appeal to are those who want something different from the latest FPS title that they play for a few months, perhaps through a DLC map pack, and move on. DUST 514 is a persistent setting that your actions influence and shape. That’s really what DUST offers that differs from what’s currently out there.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Shadow780 said:
Somebody explain EVE to me, is it a big deal?
I'm not sure how much you know already, so I might sound condescending.

EVE Online is a spacecraft simulation MMO where players essentially carve out a living in a space and economy run by the players. So much is run by player corporations (guilds) such as mineral mining, piracy, bounty hunting, product crafting and selling. Imagine being a space-age merc hired by these player-run corporations to hinder another's efforts or profits, all with potentially real money being won or lost by the corps. Millions of ISK in currency and galactic territory can change overnight. Now an FPS player's lucky or extremely skilled victory can make this happen for the MMO players.

Shadow780

Thnikkaman said:
I'm not sure how much you know already, so I might sound condescending.

EVE Online is a spacecraft simulation MMO where players essentially carve out a living in a space and economy run by the players. So much is run by player corporations (guilds) such as mineral mining, piracy, bounty hunting, product crafting and selling. Imagine being a space-age merc hired by these player-run corporations to hinder another's efforts or profits, all with potentially real money being won or lost by the corps. Millions of ISK in currency and galactic territory can change overnight. Now an FPS player's lucky or extremely skilled victory can make this happen for the MMO players.

Thank you, that's a pretty good description.

Loudninja

More PS blog comments
+ James Egan on June 6th, 2011 at 7:41 pm said:

BlackCat, DUST 514 is a PlayStation 3 exclusive title.
+ James Egan on June 6th, 2011 at 7:56 pm said:

Excellent, glad to hear that. We don’t charge for expansions in EVE Online, nor do we plan to charge for DUST 514 expansions. It’s how we roll at CCP. ;)

+ James Egan on June 6th, 2011 at 9:59 pm said:

Summer 2012.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...t-514-a-persistent-shooter-from-ccp/#comments

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I really am surprised they are going PS3 exclusive with no PC, especially with the next gen not far off.

Afrikan

gofreak said:
Not sure if mentioned, but not only does it have no monthly fee, according to MCV it'll also be a free download.

i.e. totally free to play.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/44712/SONY-Dust-514-is-PS3-only

well..........I don't know what more needs to be said. Free play for PSV and PS3 gamers?

The PSVita might be a Dust Portable Player for some. Meaning, some might just by it only for Dust and to be part of the Eve Universe. Instead of getting PS3s, I wonder if EVE players would spend $250 for PSV to have sit right on their desk...to duel play, like some have suggested earlier.

DiscoJer

Mulligan said:
What?! Holy shit. Free to download and free DLC?? there must be some catch like microtransactions..

From the blog post:

We will continually develop and improve upon DUST 514, but that won’t be funded by going the ‘map pack sales’ route. DUST 514 will have free expansions, and that development will be funded through virtual goods sales. Plus, everyone likes having customization options, right?

The virtual goods themselves will provide all manner of weaponry and defensive technology, vehicles, and more. This perpetual arms race will provide DUST players with variety in their gameplay and an array of virtual goods that supports a chosen playstyle.

Virtual goods. I hope that doesn't mean, if you spend $50 you can have an uber-mech or whatever. But that's certainly what it reads like to me...

Sorc3r3r

The small demo shown on stage reminded me MAG.
And i love MAG.
The idea to fight for someone to achieve something in a persistent universe is amazing.
I'll follow this game very closely.

My pad is ready :p.

Free DLC, free expansions AND F2P? That's one mighty package, even if microtransactions end up being overpowered. Excellent news about PSV compatibility although I think it's a shame PC isn't getting this (for now, at least). PC made CCP what it is today and I'm sort of baffled they aren't going multiplatform, as PC is certainly a viable platofrm for this type of a game.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Wait, free to download? Really?

Do we have another source besides MCV?

Perhaps that is what this means (from the official PR)

In a departure from the traditional subscription or one-time purchase model, DUST 514 will be supported by revenues from the in-game sale of virtual goods,...

Mulligan

Banned
DiscoJer said:
From the blog post:

Virtual goods. I hope that doesn't mean, if you spend $50 you can have an uber-mech or whatever. But that's certainly what it reads like to me...
Ah well, here's to hoping you can't buy wins etc. Nothing to lose by trying it out if so, looks promising.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
They really should have publicised it being free to play.
So many baffling decisions about that conference by Sony...

Ashes

Banned
How are you going to compete with a free shooter? If this title nails the gameplay, people are gonna flock to it... I think....

Why is there a PSVita in the title? What did I miss?

And
"The Dust battlefields will include a Battlefield-style commander system and RTS elements."

GOD YES!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Seems like this is the "meltdown of E3" as of now. Last year it was Portal 2 PS3, 2009 it was Kojima at Microsoft's Conference (I think), 2008 it was FFXIII 360. :p

DiscoJer said:
From the blog post:

OneMoreQuestion said:
Maybe all the players start out with a bean shooter unless they buy something decent...
Remember, this game has its own currency system. Judging from the trailer, it looks as though Dust will use ISK (InterStellar Kredits), which is the same currency that EVE uses. It may even use Aurum later on. (A new currency that has yet to be implemented into EVE.)

This is how it'll probably be: You can earn ISK through your own achievements in the game, through corporate funding, or you can pay real money to be converted into ISK.

darkwing

BattleMonkey said:
Man the EVE player base is pretty pissed right now. The EVE FB page... lol

lol i wonder what they are pissing about, they still have EVE Online but yeah the meltdown in the EVE site is epic lol

Top Bottom