• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust: An Elysian Tail |OT| Become the Storm

HyperDuck

Neo Member
just bought this. can someone explain the parry system to me? it says to hold x.while ur attacking.but its not.really that clear..any help?

Phat Michael: As you see their swing coming in, press x to swing against it, thus parrying the shot, and hearing my awesome parry sound effect. Keep doing to hear the sound again, and again, and again. Then make the sound your alarm clock, ring tone, and generally a part of your life.

Parry life my friend, PARRY IT!

Lima

One thing I don't like is the audio mix. Any particular reason why the game doesn't use the center channel for dialog and stuff?

dan2026

I have to say, the character portraits look really low-rez and kinda crappy.

Other than that the game looks and plays great.

Dust is one sexy man in one sexy game. <3

Also, I loved the little "friend" cameo. Really looking forward to finding all the other ones, haha.

Satchel

Banned
Hmm, that's odd. I have the volume sliders on max in the settings and I need to turn my system up past my usual comfort zone to really hear anything. And of course, the achievement/friend notification pop BLASTS pretty hard. Anyway, not mission critical, but I just thought I'd mention it.

I'll have to see if I recognize that reference. For as often as I've played the games, I'm kind of a bad fan in terms of the stories, etc.

I noticed the volume thing too.

Had to turn the amp up a fair amount from what it was.

i'm guessing XNA is just sticking all sound to stereo or something, but it sounds great as it is on my headset, also hyperduck the soundtrack is amazing.

HyperDuck

Neo Member
i'm guessing XNA is just sticking all sound to stereo or something, but it sounds great as it is on my headset, also hyperduck the soundtrack is amazing.

Thanks, will have to look into this one. Lots of TVs are weird with compression and stereo presets, I know for one it sounds great on my TV but sounds underwhelming on my parents TV, which has all that mad shit happening on it. I think the master could have been a bit louder, Dean thinks it was maybe too loud, so I think it's really different experiences for everybody. Certainly haven't noticed anything wrong with the centering of the dialogue while playing yet, so not too sure about that, could be user specific, will be looked into anyway once we get a breather, 4 years of working flat out on this has left us a bit.. tired :)

Phat Michael: As you see their swing coming in, press x to swing against it, thus parrying the shot, and hearing my awesome parry sound effect. Keep doing to hear the sound again, and again, and again. Then make the sound your alarm clock, ring tone, and generally a part of your life.

Parry life my friend, PARRY IT!

AH ok it happened to me then - do you kinda see a white flash and hear an awesome like "BOOM" sound as it happens?

The instructions say to "Hold" x so thats why it wasnt working for me.

I like this game a lot, lots of fun. looks great too. Sound effects and music are lovely.

HyperDuck

Neo Member
AH ok it happened to me then - do you kinda see a white flash and hear an awesome like "BOOM" sound as it happens?

The instructions say to "Hold" x so thats why it wasnt working for me.

I like this game a lot, lots of fun. looks great too. Sound effects and music are lovely.

The game is a fool, he drinks heavily, he's never on time, trust me over him, always! Thanks for the kind words :) Really appreciate the praise!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
My impression so far is that it plays amazingly well and that this would be extremely impressive for a full small scale team of 10-15 people. The writing is also much more interesting than one might have thought, if only because a very basic, serviceable story is required for this kind of game. But the writing goes a step further, and the gaming references are a lot more clever and subtle than you typically see.

Visually, one thing I have to commend Noogy on is how the same strategy Vanillaware uses in their 2D games is executed: using modular backdrop pieces to create a variety of locations while saving labor. The thing is, I think Noogy did it much better than Vanillaware here. There's a huge amount of careful consideration in how the scenery is constructed, getting the most out of it possible. Some areas are quite epic too.

If I had to criticize anything in the game that sticks out to me so far, it would be a short list:

1. I feel the combat could have used hitstop to make it feel a bit more punchy.

2. There probably should have been some kind of visual warning when health is very low, such as a glow around the player character, or at the edges of the screen. It's too easy to get wiped out suddenly due to the (glorious) chaos happening on screen.

3. Entirely separate from the discussion over art genre, I do feel the character art and design of most of the NPCs is not nearly as good as Dust, and yes, even Fidget, and the enemies. That's something that didn't get enough attention pre-release - forget the animal people, the enemies in the game are creative and very well designed. But there's definitely a drop in design quality between Dust and the enemies, and the civilians populating the world. Except for the merchant though; he's great, as well as the reference he's designed around.

Mind you, these points are incredibly minor compared to what a two person team has achieved.

PopfulMail

Was going to linger around here and on twitter throughout the day in hopes of getting a code... instead I woke up and just bought the damn game. Beautiful!!! Can't wait to dig in this evening.

I think I might die from all funny references and jokes from Fidget.

"You don't want to anywhere near his sword! Have you screen the screen? He goes all whooshzeewoosh!"

Woah, encountered a pretty big bug. At one point the inventory screen just wouldn't load up. You could see the background of Dust and Fidget, but no menu items. I suggested to my bro playing that he should enter a new area and go back. When he went to a different area, the screen was black except for the blue loading flame thing. Luckily he had saved not too long before it happened. Had to dashboard though.

ced

Fuck it, blind bought it, everything sounds like my favorite games.

Please tell me there is a jump button and not push up on the stick though, I won't be playing it until tonight.

Have to go to work now until midnight :( but dust will be waiting for me and then I can stay up half the night slicing things up.

BTW I think fidget's second projectile type is way too good and strong.

Fuck it, blind bought it, everything sounds like my favorite games.

Please tell me there is a jump button and not push up on the stick though, I won't be playing it until tonight.

A button to jump by default, not too sure how much you can change things.

Did I miss the codes? :)

Nah, here's some now!

Woah, encountered a pretty big bug. At one point the inventory screen just wouldn't load up. You could see the background of Dust and Fidget, but no menu items. I suggested to my bro playing that he should enter a new area and go back. When he went to a different area, the screen was black except for the blue loading flame thing. Luckily he had saved not too long before it happened. Had to dashboard though.

That sucks, but Noogy's been veeeery generous with save points. I don't think anyone will ever lose more than five minutes progress even if there's a power cut or something.

2. There probably should have been some kind of visual warning when health is very low, such as a glow around the player character, or at the edges of the screen. It's too easy to get wiped out suddenly due to the (glorious) chaos happening on screen.

Dust flashes when his health is low

Did I miss the codes? :)

Noogy was saying that he should have more to give out later today here and on his twitter account @NoogyTweet

I'd imagine there will be other sites around the internet that will be giving out codes like PlayXBLA.com has been.

Edit - Beaten. Hope people enjoy the game as much as I am!

Yo Gotti

Banned
I would buy it but I don't think I could be any more put off by the character designs. Literally green cubes would be less off putting. Will probably buy when on sale and then skip all the cut scenes/dialogue if you can.

Now, I think I'm offput by furry crap as much as anyone, but this game looks like something special. I can't miss it.

Lima

Certainly haven't noticed anything wrong with the centering of the dialogue while playing yet, so not too sure about that, could be user specific, will be looked into anyway once we get a breather, 4 years of working flat out on this has left us a bit.. tired :)

Well the center channel in my 5.2 system is dead silent all the time. Dialog is still centered because I'm sitting in the sweet spot between my front left and right speakers, but that was not what I was referring to.

Nah, here's some now!

vader.jpg

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
just played the trial, game appears to be basically as good as it looks - stellar!

but 15$ is a bit steep for me this month

Ok - I've missed this at first due to the chaos and Dust already changing color as dust storm overheats.

The HUD flashes too, you can resize it to about 50% of the screen so you definitely won't miss it =P

That may negatively impact the rest of what you see but, well, ya know!

(It made me laugh out loud when I was messing with the HUD options, I was like "he can't possibly let me play with the HUD that big, can he? He can!")

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
I really want to play this, I'm 220 points short :(

Good job on the game Noogy, I hope it's really successful.

Top Bottom