• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust: An Elysian Tail |OT| Become the Storm

I wonder if the challenge rooms scale with the difficulty setting? The first one I came across I got 10k+ with ease on my first try. I am playing on Tough.

Jesus, I just barely managed 6k. :( Man, I suck.

Also, does anyone else think the dust storm is quite possibly the most satisfying move in any game, ever. I just love the way it obliterates everything and when used in the air...Good Lord.

EDIT

That Dust storm skill is pretty sweet too.

Yes, yes it is.

Jesus, I just barely managed 6k. :( Man, I suck.

Also, does anyone else think the dust storm is quite possibly the most satisfying move in any game, ever. I just love the way it obliterates everything and when used in the air...Good Lord.

I played a little bit of Alice: Madness Returns today, and all I could think was "FFS, I have to attack you ONE BY ONE?!"

I played a little bit of Alice: Madness Returns today, and all I could think was "FFS, I have to attack you ONE BY ONE?!"

I fear for other games after this. I'm getting used to having dust storm destroy everything that it's going to be hard playing something like DS2. :(

One last thing - Chapter 2. Oh my god, Chapter 2. :O

Omega

Banned
How long is this supposed to be?

I liked the demo but I'm hoping it's not some 3 hour game like seemingly every XBLA game is.

S1kkZ

just got to chapter 3. there are still a few areas i cannot reach
is there some sort of double jump later on? i got the climbing ability but there are a few areas out of reach.

aku:jiki

How long is this supposed to be?

I liked the demo but I'm hoping it's not some 3 hour game like seemingly every XBLA game is.
Have to say that I don't think you fully grasp the concept behind XBLA...

About 15-20 hours!
Hey, what kind of game is this on the money front? I mean, is there a steady flow of cash so I can buy this Smooth Ring right now or do I need to save money for later? I want the Ring!

Einbroch

Banned
Would you guys at least say thanks and that you took a code? Seriously. I don't have a problem not getting one, but when they're already used and no one says anything it's annoying and rude.

tumblr_llwp2rAOcK1qhqg0d.jpg

What's in the box, what's in the box?!

I hope there are more awesome quests like this.

Lima

The reference to Resident Evil 4 is also pretty good. Like when you first meet that merchant. He talks about buying items at a high price ah.

Omega

Banned
Have to say that I don't think you fully grasp the concept behind XBLA...

Hey, what kind of game is this on the money front? I mean, is there a steady flow of cash so I can buy this Smooth Ring right now or do I need to save money for later? I want the Ring!

or maybe I understand the concept and just wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting $15?

no, couldn't quite possibly be that.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Damn Noogy, been following this since the beginning when the DBP build won. The GFX always were a thing of beauty but seeing it all into action everything is how it's supposed to be, from gameplay to music, great coherence! Those reviews show it too

I hope you'll get some great sales out of it, you deserve it!

Would you guys at least say thanks and that you took a code? Seriously. I don't have a problem not getting one, but when they're already used and no one says anything it's annoying and rude.

It is kinda silly to not post when you have to actually be in the reply window to even see the code

On normal I didn't really spend any money at all, in tough/hardcore I'd say just go for it depending on how much you're spending on healing stuff. You find so much stuff that you can sell that I never really wanted for anything in normal

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
You must be shitting me. I finally decided to just buy the game and now Amazon won't take my credit card number for a points transaction.

Sadly, I spoiled
the Meat Boy reveal
myself by watching the GiantBomb Quick Look, but I was really giddy when
I saw the Gold Idol in the underground caverns and knew that it was Spelunky in the cage next to it.

The little details in this game make me love it even more!

Sadly, I spoiled
the Meat Boy reveal
myself by watching the GiantBomb Quick Look, but I was really giddy when
I saw the Gold Idol in the underground caverns and knew that it was Spelunky in the cage next to it.

Yeah, that's what I've been trying to keep from people, 'cause if you'd have known that was coming it wouldn't have felt nearly as awesome

Item Box

just got to chapter 3. there are still a few areas i cannot reach
is there some sort of double jump later on? i got the climbing ability but there are a few areas out of reach.

From my experience after playing the demo,
there was a double jump. This game wouldn't be metroidvania if there wasn't ;)

aku:jiki

toythatkills said:
On normal I didn't really spend any money at all, in tough/hardcore I'd say just go for it depending on how much you're spending on healing stuff. You find so much stuff that you can sell that I never really wanted for anything in normal
Hm, I'm playing on tough and haven't bought a single healing item yet. Then again, I did just hook up with the blacksmith so I'm assuming that's one of the proper ways to get good stuff. Got my +10 attack thing right away!

Also, up to 7448 players!

or maybe I understand the concept and just wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting $15?

no, couldn't quite possibly be that.
No, actually, you just don't get it. You're one of those people, who "beats" shmups by pumping 150 credits into them and then complain about how they're only 25 minutes long, aren't you?

Yeah, that's what I've been trying to keep from people, 'cause if you'd have known that was coming it wouldn't have felt nearly as awesome

I tried to stay away from as many spoilers as I possibly could and thankfully, it has paid off so far. I really gotta thank you for pointing out reviews with spoilers as well!

microtubule

That is sad. Well thanks toythatkills for doing this even though I haven't used any codes you listed.

Well Noogy I bought it and played a bit of it so far, I wish MS would delete the game from my account without refunding me so I can buy it again so you get more money. It's amazing on all aspects so far, the music, the voice acting, the animations and even Fidget! :D

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Ok, so, finally, Dust! Impressions:

- Yeah, I could see the opening narration being annoying for those who are not totally sold (does this happen in the Demo?) I'm enjoying the characters, so this is great for me, however!

- I really love how everyone I've talked to (up to the first town) has multiple lines of dialog to say. First game I noticed this in was Lunar PS1 version, and I've loved it since! And each bonus is a solidly acted, vastly different bonus of a convo.

- Revisiting that Voice acting; I agree with what ttk said earlier. These people feel like they're the characters talking, within their own situations. Not like stilted lines of non-flowing dialog, or words compressed in speach, in order to fit into a certain mouthflap of time. Nothing sounds far off from what I expect it too, and this is one of few times where it's clearly adding to the experience, rather than just feeling like "an expected formality".

- The range and "trustiness" of attacking is just right. Solid and tested, I love how the activation ranges for the grapples are pretty generous. It's made in a way where you're really fighting the enemies, and not the game itself. Holding attack for parry was an ingenious idea; I remember feeling, for example, that Royal Guard was extra-bothersome in DMC 3, but this system works so well, I was parrying before the game explained it.

--- THIS is the kind of smoothness of gameplay I think many games lost, when buttons
--- went from 2 action buttons, to 8+.

- Animation is great, focused on the main character, and not just on, say, a stance, like an ASW game. There's style to everything he does, and it makes it a joy to watch. Enemey variety with the different colors, all mixed into packs, is also great. Makes them feel like, say, a family of beast from a tribe, rather than just "level 1, 2 and 3 beast, each from a different stage".

- Thank you for this large-on-screen main character, and grand sense of scale. That first big "screen pulled back" fight in Archer's Pass felt like I just leaped into another level of combat, as the camera pulled back, and Dust storm took on a whole new level of destruction. It's the kind of thing you don't get with a game that's always zoomed out, or that constantly has tiny characters.

- Shop menu flows brilliantly. I love how clicking to item to make with the blacksmith, will bring up it's ingredients; clickign one of THEM will then take you to being able to buy some of them from the shop. Efficient in the way a gamer would want it; thanks! I have to admit, Odin's Sphere's item system drained a lot of the fun from the game for me. It was overly complex for no reason at times.

- These load times are FRICKIN FANTASTIC. And some really smart decisions, such as being able to "exit" to the world map, and cancel back to the map you were on instantly, to grind enemy spawns. Retry is nearly instant, even after death. It's a level of intelligent polish that makes the game easy to play, and keeps stage movement and death from being a chore in any way.

- And yes, Dust Storm might be one of the best attacks ever.

- Hey, nice dubbing for the voices, too. Is this using an advanced version of what working designs used for Popful mail (The game animated mouth movement from a library of animations dynamically), or did you really personally animate each of these sequences?

- After having no direct interest in it (past my own hyping), a friend texted me today with a very straightforward "OK... Dust is Awesome!" today. That quality shines through!

- Last but not least, gotta hype the Hyperduck & co. The music has been incredibly fitting, to the point where I almost... tune it out? It FEELS like it belongs. And the way it'll fade out at certain heights / near save points is charming.

- There is special thanks in the credits to the Samurai Pizza Cats. RESPECT.

One game that defines Summer of Arcade... perfect!

TLDR; BUY THIS, PEOPLE! ^_^

Danielsan

I'm 3 hours in and really liking the game. I take back my initial gripe with the voice acting. It's actually pretty good all around! One new minor gripe is the map. I'm currently in chapter 2
underground
and while I'm making good progress, the map tells me pretty much nothing about where I've been. I dread ever going back to get some missed treasures.

I'm 3 hours in and really liking the game. I take back my initial gripe with the voice acting. It's actually pretty good all around! One new minor gripe is the map. I'm currently in chapter 2
underground
and while I'm making good progress, the map tells me pretty much nothing about where I've been. I dread ever going back to get some missed treasures.

Main point to keep in mind is that on the map all the areas with a circle around them contain treasure. If they have a dot that means the treasure has been collected.

meppi

Tried the demo this evening. Didn't really think I'd end up liking the game as it seemed to be a rather simple button masher from the previews I had watched before release.
Still, I know that when toythatkills gives it the thumbs up, the chance of me not liking it would be very slim. He hasn't steamed me wrong a single time yet. ;)

So after playing the demo for 5 minutes and getting the first "unlock the full game" prompt, I thought, why not.

The button mashing part might still seem somewhat accurate, but somehow it's extremely satisfying.
Really surprised as to how this game has hooked me.
And I have to say I love Fidget. It doesn't happen a lot, heck, barely at all actually that a game makes me laugh out loud. But the humor in Dust seems to know how to tickle my funnybone.

"from beyond the grave" was just the latest example of this. :)

So far this is probably the nicest surprise of the year for me.

That is sad. Well thanks toythatkills for doing this even though I haven't used any codes you listed.

It's Noogy you need to thank, all I'm doing is copying and pasting, the awesome kindness is all his! :)

The button mashing part might still seem somewhat accurate, but somehow it's extremely satisfying.

It's one of those games where button mashing will get you pretty far (on normal at least) but if you actually learn the systems properly and start killing everything in 200+ combos it feels totally ace

Noogy

Just got up, I apologize that I can't respond to everyone, but I'm glad most of you are enjoying the game :) Thank you for giving Dust your time, it means a lot!

I have been compiling a list of technical issues, so I read everything. And regarding the 'less-than-pristine' nature of character portraits, it was strictly a memory issue. I'd love nothing more than to provide all artwork uncompressed, but I use a LOT of massive spritesheets and it just wasn't feasable.

Toy, how you doing on tokens? Thanks for handling those while I was away.

Also, I've just been notified that the remaining Avatar items are now on the marketplace! Note that the Dust 'head + hat' combo is a bit spoilery, so dont click on that thumbnail unless you've beaten the game.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Dust-An-Elysian-Tail/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410a67

Just finished Chapter One, I love it! Controls so well, super satisfying mowing through guys with different combos.

Played the trial, bought it upon levelling up, but it didn't unlock the achievement like promised, which was odd (the only reason I mention it).

Anyway, after my super stressful/depressing day, this level of fun was exactly what I needed.

Has anyone played the Dust track on Trials Evolution? Loved how they had the pesky squirrel floating behind you like it was Fidget. Awesome touch lol

Top Bottom