• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust: An Elysian Tail |OT| Become the Storm

So yeah, this is pretty freaking incredible so far. Loving the visuals, nearly cried man tears when the deers first run past you and I love the weather effects.

really addictive.and.hard.to put down. its this years "bastion" for me. like the voice acting.as.well even though some reviewers didnt. seems like a.fairly decent.sized game for what you are paying. big shame there is no NG+ tho :/

On hardcore is there any way to restore your health other than through food? At the moment I really wish it recovered whenever you left an area.

Well that wouldn't be very hardcore =P

On the lesser difficulties you get health restored at save points, but yeah, you've got food or nothing for now. (You'll get regen later, if you want it).

I heard a pretty good Dust joke just now:

Knock Knock?
(Who's there?)
FQ4WC
(FQ4WC who?)

On the lesser difficulties you get health restored at save points, but yeah, you've got food or nothing for now. (You'll get regen later, if you want it).

Knock Knock?
(Who's there?)
FQ4WC
(FQ4WC who?)
Smart one.
Got it. :)

Now to 100% this today.

Thanks.

Seda

Knock Knock?
(Who's there?)
FQ4WC
(FQ4WC who?)

I just had to go eat lunch :(

Knock Knock?
(Who's there?)
FQ4WC
(FQ4WC who?)

Again. This isn't my day at all.

Just finished my first boss fight, was pretty great. A little annoying at points due to the attacks, but it presented a decent challenge. Looking forward to the others.

Also happened across a challenge arena which was harder than the boss fight. lol. Still managed to get through it with just 3 seconds let on the clock and a score of 6100 or thereabouts.

Really digging the game so far, have both Sleeping Dogs and DS2 waiting to be played but I just stop playing this.

Does the game have a lot of stuttering in the framerate at all? It seems when there's messages on the screen, or notifications popping up, the framerate suddenly chugs for me.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Probably gonna buy that game sometime this week, but it doesn't hurt checking this thread every now and then until then to see if I don't get lucky and manage to snatch up a code.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
This product is ridiculously polished. I mean obviously its had the benefit of being a pet project for a very long time, but the polish puts a lot of bigtime publisher stuff to shame.

Very impressed. My only negative is the run cycle looks goofy, it doesnt suit the speed he actually runs at, and thus looks off. All other animation is great but that.

Does the game have a lot of stuttering in the framerate at all? It seems when there's messages on the screen, or notifications popping up, the framerate suddenly chugs for me.

I've noticed it a couple of times, but it only happens when I manually save. Haven't encountered any problems when notifications, etc pop up.

That's happened every time that an achievement pops up for me. Thankfully, the stuttering goes away after about 15 seconds and then its smooth sailing.

aku:jiki

That's happened every time that an achievement pops up for me. Thankfully, the stuttering goes away after about 15 seconds and then its smooth sailing.
That's a standard XBLA thing that happens in most games, probably something in the XNA SDK. It's called the "achievement freeze."

That's a standard XBLA thing that happens in most games, probably something in the XNA SDK. It's called the "achievement freeze."

I know what you mean, but I think this may be a little different. It may have to do with the game using as much of the RAM as possible. Rather than a brief pause, achievement notification, then everything back to normal like most XBLA game, it's more like the rare 2 or 3 actual stutters outside of notifications that I have experienced during my playthrough of this game.

For example, when I defeated the first boss I experienced a good 2-3 seconds of slowdown, the achievement popped up, and then the game has continued stuttering for a good 10 seconds usually during dialogue before its back to 60fps.

It's been my only gripe over the past 5 hours that I have been playing nonstop. Other than that, I am adoring everything about this game, and it's really hard to put down.

PopfulMail

Only played for about 20 minutes this AM but I noticed this 3 times... each time when an achievement popped up.

mollipen

Great review. Noticed a typo at the end.

THE GOOD: An adventure brimming with enjoyment from begging to end.

I will have to give our copy editor a hard time for that one! *heh*

I'm quite surprised you say that about save points, they're pretty much every other screen for most of the game and I never felt like I lost too much when I died, not more than a couple of minutes ever.

I felt like there were situations where you were put through a lot, and then a save point wasn't where I had expected it to be. I mean, really, it's a small complaint in the overall scheme of the game, but it was something that I personally came away feeling could have been better. However, it also is kind of the "new-school versus old-school" argument, as I think Dust asks us to stand up to challenges that were totally typical in the 16-bit era yet which today might seem like a lot to ask. Plus, my like or dislike of the location of save points had no real effect on the score that I gave the game.

Nice review man. Well written. I havent experienced the uneven difficulty yet and i thought the voice acting was cute, not really bad at all.

Re-reading what I wrote, I do sound a little harsh on the voice acting. *laughs* I'm not saying the voice acting is bad, just that there's clearly a difference between games where the voice acting and storyline have gone through massive professional organizations that spend thousands of dollars on working on those facets, and then a project where you can clearly tell it was more of a labor of love. Dust is definitely the latter, and I do think that could not appeal to some people who will play the game. For me, as I said in the review, I appreciated what was presented.

Domstercool

I will have to give our copy editor a hard time for that one! *heh*

I felt like there were situations where you were put through a lot, and then a save point wasn't where I had expected it to be. I mean, really, it's a small complaint in the overall scheme of the game, but it was something that I personally came away feeling could have been better. However, it also is kind of the "new-school versus old-school" argument, as I think Dust asks us to stand up to challenges that were totally typical in the 16-bit era yet which today might seem like a lot to ask. Plus, my like or dislike of the location of save points had no real effect on the score that I gave the game.

SCORE: 9.0

Hybrid is an Xbox 360 exclusive available via Xbox Live Arcade.

Should beat him for that too! :D

BigAT

Is there any information on who the voice actors are in this? Fidget sounds like Tara Strong, although I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't her.

Edit: Never mind, I found the credits in game and it isn't her.

Lima

The menu music is great.

Also, did anyone start on Hardcore?

Screw it. Going Hardcore.

Yeah I did.

This game is like Halo.

It should not be played on normal. At minimum you should start on tough. If you are boss you can start on hardcore right away.

aku:jiki

This game... mother of god... it's glorious! Everything I hoped it would be and I don't think I dislike anything about it. Massive thanks again to Noogy for being the coolest guy ever, this is exactly the brightening of a week that I needed.

Fidget is too cute!

Edit: Shit! I was thinking Tough wasn't so tough, then I met the first boss. I guess I'm not so tough. :(

6400 when I was playing a short while ago.
Over 6600 right now. Neat part was that it rose by about 30 people while I was checking what leaderboards it has.

Jhoan

Count me in as another one who played the demo and was blown away by it enough to check it out (I happened to have 800MSP from the Bing rewards so it wasn't too much from my end). The combat was bad ass enough to sell me on it as was the Metroidvania gameplay. I love the music; it reminds me of Castlevania so that's another bonus. This is first 1200MSP game I bought since Castle Crashers which I didn't enjoy at that price, but it's as good as Shadow Complex which I also bought at full price at the time and absolutely enjoyed.

The only thing that annoyed me is that I unlocked the full game, but the game didn't acknowledge it, so now I'm re-downloading it to see if that does the trick. It reminds me a little bit of Blood Rayne: Betrayal in that they have the same aerial flip and DMC-esque combat. Except that this game is much faster and has light hearted tone. It also reminds me of Odin Sphere with all the cute furries. I can't believe one man did 75% of the work. It's amazing so massive respect to you Noogy.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I wonder if the challenge rooms scale with the difficulty setting? The first one I came across I got 10k+ with ease on my first try. I am playing on Tough.

Top Bottom