• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust: An Elysian Tail |OT| Become the Storm

I played this for like three hours today, it's so good.

And at first I sort of hated Fidget but she's grown to be kinda funny. Although her voice can be kind of annoying.

Fjordson

Has the actor who plays Dust been in any big name animes or something? He sounds so familiar, but I can't pinpoint where I've heard him.

Anyways, playing this game continues to be a joy.

ProfNut

I guess once I buy the game I won't get these "trial second chance" ?? Guess I'll have to lower the difficulty level... (I suck).

I guess once I buy the game I won't get these "trial second chance" ?? Guess I'll have to lower the difficulty level... (I suck).

Haha, that's correct. But I think you'll be fine with normal difficulty, I feel that the trial is more difficult than the full game. But maybe I just got better after playing the trial.

Noogy

Reposting for new page. I'm hoping I can at least finish the main story tonight, but not if I can't get all the collectables in this playthrough.

Hey, so there's no saving after the end. So you can load your last save and '100%' the game after. You'll just need to redo the last 'thing'.

Feep

Banned
Has the actor who plays Dust been in any big name animes or something? He sounds so familiar, but I can't pinpoint where I've heard him.

Anyways, playing this game continues to be a joy.
From Lucien himself:

"Chili from Pokemon, and a few voices from Tiger and Bunny. "

Also, he was in my game, Sequence. :)

Cheska

I think the guys online at this moment and pressing f5 deserve codes :(

Or you could you know, actually buy the game and spend the time playing rather than refreshing the page.

The thing that's impressing me the most so far is how vibrant this world is. I've sat idle for more than a couple of minutes just enjoying the view and colors presented. Bravo Noogy!

Fry

Or you could you know, actually buy the game and spend the time playing rather than refreshing the page.

Jesus. More like the guy whose blood, sweat and tears went into making this game deserves your money.

illPnd1nfZGIY.gif

I was posting in request of a friend of mine. Whatever.

Saerk

Just played through the demo, and I enjoyed it. Went ahead and bought the game. Easily the best game of the SoA. I imagine it impresses the rest of the way through. Great job with this one Noogy.

Card Boy

Banned
Looks like it may get to 15,000 in the first 24 hours. Not bad at all.

Second to Tony Hawk HD in terms of Winter of the Arcade sales i believe. The other 3 games where a disaster. Tony Hawk only fails for having barebones content, but is otherwise a good game.

Shady859

Spent another hour playing! I'm 21 on leaderboard for longest chain with 2691, leader has darn near 15k!

Oh yea, congrats and thanks for the great game Noogy. No more freebies people need to buy this, it's worth every dollar I paid!

Item Box

Man, Fidget is really starting to grow on me. I found her to be pretty annoying at first, but her occasionally breaking the 4th wall always gets me.

I lost it
when she asked how I put a sheep in my inventory for a quest where I had to collect said lost sheep.

zulux21

Geez, my highest combo is like 200. Although I haven't really made an attempt for a really high combo yet.

mine was 223 last I looked, but I also just did a huge chain that likely beat that. I am currently level 5.

I love the fact that (interactions with NPCs)
the first time you talk to a npc you get exp... more motivation to find everyone and talk to them :p though they are interesting enough for me to track down and talk to even with out that bonus.

C4Lukins

I hate the voice acting on the sword. It is like a creepy molester uncle. Everything else is awesome, but I do want to be alone with that sword.

aku:jiki

Managed to spend a few hours on the game yesterday and loved every minute of it. I don't know what to say besides what's already been said, but the game is just love from start to, well, 3 hours into it but I assume it extends all the way to the end and only gets better as we go along!

I even love the voice acting, sure it's obvious that it's not all super-professional work but that's something I love about indie games, the amateurish charm just makes the delightful dialogue even more enjoyable. The girl who plays Fidget messes up sometimes but that feels like it fits the character and just endears her more to me!

The worst part of it all is that I have a lot of boring real-life stuff to take care of and won't be able to fully immerse myself into the game until the weekend. I am so extremely tempted to throw my hands up, say fuck it, and go home and play all day... That kind of feeling is why I'm still into games so hats off to Noogy both for making the game and doing me a huge kindness with it.

(Which I now kinda feel sorry for, btw. Feels like I caused all this begging and that was never the intention. Stop trying to abuse him, guys, I got really lucky and that's that!)

Noogy

Just beat the first boss. LOVING IT. Playing on Tough mode, btw.

Awesome, glad you are enjoying it. Yeah, I like Tough because you sort of fight differently, and actually keep your eye on health items.

The biggest difference between difficulties, for me, is the speed at which energy regenerates. You play very differently when you can't spam Fidget and evasive moves.

The biggest difference between difficulties, for me, is the speed at which energy regenerates. You play very differently when you can't spam Fidget and evasive moves.

Heh, Noogy says that with a straight face while placing enemies into the game that can't be attacked with the sword. :p

Minor item spoilers:
The Master Ring of Vigilance (3x drop rate) is just ridiculous. I'm equipping two of them and every fight is just a torrent of loot. It feels really broken, but also totally awesome. Haven't had to worry about money or healing items since I was able to buy two of them.

Oh, right, Noogy.
I was wondering, how do you unlock the
Fidget T-Shirt avatar award? I got the 3 spells and a few points invested into her abilities, and I got the awards, but someone else I know has maxed her out, got all the spells and didn't unlock the shirts yet.

Minor item spoilers:
The Master Ring of Vigilance (3x drop rate) is just ridiculous. I'm equipping two of them and every fight is just a torrent of loot. It feels really broken, but also totally awesome. Haven't had to worry about money or healing items since I was able to buy two of them.

There's actually
a ring that gives even more drop rate

Just about completed my last side quest for finding Sarahi in the
Hidden Cove
and the game crashed on me for the first time. I'd say that's pretty good after such a long play session.

I like the game, and it fits in well with Deadlight, Shank 2, and a number of solid releases on XBLA.

Art direction is sick.

Gameplay is fun.

My one critique (from one writer to another): maybe next game could have a little more gravitas in the plot. What's so great about anime is that the movies/TV shows can be so whacky and out there but do hit home with some darker themes/moments. So far, Dust has been nothing but light, and I would like to see a little more edginess in the writing. It would give the battles that much more intensity and round out the world a bit. Ok, rant done.

My one critique (from one writer to another): maybe next game could have a little more gravitas in the plot. What's so great about anime is that the movies/TV shows can be so whacky and out there but do hit home with some darker themes/moments. So far, Dust has been nothing but light, and I would like to see a little more edginess in the writing. It would give the battles that much more intensity and round out the world a bit. Ok, rant done.

The game starts out light-hearted, but it gets quite dark later on.

Jhoan

This game is so good. I got the
sliding ability and the lightning ability. Currently up to the zombie level.
I'm playing on Hardcore after my brother insisted I do so. Most of my money goes to healing items/new armor, pendants, augments, and rings; I always heal like crazy. I've died a ton but it's been completely my fault. Fidget is beastly and extremely funny to boot. I love all the little references to other games so far. Besides the frame rate drops every now and then and the music fading in and out when buying stuff, the game is great. I knew Dust's VA sounded familiar. My highest combo so far has been 1373. I got the 1000 hits achievement in the forest level where tons of imps are without much effort level by spamming Dust Storm+ Fidget's Tetra Spirit-like move.

Where do I find the
red stones for the Mudpool(?) side quest? I have the ring that lights up equipped, but I don't know where to look for them at.

The game starts out light-hearted, but it gets quite dark later on.

Cool. Looking forward to that. Maybe it's just too many jokes from Fidget and not loving her voice actor. Oh well. Nothing's perfect (also transitioning from Darksiders II to Dust is a big contrast).

Glad to have these 2 great games to play until school starts.

wiggleb0t

Banned
Truly glorious! As mentioned above the vibrancy of colors is very welcome! Game is filled with charm & polish.
Spent 980ms points on avatar gear to further support the game. First time I've purchased avatar clothing/gear.

Would love to see this sell really well
Thanks for a great game Sir Noogy

Finally sat down with the game...loveeee it.

Decided to choose Hardcore. Currently at 12%.

I won't be putting this down for a while. All other games I was playing take a backseat.

Great, great job.

Fjordson

Just beat the first boss. LOVING IT. Playing on Tough mode, btw.
Right where I'm at as well. Coming out of that area now.

I'm definitely glad I restarted on Tough. Combat shines on this difficulty, and for the most part I'm getting punished when I devolve into button mashing as opposed to actually executing combos and using all my different abilities.

Also, just four starred my first challenge arena. That was a blast. Kept reloading my save for a good 15 minutes to up my score.

First thing I noticed was the character jumps off into a run and puts on the brakes complete with flowing hair and cloth animations the exact same way as Alucard from Symphony of the Night. It looks great and I would have done the exact same thing.

Great game and bought. Way deeper than I thought it would be. Dean, let us know what color your Lamborghini is going to be.

Top Bottom