• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust: An Elysian Tail |OT| Become the Storm

I think that's intentional :p

Also, the enemies from the caves look like this guy:

Gergoth.gif

(Castlevania boss)

Yay, Gergoth! I noticed that too, haha.

Salsa

I... dont really like the look of this game. Everyone's praising the art but it just feels super washed out to me, and too many light effects and stuff like that going on. Super busy. It just looks weird, cant put my finger on it but I certainly dont think it's as good as people are claiming it is (IMO, of course. More of a "style I dont like" thing, so it's just personal), camera also feels kinda close. Props to the guy though, amazing task.

edit: the animation on the other hand is superb

Is there any site to help me with the fetch side quests? I don't know a good place to find Beast Spears ("Talking Point" quest) or Red Moss, where are these giant red mushrooms?

Is there any site to help me with the fetch side quests? I don't know a good place to find Beast Spears ("Talking Point" quest) or Red Moss, where are these giant red mushrooms?

Beast spears you can buy in the shop if you've catalogued them. Red Moss I think you have to get later with more skills. You'll find them when you're clearing out treasures.

I can help you out with that. Beast Spears is one of the enemy material drops. They are carried by the generic grunts that run around in the first few areas, they drop by chance. If you sell it to a merchant, they will restock it every now and then so you can buy the materials.

The Red Moss
is found in the caves. On the way to the boss, there's a crossroads directly at a save point. If you go right on that split, you should be seeing some small glowing red mushrooms. Follow that path. There's a jumping section with spiked platforms in a room or two later on. You can take one of the bomb fruit with you to shed light (it gets really fucking dark there), and at the end of the jumping section, there's the big red mushrooms. Halfway on the path up is a treasure chest.

I can help you out with that. Beast Spears is one of the enemy material drops. They are carried by the generic grunts that run around in the first few areas, they drop by chance. If you sell it to a merchant, they will restock it every now and then so you can buy the materials.

Ahh, of course the shops. So that's what the restocking means, gotta sell that stuff first.

The Red Moss
is found in the caves. On the way to the boss, there's a crossroads directly at a save point. If you go right on that split, you should be seeing some small glowing red mushrooms. Follow that path. There's a jumping section with spiked platforms in a room or two later on. You can take one of the bomb fruit with you to shed light (it gets really fucking dark there), and at the end of the jumping section, there's the big red mushrooms. Halfway on the path up is a treasure chest.

The Cirromon Caverns? Oh god, nightmares. I hate the spikes :(

Despite intending to play this all night, I only got about 15mins on it as my wife used the old "oooh this looks interesting, can I have a go?" routine and continued to hog it for the next 2 hours! Needless to say, it's definitely one of those games that's also a pleasure to just watch.

Despite intending to play this all night, I only got about 15mins on it as my wife used the old "oooh this looks interesting, can I have a go?" routine and continued to hog it for the next 2 hours! Needless to say, it's definitely one of those games that's also a pleasure to just watch.

Yeah, the pretty colors and animal aesthetic got my sister transfixed and gave her a go.

Noogy

Yeah, the pretty colors and animal aesthetic got my sister transfixed and gave her a go.

Good to hear :) Every girl (excuse me, woman) in my life that has had a chance to try Dust:AET has been immediately drawn by the art, whereas it's more of a polarizing thing for guys. Many of my aesthetic decisions were to appeal to a different audience than your standard white American dudebro gamer.

Good to hear :) Every girl (excuse me, woman) in my life that has had a chance to try Dust:AET has been immediately drawn by the art, whereas it's more of a polarizing thing for guys. Many of my aesthetic decisions were to appeal to a different audience than your standard white American dudebro gamer.

So the WHOLE game is girlfriend mode? That's really sexist!!

zulux21

so.....
I think I have decided that every single one of my friends with a 360 is getting dust for christmas this year.... Just need to wait for the paycheck so I can afford to do so lol.

Skill and Item spoilers:

Is there something like double jump? Or are you supposed to use mid-air sword combos to get top Mithrain's Augment in Cirromon Caverns?

Satchel

Banned
Ooooook.

Just dropped down the bottom of a hole in the foreskin caverns aaaaaand the game just faded out and went to the Xbox dashboard.

Weird.

eso76

I... dont really like the look of this game. Everyone's praising the art but it just feels super washed out to me, and too many light effects and stuff like that going on. Super busy. It just looks weird, cant put my finger on it but I certainly dont think it's as good as people are claiming it is (IMO, of course. More of a "style I dont like" thing, so it's just personal), camera also feels kinda close. Props to the guy though, amazing task.

edit: the animation on the other hand is superb

i used to think it looked slightly washed out and slightly lacking fine details from vids, but on my tv it looks fantastic. Maybe not as 'rich' as Rayman origins, but still gorgeous.
what i really dont like is Npc's design, that does look slightly amateurish, sorry.
everything else, including the game itself, is stellar.

Alright, I'm halfway through Sorrowing Meadow, and I've got 4 (comparably small) issues with the game so far.

- I agree that the NPC art looks a bit off, especially in comparison with the rest. I think it's the huge eyes and the bunny feet on each of them. This is the only design issue I have, otherwise the art is gorgeous.

- The jump-on-platform detection seems a bit wonky to me. Sometimes the platform doesn't notice I was jumping on top of it, so I have to press X for that minimal vertical boost the aerial sword swing gives. This might be intentional, though, so I dunno.

- I have no clue at all how the lock mechanic on the chests works. I know it's supposed to be kinda like Simon Says, but sometimes I have to mash a button frantically for the minigame to actually start (once I sat there for about 2 minutes just mashing the same button to start it off). It really should have had the option to cancel the minigame (so you can restart it). Sometimes I press the displayed button and the minigame fails. Sometime I press the wrong button and actually succeed. I have no clue what's going on. @_@

- This seems to be a glitch - does anyone have this? Occasionally during fights, Dust starts spazzing out like crazy and "vibrate" - for the lack of a better word - quickly, turning around.

- I have no clue at all how the lock mechanic on the chests works. I know it's supposed to be kinda like Simon Says, but sometimes I have to mash a button frantically for the minigame to actually start (once I sat there for about 2 minutes just mashing the same button to start it off). It really should have had the option to cancel the minigame (so you can restart it). Sometimes I press the displayed button and the minigame fails. Sometime I press the wrong button and actually succeed. I have no clue what's going on. @_@

The lock spins round and stops on a specific button, you press that button and it selects another button. When you've pressed a few it unlocks.

Sounds like something weird's going on

eXistor

Really liking it so far and for a one-man project this is some impressive stuff. Objectively speaking, I think the art is ugly as shit (the characters, oh Jesus the characters), but the backgrounds are okay. The combat is clearly where the game shines, it's very fluid and diverse. Exploring is fun even if the level design seems overly linear. The music's pretty good as well, but it serves as background music and isn't all too memorable by itself. Not hot on the voice acting, seems pretty amateurisch tbh.

Love the rpg elements, that kind of stuff really fleshes out the game.

Controls are tight, very fun to play so that's a big plus. Only just played an hour or so, but it's a very promising start.

sinseers

Thank the heavens. This game is like a breath of old-school fresh air. And I really love the large in-game text (TAKE NOTE OTHER DEVS OF THIS GEN!!! THIS IS WHAT IN-GAME TEXT IS SUPPOSED TO LOOK LIKE!!!)

sinseers

Yes, you'll have to start over. It was thought having a unique trial was best, since the normal game ramps up slowly. The trial admittedly doesn't show off a lot of the more RPG/Exploration stuff, but you get little hints.

The trial won't really ruin the story though, so try it out if you are on the fence.

Hello Noogy. Just wanted to chime in and give you a big pat on the back for such a fun looking game. this will be bought on friday.

sidenote - Could you hold a seminar for other devs and teach them how NICE, BIG and CLEAR in-game text is the way to go?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
This game is like a metroidvania crossed with Legend of Kay and a twist of Muramasa. Just got to the
caves under Aurora
I've really enjoyed this so far.

hwalker84

Noogy, just wanted to let you know I really appreciate the ridiculous work you put into this game. I haven't had this much fun playing a game in a long time. I will be spreading the word to everyone I can to buy and play this, because it really is amazing.

Awesome work!

I've been spreading the word also. Unfortunately its like pulling teeth trying to get any of my real life friends to by XBLA games. I just don't get it. They'll by $60 games and hate it but to spend $15 on something this amazing is out of the question. I don't get the logic.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I've been spreading the word also. Unfortunately its like pulling teeth trying to get any of my real life friends to by XBLA games. I just don't get it. They'll by $60 games and hate it but to spend $15 on something this amazing is out of the question. I don't get the logic.

I've found a lot of people have this nonsensical idea that downloadable games aren't 'real games'. As is typical with many, they have no urge or curiosity to try for themselves and learn.

aku:jiki

It's just the stupid old idea that "expensive = good, cheap = bad," as if that has actually ever held true for any product ever created.

I've found a lot of people have this nonsensical idea that downloadable games aren't 'real games'. As is typical with many, they have no urge or curiosity to try for themselves and learn.
Also this. I've even had magazine editors tell me that back when I was a reviewer and was trying to get page space for XBLA games like 5-6 years ago.

H3xum

This is the first game since Bastion I've wanted to buy on XBLA

You guys have done a good job so far

I do have one concern, though, which was spawned from a GB:QL actually.

Is it too easy to become overpowered? I don't want to lose the sense of combat as combos in particular seem like a good chunk of this game

Dabanton

It's utterly bizarre. Even on here i've seen people happy to buy the latest 'AAA' hypefest off the bat at full price on release day with no qualms.

But a game that costs as little as this they are hesitant.

S1kkZ

i need some help with an easter egg (spoilers)
a few hours ago, i saw a cage with a spelunky item right next to it. i want to go back and open the cage but i cant remember where it was. i am pretty sure it was in the caves but i cannot find it anymore.

i need some help with an easter egg (spoilers)
a few hours ago, i saw a cage with a spelunky item right next to it. i want to go back and open the cage but i cant remember where it was. i am pretty sure it was in the caves but i cannot find it anymore.

It's in Cirramon caves, yeah. You have to go down to where you originally got the sliding skill, past that red resonance gate at the bottom of Mudpot. There'll be a circle on your map so you'll know where you missed something.

Zeth

Just downloaded it, skipped demo :). Feel terrible for waiting so long, but I was pretty engrossed in Darksiders II. This game is fantastic so far. Deserves to be the best selling XBLA game this summer.

Edit: I'm playing Normal, I'm fairly unskilled at action/combo style games but I hope it's not a total cakewalk. For reference Normal is perfect for me in DS2. I can always restart on Tough after a few hours, wouldn't mind playing again a bit.

SHAZOOM

Noogy, you done good. Fantastic game. My only qualm is dialogue intermissions. For some reason I feel like the intermissions break the immersion of the game for me. Otherwise, everything is perfect, and the Dust Storm attack is such a novel idea. Been air juggling groups with ease. Currently playing on Tough and right after the first Giant/Giants area.

bumpkin

Noogy: You mentioned earlier in the thread that some of the most impressive pieces of the project that nobody will see were the tools you made. I'm just kind of curious what sort of tools you made/used. Think maybe if/when you do that postmortem, you'd consider capturing some video of the tools in use? It'd be neat to see "the man behind the curtain". Lord knows we rarely get that kind of glimpse from the big-time devs.

Admittedly I haven't gotten a chance to buy the game yet, but I'm definitely planning to; I have the MS points, just haven't turned on my Xbox since the weekend. I will do so soon, I swear! :)

SirKhalid

Man those bomb are annoying, I keep dying.

And crap I missed an achievement. Next time, I should have ask if there was any missable achievement. If I would have known I would have made another save or reload for the side-quest decision. At least, it pretty earlier in-game.

-GJ-

Just submitted my review, it will be online tonight. It's a little late because I was very busy this week, but oh well. Anyway, I rewarded the game with a 9/10. I hope you're happy with that, Dean :). I will email you a link to the review when it's online.

hwalker84

Just downloaded it, skipped demo :). Feel terrible for waiting so long, but I was pretty engrossed in Darksiders II. This game is fantastic so far. Deserves to be the best selling XBLA game this summer.

Edit: I'm playing Normal, I'm fairly unskilled at action/combo style games but I hope it's not a total cakewalk. For reference Normal is perfect for me in DS2. I can always restart on Tough after a few hours, wouldn't mind playing again a bit.

With a game this good a day wait does seem like to long LOL!

Congrats Noogy. Played the trial last night, I'm buying the full version tonight. Took me a minute to decide.

Beautiful. Game feels great. It'll be great to play and develop a deeper opinion.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Played about 3 1/2 - 4 hours last night, somewhere around 33% finished. Very nice game. Hoping to unlock some new moves though, but the combat system is still very nice. Bravo on giving the enemies animations that are as fluid as the main character, something other games haven't done as well.

And those Bunnies, man. Dose Bunnies. :lol

Wonko_C

You can get killed on Tough in 2-3 well placed hits, I'm liking the challenge but around the 50% mark, the game is starting to overwhelm me in the area with the four
mansions, it's something I will not want to go through again on Tough
. It's probably for the best if you stick with normal as to not ruin your enjoyment of the game like that area did to me.

(Will play on Hardcore on my next playthrough.)

Top Bottom