• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dustborn sees disastrous launch on Steam

nemiroff

Gold Member
These people are so fixated on chasing cultural unicorns they can't see the cliff ahead. "Wider audience..."...It's so absurd.

Last edited:

CGNoire

Ah yes, it makes sense now! On my previous post I did say he was just making shit up and someone is putting these requirements in the game but not from who.
But yeah I forget Norway has a big fund for game made locally.

"When it was first revealed, Dustborn was hit with some negative feedback from those who believe developers are being pressured into making their games more diverse.
Ragnar Tørnquist, creative director at developer Red Thread Games, insists that isn't the case"

So "technically" he's telling the truth, in that they are not being pressured but they are obligated by Norway's Ministry of Culture and Equality when receiving grants.
Can't be pressured when you actively want to do it for money. 💯

z0aOnxJ.png

The "Ministry of Culture"......Jesus Fucking Christ.

lifa-cobex

i have to be honest, i don't see it.

like the game is hot shit but I'm not gonna rip into it for having a kind of similar layout, those screen caps are doing an absolute shit job proving it's a one for one copy if that is true.
I didn't really see it at first. It was the more I studied. The more I couldn't un-see.

mUXtM47.jpeg
QYtiuRS.jpeg

It may well be an honest to god coincidence.
But I always tend to lean into the negative with these sorts of folk.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I didn't really see it at first. It was the more I studied. The more I couldn't un-see.

mUXtM47.jpeg
QYtiuRS.jpeg
it's a shameless ripoff sure, but these people are claiming stolen and things like 1 to 1 copy.

i don't think that's the hill to die on, call them lazy but accusing them of stealing probably isn't going to win the culture war fights these social media accounts think they are winning.

like most of these people have youtube channels where they just talk over other peoples content, it's basically the same theory, taking someone else's work and putting your own spin on it.

again it's lazy as hell and exactly what i expect from talentless hacks. But the stealing claim is just where i am gonna duck on this one

lifa-cobex

it's a shameless ripoff sure, but these people are claiming stolen and things like 1 to 1 copy.

i don't think that's the hill to die on, call them lazy but accusing them of stealing probably isn't going to win the culture war fights these social media accounts think they are winning.

like most of these people have youtube channels where they just talk over other peoples content, it's basically the same theory, taking someone else's work and putting your own spin on it.

again it's lazy as hell and exactly what i expect from talentless hacks. But the stealing claim is just where i am gonna duck on this one
I wouldn't really call it stealing either.
Probably more towards asset flipping.

Either way, to say the game was funded. That's pretty bloody lazy.

Aenima

i have to be honest, i don't see it.

like the game is hot shit but I'm not gonna rip into it for having a kind of similar layout, those screen caps are doing an absolute shit job proving it's a one for one copy if that is true.
The screen in that post are not the best example. I saw other screens comparing the apartments with the same angle and its an exact copy pasta of the GTA Online apartment. Just has the cartoon look filter on it and slightly diferent furniture/ decorations.

Last edited:

Comandr

This is such a fascinating scene. Now, mind you, I know literally nothing about what's going on other than what I can see.

There are two people in blue seemingly asking questions to the person in red. They're white. She's black. Fine. The text at the top seems to be... narration? Giving player direction? It refers to them as dogs. These people - they aren't even human, they're less than that. They're dogs. We are already framing the scene. The next text block at the top seems to prompt the player to... encourage the player to feel outrage for the white dogs merely describing someone as "black," thus instantly making them racists. But it's okay to label them as dogs.. because... they're.. cops I guess? Because all cops are bastards I suppose? Because we are just making blanket statements about a group of people?

The irony is.. palpable. How is this someone's GOTY? You'd have to be deranged.

Into the Dustbin it goes.
These people are so fixated on chasing cultural unicorns they can't see the cliff ahead. "Wider audience..."...It's so absurd.

You need to understand, some of these companies are ready to lose money for the narrative insertion. I don't want to say anything too outlandish, but I think it's a win win for the Demons out there... if companies with tons of valuable IP, suddenly go under... use your imagination. Otherwise, I have to come back tomorrow and clarify my take.. Lol. I'm buzzed. WIll probably pass out to Phantasm II, like I always do. I hope I can make it to the "Final Stand" at least, it's been months since, I've seen it.

Ozzie666

So many 'journalists' or 'youtube influencers' are discussing so many reasons why the game failed, somehow managing to avoid the design choices of the characters or forced agendas. Blaming Wukong, jam packed release window, on and on. No matter what side of the fence your on, you have to at least acknowledge it. It's amazing to watch how scared people are doing their reviews, to lose some viewers.
It's like Hogswarts all over again for different reasons.

Where are the mythical "modern audiences" that these people cater to? They didn't show up.
This is what I genuinely do not understand. You have entire studios filled with staff who do nothing but bang on about "modern audience" and buzzwords, but then no one buys or plays their games. Have they not realised they are literally shouting into the void? They are totally delusional it's unreal. My mind can't fathom it.

GymWolf

Gold Member
This is what I genuinely do not understand. You have entire studios filled with staff who do nothing but bang on about "modern audience" and buzzwords, but then no one buys or plays their games. Have they not realised they are literally shouting into the void? They are totally delusional it's unreal. My mind can't fathom it.
They get funds to put dei shit in their games, they just hope that normal people are gonna like the game anyway.

Deep down they know that modern audience doesn't exist when it comes to put the money where your activism is.

Bernardougf

Hogwarts Legacy is a ridiculously woke game full of this agenda. It is so in your face that it is not even subtle or subsersive. There is a straight up trans bar tender, who openly recounts their tales of oppression to any who will listen. Would this character have survived in small town England in the 19th century? They bent over backwards to appease the LGBTQ+ crowd, who ended up boycotting it anyway.
Its also funny that the trans keeps his male voice in a world were magic and transfiguration is openly avaible... at least just some pandering character.. the rest of the game is pretty normal

nkarafo

This is such a fascinating scene. Now, mind you, I know literally nothing about what's going on other than what I can see.

There are two people in blue seemingly asking questions to the person in red. They're white. She's black. Fine. The text at the top seems to be... narration? Giving player direction? It refers to them as dogs. These people - they aren't even human, they're less than that. They're dogs. We are already framing the scene. The next text block at the top seems to prompt the player to... encourage the player to feel outrage for the white dogs merely describing someone as "black," thus instantly making them racists. But it's okay to label them as dogs.. because... they're.. cops I guess? Because all cops are bastards I suppose? Because we are just making blanket statements about a group of people?

The irony is.. palpable. How is this someone's GOTY? You'd have to be deranged.
Is this scene supposed to be some sort of satire?

Also, the word black is racist now?

Duchess

Is there an animated gif yet for the "Press button to shout 'Racist'" clip
Are you serious? They actually put that in?!

Edit: Missed the screenshot and video before. Wow, that's really quite dumb. I can't believe this is made by the same devs who gave us Heavy Rain, Detroit: Becomes Human, and Fahrenheit.

Mind, there's an issue with that screenshot. The text at the bottom should read:

"Person who identifies as male: That other person you were with, the full light spectrum absorbing individual, they dress like a Rider. Do they know anything?"

^ that covers all the bases, I think?

Last edited:
Top Bottom