• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dustborn sees disastrous launch on Steam

CherryFalls

Banned
You just know somebody bought this because they had to support the DEI/White people bad cause and is currently forcing themselves to go through it trying desperately to convince themselves the game is good.

''y-y-yeah, thi-thi-this is actually fun'' ( repeat to self every 5 minutes )

Last edited:
Very+unkampfrtable_10881c_11877554.jpg

reektann

When it was first revealed, Dustborn was hit with some negative feedback from those who believe developers are being pressured into making their games more diverse.

Ragnar Tørnquist, creative director at developer Red Thread Games, insists that isn't the case.

"I think publishers and developers are just understanding more that there's a wider and more diverse audience out there," he says.

"Games are becoming more global, games are becoming more accessible to everyone.

All 34 of them.

Interfectum

Gold Member

When it was first revealed, Dustborn was hit with some negative feedback from those who believe developers are being pressured into making their games more diverse.

Ragnar Tørnquist, creative director at developer Red Thread Games, insists that isn't the case.

"I think publishers and developers are just understanding more that there's a wider and more diverse audience out there," he says.

"Games are becoming more global, games are becoming more accessible to everyone.
Games are global so let’s appeal to super niche ultra liberal LGBTQ+ crowd who has shown zero tendency to buy and support these games.

CSJ

All 34 of them.

It's insane, there isn't even any corpo speak to hide up that he's lying to himself and telling everyone else about it
Ragnar, from Prophet Without Honor and other games to this.

Imagine saying "Pubs and Devs understand there's a wider and more diverse audience out there" in the year of 2024 with all these fucking flops, after your game has less hours played than I've wanked off.
Also, if they're not being pressured...why are devs/pubs "understanding there's a wider and more diverse audience"? because they're pushing for something that doesn't exist.
Remember people, not all professionals in any industry are good at their job, it's full of principle peters and hires to fill a check box.

I just, I can't, Imagine being an educated person working in a high position in a company and going "yeah all of these games failed and lost a shit load of money let's do the same and chase non-existant customers".

Reaseru

All 34 of them.

It's so perfectly simple yet illusive to these types. "Why didn't the entertainment product that I've made for 1.5% of the global population sell? I don't understand, so the problem must be everyone else."
They're likely subsidized from non-profits who have no understanding of video games and the money tends to come with strings attached. It's why people raise their eyebrows whenever ESG gets involved.

Of course, that sugar high from the initial flow of cash quickly wears out and you know the rest of the story.

StereoVsn

Oh, I didn't know that.

Maybe I'll put it on wishlist to check out sometime in the future; probably once it goes DRM-free and on sale.

Dreamfall: Chapters was disappointing for me (and I was a backer), but the developers themselves were putting considerable effort to make it work. Surprisingly it was the story, the dialogue and the characters that kinda sucked, which was the one thing that no one anticipated.

Anyway, this also probably explains the heavy-on-left-politics that some reviews mention. It is what it is. They wanted to make this game, let's see how well it goes.
This is said because Longest Journey was excellent and even the sequel was pretty good.

And yeah, the third game basically was very very mid. Sigh… go woke, go broke indeed.

Is there an animated gif yet for the "Press button to shout 'Racist'" clip

That is gold right there. The Devs don't even know the unintentional meme magic they made there.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Games are global so let’s appeal to super niche ultra liberal LGBTQ+ crowd who has shown zero tendency to buy and support these games.

That's a super niche ultra liberal LGBTQ+crowd that only exists in small pockets in the US/Canada and Western/Northern Europe. That specific niche doesn't even exist in the rest of the world.

this! & it's only the existence of the internet that prevents people from grasping this simple fact...
Bingo.

People tend to navigate to places on the Internet where they can socialize with people of similar interests, much like in the real world. So people surround themselves with like minded people, which can eventually turn into an echo chamber, which then can make members of that echo chamber think their echo chamber is an accurate representation of the entire population. And it holds true for everyone, whether liberal, conservative, gay, straight, trans, white, black, Asian, Latino, etc.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you're designing a product (or running for office or really anything), you cannot rely on the Internet to give you an accurate read on the market.

Bingo.

People tend to navigate to places on the Internet where they can socialize with people of similar interests, much like in the real world. So people surround themselves with like minded people, which can eventually turn into an echo chamber, which then can make members of that echo chamber think their echo chamber is an accurate representation of the entire population. And it holds true for everyone, whether liberal, conservative, gay, straight, trans, white, black, Asian, Latino, etc.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you're designing a product (or running for office or really anything), you cannot rely on the Internet to give you an accurate read on the market.
none of us was ready for the internet (&, if you say you were, you're a liar). it's been a matter of back-peddling away, regaining perspective, & observing from the outside just how insidious a form of 'communication' it's very easily capable of being...

none of us was ready for the internet (&, if you say you were, you're a liar). it's been a matter of back-peddling away, regaining perspective, & observing from the outside just how insidious a form of 'communication' it's very easily capable of being...
Fair point, but the Internet has now existed for literal decades. That should be enough time for anyone to confirm what I'm saying is true.

Fair point, but the Internet has now existed for literal decades. That should be enough time for anyone to confirm what I'm saying is true.
not if you haven't managed to back away. & at least one+ generation of westerners have basically grown up inside it. which makes it much more of a challenge to find your way out of. just ask anyone who grew up within a cult...

one of my erroneous assumptions years back was that kids raised on the internet would eventually tire of it & see through all the bullshit much faster simply by being over-exposed to it to the point of saturation. but i was seriously wrong. it'd appear that they're actually more vulnerable to it, & on a very emotional level. when the internet morphed into the web, & literacy was replaced by videos, feelings came to override rationality as a basis of expression, & it's something that appeals very deeply to the juvenile in all of us. you never need to grow up on the internet...

Bridges

Thanks for the update on this indie game I’d never have heard of outside of this forum bringing it up to hate on it. Just ignore these people.
For what it's worth, this game is receiving prominent advertising on the Xbox dashboard. I had never heard of it either before this thread but when I booted up my console today it had a tile advertisement right next to the store button

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
For what it's worth, this game is receiving prominent advertising on the Xbox dashboard. I had never heard of it either because this thread but when I booted up my console today it had a tile advertisement right next to the store button
That’s your fault for using Xbox

(Jk)

While they secretly enjoy Hogwarts Legacy.
Hogwarts Legacy is a ridiculously woke game full of this agenda. It is so in your face that it is not even subtle or subsersive. There is a straight up trans bar tender, who openly recounts their tales of oppression to any who will listen. Would this character have survived in small town England in the 19th century? They bent over backwards to appease the LGBTQ+ crowd, who ended up boycotting it anyway.

CSJ

Wait, apparently part of the dev cost was funded through a EU grant. Money down the drain, lol.

Ah yes, it makes sense now! On my previous post I did say he was just making shit up and someone is putting these requirements in the game but not from who.
But yeah I forget Norway has a big fund for game made locally.

"When it was first revealed, Dustborn was hit with some negative feedback from those who believe developers are being pressured into making their games more diverse.
Ragnar Tørnquist, creative director at developer Red Thread Games, insists that isn't the case"

So "technically" he's telling the truth, in that they are not being pressured but they are obligated by Norway's Ministry of Culture and Equality when receiving grants.
Can't be pressured when you actively want to do it for money. 💯

z0aOnxJ.png

The Longest Journey from Ragnar Tornquist was such a great game! İ still love to replay it from time to time.
Dreamfall was ok, but I never tried Chapters.

But this... İ really doubt I'd like to try it from the looks of it.

P.S. Didn't know he also worked on Draugen. Tried it, but dropped for some reason.
You should finish Dreamfall Chapters. Ties the series up nicely with all the big questions answered.

Last edited:

Alan Wake

The Longest Journey from Ragnar Tornquist was such a great game! İ still love to replay it from time to time.
Dreamfall was ok, but I never tried Chapters.

But this... İ really doubt I'd like to try it from the looks of it.

P.S. Didn't know he also worked on Draugen. Tried it, but dropped for some reason.
It's quite sad, really. I loved Dreamfall and liked Dreamfall Chapters a lot. It had so much more potential if given the proper resources. But this... I won't touch it.

CherryFalls

Banned
Ah yes, it makes sense now! On my previous post I did say he was just making shit up and someone is putting these requirements in the game but not from who.
But yeah I forget Norway has a big fund for game made locally.

"When it was first revealed, Dustborn was hit with some negative feedback from those who believe developers are being pressured into making their games more diverse.
Ragnar Tørnquist, creative director at developer Red Thread Games, insists that isn't the case"

So "technically" he's telling the truth, in that they are not being pressured but they are obligated by Norway's Ministry of Culture and Equality when receiving grants.
Can't be pressured when you actively want to do it for money. 💯

z0aOnxJ.png

Well, there it is. It's always funny when people say you're a crazy conspiracy theorist for thinking these kinds of things are being funded & pushed., but here it is, in black and white.

Top Bottom