• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DVD of the year comes out next week...the Dark Knight returns!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

Jumpman said:
Yeah, I remember when Batman originaly aired, the two part episodes were sometimes separated by as much as a week. I always thought that was pretty stupid, and I'll certainly watch those back to back this time through.

My reason for wanting to watch them in order isn't because I think there is some kind of connecting story arc between episodes. I'm aware that the shows story bits were usually self contained to one episode. The reason I care so much about order, is that I want to see how the show evolved from the beginning, and how things were different when it ended.
Then the best order to watch the DVD is the order which the DVD has them since DVD is in production order so it's the best way to see the progress opf the series.

Almost 2 weeks and still no DVD.

*Cries in a corner*

explodet

Ninja Scooter said:
any possiblity of a Superman TAS DVD release?
I think there was mention on the forum before that they would release the Superman animated series, but don't ask for any direct quotes.

Penguin

Ninja Scooter said:
any possiblity of a Superman TAS DVD release?

Well, I believe there were talks of a Superman TAS DVD set to be released later this year. I do know that Last Son of Krypton is on DVD, and a few more episodes will come on single sets, but let me see if can find information about season sets.

Shinobi

Penguin said:
Yeah those are the airdates, but I think the production order, or the order the disc are on make more sense than the airdates, because look at the Cat and the Claw which is like 5 episodes apart and stuff.

That's what I mean...basically the order of the airdates doesn't mean squat when they don't make a lot of sense. I think the production order is more in tune to the true order of the series, and aside from the two parters that appears to be what the DVD set has stuck with.

Dujour

Banned
I just saw Heart of Ice again after what seems to be years. I also listened to the great commentary and noted that Fries' tear at the end was supposed to turn to ice or snow. I remember it happening, though. Did it turn to ice in Batman and Robin?

Willco

Hollywood Square
Serafitia said:
I just saw Heart of Ice again after what seems to be years. I also listened to the great commentary and noted that Fries' tear at the end was supposed to turn to ice or snow. I remember it happening, though. Did it turn to ice in Batman and Robin?

I think this just confirms you're crazy.

border

Is Mask of the Phantasm supposed to take place before the Animated Series? I mean, obviously the flashbacks do, but it seems a little weird that Batman doesn't immediately recognize the Joker in that photo of the mobsters, or run across Jack Napier's name when researching Salvatore's gang. The only decent explanation might be that he doesn't know who the Joker is at that point.

Penguin

border said:
Is Mask of the Phantasm supposed to take place before the Animated Series? I mean, obviously the flashbacks do, but it seems a little weird that Batman doesn't immediately recognize the Joker in that photo of the mobsters, or run across Jack Napier's name when researching Salvatore's gang. The only decent explanation might be that he doesn't know who the Joker is at that point.
But the Joker knows who Batman is.. and well Batman knows who the Joker is...

I mean he doesn't seem to be surprised just shocked when he sees who it is...

And well when Joker sees the Phantasm for the first time, he is like you aren't Batman or something like that...

And I think the assumption is, it can work either at the beginning or the end of the series if you want, remember they never really give Joker's origins in the series so it could of happened before, or after....

But Gordon is friendly with him in the movie so maybe afterwards

border

Well Gordon is friendly with him from the start of The Animated Series, so I'm not sure if that's much of an indicator, is it? I kind of like to imagine that it takes place before the rest of the series, because if Bruce was really tortured by this lost love it seems a little silly that it was never addressed in the some-odd 60 episodes.

"But the Joker knows who Batman is"

He knows that Batman is Bruce Wayne? Where was that indicated? It's all pretty mixed up since the Joker never really seems to have a proper introduction....like a lot of other elements. Is the Joker supposed to have killed his parents (as in the Batman films)?

The only thing I can pin down is that Batman (and everyone else) knows the Joker's identity as of Episode 28 ("Dreams in Darkness"), where the doctor at Arkham specifically refers to him as Jack Napier....

Joker knows batman, not Bruce Wayne but the bat himself. which is why he knew the phantasm wasn't batman's doing. Joker knows the Bat doesn't kill. Joker knew it all along the phantasm wasn't batman he just wanted to see it for himself.

Vgamer

I am loving this set! I just watched the Two Face 2 parter. WOW forgot how good it was. Cant wait to watch Heart of Ice I remember that one being good.

Penguin

border said:
Well Gordon is friendly with him from the start of The Animated Series, so I'm not sure if that's much of an indicator, is it? I kind of like to imagine that it takes place before the rest of the series, because if Bruce was really tortured by this lost love it seems a little silly that it was never addressed in the some-odd 60 episodes.

"But the Joker knows who Batman is"

He knows that Batman is Bruce Wayne? Where was that indicated? It's all pretty mixed up since the Joker never really seems to have a proper introduction....like a lot of other elements. Is the Joker supposed to have killed his parents (as in the Batman films)?

The only thing I can pin down is that Batman (and everyone else) knows the Joker's identity as of Episode 28 ("Dreams in Darkness"), where the doctor at Arkham specifically refers to him as Jack Napier....
Er I think you misunderstood what I meant, Joker knows who Batman is as in he knows who Batman is, not that Batman is Bruce Wayne. When he sees the Phantasm in the old guy's house, he is like it isn't Batman... and then he tells Arthur that the man offing everyone isn't Batman, because he/she isn't as cute.

Joker doesn't have an origin in the Animated Series, the closet you will get is in "Beware of the Creeper" where they explain about him being dropped into the pool of acid after a bout with Batman, he doesn't really have a real aliase.

Also, not that this is much confirmation since the show really doesn't follow any order, but the movie ends with the bat symbol being lite up, and Batman standing there, according to the show, Gordon doesn't get the Bat-signal until like episode 32 so it has to take place after that.

~Edit~
It only took a little more than two weeks, but I finally got my boxset, first thing I did was watch the featurettes and listen to the commentaries.All in all, pretty sweet stuff.

And of course, I stumbled upon great news for Batmaniacs..

Looks like Vol 2 will be out before year's end as well as Superma:TAS

Just follow the link

http://forums.toonzone.net/showthread.php?t=116969

Even though I have departed Termite Tower for the House of Mouse, I still get yanked back for the occasional special project. Just this week I did a bunch of new interviews and commentaries for the second BATMAN ANIMATED DVD set, due out later this year. Bruce Timm, Alan Burnett, Glen Murakami, the SUPERMAN directors and I will also appear on a SUPERMAN ANIMATED compilation released around that time, too. Bruce and Glen reveal the stylistic differences between the BATMAN and SUPERMAN series while Alan talks about the challenges of writing a fresh yet iconic version of the Man of Steel, and I shriek out the name “Mxyzptlk!” now and then just to be annoying.

Shinobi

Hell the fuck yeah. Just need Batman Beyond and Justice League sets to get rolling now.

I know what Border means when it comes to Bats not recognizing Napier right away. Wayne wouldn't have had much reason to store Jack's face into his memory bank the first time he saw him. Perhaps he didn't get a good look at him during their confrontation when he fell into the vat. Can't say that bothers me...I think there's been instances where he couldn't recognize other disguised people, such as Harley Quinn. Or maybe I'm just thinking of the Batman Vengence game...

Penguin

Shinobi said:
Hell the fuck yeah. Just need Batman Beyond and Justice League sets to get rolling now.

I know what Border means when it comes to Bats not recognizing Napier right away. Wayne wouldn't have had much reason to store Jack's face into his memory bank the first time he saw him. Perhaps he didn't get a good look at him during their confrontation when he fell into the vat. Can't say that bothers me...I think there's been instances where he couldn't recognize other disguised people, such as Harley Quinn. Or maybe I'm just thinking of the Batman Vengence game...

Well, first off very happy for boxsets, hopefully, it's here around Thanksgiving or something.

On the subject of MoTP, there is no real definate proof that it is before, after or during the initial run of the series. As it doesn't really have to follow any continuity.

I mean the thing with Batman not knowing who the Joker was, may or may not be true. But do you think he goes through every piece of evidence trying to blame the usual suspects? That and well don't think he really look over the picture since it queued a flashback sequence for him so he was maybe in la la land when he saw it.

But the Joker did recognize Batman, you can't tell if it's his first, second, 50th meeting with Batman, but he does know who he is.

Also like I mentioned it was established in TAS that the Bat-signal didn't come into play still like episode 32 or so, and that it was Gordon himself who provided it. So unless they dumped it out of the window, that would have to be after that episode.

woooooooooo i just finished watching disc 2 and moving on to disc 3.

I came close to crying like a little baby watching the Two Face episodes. Harvey's life was pretty tragic, i was moved more by that than Mr Freeze's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom