• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

cripterion

Game is great so far, loving having to jump all over the place to save my sorry ass and explore around for some loot.

Must be tons of fun with other people.

Mirror's Edge came out 8 damned years ago, people, god damn...

Barely anyone bought it and even fewer remember it.

Get over the game using alternate jumping buttons than that game. It makes no difference at all.

Mirror's Edge is last generations Beyond Good and Evil at this point.

From the streams I've seen it looks like aim sensitivity, acceleration, and maybe even deadzone is pretty bad on PS4. Looks like GTA V type aiming before they patched the controls on current gen. Is that actually the case?

You can adjust all those settings in the menu even deadzone.

My biggest issue with this game (which I am sure will be modded at some point) is the stupid durability. I mean sure you need durability in real life, but if you have a sword....its not going to be useless in the zombie Apocalypse after 20 head slices! Also each weapon can only be repaired a certain number of times before it is garbage. So if you find or make a sweet weapon...it will only last a certain number of hits before POOF. This was my biggest issue with Dead Island and continues to be with Dying Light. Hopefully this is modded or patched though cause otherwise it is quite a fun game.

Karak

Yeah thats the thing..I dont know what I want..I guess since I haven't purchased any PS4 games in a while maybe I should go with that system. Do both run at 1080p/60? Maybe its better to go with the console version that most people are getting, not sure what that is here

No. They don't run at 60fps

Jesus Christ night time is intense.
It is isn't it. Its like you see the sun setting and start getting nervous. Only other game that comes near it was the old master Dragons Dogma but I think this game beats it.

so being a hunter mode looks fucking fun, if you can actually get a game where the host does not quit the second you invade!

Reminds me of the first week of any Souls game. People get scared of invading players even though everyone is on the same playing field and just trying out the mechanic.

Don't be pussies people. Fight the invading zombie and play the game. don't quit out!

terrible

Banned
You can adjust all those settings in the menu even deadzone.

That's great news, thanks! I wish more games would do this. I hope it becomes standard eventually.

My biggest issue with this game (which I am sure will be modded at some point) is the stupid durability. I mean sure you need durability in real life, but if you have a sword....its not going to be useless in the zombie Apocalypse after 20 head slices! Also each weapon can only be repaired a certain number of times before it is garbage. So if you find or make a sweet weapon...it will only last a certain number of hits before POOF. This was my biggest issue with Dead Island and continues to be with Dying Light. Hopefully this is modded or patched though cause otherwise it is quite a fun game.

That's what made me quit Dead Island. It eventually got the point where I felt like I had to grind to get guns to sell so I could afford to repair and use my melee weapons.

Any good streams going right now without annoying streamers and half the screen filled with useless crap>
It would probably be less popular streamers cause the ones that have Subscribe $4.99 buttons probably have Twitch as their business model so all of that tacky subscriber notifications crap is guaranteed. The game has to look good with the bitrate they use. Which is why I go for the PC streamers. Then after that, you have to see if they're actually good at the game and if they're not annoying.

http://www.twitch.tv/hoppersc (30 viewers)
http://www.twitch.tv/malakithskadi (46 viewers)

Out of the Subscriber streamers that don't have annoying stuff:
http://www.twitch.tv/iamsp00n (278 viewers) seems like 60fps

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Reminds me of the first week of any Souls game. People get scared of invading players even though everyone is on the same playing field and just trying out the mechanic.

Don't be pussies people. Fight the invading zombie and play the game. don't quit out!
Seriously! This is one of the coolest aspects of the game and I hope it adds to replayability. Don't just quit out like a pansy! Stand your ground!
*is constantly slaughtered by Red Phantoms in Dark Souls 2*
OP used 'i's" in the title didn't he. Shit is distracting as fuck.
Yes, I don't like this.

aravuus

So, what's the death penalty? I assume you respawn back at the nearest safe house/checkpoint, but do you lose anything by dying?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Can zombies or those crazy fast things at night see your flashlight?

Also, is there any reason to hold onto valuables, or should I sell them all immediately?

Stanng243

Yeah thats the thing..I dont know what I want..I guess since I haven't purchased any PS4 games in a while maybe I should go with that system. Do both run at 1080p/60? Maybe its better to go with the console version that most people are getting, not sure what that is here

With that gamestop 20$ PS4 version, a lot of people got that version.

Got so excited reading the positive posts, i thought sod it, as soon as i get home will buy it on digital rather than wait a month... then found out that it's not actually out on PS4 till tomorrow, then felt like a total fool :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Got so excited reading the positive posts, i thought sod it, as soon as i get home will buy it on digital rather than wait a month... then found out that it's not actually out on PS4 till tomorrow, then felt like a total fool :(
Really? I thought it unlocked at midnight EST, like, last night?

Is this anything like Sunset overdrive?

Not really. I mean, it's open world.

But it's first person as opposed to third person. It has parkour as opposed to grinding. It focusses on melee as opposed to shooting...nah, I think the games are more different than they are similar.

Barzul

Not really. I mean, it's open world.

But it's first person as opposed to third person. It has parkour as opposed to grinding. It focusses on melee as opposed to shooting...nah, I think the games are more different than they are similar.

Ok I was more curious on how they compared on the ease of traversal front. I knew about the 1st vs 3rd person perspectives. I'll keep reading impressions and wait for reviews I guess.

Ok I was more curious on how they compared on the ease of traversal front. I knew about the 1st vs 3rd person perspectives. I'll keep reading impressions and wait for reviews I guess.

So far the traversal on this is really fun to me. You can really get a good line going if you get into a groove. It's exhilarating and fun. I find the whole gameplay loop pretty addictive. This is from only 2 hours playing, but I'm way impressed so far.

There are two reviews out, one is 94/100 and one is 8/10. So far I absolutely love the game. And it's way less janky than Dead Island.

Dead Island wasn't just jankiness. When you got to a certain level, some of the enemies would just be OP and just basically one hit you, but your gear could never keep up. Other little things here and there too.

But it is much better than Dead Island?

Dead Island wasn't just jankiness. When you got to a certain level, some of the enemies would just be OP and just basically one hit you, but your gear could never keep up. Other little things here and there too.

But it is much better than Dead Island?

Well I loved Dead Island more than most, despite its problems.

After playing this for a couple of hours it seems very solid. And it's fun. Kinda tough to compare to DI though, as it's quite different. The traversal is so much of this game, and I feel like it's done very well. The whole game is quite addictive. As to how it holds up 20+ hours in I have no idea, but so far I'm very, very impressed.

Phlebas

Banned

This bothers me the most.

If they can't patch this in some way I dont see myself getting this.

This was my problem with Dead Island as well. I was hoping that they would go with weapons being much more scarce but much more durable this time around. Weapons on every street corner that last five minutes each gets old fast.

Bastos

Will it run fine on my 7970?

Some games run like shit on ATi, think I'll buy a Geforce later this year to avoid this.

How does this game compare to Dead Rising 3?

Not comparable at all, other than the fact that you can craft weapons and kill zombies. Honestly, it really is like Mirror's Edge mixed with Dead Island.

The big difference is that it's open world, whereas Mirror's Edge was pretty linear in its traversal. I've played for two hours, and so far this game has my favorite traversal ever in an open world game.

eso76

Was rather confident this would turn out good tbh.
Watching a stream right now and i have to say the game looks pretty great, although environments look a bit too samey.

I apologize if it has been answered already but is there HUD options? Like toggle off mini map etc. Whether I ever buy this largely depends on it.

I apologize if it has been answered already but is there HUD options? Like toggle off mini map etc. Whether I ever buy this largely depends on it.

None that I could see on the console version anyway.

I'm the type that likes to turn off HUD stuff in games a lot of the time, but from what I played this seemed pretty clean and non-obstrusive.

Top Bottom