• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

Corpekata

Banned
That's the stuff you get for doing quests, right? Surprising, sounds like it's possible you'll never get all the survivor skills if you keep dying left and right

Yes. There are "random encounters" though that award that as well so it is likely you will have an option. Though I doubt it will be a huge concern either way, the points lost, at least early on, are pretty minimal.

pahamrick

They won't patch it, its part of the game, it would be less fun once you got the best weapon and used it 100% of the time. It also makes it less tense.
First night mission was nuts after all my weapons broke and I was scrounging looking for stuff to repair.

Most tense moment in a game in a long time.

Lord Phol

Lol AVG reported DyingLight.exe as a Virus, accidently hit the "Protect Me"-button so now I have to run the verify game cache x.x.

Game is in my head, gents. Unlocked coop, so I'll be trying to hook up with y'all later.

Making it back to the Safe House as the sun dropped below the horizon was pure adrenaline. Once the sun goes down, it's time to hunt some Eaters . . .

I love this game.

Daytime is fun exploration with occasional zombie killing, parkour and crafting. Explore, craft, hoard stuff, and prepare for the night. During night... oooh my. During the night all the nasty stuff comes out. Insane panicky survival with occasional stealth if you escape the hordes. The PC spec requirements have to be taken seriously though.

"Dead Island, but better, combined with Mirrors Edge" is a fairly nice way of describing this.

jesu

My biggest issue with this game (which I am sure will be modded at some point) is the stupid durability. I mean sure you need durability in real life, but if you have a sword....its not going to be useless in the zombie Apocalypse after 20 head slices! Also each weapon can only be repaired a certain number of times before it is garbage. So if you find or make a sweet weapon...it will only last a certain number of hits before POOF. This was my biggest issue with Dead Island and continues to be with Dying Light. Hopefully this is modded or patched though cause otherwise it is quite a fun game.

A large part of the fun for me in Dead Island was creating and upgrading new weapons.

Don't the zombies level up with you anyway and you have to keep making better weapons?

This game reminds me how much I enjoy first person games that aren't shooters. Sometimes shooters make me feel like I'm just burned out on the first person perspective, but then I play something like this and think "oh, this is actually more immersive due to being in first person".

Melee in first person is so cool when done correctly, and there aren't nearly enough first person open-world games. I dig it.

jond76

Banned
Finding that first crate after nightfall... Had 4 or 5 of the monster zeds on my ass, blindly running toward the orange dot. A prompt comes up "x to activate light trap". I hadn't set of any light traps prior to that so I had no idea what to expect.. Light cuts on, monsters start smoking. I turn and start swinging my shitty gas pipe. Knocked one into spikes, clubbed two other to death and kept running.

This game gets intense.

Kudos, Techland, I love your game!

It would probably be less popular streamers cause the ones that have Subscribe $4.99 buttons probably have Twitch as their business model so all of that tacky subscriber notifications crap is guaranteed. The game has to look good with the bitrate they use. Which is why I go for the PC streamers. Then after that, you have to see if they're actually good at the game and if they're not annoying.

http://www.twitch.tv/hoppersc (30 viewers)
http://www.twitch.tv/malakithskadi (46 viewers)

Out of the Subscriber streamers that don't have annoying stuff:
http://www.twitch.tv/iamsp00n (278 viewers) seems like 60fps

I will be streaming it too later and grim fandango. Would love some gaffers being cooping and also following me.

www.twitch.tv/mrshiznitgaming

Nokterian

Also guys..the music...80's synth wave music like your in a John Carpenter or George A Romero horror movie it sound beautiful!

pa22word

My biggest issue with this game (which I am sure will be modded at some point) is the stupid durability. I mean sure you need durability in real life, but if you have a sword....its not going to be useless in the zombie Apocalypse after 20 head slices! Also each weapon can only be repaired a certain number of times before it is garbage. So if you find or make a sweet weapon...it will only last a certain number of hits before POOF. This was my biggest issue with Dead Island and continues to be with Dying Light. Hopefully this is modded or patched though cause otherwise it is quite a fun game.

Then you really shouldn't have bought the game.

The durability acts as a balancing scale to keep you constantly changing weapons and trying new things, plus keeping you from getting too overpowered by stockpiling loads of uber weapons.

It's part of the game's mechanics, and the game is built around it. If you don't like it, buy another one of the 50,000 zombie games on the market.

Man I am sure getting sick of this entitlement some people tend to have about game mechanics, thinking everything has to be designed just for them and the way they want it or it is wrong. It's the same type of thinking that turned Dead Rising from an interesting spin on the Zombie genre with its own genuinely unique mechanics and rulesets to a super generic run of the mill grimdark action game "for the call of duty fans" with Dead Rising 3. It's kind of disgusting, and it's singlehandidly turned most of these AAA games getting released today into the same carbon copy experiences with no identity and a different coat of paint designed so everyone can enjoy them, no matter what!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Then you really shouldn't have bought the game.

The durability acts as a balancing scale to keep you constantly changing weapons and trying new things, plus keeping you from getting too overpowered by stockpiling loads of uber weapons.

It's part of the game's mechanics, and the game is built around it. If you don't like it, buy another one of the 50,000 zombie games on the market.

Man I am sure getting sick of this entitlement some people tend to have about game mechanics, thinking everything has to be designed just for them and the way they want it or it is wrong. It's the same type of thinking that turned Dead Rising from an interesting spin on the Zombie genre with its own genuinely unique mechanics and rulesets to a super generic run of the mill grimdark action game "for the call of duty fans" with Dead Rising 3.
Funny, I'm typically saying shit like the first sentence of your last paragraph, but I'm not even sure this remotely qualifies. arts&crafts is pretty much just saying that he or she doesn't find that element of the game compelling. Surely you understand that someone can enjoy a game without enjoying literally every facet of its design.

Xando

Played a few hours earlier today and i was pleasently suprised.

First of all i love the first person parkour system, especially as you progress and learn the system it makes so much fun.
I was kinda disappointed by the combat system at the start because you don't have many abilities and stamina gets rare pretty quick, especially with multiple enemies. As you unlock new skills like jumping on zombies or drop kicking them combat becomes a lot more fun. Game runs pretty good on my PS4 only had one fps slowdown yet. Also Night time is pretty intense. Really enjoying it so far.

pa22word

Funny, I'm typically saying shit like the first sentence of your last paragraph, but I'm not even sure this remotely qualifies. arts&crafts is pretty much just saying that he or she doesn't find that element of the game compelling. Surely you understand that someone can enjoy a game without enjoying literally every facet of its design.

Not really when it's a core mechanic that drives the combat and exploration system like it does in Dying Light, no.

I don't like micro-focused RTS games that much, but you won't see me going into a micro-heavy RTS thread and telling people the games would be so much better if they yanked out micro based mechanics because I find them tedious and boring.

Dubz

Loving the SP, but I need to play some co-op....If anyone wants to play send me a FR on PSN....PSN ID is Dubzinator.

Darker

Banned
Just how dangerous is the night time, players? That's what originally pulled me to this game - the night time switch up, and flashbacks to games like STALKER/State of Decay where getting caught in the wrong place at the wrong time can lead to ruin (avoiding emissions in the former, getting stuck in the woods without a gun in the latter).

Will be disappointed if they're weak sauce that you can survive quite easily. Will be happy if they're tough enough to force you to sneak/run to safety.

kingwingin

How do I play the zombie mode? I. Did the tutorial but there is nothing To do after, I see 3 diamonds on my map but when I get to them I just see the zombies and can't do anything.

Is it online only? I would like to level up a bit on my own

Not really when it's a core mechanic that drives the combat and exploration system like it does in Dying Light, no.

I don't like micro-focused RTS games that much, but you won't see me going into a micro-heavy RTS thread and telling people the games would be so much better if they yanked out micro based mechanics because I find them tedious and boring.

lol I think you are going a bit overboard here. By your example this isn't an fps-zombie-parkour action game its a item-loot&repair simulator. As I said I am a big fan of this game, 5 hours in, I just PERSONALLY think that things break to easily. I understand durability is part of the game, I don't want every item to be invincible. Just my opinion.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

You have an opportunity to convince me of your point of view here; how does the durability of weapons affect exploration?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
It has that sweet nuance 80's synthwave a bit softer and laidback but i do think it will amp up when something is going to happen didn't experience it yet.

I'm in. I like Techlands games (Cartel excepted) anyway but come payday it's mine :)

Just how dangerous is the night time, players? That's what originally pulled me to this game - the night time switch up, and flashbacks to games like STALKER/State of Decay where getting caught in the wrong place at the wrong time can lead to ruin (avoiding emissions in the former, getting stuck in the woods without a gun in the latter).

Will be disappointed if they're weak sauce that you can survive quite easily. Will be happy if they're tough enough to force you to sneak/run to safety.

You get your ass kicked of they catch you, but they double your agility to run about like a madman. Its insane.

Plus if you hold triangle it looks behind you and slows down time. Its great.

Top Bottom