• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

jond76

Banned
Just how dangerous is the night time, players? That's what originally pulled me to this game - the night time switch up, and flashbacks to games like STALKER/State of Decay where getting caught in the wrong place at the wrong time can lead to ruin (avoiding emissions in the former, getting stuck in the woods without a gun in the latter).

Will be disappointed if they're weak sauce that you can survive quite easily. Will be happy if they're tough enough to force you to sneak/run to safety.

A) you will need to sneak. The super zeds show vision cones on the mini map, so that helps.

B) they're are lots of places where of your flashlight is off, it's almost pitch black and you can't see anything.

C) there are safe houses littered around that you can race for when things get hairy. They will get hairy.

pa22word

You have an opportunity to convince me of your point of view here; how does the durability of weapons affect exploration?

Because you're constantly having to craft new weapons due to your current ones breaking, you explore the environment to find parts to craft said weapons to replace the ones that you are breaking in the course of combat.

Anyone looking to do coop on PS4 add me: PSN WheelHoss1

Just unlocked coop last night before bed. Ready to get down with some GAFers tonight and hunt some Eaters.

bbd23

that feel when you take damage from behind and you get spooked. I suck at the whole parkour thing but at least hitting zombies feels good.

Because you're constantly having to craft new weapons due to your current ones breaking, you explore the environment to find parts to craft said weapons to replace the ones that you are breaking in the course of combat.

Yep, plus new blueprints which work with multiple weapons and the ability to combine more than one weapon together.

I found the EXPcalibur after 3 hours. If I could have used that weapon for the remaining 30+ hours I would have been bored to tears.

This game is really fun, I get so caught up in exploration, looking for loot and cases... I'm really enjoying it... Add me on PS4 if you would like to go play coop... I'm gonna try it out tonight...

PSN ID: Filth_Flannigan

Also, is there a way to repair the Excalibur? I beat that thing to death... I found it, but have no idea where that gun is the guy has me looking for. Where is that gun? It shows me an area on the map, but it's just a rocky coastline...

Xando

Just how dangerous is the night time, players? That's what originally pulled me to this game - the night time switch up, and flashbacks to games like STALKER/State of Decay where getting caught in the wrong place at the wrong time can lead to ruin (avoiding emissions in the former, getting stuck in the woods without a gun in the latter).

Will be disappointed if they're weak sauce that you can survive quite easily. Will be happy if they're tough enough to force you to sneak/run to safety.

Night time is great. You'll have to sneak otherwise superzombies will fuck you up, always good to have the UV flash/flares ready aswell. It's completely dark in some places if you don't have your flash light on. You can always go to a safezone and sleep if you don't want to play night time.

d00d3n

A) you will need to sneak. The super zeds show vision cones on the mini map, so that helps.

B) they're are lots of places where of your flashlight is off, it's almost pitch black and you can't see anything.

C) there are safe houses littered around that you can race for when things get hairy. They will get hairy.

Does this still apply when you are invaded? I just harassed a two man team in the PC version (my only experience playing the game), and they did not appear to sneak around.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Need help with Mother's Day:
I went to the video store and where the chocolate is, but they both have red doors. When I use the door, I try the handle and it won't open. What am I supposed to do?

CoolZombie

Xbox Digital UK release will be On friday
PS4 Digital release Will be Tomorrow.

This is really annoying because the game is sitting on my XBone hard disk right now, there is literally no reason for Xbox owners to have to wait until Friday when the release date is tomorrow...

Xando

I went to the video store and where the chocolate is, but they both have red doors. When I use the door, I try the handle and it won't open. What am I supposed to do?

Had the same problem :)
The videostore has a door to picklock in the front and the chocolate store has a front entrance aswell.

tuna_love

Banned
Roller door at the front for chocolate and a door at the front can be lock picked for the video.

jond76

Banned

at the front side of the store there are two rolling shutter type doors. One is partially up. You can get in there.

That's the mission where I learned the hard way that I could be hit while lock picking. Haha. On the plus side, it was my first encounter with the biosuit zombies, which die hilariously if you puncture their tank.

nOoblet16

Wooo night time is terrifying, this shit's intense. But I am wondering if it is possible to just do every mission in day time instead ? Yea night time will give double the agility points but what if I don't want to play things in a tense manner and just play this as a zombie acolopyse mirror's edge instead of survival horror mirror's edge?

jond76

Banned
Wooo night time is terrifying, this shit's intense. But I am wondering if it is possible to just do every mission in day time instead ? Yea night time will give double the agility points but what if I don't want to play things in a tense manner and just play this as a zombie acolopyse mirror's edge instead of survival horror mirror's edge?

I think you can go to a safe house and sleep through the night.

Xando

Some missions require night time but most of the you can do everything in daytime.

KageMaru

Happy to see the PS4 version turned out ok, plan to pick it up after work. That Gamestop glitch isn't still in effect by any chance is it?

Any pro tips for beginning lockpicking?

It's the same as Fallout, so if you got good at that game's mechanics, this is a piece of cake. I've unlocked probably 10 medium chests and broken 1 pick I think.

The key is a soft right thumb. Just push that baby over a tiny bit, and if you get even the slightest resistance, back off. Then, once you think you have the sweet spot, KEEP IT LIGHT! You can brake the pick right before you think you're going to open. Trust me, it's worth the patience.

Flunkie

Banned
Hmm can I break arms and legs? That was one of the most fun things to do in Dead Island, whack a chick on the arm and she'd come after me with her arm flopping around all funny-like.

Also this game is way prettier than I was expecting.

Gamezone

Gold Member
What happens when you die in this game? Do you respawn like nothing happened, just like you did in Dead Island? It made me ignore the health completely.

Top Bottom