• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

PSYGN

Do any of the zombies chase you across maps or long distances? I don't know why but I enjoyed those powerful, yet slow moving zombies in some games that can track you down even when you're leading by miles, and having to plan a way to kill or find ammo to do it.

Do any of the zombies chase you across maps or long distances? I don't know why but I enjoyed those powerful, yet slow moving zombies in some games that can track you down even when you're leading by miles, and having to plan a way to kill or find ammo to do it.

If you make too much noise you'll get these runner types that chase you for a very long time unless you outrun them. They'll be marked on the map with a red triangle.

Found this out the hard way using an explosive throwing star to blow some of the bastards up.

Klyka

Banned

So far the volatiles aren't that hard to shake if you have the free running down.

Is this better than Dead Island? Or is it just more of the same thing?

Way way WAY better than Dead Island.

Is this better than Dead Island? Or is it just more of the same thing?

It's definitely not 'more of the same thing'. The mobility is vastly different from DI. You run fast, jump and climb everywhere, and the mission structure is different as a result. It's a better game in my opinion.

So far the volatiles aren't that hard to shake if you have the free running down.

Way way WAY better than Dead Island.

Good to hear! I really disliked Dead Island but this game looks much better.

It's definitely not 'more of the same thing'. The mobility is vastly different from DI. You run fast, jump and climb everywhere, and the mission structure is different as a result. It's a better game in my opinion.

Great news! :)

Just gonna say i expected a horrible game and so far this is probably the best game for me ive played since October or November. Ive been having a blast with it. Sure its nothing new per se but man is it fun and thw physics and the way zombies stumble and fall are awesome. Great game

Klyka

Banned
I hope there aren't too many forced chase sections at night (like the first one with the crate).

That first one is the introduction to night and the Volatiles.
I have played multiple hours after that in co-op with a friend and never once has the game put us into another forced chase.

Btw, the game has an AMAZING "vertigo" effect when you climb really high.
We climbed on one of those radio towers on a hill and someone watching my stream said "jesus christ that height". I couldn't agree more.

The sound design of the game is also on top level. Like, the sounds,the quality of them, the detail of them and the surround mix are all top notch.

I always thought this game looked good and didn't really get the hate pre-release - but even I'm a little surprised at all the positivity in here.

If most of the reviews are good I think I'm going to pick this up when it comes out in Australia on disc. It looks like it could be a a ton of fun.

I have played multiple hours after that in co-op with a friend and never once has the game put us into another forced chase.
How is co-op by the way?

I didn't notice much lag if any in Invasions, is co-op alright?

Are there any limitations on what you can complete versus solo mode?

Can you co-op with 4 players, or is that only for Invasions?

Btw, the game has an AMAZING "vertigo" effect when you climb really high.
We climbed on one of those radio towers on a hill and someone watching my stream said "jesus christ that height". I couldn't agree more.

The sound design of the game is also on top level. Like, the sounds,the quality of them, the detail of them and the surround mix are all top notch.

I thought the guys at night with the vision cones were called Nightmares and the Volatiles were the regular running zombies that come after noise during the day?

I'm sure I heard them mention Nightmares.

Klyka

Banned
I always thought this game looked good and didn't really get the hate pre-release - but even I'm a little surprised at all the positivity in here.

If most of the reviews are good I think I'm going to pick this up when it comes out in Australia on disc. It looks like it could be a a ton of fun.

The game is pretty sweet,especially in co-op with your friends.
It's also amazing in single player though!

It can also be pretty silly with some of it's game mechanics which I show in this video XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQBD4vXHzf4

I thought the guys at night with the vision cones were called Nightmares and the Volatiles were the regular running zombies that come after noise during the day?

I'm sure I heard them mention Nightmares.

Jade just meant "the nightmares come out at night" metaphorically. As in, the horrible monsters come out.

The normal sprinters are called "Runners" and the crazy night monsters are called "Volatiles".
Regular zombies are "Biters" and those big orange guys with the hammers are "Goons".
My friend and I just met another new type but I won't spoil it.

All in all there are about 8-9 different types me thinks.

pelican

Good news. Chase scenes like that get me a bit up tight:). I prefer avoidance;)

Has anyone on PS4 had issues with this game crashing in online coop? My friend and I keep getting booted to the Playstation menu with an error code after 1-2 minutes of being in each other's game. We have both tried hosting with the same results.

Well this all kinds of fun in VR, gorgeous looking too. Just taking the city in and watching sunlight shine through the trees is a treat. The feeling of openness is great, especially after having played mostly corridor or cockpit experiences on my DK2. Scale could be improved, as the zombies look a bit too small right now, but otherwise it's a really solid implementation, was surprised too that despite running and jumping all over the place I didn't get any motion sickness. Maybe that's cause I've got my VR legs, or maybe Techland really did research on what works and what doesn't in regards to player movement to mitigate the feeling. Excited to see what it's like at night (eek!).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Silly question perhaps, but can someone who got this through the $20 mixup confirm that all the multiplayer elements are intact?

The game is pretty sweet,especially in co-op with your friends.
It's also amazing in single player though!

It can also be pretty silly with some of it's game mechanics which I show in this video XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQBD4vXHzf4

Jade just meant "the nightmares come out at night" metaphorically. As in, the horrible monsters come out.

The normal sprinters are called "Runners" and the crazy night monsters are called "Volatiles".
Regular zombies are "Biters" and those big orange guys with the hammers are "Goons".
My friend and I just met another new type but I won't spoil it.

All in all there are about 8-9 different types me thinks.

Ahhhh. Gotcha.

I have to admit, I was extremely sceptical that this game would be any good.

1) I thought Dead Island was dull.
2) Review copies not being sent out early was a red flag

But after seeing lots of positive buzz I decided to take the plunge, and holy shit is this game great. It's a lot of fun. This will be my new obsession for the months to come

eshwaaz

This is great news. Quality sound design and mix are as important to me as graphics. Weak audio can completely ruin an otherwise great game for me.

Game is waiting for me at home. Can't wait to give it a shot.

As someone who really loved Dead Island, this game is...a big disappointment so far.

The beginning is very slow and boring, The graphics are very unimpressive for a PS4 game, once you enter the open world its low FOV and poor visilbilty.

The navigation sucks, WTF at the controls who uses R1 for jump. Its impossible to tell what jumps are possible and what arent, so its constant re-doing navigation.

Core combat seems ok despite stamina taking forever to recharge.

Big disappointment so far, Its like they limited the game to prior consoles (hence low quality graphics) so you get terrible quality graphics, its shocking coming from recent games like GTA V etc.

This is a budget feeling game IMO, wait until its cheap, This comes from someone who loved Dead Island.

Charging full price for this is laughable. I paid effectively $38 from best buy with GCU plus preorder bonus, and that feels like its way overpriced as it is.

As someone who really loved Dead Island, this game is...a big disappointment so far.

The beginning is very slow and boring, The graphics are very unimpressive for a PS4 game, once you enter the open world its low FOV and poor visilbilty.

The navigation sucks, WTF at the controls who uses R1 for jump. Its impossible to tell what jumps are possible and what arent, so its constant re-doing navigation.

Big disappointment so far, Its like they limited the game to prior consoles (hence low quality graphics) so you get terrible quality graphics, its shocking coming from recent games like GTA V etc.

This is a budget feeling game IMO, wait until its cheap, This comes from someone who loved Dead Island.

Charging full price for this is laughable.

Wtf is this? lol

Klyka

Banned
This is great news. Quality sound design and mix are as important to me as graphics. Weak audio can completely ruin an otherwise great game for me.

Game is waiting for me at home. Can't wait to give it a shot.

I play on 5.1 headphones and it works fantastic.

To give you an example on the little details:

You stand on the metal sheet roof of a slum building. There is an old,rusted satellite dish on top of it. The wind blowing is moving it ever so slightly back and forth.
You can actually HEAR the squeaking and the metal of the dish moving in the wind.
You can also hear the wind. And tons of other little things around you. It's GREAT.

There was a part in the game where I went into one of it's "mini dungeons" (yep those exist) and the place was filled with smoke so my guy was coughing the whole time. The coughing sounded just so damn realistic that I swear my throat actually got drier from just hearing it.

throwing a gask tank at an enemy and watching them explode it = the moment I knew this game was fun.

And then you laugh at the absurdity of a giant zombie with a piece of cement on a stick slamming it down on an oil puddle which IGNITES because of it and sets the thing aflame.

owlbeak

Enjoying the hell outta this game on PS4! Looks great, no framerate drops, and is FUN.

I like it much more than Dead Island. My buddy and I just unlocked coop so we're about to hop into that. :)

Charging full price for this is laughable.

This game runs way better than Dead Island. The graphics are way better, and the whole thing is way less janky. R1 to jump makes sense, because if you were to use 'x' to jump you'd have to take your hand off the right joystick, which is what you use to aim your jumps. It actually works pretty well- took me about 30 minutes to get used to it.

I loved Dead Island as well, but saying this game has terrible graphics I think is incorrect. How long have you played for so far?

I have to admit, I was extremely sceptical that this game would be any good.

1) I thought Dead Island was dull.
2) Review copies not being sent out early was a red flag

But after seeing lots of positive buzz I decided to take the plunge, and holy shit is this game great. It's a lot of fun. This will be my new obsession for the months to come

People overreacted to that big time.

Skyzard

Banned
^yeah it can be tough...remember to hold onto forward and your jump button when you try and catch a ledge.

<edit internet is being spotty, nvm>

This game runs way better than Dead Island. The graphics are way better, and the whole thing is way less janky. R1 to jump makes sense, because if you were to use 'x' to jump you'd have to take your hand off the right joystick, which is what you use to aim your jumps. It actually works pretty well- took me about 30 minutes to get used to it.

I loved Dead Island as well, but saying this game has terrible graphics I think is incorrect. How long have you played for so far?

Yeah game is better looking than Dead Island but that was a prior generation game, this is ps4/xbox one only. its embarrassing versus recent games, I mean GTA V came out and this...looks like its on a different console.

I cant believe how much I was looking forward to this.

its not a bad game, its just not worth $60 IMO versus other open world games (I think SR4 is better than this for example, and that was $50)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Charging full price for this is laughable. I paid effectively $38 from best buy with GCU plus preorder bonus, and that feels like its way overpriced as it is.
Dead Island interested me exactly 0%, looking forward to comparing notes :p
Oh my god this menu music is the shit. No I haven't gotten farther than that yet
word.

Top Bottom