• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

Corpekata

Banned
Seems like some quests have checkpoints seperate from the death ones, but you have to reload the game to use them. So if you don't want to run all the way back from a safe house, can be worth just reloading.

Uh, you need to destroy 5 nests. Like it shows in the counter above. It doesn't matter which 5 nests. Then you win.

Guess I need to pay more attention, could have sworn I smashed a nest and the counter didn't change; after that I assumed it was for hunter kills, not nests.

Time to turn invasions back on and have another go.

kevin1025

Banned
Just played the first hour on PS4, really, really liking this one. It is very much the successor to Dead Island, the whole time I was getting the vibe that it is the next step in what they wanted to achieve with that style of open world game. Since you're slightly underpowered in the beginning and learning all of the mechanics, a lot of the good stuff hasn't come into play yet, but what's there so far I'm really happy with. Looking forward to diving in more.

And it's surprising me how down some gaming sites are on the visuals. It's a very pretty game, some ways maybe not but I think it looks great.

This is funny to me cause it tells me you haven't played the game properly at all or not for a long time. You level up your agility and unlock all kinds of additional things.

You start climbing in smooth movements, you jump further and run longer, you do rolls to break from large falls, you wall run, you vault off of zombies, you jump at a wall kick yourself off turning around in midair and grab the ledge behind you, you can slide under objects.

You PARKOUR.

The game does the exact same stuff as Mirror's Edge + more in an actual open world and not a string of corridors on some rooftops.

Also for the people asking about sound and the "vertigo" effect, i made this video of me climbing a radio tower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jso8srWaWec

I'm four hours in, I don't know how much more I should have been reasonably expected to have played. And there's no proper way to play a game, I really hate when people say you aren't playing it the right way, whatever way I choose to play the game is the way it's meant to be played.

So has anyone experienced any bugs? I just reloaded my save and I've lost everything but I still have my quest progress. My skill trees are at zero and my inventory is empty. What.the.fuck.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm four hours in, I don't know how much more I should have been reasonably expected to have played.
Lots.
SW00002-720x405.jpg

I watched a bit of gamespot's in-progress. the last few upgrades in the bottom "Expert" just seem to make you make you all-around better in terms of all the parkour abilities. All the ones above the "gap" (the Novice and Adept ones) each seem to be an actual ability or movement/on-the-fly combat option.

Klyka

Banned
I'm four hours in, I don't know how much more I should have been reasonably expected to have played. And there's no proper way to play a game, I really hate when people say you aren't playing it the right way, whatever way I choose to play the game is the way it's meant to be played.

So has anyone experienced any bugs? I just reloaded my save and I've lost everything but I still have my quest progress. My skill trees are at zero and my inventory is empty. What.the.fuck.

by "played properly" i meant " the actual full game,properly, for a while, gaining experience and leveling up". I don't care HOW you play it, you can crouch through the entire game for all I care.
The fact remains that everything about parkour is in the game, the game does parkour the same if not better as Mirror's Edge.

vehn

The bass in this game is nuts, especially when fighting the big orange jumpsuit zombies. Going to have to manually turn my sub down or my apartment neighbors are sure to complain...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yes, but only by delving into the files.

You can google for it or find it on Reddit.
Interesting. On PS4 I imagine it hides a lot of aliasing and other little oddities. Would love to see what the game looked like without it. Definitely distracting me for the moment, lol.

Other than that, it's pretty gorgeous. I mean, the environments so far are themselves ugly, but, rendered well. XD

Sound design is fantastic. Well above average.

Definitely like what I've played so far. It's running reasonably well on my PC but that could just be coincidence. It's at least playable. I definitely like it better than Dead Island. I like the parkour so far, but not as rhythmic as Mirror's Edge. A bit more clunky. Let's just hope it doesn't drag on the more we play.

Klyka

Banned
Definitely like what I've played so far. It's running reasonably well on my PC but that could just be coincidence. It's at least playable. I definitely like it better than Dead Island. I like the parkour so far, but not as rhythmic as Mirror's Edge. A bit more clunky. Let's just hope it doesn't drag on the more we play.

It gets a lot more rhythmic once you level up a bit.
But also,don't forget that the world is not a straight line like in Mirror's Edge, so it can't be as meticulously put together.

Is... is this real?

B8ZU3YQCYAA7zoB.jpg

His name probably means more to marketing your game than IGN does at this point. This game is just an example of how times are changing in the industry. You're going to see companies targeting Youtubers for marketing over traditional gaming sites.

Erban1

It is odd because I know I had no issues with any other game not letting me play past the tutorial.
I also have good internet.

Oh well, still got Citizens of Earth to play.

What system are you playing on? On ps4 at least there was an initial download that would let you "start" the game, but you won't be able to progress into the open world section of the game until the download is completely done.

H1PSTER

Game still downloading/installing

On Twitter dying light are asking random people who have praised the game to use their tweets in an upcoming video

That is pretty awesome.

The crazy thing is... that comment will sell more copies of Dying Light than any quote from a prestigious reviewer would.

And this is great*, hate them or not YouTubers are generally the people who sell video games now-a-days.

*If he didn't get paid for it.

bedlamite

I'm so stuck... Trying to figure this out for the last 15 minutes, no clue what to do.

MPHOweq.jpg

Anyone care to give me a hint.

Just curious, has anyone managed to take out the big guy that comes through the door? I spent 2 minutes trying to dodge around him then I was like "fuck this" and ran

Teknoman

His name probably means more to marketing your game than IGN does at this point. This game is just an example of how times are changing in the industry. You're going to see companies targeting Youtubers for marketing over traditional gaming sites.

Didnt most streamers/youtubers get free codes this time around?

Man this game just bugged out HARD.

So I mentioned earlier I lost my progress, so I die and come back at a safe house and it's like "25 unspent skill points" so I go into the tree and it's enough to max out one tree completely. Then I go unlock a chest and inside is a ceremonial dagger that does 1047 damage, previously the best weapon I had did 200 but it took out stamina in one shot, so the best regular weapon I had was 50 damage. What the hell.

Klyka

Banned
Just curious, has anyone managed to take out the big guy that comes through the door? I spent 2 minutes trying to dodge around him then I was like "fuck this" and ran

Of course, you just kill him dead. he is even a weaker version of the ones you actually encounter outside in the city. Takes way less time to kill him than those.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Man this game just bugged out HARD.

So I mentioned earlier I lost my progress, so I die and come back at a safe house and it's like "25 unspent skill points" so I go into the tree and it's enough to max out one tree completely. Then I go unlock a chest and inside is a ceremonial dagger that does 1047 damage, previously the best weapon I had did 200 but it took out stamina in one shot, so the best regular weapon I had was 50 damage. What the hell.
whoa.

I have said this in countless other threads Tearing is my biggest pet peeve in gaming. I absolutely hate it.

I fully agree. Screen tearing needs to be a thing of the past. I can't believe games are still tearing on consoles. They should pair back the visuals a bit to get the framerate to be better instead of just letting it tear.

I climbed up on the roof of that building and threw 3-4 Ninja stars at him, and I shit you not. It killed the big guy! I LOLz hard then...

That weapon is awesome, takes no stamina and one shots everything, but it's much gorier than the pipes and bats, like straight up dismemberment every swing.

It's really game breaking though :/ I'm gonna refrain from using it until later in the story just because this game will no be challenging at all otherwise.

The bass in this game is nuts, especially when fighting the big orange jumpsuit zombies. Going to have to manually turn my sub down or my apartment neighbors are sure to complain...

Pressing the X button to use the survival instinct actually makes one of my dogs toys quack. Its amazing.

Edit: Put that in your bloody video, Dying Light twitter.

First person without the game to quote me and answer this wins a steam prize:

In Night of the Living Dead.... what does Barbara's brother keep telling her to scare here?

Corpekata

Banned

There's a fuel tank there. I picked it up and chucked it at him mid swing, and he slammed his hammer on it and blew himself up.

RawNuts

There are a bunch of explosives around the area, and you can pick up and move certain tanks as well. What I did was place an explosive canister in front of him, gave him a whack with the pipe and then ran away; he then slammed the ground with his weapon, blowing up the canister and himself. It was pretty satisfying.

Top Bottom