• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

Klyka

Banned
Am I the only one who finds the parkouring in this extremely unforgiving?

It's actually quite forgiving once you figure out the little tricks to it.
As long as you just keep holding jump and look at a ledge or a bit upwards, you are usually fine.

Am I the only one who finds the parkouring in this extremely unforgiving?

it ruins the game IMO. I had my doubts and playing the game...I hate it.

I had the same issue with mirrors edge, I dont get how people dont get motion sick from the camera rotations.

its a shame, the core combat feels like a big improvement from dead island.

TURBO1112

I asked earlier but didnt get definite answer. Is the main story coop? Like my friends and I can play together right away and all the way through the story?

jond76

Banned
Yeah game is better looking than Dead Island but that was a prior generation game, this is ps4/xbox one only. its embarrassing versus recent games, I mean GTA V came out and this...looks like its on a different console.

I cant believe how much I was looking forward to this.

its not a bad game, its just not worth $60 IMO versus other open world games (I think SR4 is better than this for example, and that was $50)

Sorry, I have to disagree. I think it looks great. There's a car that's on fire outside of the tower that I just stood there and stared at because it looked great.

The vendor in Rais's camp looks damn near real. Lots of things are making me just stop and stare.

I loved Dead Island too, and I think this is a fantastic follow up.

SDCowboy

it ruins the game IMO. I had my doubts and playing the game...I hate it.

I had the same issue with mirrors edge, I dont get how people dont get motion sick from the camera rotations.

its a shame, the core combat feels like a big improvement from dead island.

Yeah I never thought I'd play a parkour game that would make me miss Assasin's Creed controls. lol

I play on 5.1 headphones and it works fantastic.

To give you an example on the little details:

You stand on the metal sheet roof of a slum building. There is an old,rusted satellite dish on top of it. The wind blowing is moving it ever so slightly back and forth.
You can actually HEAR the squeaking and the metal of the dish moving in the wind.
You can also hear the wind. And tons of other little things around you. It's GREAT.

There was a part in the game where I went into one of it's "mini dungeons" (yep those exist) and the place was filled with smoke so my guy was coughing the whole time. The coughing sounded just so damn realistic that I swear my throat actually got drier from just hearing it.

And then you laugh at the absurdity of a giant zombie with a piece of cement on a stick slamming it down on an oil puddle which IGNITES because of it and sets the thing aflame.

I haven't used my headphones yet with but this post definitely makes me want to! Is there a sense of positional sound? I played a VR demo recently that uses this 3d audio that's just unbelievable and really makes it seem like sound is filling the space around you. I'm not expecting that specific implementation here, but some sort of positional audio would be great. Audio really can make a game world much more immersive.

Karak

This is great news. Quality sound design and mix are as important to me as graphics. Weak audio can completely ruin an otherwise great game for me.

Game is waiting for me at home. Can't wait to give it a shot.

We talked about this in great deal last night. I have been messing around with some audio testing equipment and I have to say its some of the best mixing I have ever heard in a video game. There are some issues, its not perfect but its a damn masterful work as a package.

I haven't used my headphones yet with but this post definitely makes me want to! Is there a sense of positional sound? I played a VR demo recently that uses this 3d audio that's just unbelievable and really makes it seem like sound is filling the space around you. I'm not expecting that specific implementation here, but some sort of positional audio would be great. Audio really can make a game world much more immersive.
The positional audio is fantastic and as I said last night, takes into account distance reverb and all kinds of echo calculations.

so yeah my first big disappointment of 2015

I really just dont like parkour. thats a personal thing, I dont blame them for going in a new direction but...yeah do not want.

the actual combat feels like a big improvement from dead island and is quite impressive.

so...if you dont like the idea of parkour, then dont get this game. its interesting but a step back IMO from dead island, and a mediocre looking PS4 game given other recent games (GTA V for example).

Saints row 4 actually surprised me in a positive way. this game...wait until its cheaper I think, unless you like parkour.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I asked earlier but didnt get definite answer. Is the main story coop? Like my friends and I can play together right away and all the way through the story?
Not right away, but pretty soon after. I think the tutorial is supposedly 30 mins.

if this controls more like mirror's edge than assassin's creed I will be quite ecstatic

Control options are interesting. Won't let me swap just L1 and R1 which seems like it'd be ideal to me, but I'll give the defaults a shot and see how it feels.

Barakov

Night can get pretty intense. The parkour zombies can be pretty tenacious about chasing you down. Thankfully, thus far, it can be pretty easy to lose them.

so yeah my first big disappointment of 2015

I really just dont like parkour. thats a personal thing, I dont blame them for going in a new direction but...yeah do not want.

the actual combat feels like a big improvement from dead island and is quite impressive.

so...if you dont like the idea of parkour, then dont get this game. its interesting but a step back IMO from dead island, and a mediocre looking PS4 game given other recent games (GTA V for example).

Saints row 4 actually surprised me in a positive way. this game...wait until its cheaper I think, unless you like parkour.

It's not really even parkour though, you climb stuff and you jump off stuff, if that's parkour then so is Mario.

This game has more in common with far cry than mirrors edge.

Can anyone explain how the survivors win the invasions? Is it only by repeatedly killing the hunter?

My random, matchmade group of three (with one afk asshole holing up in a safe zone...) got invaded three times back to back during a mission. I thought the goal was to destroy the nests, so I made a beeline for them while my teammate ignored them and ran off in random directions. Neither of us had any real luck killing the hunter, and half the time the hunter didn't show up when I did the survivor ping like the tooltip said it would. Needless to say, our awful teamwork and inability to defend each other resulted in two matches of 0 to 10 losses.

The final time, my partner stuck together with me more, and I managed to destroy all four nests. Instead of victory, four more spawned in before we got killed again for another 0 to 10 loss. Was pretty disheartening to think we won, only to get another defeat, immediately followed by a fourth invasion, again preventing us from turning in our co op mission. I quit multiplayer and turned off invasions after that.

What am I missing? Because as it stands, the invasions aren't fun in the slightest.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yes, it's the game

In that case, I'm offering a Steam key for this for $40, first come first serve. I paid $50 yesterday from Amazon, and I'd rather be playing on PC, but the $20 was too good to pass up. My itchy trigger finger is your ten bucks in savings.

PM me if interested.

Rilic

Neo Member
While playing earlier today, I came up against three zombies in hazmat suits with some sort of air tank on their backs. I took one of them down and my final hit must have hit the air tank because the air started to release out of the tank and the zombie started flying around like a balloon until the tank exploded and took out a couple of other zombies. The noise of the tank exploding attracted one of the faster and more aggressive zombies so I climbed on to a roof of a nearby building. The zombie proceed to chase me on to the roof where I then proceeded to beat the living hell out of it.

I am having a lot of fun with the game and that moment alone made me feel like the my $60 was well spent!

You have to make it through the tutorial, and then it unlocks co-op for the entirety of the campaign

After the tutorial you can
How long is the tutorial?

If my buddy joins my game for co-op, is he bringing over his own character from his game? And does anything carry over back to his game when we're done playing together? Basically I'm wondering how the game handles progression in co-op.

tuna_love

Banned

If my buddy joins my game for co-op, is he bringing over his own character from his game? And does anything carry over back to his game when we're done playing together? Basically I'm wondering how the game handles progression in co-op.
Tutorial is like 30 mins. You bring experience and items back. I'm pretty sure like in dead island quests completed count as well.

defiant04

Banned
For those who got the pre-order from game stop, was the weapons pack worth it?

Are those weapons outdated pretty soon after playing the game for a few hours?

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Night time completely changes the setting in this game. It makes you more cautious and more scared. Only thing that ruins it is the fucking enemy LOS in the radar

Klyka

Banned

everything in the game is co-op. literally everything.

heck, there are even "co-op competitions" that will randomly pop up,even for/during story missions. You can hold a button to enable them and your friends hold one to join. It then starts objectives like "kill the most zombies!" or "get to the target first!" or "clear the safe zone!" and people gain bonus XP from it and have little competitions. It's hella smart and fun.

nOoblet16

I have to say this is the most free form, limitless parkour system in a first person game...like ever ! Climbing the radio tower in an early mission will tell you why, you can practically grab any edge and make your way up, even if it looks like it's a ledge that's ungrabable.

Also the menu music, man I have to say this all the time. One of the best tittle tracks in recent memory.

Klyka

Banned

It's his character and everything he earns will come/go with him.

Quests will ONLY count for him if they are quests he himself has or sidequests he is picking up with you.

So, say I am on the third story mission and you are on the fifth.
if I join your game and I help you do the story mission and I go back to my game,I will still be on the third story mission. However if we both are on the fifth and I join you and we finish it together, then I will also be on the next story mission if I go back into my game.

nOoblet16

Also night time was terrifying at first and it still is in terms of atmosphere but avoiding the super zombies is a cake cause you can literally play the entire thing just by looking at the mini map and barely even look at anything else. Also, it takes quite a bit of hit to kill a zombie with a pipe, let alone a heavy one. Good thing the kick has no stamina penelty, I cleaned house (about 6 zombies) for a safehouse but then couldn't do it again for this other one because it had 3-4 zombies, one heavy guy and one of those radiation suit guys.

Klyka

Banned
It's not really even parkour though, you climb stuff and you jump off stuff, if that's parkour then so is Mario.

This is funny to me cause it tells me you haven't played the game properly at all or not for a long time. You level up your agility and unlock all kinds of additional things.

You start climbing in smooth movements, you jump further and run longer, you do rolls to break from large falls, you wall run, you vault off of zombies, you jump at a wall kick yourself off turning around in midair and grab the ledge behind you, you can slide under objects.

You PARKOUR.

The game does the exact same stuff as Mirror's Edge + more in an actual open world and not a string of corridors on some rooftops.

Also for the people asking about sound and the "vertigo" effect, i made this video of me climbing a radio tower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jso8srWaWec

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Ludicrous.... have you seen much video, even? It's pretty similar in terms of "flow" and environment usage to Mirror's Edge. You don't have that many abilities unlocked up front but I have already seen people go over the Agility unlocks in the skill tree, you get vaults, wall-runs, impact rolls, etc. It's parkour. It really looks similar to Mirror's Edge in motion. I don't know how much it controls similarly as I'm not in the open world yet to run around but will post more impressions.

ExiledMarkzmen

Neo Member
Can anyone explain how the survivors win the invasions? Is it only by repeatedly killing the hunter?

My random, matchmade group of three (with one afk asshole holing up in a safe zone...) got invaded three times back to back during a mission. I thought the goal was to destroy the nests, so I made a beeline for them while my teammate ignored them and ran off in random directions. Neither of us had any real luck killing the hunter, and half the time the hunter didn't show up when I did the survivor ping like the tooltip said it would. Needless to say, our awful teamwork and inability to defend each other resulted in two matches of 0 to 10 losses.

The final time, my partner stuck together with me more, and I managed to destroy all four nests. Instead of victory, four more spawned in before we got killed again for another 0 to 10 loss. Was pretty disheartening to think we won, only to get another defeat, immediately followed by a fourth invasion, again preventing us from turning in our co op mission. I quit multiplayer and turned off invasions after that.

What am I missing? Because as it stands, the invasions aren't fun in the slightest.

There are multiple areas with 4-5? nests. You have to destroy them in every area to win.

Karak

Also night time was terrifying at first and it still is in terms of atmosphere but avoiding the super zombies is a cake cause you can literally play the entire thing just by looking at the mini map and barely even look at anything else. Also, it takes quite a bit of hit to kill a zombie with a pipe, let alone a heavy one. Good thing the kick has no stamina penelty, I cleaned house (about 6 zombies) for a safehouse but then couldn't do it again for this other one because it had 3-4 zombies, one heavy guy and one of those radiation suit guys.

Though there is a couple balance issue I felt that they did a good job mixing zombie types thus making movement more important that just hammering away with a pipe. I am a hook and the kick fan which usually ends up spinning them around and the kick hits the back of their legs knocking them down. Works almost every time for a good 1-2.

Okay I never wanna be caught out at night time again..Fuck. That. Shit. 2intense4me.

jk But man was that something.
I was running from 3 baddies and got to the tower turned around and those fuckers were ALL in midair coming straight at me. Sheer terror scream escaped my lungs as I backpedaled and luckily got them to retreat but it was right out of a movie.

Klyka

Banned
Thanks. Guess teamwork, better weapons, and higher levels will be needed. Took forever to destroy just one nest by myself, can't imagine getting them all in multiple areas before dying 10 times.

Uh, you need to destroy 5 nests. Like it shows in the counter above. It doesn't matter which 5 nests. Then you win.

Though there is a couple balance issue I felt that they did a good job mixing zombie types thus making movement more important that just hammering away with a pipe. I am a hook and the kick fan which usually ends up spinning them around and the kick hits the back of their legs knocking them down. Works almost every time for a good 1-2.

I was running from 3 baddies and got to the tower turned around and those fuckers were ALL in midair coming straight at me. Sheer terror scream escaped my lungs as I backpedaled and luckily got them to retreat but it was right out of a movie.

Same thing happened to me. My buddy got lost and 1 of the fuckers chased me into the halls of the tower.

Teknoman

Sucks that there isnt a press to talk key or at least a self mute button for the PC version. My PC can be in a noisy environment at times, and although i'm using headphones, I dont want to be that noisy guy online.

Top Bottom