• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

Karak

Is the city fun to explore? Lots of loot?

Its a blast an honest blast I am a bit more technical in my reviews and previews concerning things like artistic value, than others probably, but the city feels lived in. Little things that other games don't have this does. Love it.

Do zombies eat popcorn with their fingers?

No, they eat the fingers separately.

I'm having a blast playing this game :)

I like a chick with brains. I admit I have laughed at a couple of them man.

Really fun but I had to take a break. Weird difficulty spike pretty early on where all of a sudden there's human enemies, tanks, and spiters all in one area I need to go to. Took a while to clean up and it wasn't exactly fun. Really makes you see how fast the weapons go when you're fighting things that take multiple weapons to kill.

Klyka

Banned
Most of the stuff you guys are seeing ist from the first area in the game, the slums, btw.

Once you get to Oldtown the game has a totally different vibe to it and the parkour becomes even more fun.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
Here is the thing - did you enjoy Dead Island for 10 hours or more? If yes, get this game.

It's seriously that simple. Four hours in one "day" - I actually woke up in the middle of the night and played two hours (meant to just finish the prologue).

The parkour is really just a lot of nice ledge grabbing. Very forgiving stuff especially if you actually make a point to focus your aim on the ledge you intend to clamber. You can squeeze between very narrow awning gaps to scale buildings. I've only unlocked the middle "core" Agility perk, but I already feel like I can just soar across buildings, ziplines, etc.

~5 hrs played = 14% completion. And I'm feeling like there's a LOT more to go - I have five things unlocked in each tier. There are probably 35 in each tree.

Just curious, has anyone managed to take out the big guy that comes through the door? I spent 2 minutes trying to dodge around him then I was like "fuck this" and ran

Yep. I climbed on one of the shacks near the propane tanks, and threw a firecracker near one of them. He got angry at the firecracker, swung at it with the hammer, hit the propane instead, and set off a chain reaction of all four tanks. The fire and smoke cleared, and he staggered a moment like a charred Elmer Fudd before toppling over dead.

In that moment I knew I didn't regret my purchase.

Is... is this real?

B8ZU3YQCYAA7zoB.jpg

XfaD4Kh.jpg

bedlamite

You can throw propane tanks to kill him or throw firecrackers on gas trails/puddles to do a ton of damage too.
Corpekata said:
There's a fuel tank there. I picked it up and chucked it at him mid swing, and he slammed his hammer on it and blew himself up.
RawNuts said:
There are a bunch of explosives around the area, and you can pick up and move certain tanks as well. What I did was place an explosive canister in front of him, gave him a whack with the pipe and then ran away; he then slammed the ground with his weapon, blowing up the canister and himself. It was pretty satisfying.
Yeah I did notice lots of propane tanks lying around but it was early on in the game and I had nothing to ignite the propane with. oh well.

Taking it down with 4 shuriken is pretty lolworthy, I guess this is a case of his bark being worse than his bite

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Well this all kinds of fun in VR, gorgeous looking too. Just taking the city in and watching sunlight shine through the trees is a treat. The feeling of openness is great, especially after having played mostly corridor or cockpit experiences on my DK2. Scale could be improved, as the zombies look a bit too small right now, but otherwise it's a really solid implementation, was surprised too that despite running and jumping all over the place I didn't get any motion sickness. Maybe that's cause I've got my VR legs, or maybe Techland really did research on what works and what doesn't in regards to player movement to mitigate the feeling. Excited to see what it's like at night (eek!).

Wait, this game has native DK2 support?

How have I never heard this? Ugggh why did I get it on PS4

I like it well enough so far, althought the zombies aren't much fun to fight. My fault really, though, considering I'm dead tired of zombie stuff. I want a survival game with this kind of atmosphere without zombies, dammit.

The movement is a ton of fun, though. The Mirror's Edge style of movement translates perfectly to open world exploration.

Didnt most streamers/youtubers get free codes this time around?

I'd definitely expect that to happen. The first time I heard about companies doing that was when EA was shipping out copies of Criterion's Most Wanted. And it wasn't even just going to streamers with hundreds of thousands or even millions of subscribers. I saw some for people that were just in the thousands.

ViciousDS

Banned
This game is truly what dead island should have been....repairing weapons easily while out running....everything is done just so much better. I truly don't know how I'm going to like dead island two.....because this is definitely an amazing zombie game. Framerate has been solid as well the entire last 4 hours running aeound. Been doing side quests but due to the Parkour running doesn't even bother me as I'm always just getting sidetracked by some of the views.

drotahorror

Here is the thing - did you enjoy Dead Island for 10 hours or more? If yes, get this game.

I didn't enjoy Dead Island for more than 10 minutes.

But I'm glad I impulse bought this. Really solid game, played for a ridiculous amount of time today that it's silly. I haven't put this many hours into a game on day 1 for quite some time.

Dartastic

This game is fuuuuuuun. Really digging it. Just passed the prologue, and it's definitely scratching my Mirror's Edge itch so far....

AsfaeksBR

I have to leave this thread because I'm still sad I lost the price error earlier today, I spent this month's "game money" on Driveclub (which is good, don't get me wrong) and next month's "game money" is set for The Order 1886.

But it's good to see people enjoying it, will definately pick it up in a later date!

Woo-Fu

Banned
Just curious, has anyone managed to take out the big guy that comes through the door? I spent 2 minutes trying to dodge around him then I was like "fuck this" and ran

1-hit with a molotov cocktail, aim right and you get the regular ones too. :)

sublimit

Banned
Today i watched a friend of mine playing it on his PC (at medium settings) and i must say that i liked it.The parkour even if it was somewhat clunky added an extra level of depth to the exploration and the city really felt alive and rich with detail.

I think i'll get the PS4 version at some point.

ViciousDS

Banned
Also....options>game>music turn that all the way down while wandering around and listen to some of the ambient noise.....its pretty fucking good. Although the music has been really good as well.

FrsDvl

Bummer I don't have ps+ this game would've greatly benefited of it. Co op in dead Island was a lot of fun.

Can't wait to play some more later, I'm on the mothers day mission, couldn't figure out how to get into the two buildings that I'm supposed to enter. I'm sure I'll figure it out tonight.

A lot of fun so far though, great game to fill the void.

This game is truly what dead island should have been....repairing weapons easily while out running....everything is done just so much better. I truly don't know how I'm going to like dead island two.....because this is definitely an amazing zombie game. Framerate has been solid as well the entire last 4 hours running aeound. Been doing side quests but due to the Parkour running doesn't even bother me as I'm always just getting sidetracked by some of the views.

Its less RPG-like, which to me is a negative but will mean it will appeal to a wider audience

So no character/class choice, less visible focus on stats, more action oriented focus, more realistic combat effect/physics

Not a good looking PS4 game but runs solid without tearing

Personally I prefer the original DI but I expect to be in the minority. Disappointed so far but it sounds like it gets better once you leave the first map, so will keep going

Top Bottom