• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

ViciousDS

Banned
Its less RPG-like, which to me is a negative but will mean it will appeal to a wider audience

So no character/class choice, less visible focus on stats, more action oriented focus, more realistic

Not a good looking PS4 game but runs solid without tearing

Personally I prefer the original DI but I expect to be in the minority. Disappointed so far but it sounds like it gets better once you leave the first map, so will keep going

Weapon durability and how weapons were handled in DI were what turned me off of the game. Hated the way the benches and stuff were done.

played through the prologue. bunch of friends from work were grabbing this so i did as well

so far, so good.. game looks a little rough but enjoying it so far

Its less RPG-like, which to me is a negative but will mean it will appeal to a wider audience

So no character/class choice, less visible focus on stats, more action oriented focus, more realistic combat effect/physics

Not a good looking PS4 game but runs solid without tearing

Personally I prefer the original DI but I expect to be in the minority. Disappointed so far but it sounds like it gets better once you leave the first map, so will keep going

Weapon durability and how weapons were handled in DI were what turned me off of the game. Hated the way the benches and stuff were done.

Yeah I think the game benefits from easier upgrades, very smart design decision there with resources for instant repair

Grisby

Just played up until the point where you get sidequests. Chris Redfield just can't catch a break, can he?

I feel like this is gonna be something to remember. I just really like the parkour and the emphasis on day and night. I think the graphics are decent too. Playing on the ps4 and I like all of the wind effects.

Couple of questions so far:
1) So, I picked a couple of wrenches and it said I had a weapon upgrade. So...I guess the upgrade looks like a wrench? But I can use the wrench as a weapon? Also, on the subject of weapons I take it the color means rarity?

2) Does playing co-op advance your single player campaign? Or can I jump into a PUG group, get some xp, and jump back to where I was in my own deal?
Here is the thing - did you enjoy Dead Island for 10 hours or more? If yes, get this game.

It's seriously that simple.
I dont think it is. The first dead island didnt really grab me at all.

The movement here feels a lot tighter and the parkour makes a world of difference. Also, there feels like some thought that's put into the characters.

Ricker

Is the special box of chocolate for Gazi glitched or am I missing something here...the door wont open and I see no other way to get in there...oh well time to get back on the story quest then...

Corpekata

Banned
Upgrades look like 2 gears. Not sure the console key but you select a weapon and hit f6 and you can apply them on PC. They apply things like increased durability, damage, and handling that I've seen so far.

Is the special box of chocolate for Gazi glitched or am I missing something here...the door wont open and I see no other way to get in there...oh well time to get back on the story quest then...

There's a shutter you have to lift open on the building. Use survivor sense to get an idea of its' location, it'll highlight interactive areas.

Roussow

So for those who haven't heard. A great deal of Australians, Europeans, and New Zealanders digital pre-orders for Dying Light won't activate, there hasn't been a proper statement from Sony or Techland, but basically Sony support have said to most of us that they're aware of the issue, and we should wait 24 hours before contacting them again.

Check out this thread where people have been sharing issues and trying to find solutions;
http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PS4-Games/DYING-LIGHT-PRE-LOAD/td-p/22929736/page/83

It would be great if we could actually get a proper response / compensation from Sony.

I've played three hours of the campaign on the PS4 and Im having a lot of fun. Its a lot better than Dead Island. Im so glad I picked this up from GameStop lol

Teknoman

Can we get a google spreadsheet Steam/PSN/XBL friends list going? I'm, thinking about leaving mine on public, but hopefully that wont throw off the atmosphere.

Also I second "Dat title theme". Really does feel like the intro to an 80s/90s horror movie.

I have 6 dockets from preordering. Should I cash them all in now and see what I get, or save some for later in the game?

I cashed one in and got a blue pipe that seems decent.

Corpekata

Banned
I have 6 dockets from preordering. Should I cash them all in now and see what I get, or save some for later in the game?

I cashed one in and got a blue pipe that seems decent.

They scale with your level. I'd say do it every few levels to get a good piece of gear, but not all at once, you'll outlevel them fast.

Though there is some sanity to be gained by spending them early because the game will stop reminding you to spend them all the time.

micah

If you're referring to the return portion with the gifts for gazi I believe it told you to go to the roof. Use the pipes above.

Teknoman

Dont understand why they embergo the reviews. Seem like they have good feedbacks so far.

Was no embargo. They didnt send out review copies apparently.

If no one else is going to make a GAF community group, I'll set one up so people know who to add.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Had a friend over so I'm still not out of the tutorial. I have some thoughts on that in the first place, but I already can't wait to just get all of the parkour stuff unlocked and have an open world to play with it in. Just the way you can open doors while sprinting alone felt very familiar:
LTyIqKl.gif

I always wished Mirror's Edge had some sort of open world approach that let you improvise and use the world to your advantage, rather than and this seems really to play into that... with zombies. If it manages to even approximate that I'll be pretty satisfied. Cannot wait to get out of this exceedingly boring tutorial though.

I'm enjoying this. Traversal system is better than mirrors edge. a cool moment I had and collectible location:
When I was on the crane in the beginning I looked up and thought to myself, 'I can get up there' and I did, without the game telling me I could climb on that sort of stuff. And at the top of the crane there was a collectible!

FLAguy954

The bass in this game is nuts, especially when fighting the big orange jumpsuit zombies. Going to have to manually turn my sub down or my apartment neighbors are sure to complain...

Agreed, just the ambient noises in the tower in the beginning were rumbling my towers.

CDV13

Ok so I got a flag from the top of the massive tower safe zone area....anyone know where to view these or know if there is a counter for them? I looked at collectible but couldn't find it...

Edit: I am King idiot.....they are at the top right of the collectible screen.....

kingwingin

I'm unclear on how story progress saves works for co-op.

Has anyone figured that out?
coop saves your mission only if it's the mission you are on. So if you are on mission 4 and join a game on mission 6 it won't save. But if you join a coop game on mission 4 and beat 4, 5, 6 it will save up to 6

Played my first match as a zombie and has a blast! So much fun hunting people down

realcZk

this game is a lot of fun so far!

i really dont understand filmgrain though and why its in so many games, please give the option to disable it eventually, i know i can edit the .pak file and blah blah blah but cmon.

Jeramii

Banned
coop saves your mission only if it's the mission you are on. So if you are on mission 4 and join a game on mission 6 it won't save. But if you join a coop game on mission 4 and beat 4, 5, 6 it will save up to 6

Played my first match as a zombie and has a blast! So much fun hunting people down

Awesome, thank you.

I assume it also means that if you are on 6 and join someone on four, once they catch up with you, you'll start progressing automatically?

GHG

Gold Member
I was apprehensive about getting this on the PS4, even with the gamestop deal but glad I did. Runs well so far and looks surprisingly good visually. I normally get all multiplats on the PC (with the exception of PES 2015 this year) but seeing the issues people are having getting the PC version running smoothly I'm quite glad I did.

BDrummer1606

Neo Member
Holy crap, just got done playing the first night mission, that was intense!

Also does anyone know how to get the weapons that you download from the GameStop code? I have it all downloaded just don't know if it's a specific point in the game or if I have to do something special

Grisby

But all the xp, weapons find saves right?

Horohoro

Had a friend over so I'm still not out of the tutorial. I have some thoughts on that in the first place, but I already can't wait to just get all of the parkour stuff unlocked and have an open world to play with it in. Just the way you can open doors while sprinting alone felt very familiar:
LTyIqKl.gif

I always wished Mirror's Edge had some sort of open world approach that let you improvise and use the world to your advantage, rather than and this seems really to play into that... with zombies. If it manages to even approximate that I'll be pretty satisfied. Cannot wait to get out of this exceedingly boring tutorial though.

You and me both brother. I love Mirror's Edge here is hoping 2 is open world it was the most requested feature in a poll by EA for the sequel.

Just put in more time with it. Finished the prologue, The free running is great IMO. I can really plan out a route, then hit it. So far I like all the changes & the story has a premise worth following so far. The game has made a great 1st impression with me. Idk how the official Dead Island 2 is going to be better than this.

I keep getting CE-34878-0 within 10 minutes of coop play. I've tried almost everything. I can't play and I'm not sure what to do.

Was it CE-34878-0?

yeah that was it
then i did a sequence of successful himan vs hunter matches without error.

every time i join coop, it turns into a hunter invaded thing.

THEF3AR

Finally was able to play today.

Wow, what a treat. This game has been hitting all sorts of notes for me. I think this game is personally one of my favorite of this generation.

It's intense too!
I got to the part where you turn the power switch outside on at the substation and when that orange jumpsuit zombie comes tearing through that garage door... Fuck man that had my heart racing. It's getting dark. Big zombie wants to kill me, but I still gotta get the power going.

This game will make sure you have a pulse.

Top Bottom