• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Been playing for 5 hours. My early impressions is that this game is way better than Dead Island and that's coming from someone who liked DI. But there are some flaws:

-Every bald zombie looks the same, at least in DI there were multiple types of zombies.
-Melee combat against living enemies is horrible and slow

Also anyone knows how long the game is supposed to be. I'm 5 hours in and only 22% of the story complete.

Like I said earlier, I don't know how worthwhile it is to play around with Invasion mode just yet. People haven't seem to have gotten quite the hang of playing well as the zombie yet. This wasn't even the first or the last match where they couldn't score any kills. I'm actually surprised I've only had one zombie quit the game before it ended. I would get frustrated dealing with that respawn time. Survivors can kill the zombie in just 3 hits, much less than the amount it takes to kill a standard zombie.

I haven't tried it myself, but the first game I played was actually the most difficult to survive as the human, because the guy who was playing the zombie could spit the goo at me that alerts a horde of standard zombies. I haven't had that happen since. Do people not realize they have this ability, or do they have to unlock it through progression or something?

Also, the frequency setting for Invasions doesn't seem to matter so long as you make it public. They just keep placing you in back to back invasions until you set it to Friends Only again.

It's games like these that makes me wish games would come out on Friday in the US. I hate the amount of time I'm going to be spending not playing this game until this weekend.

They scale with your level. I'd say do it every few levels to get a good piece of gear, but not all at once, you'll outlevel them fast.

Though there is some sanity to be gained by spending them early because the game will stop reminding you to spend them all the time.
Thanks, I'll try to space them out. You're right though, the constant reminders are really annoying.

I keep getting CE-34878-0 within 10 minutes of coop play. I've tried almost everything. I can't play and I'm not sure what to do.

Was it CE-34878-0?

My friend and I have been getting this error all night. It doesn't matter which one of us hosts, and changing the online settings does absolutely nothing. One of us will always crash within 10 minutes of playing in co-op. It's extremely annoying as we purchased this game to play with each other, not solo.

Dajanksta

Banned
Only played a bit, not really feeling it yet? Is the whole game pretty much running from place to place?

Lol. Loot, leveling up, upgrading, story, capturing things, fighting zombies, fighting people, co op fun, if "running around" isn't your thing then I wouldn't recommend any open world games at all to you lol.

Dajanksta

Banned
Sorry if this has been discussed, console version performance, how do they rate?
So far so good. The graphics done seem as good to me as everyone said but it's not bad. Very good graphics. The only time I noticed a frame rate drop was once in about 4-5 hours of play so far. It was on a mission when it gets super hectic at night. But it fixed soon as I needed it to thankfully. Having a blast.

antitrop

I played for a few hours and got up to about 10% story completion. Had quite a bit of fun, surprisingly. I abhorred Dead Island, so this is obviously a remarkably superior game, I can tell right off the bat. The movement mechanics feel nice, the animation is solid, and the melee combat gives Condemned a run for its money.

Unfortunately, and as expected, the story/characterization is just... I'm not sure why they try. The opening is a laughable info dump as you try to sift through all the bullshit the lady is spewing at you, trying to figure out a coherent mission objective.

But, yeah, I'll stick with it. Far Cry with Zombies seems to be a pretty apt description, and I just finished Far Cry 4 up last week, enjoying it quite a great deal. I'm not sure it will hold my attention for quite as long, though, I do see this one becoming boring and repetitive fairly quickly.

Much like Dead Island, it already seems to be shaping up into a never-ending collection of fetch quests for shitty characters.

Also, the graphics/performance on PS4 are shit. Framerate problems, aliasing everywhere, and chromatic aberration on top of it. Texture pop-in like a mother and the character models are straight out of 360/PS3 gen.

for people who have played a decent amount, how much variety is there to the missions, do they mix it up uniquely at all? people are comparing it to Far Cry 4, so does the game have trippy missions like the Shangri-la or hallucination missions?

for people who have played a decent amount, how much variety is there to the missions, do they mix it up uniquely at all? people are comparing it to Far Cry 4, so does the game have trippy missions like the Shangri-la or hallucination missions?
People are comparing the mission structure to Far Cry 4? I'm not entirely sure that's a fair comparison. Seems like a bunch of fetch quests so far. I could be wrong though.

antitrop

People are comparing the mission structure to Far Cry 4? I'm not entirely sure that's a fair comparison. Seems like a bunch of fetch quests so far. I could be wrong though.

Ya, no, it compares to Far Cry 4 in that there's a strong focus on traversal mechanics and you run around capturing safe zones like radio towers and outposts.

All of the missions in Dying Light that I've played so far have been generic fetch quests, nothing like Far Cry 4's missions (which weren't anything special, either, outside of those hallucination ones).

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I've only been able to invade one group but I managed to win with one hive left. Pretty damn fun and intense, although I find the respawn time for the hunter to be a bit on the long side, but the speed at which they can travel around makes up for it.

I played for a few hours and got up to about 10% story completion. Had quite a bit of fun, surprisingly. I abhorred Dead Island, so this is obviously a remarkably superior game, I can tell right off the bat. The movement mechanics feel nice, the animation is solid, and the melee combat gives Condemned a run for its money.
Mother of God are you serious? I still play condemned for the satisfying feedback. Would make this jump much higher on my list.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Been "out in the world" for a bit now, it's definitely good in terms of just being a parkour game in an open world. If that appeals to you, you're probably good. It feels really different in that your abilities are slowly unlocked, but the core is there. So even without the zombie stuff that's pretty good. Nothing like the old zombie vault to get airborne either, lol.
Yeah, it's pretty fucking good. I'd imagine it hard for someone to find disappointment in the combat feedback of this one.
I need to level up that aspect I guess. I haven't been fighting much, still feels very weak to attack basic zombies.

Corpekata

Banned
For people that didn't see where to see the notes and collectibles like me, go to your inventory tab and in the bottom right will be the command for them. F on PC.

This is a really insignificant thing, but can you slide along car roofs? Watching the GB QuickLook, there were a few occasions where it would have been useful (and awesome)

Okay this game hits a whole new level in co op. Been playing with my friends all night and its Sweeeeet. Trust me if you get a friend or two to join you it elevates the game a bunch.

Horp

Having a blast playing this coop with my friend. Keep laughing at how crazy violent it looks when he is kicking and striking enemies, especially those lying down.

jfoul

I've played the game for about 6 hours and I'm having a lot of fun. The melee combat in this game really opens up when you start gaining some levels. Facing off against human AI that dodges, ducks and blocks is really cool.

Holy shit, this game tense at night.

Phionoxx

About to start the prologue. Thoughts on disabling the "auto aim melee weapons" option? Would like to be able to target specific limbs or areas. Does that mean turn off the auto aim?

Upgraded my Knife with the champion and bleeding upgrade and man is it badass. Since there is no block (Upgrade?) that I know of it hits fast and swift which gives me enough time to back off especially against humans

Having a blast playing this coop with my friend. Keep laughing at how crazy violent it looks when he is kicking and striking enemies, especially those lying down.

Haha so true. The first time I saw my buddy jump on a zombie and stab them repeatedly on the ground I was like good lord this is violent

Top Bottom