• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

tmespe

Not loving the parkour after a few hours, it just doesn't feel smooth in the same way that it does in Mirrors Edge or Assassin's Creed. Everything you do seems to have a pause before you're back to moving. Still early on I presume though, so we shall see if that aspect improves.

From what I've seen and read that will improve greatly after you get some upgrades in the "Agility" specialization. I agree it is kind of cumbersome in the beginning, but I feel the upgrades in this game are handled pretty well. Just keep using it and it will level up.

tmespe

Big game, prob. needs a few more days for reviews to pop up.

They didn't send out any review copies before release, so all reviewers have to play through it with us commoners. Probably gonna take a couple of days since it's an open world game.

Ledhead

Man, I had this pre-ordered but canceled when I came to terms with my workload and the fact that I probably wouldn't have time to play anyway. Still, reading the OT is making me wish I could play haha. Will pick up in a few months

Mengetsu

Playing since tuesday night with my two friends and we can't get enough! The co-op is perfect with being able to explore separately and quick travel when doing or turning in quest. Grapichs are great on PS4.

Ominym

Banned
I'm enjoying this a whole lot more than I thought I would. As someone who really enjoyed the beginning half of Dead Island, this feels like a massive improvement.

(I really don't think this is a spoiler, but beware random NPC chatter.) I spoke, or should say was spoke at by a random NPC who talked about the sewer system. I sincerely hope this was a joke at the fucking awful sewer portion of Dead Island, otherwise my audible groan was rightfully earned.

Klyka

Banned
Playing since tuesday night with my two friends and we can't get enough! The co-op is perfect with being able to explore separately and quick travel when doing or turning in quest. Grapichs are great on PS4.

I was completely blown away by the quick travel being so...well quick!

RodzTF

I've seen footage of the city area, is that a separate part of the map? Does it unlock through the campaign or is it accessible at any time?

Ricker

Upgrades look like 2 gears. Not sure the console key but you select a weapon and hit f6 and you can apply them on PC. They apply things like increased durability, damage, and handling that I've seen so far.

There's a shutter you have to lift open on the building. Use survivor sense to get an idea of its' location, it'll highlight interactive areas.

Well damn...there is like 7 or 8 zombies around it and all I have so far for weapons are pipes and the like,which take about 8 hits to kill a zombie and they wind up breaking...oh well,I will come back later then to finish it,thanks.

The big thing to write now a days is "reviews in progress."

lol,but to be fair,most review sites got the game the day of release(yesterday) so thats why...

mdsfx

I feel like someone else said this before, but this very much feels like a zombie version of farcry and that is not a complaint!

Graphics are sometimes mediocre, mostly just the people up close. The lip sync thing is a bit strange, but doesn't bother me too much.

Somewhat of a slow start, but just keeps getting more fun as I progress. The parkour takes some getting used to, but is fluid and I love it. Environment looks beautiful!

This game! Night time plays completely different than day. I mean u can play the same as daytime but u won't survive long. I didn't think this game would have me wrapped like it does.

Vladmiris

Well damn...there is like 7 or 8 zombies around it and all I have so far for weapons are pipes and the like,which take about 8 hits to kill a zombie and they wind up breaking...oh well,I will come back later then to finish it,thanks.

I did it early on. Don't you have any firecrackers? Just toss them and then move in real quick. Trust me, that building is worth getting into.

Sojgat

What was the reason the physical copies were delayed?

Digital version on PS4 is $100, which is just fucking ridiculous.

Ricker

I did it early on. Don't you have any firecrackers? Just toss them and then move in real quick. Trust me, that building is worth getting into.

Yeah I saw a whole bunch of icons flashing in there when I used my survivor sense,going to give it a shot again before heading out...I have to head all the way down there though since I saved and quit last night.

Bollocks

so whats the verdict?
initially I thought it's gonna be meh but after watching some videos it got me intrigued. Parkour, Coop.
Is it drop in drop out campaign coop like in Dead Island? Not just some specific coop missions?.

Ricker

so whats the verdict?
initially I thought it's gonna be meh but after watching some videos it got me intrigued. Parkour, Coop.
Is it drop in drop out campaign coop like in Dead Island? Not just some specific coop missions?.

Whole game,after the prologue is drop in drop out,you can play the entire game in co-op with a friend.

Anybody else get a john carpenter reference with the music it's crazy

Yep,its pretty good.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Not loving the parkour after a few hours, it just doesn't feel smooth in the same way that it does in Mirrors Edge or Assassin's Creed. Everything you do seems to have a pause before you're back to moving. Still early on I presume though, so we shall see if that aspect improves.
It does. Typing up some (still pretty damn early) thoughts now, but people interested in this as a parkour game will find them particularly relevant.

SomTervo

Sucks that I have to wait a month for the physical release here in the UK. :(

Look for an independent local retailer and give them a phone. They might have imported it from US.

I'm in Scotland, and have a copy, just bought from a shop, sitting in my bag :) local games retailers are the best. When you find a good one, that is.

Man, I had this pre-ordered but canceled when I came to terms with my workload and the fact that I probably wouldn't have time to play anyway. Still, reading the OT is making me wish I could play haha. Will pick up in a few months

Your name should be Levelhead

Australia. Sorry, I should have probably stated that.

I imagine a disc copy would be around $30 cheaper, based on usual local pricing. PSN prices in general seem kind of steep.

They're ridiculous everywhere but the US and Japan I think

@Calmine, definitely showing $60 for me

Look for an independent local retailer and give them a phone. They might have imported it from US.

I'm in Scotland, and have a copy, just bought from a shop, sitting in my bag :) local games retailers are the best. When you find a good one, that is.

The only place that sells videogames near me is CEX. And that's all pre-owned stuff, so it looks like I'm just going to have to wait.

so whats the verdict?

Well so far it seems like the majority are having a real good time and surprised at how good it is.

Anyone gonna need help with the 'Complete 5 quests with the same 3 co-op partners' trophy on PS4?

I'll probably need to rope 2 people in for that one, assuming I can get my brother to help

@Calmine, yep, on console. Premium edition is $80

JimPanzer

god damn I hate those tower climbs. they already sucked in Far Cry.
I feel dumb, but I'm stuck at the 2nd radio tower I have to activate for karim and can't find a way up.

realcZk

anyone got any general tips for nighttime traversal?

usually I just keep my flashlight off and crouch until I can sprint without any of those creepy fuckers in range. it works, but thats all I've done. the UV flashlight does indeed stun them, but its for 1-2 seconds and takes a while to kick in, so I don't find myself bothering to use it because during that time another can flank you or come in from behind.

goonergaz

I feel dumb, but I'm stuck at the 2nd radio tower I have to activate for karim and can't find a way up.

welcome to my world...glad I'm not the only one who struggles with these types of things! lol

DrDamn

Sorry you are stuck, but to me that sounds great. The fact you don't just push forward and hold a button like a lot of other games sounds fantastic :).

Is there a way to see damage feedback on enemies? Its hard to know how effective hits are, and for example whether my kicks are doing any damage (same with knocking enemies over)

Got that '20 kills without getting hit' trophy immediately after being asked to go out on my first errand. Feels good man. (Most were from me kicking zombies into spikes)

It's going to take me a bit to adjust to the traversal and movement speed/controls but so far it's a blast. Just what I needed to take a break from Destiny.

realcZk

you might not be far enough up yet, but press Q (on pc, view objective/examine surroundings button) and check where the panel is you need to activate. On the second tower, it's not all the way at the top, although you do get something for getting to the very top.

Okay this game is damn interesting and the zombies while slow you can tell if you get swarmed you are screwed.
I only played the first 2 hours of it though... so lets see how the rest go!

JimPanzer

Sorry you are stuck, but to me that sounds great. The fact you don't just push forward and hold a button like a lot of other games sounds fantastic :).

yes the concept is great, but I just find it really cumbersome in first person. already said earlier that this game would be much better with a 3rd person perspective.

you might not be far enough up yet, but press Q (on pc, view objective/examine surroundings button) and check where the panel is you need to activate. On the second tower, it's not all the way at the top, although you do get something for getting to the very top.

got it now, problem was I thought I couldn't climb the thing I was supposed to :/

Top Bottom