• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

realcZk

yes the concept is great, but I just find it really cumbersome in first person. already said earlier that this game would be much better with a 3rd person perspective.

got it now, problem was I thought I couldn't climb the thing I was supposed to :/

haha been there, i fell off that second tower a few times. sometimes we all have to take a leap of faith.

Klyka

Banned
yes the concept is great, but I just find it really cumbersome in first person. already said earlier that this game would be much better with a 3rd person perspective.

got it now, problem was I thought I couldn't climb the thing I was supposed to :/

I thinka 3rd person perspective would completely ruin the fantastic immersion the game has.

It would basically be Ass Creed wth Zombies.

Anung

Un Rama
Anyone having trouble downloading this off the UK PS store? Says it can't find the application so I need to search the store.

drotahorror

Anyone having trouble downloading this off the UK PS store? Says it can't find the application so I need to search the store.

I just had someone send me a msg on psn asking if he had any issues downloading the game. I told him no. He could be in the UK.

styl3s

Nobody was able to really answer my question yesterday but i assume a lot of people are pretty far into the game or far enough to answer my question with confidence.

Is night forced? I assume they will at least make you do it once for a tutorial like thing or maybe twice but is it forced through the main story?

Quikies83

Nobody was able to really answer my question yesterday but i assume a lot of people are pretty far into the game or far enough to answer my question with confidence.

Is night forced? I assume they will at least make you do it once for a tutorial like thing or maybe twice but is it forced through the main story?
You can rest at a bed and sleep til morning when night falls.

In some missions yes. I'm currently doing a mission that requires it to be night for a certain zombie to show up that you have to collect. Also i'm sure its been said by other people, but i'm about 8 hours into the game and lost all my weapons, items, blueprints, and skills upon loading my save, so i'm basically starting from scratch even though i'm pretty deep into the game. Really annoyed with this crap

styl3s

In some missions yes. I'm currently doing a mission that requires it to be night for a certain zombie to show up that you have to collect. Also i'm sure its been said by other people, but i'm about 8 hours into the game and lost all my weapons, items, blueprints, and skills upon loading my save, so i'm basically starting from scratch even though i'm pretty deep into the game. Really annoyed with this crap
Do they plan on fixing it? is this a common bug?

Quikies83

ok, and what's wrong with that!? An option might have been nice for folk like me who find it hard to adjust
lol add a option to play in 3rd person?
I'd be okay with this only if they put the same amount of effort that Bethesda put in to Oblivion's 3rd person view.
That's not how this game is meant to be played...

ironcreed

Banned
The pacing with the abilities you unlock is something I feel they really nailed. The game is just progressively more and more fun to play and has a terrific atmosphere to boot. Pretty nice level design as well.

OrangeOak

Is it noticable better than first Dead Island?
I liked first game and I finished it in coop but I think that it was a little to repetitive.Killing zombies was fun but combat could be more diverse.
Does it have better mission design than DI?

Is it noticable better than first Dead Island?
I liked first game and I finished it in coop but I think that it was a little to repetitive.Killing zombies was fun but combat could be more diverse.
Does it have better mission design than DI?
To an extent every mission seems pretty different besides the run here and there but other than that each mission has been pretty different even side quests

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Enjoying what I've played so far, a few missions in. I've gone through a couple of day-night cycles. Managed to hunker down out in the open one night and just evade the volatiles. The lighting at night was a rather perfect rendition of clear, moonlit skies, so I could see well enough without using the flashlight to alert anyone to my whereabouts. Then a storm rolled in suddenly and it got pitch black and it started thundering and the only time I could see was during flashes of lightning. Perfect atmosphere.

The task structure in the game so far has come across as a lot more natural than a lot of other open-world games where there's often a clear delineation between main quests and the side quests. The basic need to find what you can in the environment around you to craft what you need is a glue that helps bond everything together.

Game feels like a totally different game than Dead Island, is this mainly the same team? It feels like they made a game designed for a more mainstream audience, with a gritter/more mature focus (story, characters, cutscenes eg nothing like voodoo bitch)
Took a while to get used to traversal, but it was a great idea to separate the game from all the other zombie games so it feels like playing something totally new. Its like a cross between Dead Rising 3 and Sunset Overdrive.

I personally miss some RPG elements like character.classes and visible damage indicators but there are a lot of updates that make the game more streamlined vs DI (auto repair weapons, dont need workbench to craft weapons) and I think this game will have a widespread appeal, especially launching in a quiet period. Its by default the best zombie game on PS4 since DR3 & SO are xbox one only.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I personally miss some RPG elements like character.classes and visible damage indicators but there are a lot of updates that make the game more streamlined vs DI (auto repair weapons, dont need workbench to craft weapons) and I think this game will have a widespread appeal, especially launching in a quiet period.

The lack of floating combat indicators are thus far my biggest issue with the game. Hard to really put so much faith into the weapon stats when you have no real reference or concept as to how damage is calculated. I have to trust that a 31 dmg pipe is actually meaningful over a 19 dmg wood plank. What modifiers do crits add? Body part location spread? A zombie taking 11 hits to kill instead of 13 is not as engaging without some sort of feedback the game chooses to hide by choice.

Again I just dislike having a blindfold when sussing out the mechanics, which will eventually turn to me eventually ignoring a lot of it and focusing primarily on the action, which may be the intention but a design choice where the engagement suffers, especially when weapon stats and skill modifiers are such a crux to the gameplay.

Vuze

Damn, finding the way to the rooftop in the Mother's Day sidequest was tedious... countless deaths for trying what appears to be the direct way.

Got this on PS4 yesterday. I'm just now getting through the tutorial, but so far the parkour is satisfying.
I need some PS4 co-op buddies to play with! My PSN ID is YouGotReaped, so add me if you want to play some co-op sometime.

ironcreed

Banned
As far as open world games go, I am totally enjoying my time with this more than something like Far Cry 4. I just feel more involved and everything comes together to make a game that is simply more fun to play for me.

N° 2048

Holy shit the review thread is a mess. I hope everyone is just enjoying the game and not falling into the bullshit politics that are review scores.

Quikies83

Is there a way to turn off zombie invasions in singleplayer? My interest in multiplayer in non-MMO games starts and stops at "nah".
Yeah. Hit pause and change your session options. Invasions can be turned off completely.
Pretty hard to miss this option as it is right in your face if you pause the game.

Codiox

Played the tutorial chapter and really liking it.

Finished dead Island 1 and riptide, and loved the coop fun. I also love mirrors edge so this game give me the right things.

I think it's really like a cross between mirrors edge and dead Island, but with a darker tone.

ironcreed

Banned
Holy shit the review thread is a mess. I hope everyone is just enjoying the game and not falling into the bullshit politics that are review scores.

I knew I would love the game before it even came out. Hours of raw footage did not lie and told me all I needed to know. Now that I am playing it myself, it is exactly as I saw and I could not be more pleased.

So is there a wall run? Because I've played a solid two hours so far and the lack of a wall run and slide are infuriating. I know that slide is early on in the agility skill tree, but I saw no mention of wall run.

Im afraid i didn't read the whole thread BUT is there any chance to play get and play this game legally in germany? I only own a pc though.

Catdaddy

Was going to wait, but think that I'm gonna take the plunge. Reading user reviews across GAF, Steam, Reddit, and "first impressions".. Looks like I'll put finishing FC4 on hold for a bit.

And yes, the review thread took a left turn around Page 2...

pahamrick

So, sprinting back to the tower at night with about 5 volatiles chasing close behind with no weapons and no health packs could possibly be the most terrifying moment in a game for me so far this year.

ironcreed

Banned
so you saw the thread, but apparently didnt read it :p

sterling's review has rustled jimmies

His reviews are always controversial. Nothing new under the sun there, lol. I like the guy, but I rarely agree with his opinions on anything other than musou games.

so the initial impressions are that this is good? i keep feeling like i should buy it, but i'm afraid it will be just another case of the open world gameplay making me feel like i'm playing "errand boy: the game." plus, i haven't played any games in quite a while and have a backlog. still, something about this makes me feel like i should get it.

So is there a wall run? Because I've played a solid two hours so far and the lack of a wall run and slide are infuriating. I know that slide is early on in the agility skill tree, but I saw no mention of wall run.

There's a giant skill tree and you aren't a parkour professional, but over time u become one. The game reflects this.

so the initial impressions are that this is good? i keep feeling like i should buy it, but i'm afraid it will be just another case of the open world gameplay making me feel like i'm playing "errand boy: the game." plus, i haven't played any games in quite a while and have a backlog. still, something about this makes me feel like i should get it.

As far as open world games go, I am totally enjoying my time with this more than something like Far Cry 4. I just feel more involved and everything comes together to make a game that is simply more fun to play for me.

The game actually gives u good reasons for sending you on fetch quests when it does. You aren't a God in human form that still has to mine and pick his own damn flowers.
You show up out of nowhere and you're more or less a spy & going on these missions allowing u the freedom to report in.

Ironcreed is right, the missions and premise are much better than far cry. The day/night cycle allows separate game flow and the pace at which you find blueprints and level up are well balanced. When you're being chased at night shit gets intense. Especially if you haven't leveled up at all

Top Bottom