• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

komorebi

Loving this game. Had a blast playing co-op for hours last night.

EDIT: recommendation for top page:
drop kick EVERYTHING

Flunkie

Banned
Loving this game. Had a blast playing co-op for hours last night.

EDIT: recommendation for top page:
drop kick EVERYTHING
You ain't no top page, son.

So, sprinting back to the tower at night with about 5 volatiles chasing close behind with no weapons and no health packs could possibly be the most terrifying moment in a game for me so far this year.
So far this... Past 10 years.

I don't play a lot of horror games so the tension really surprised me. Looking over your shoulder seeing the super zombies running after you in slow motion at midnight with headphones on = bone chilling

jond76

Banned
Damn, finding the way to the rooftop in the Mother's Day sidequest was tedious... countless deaths for trying what appears to be the direct way.

I tried shimmying across the pipe on the over pass but I couldn't make the jump across the broken catwalk.

I finally made it by jumping by off the roof of the house next door.

Alan Smithee

Neo Member
I'm thinking about a purchase. How well integrated is the multi-player? Someone compared the pvp aspect to Dark Souls invasions (though it looks like you can turn them off

Stanng243

So I preordered the game from best buy. Does the code for Be the zombie do anything now that it's free for everybody? Thank you for your help.

owlbeak

I tried shimmying across the pipe on the over pass but I couldn't make the jump across the broken catwalk.

Same here. Then I looked up. There's another pipe you can shimmy across that broken catwalk section.

antitrop

So is this game worth the $ for someone who hated Dead Island? The parkour has me interested.

I think it's a considerably better game than Dead Island. I've only played a few hours, but it seemed like a solid 7/10, where Dead Island was like a 4.

It was definitely worth the Gamestop pricing error, but unless you have a dedicated friend to go through with co-op, I wouldn't recommend it for $60.

Showshank

Do you get credit for completing co-op side quests/ safehouses / collectibles? I know main story missions are saved if you are at the same mission as your partner.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Holy shit the review thread is a mess. I hope everyone is just enjoying the game and not falling into the bullshit politics that are review scores.
How can this have a review thread with like 2 reviews? lol

almost done typing up my (detailed) impressions with about 7 hours of mostly just messing around in the open world, for people who are looking at whether or not to buy it before the full reviews hit whenever they do
So is there a wall run? Because I've played a solid two hours so far and the lack of a wall run and slide are infuriating. I know that slide is early on in the agility skill tree, but I saw no mention of wall run.
Yeah, the early lack of any competence in parkour is frustrating, but it starts to feel better and better with each upgrade. Meanwhile you're also improving mechanically as a player while unlocking them, because you earn Agility XP by doing parkour stuff. Kind of a cool approach IMO. There are quite a few abilities to unlock; I'm not sure if this is what we want out of a wall-run or not but I did notice it last night and snapped a shot. Sounds quite interesting no matter how it works...
B8a9uI-CIAE-7OT.jpg:large

As you mentioned, parkour abilities were still pretty inadequate after two hours, IMO. Unlocking Slide, Vault and especially Freerunning Adept (below) made a huge difference. Starting to feel more and more like Mirror's Edge the more I play.
B8bBZa6CEAAdalk.jpg:large

I don't know everything it improves (should've pressed Square before taking the shot -_-) but I can tell you that it has a massive impact on the "pause" you've surely noticed when jumping up and over a simple vertical obstacle like a fence or ledge.

I screwed up with gamestop glitch and instead ordering the season pass at gamestop, I bought two codes on amazon and didnt read the thread carefully. So first person who pms me, gets it free

Beaulieu

giantbomb quicklook for this is soo bad
they spend 1h15m killing zombies with a pipe and talking about other games.
what hapenned to these guys ? they used to be good.

How can this have a review thread with like 2 reviews? lol

almost done typing up my (detailed) impressions with about 7 hours of mostly just messing around in the open world, for people who are looking at whether or not to buy it before the full reviews hit whenever they do

Looking forward to it.

Beaulieu

I think that says more about the game than the people quick looking it.

I don't think so.
They have a mission objective, right next to them, but they just keep killing zombies instead of going to it.
Kept talking about how good the game is but just bashed zombies with a pipe for an hour.

last few months of quicklooks have been horrible.

screw it, here it is
M7RR-L9N4-DLT8

:(
pretty sure a lurker used it, you shoul've sticked to the PM plan :(

so the initial impressions are that this is good? i keep feeling like i should buy it, but i'm afraid it will be just another case of the open world gameplay making me feel like i'm playing "errand boy: the game." plus, i haven't played any games in quite a while and have a backlog. still, something about this makes me feel like i should get it.

Ya i hear ya, I was really good for a while with staying current with ps4 games, now they are slowly starting to pile on (still need to play Farcary 4..or do I?) I really didnt enjoy Shadows of Mordor, so I think Im going to wait for the honeymoon phas with this game to die down a bit before I rush out and get it. Still...it looks so good...so tempted.

The_Monk

I can't honestly wait for this game. I did not read any reviews but I saw some gameplay videos. I had a great time with Dead Island since I completed once then went to help a friend in some quests. Just need it to drop the price a bit in the future so I can keep within my tiny budget. :)

antitrop

I don't think so.
They have a mission objective, right next to them, but they just keep killing zombies instead of going to it.
Kept talking about how good the game is but just bashed zombies with a pipe for an hour.

The mission objective is just a generic fetch quest in which you will smash tons of zombies with pipes en route.

They aren't missions, as much as loose contexts to give you an excuse to mess around with the gameplay systems. Much like Far Cry 4, but even less creative.

Beaulieu

The mission objective is just a generic fetch quest in which you will smash tons of zombies with pipes en route.

ok so you don't like the game, I get it.
I didnt like dead island myself and Im trying to figure out if I would like this better to make an informed buying decision. As I don't trust GAF hype at all, I need to check the interent for pertinent material to make that decision. Giantbomb's quicklooks used to be a good tool for this. Not anymore.

still, Im pretty sure they could have showcased more than 1 weapon and more than 1 area in that 1h+ quicklook.

I'm enjoying Dying Light a lot more than I thought I would. The free roam parkour makes the zombie genre so much better for me. I thought Dead Island was kind of ganky, but this game feels so right for some reason. Only about 8% done and played over 5 hours.

Petite Feet

Neo Member
I don't think so.

I redeemed it. I just don't post at all. I PM'd him (and a thank you too)
Sorry :(

antitrop

ok so you don't like the game, I get it.

still, Im pretty sure they could have showcased more than 1 weapon and more than 1 area in that 1h+ quicklook.

I like the game for what it is. And what it is is smashing zombies with pipes and doing fetch quests. I'm not sure what more you wanted them to show.

derFeef

I can't honestly wait for this game. I did not read any reviews but I saw some gameplay videos. I had a great time with Dead Island since I completed once then went to help a friend in some quests. Just need it to drop the price a bit in the future so I can keep within my tiny budget. :)

I loved Dead Island and this is like a polished and higher budget Dead Island + verticality, you will not be disappointed.

The dropkick looks kinda goofy but man is it ever fun.

I never played Mirror's Edge. I tried the demo, but it didn't grab me. Something about it seemed too restrictive, like you had to find the one 'line' that the game had in mind. For some reason this game I dig the parkour though. I guess it's the whole open world freedom of it. ME felt very trial and error.

Is that the way the game really was, or did it open up further on?

The_Monk

I loved Dead Island and this is like a polished and higher budget Dead Island + verticality, you will not be disappointed.

This is good news, thanks for replying! I hope I can play it in the future. I've been watching some streams out of curiosity but I'm trying to keep the story elements hidden until I can be able to enjoy the game myself.

I don't think so.

Sorry, I thought it would be better to put in the wild so no one sells it

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The dropkick looks kinda goofy but man is it ever fun.

I never played Mirror's Edge. I tried the demo, but it didn't grab me. Something about it seemed too restrictive, like you had to find the one 'line' that the game had in mind. For some reason this game I dig the parkour though. I guess it's the whole open world freedom of it. ME felt very trial and error.

Is that the way the game really was, or did it open up further on?
Tragically, ME is quite linear the whole way through. Advanced play became about finding the most efficient path to the "progress point," which you'd completely memorized. Actually, before you'd memorized them, there was even a freaking button you could push that swung your camera to focus on it (just remembering this now). The locomotion and control were fantastic but you're right, it was restrictive and based a lot on trial and error. I played it many times through but have always been hungry for something that would leverage its style of gameplay in an open world. Dying Light is reallllllly scratching that itch.

That shit is not even fair when you're alone, especially towards the beginning of the game. The dudes one shot you and they have a lot of life.

Once you know what you're doing it's not that bad especially if you have a decent sound system and can hear the hunter easily. I lost the first time but won my second go (which happened to be the same invader).

I nearly stopped playing it at that point. Turns out at that broken catwalk there is a yellow pipe you can shimmy on. Worst part of the game for me in an otherwise amazing game.

FrsDvl

I'm disappointed.. I thought night time was supposed to be scary. It's easy enough to outrun those things. Although I'm sure it'll get harder.

Tragically, ME is quite linear the whole way through. Advanced play became about finding the most efficient path to the "progress point," which you'd completely memorized. Actually, before you'd memorized them, there was even a freaking button you could push that swung your camera to focus on it (just remembering this now). The locomotion and control were fantastic but you're right, it was restrictive and based a lot on trial and error. I played it many times through but have always been hungry for something that would leverage its style of gameplay in an open world. Dying Light is reallllllly scratching that itch.

Cool, that's what I thought. Thanks.

At night.. should you just head for a tower to climb or the nearest safe house? Just thinking that if it is beginning to turn night... it would be easeir to just hang out on a tower until daytime???

How long does the night cycle last?

Top Bottom