• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

WGMBY

Tragically, ME is quite linear the whole way through. Advanced play became about finding the most efficient path to the "progress point," which you'd completely memorized. Actually, before you'd memorized them, there was even a freaking button you could push that swung your camera to focus on it (just remembering this now). The locomotion and control were fantastic but you're right, it was restrictive and based a lot on trial and error. I played it many times through but have always been hungry for something that would leverage its style of gameplay in an open world. Dying Light is reallllllly scratching that itch.

Uh oh, i might have to pick this up. The restrictive levels and bottleneck design of ME was the main thing that rubbed me wrong. Does Dying Light have the more advanced stuff from ME in it? Wall runs and jumps and the like?

I'm still holding out for ME2 to fix most of the problems I had with the first game.

Erban1

Enjoying this game very much. The Parkour progression is really well done.

Yep, feels like your character is actually getting better and better at free running, starts off feeling a little clunky and slow if your timing is off but as you gain levels everything gets faster and you're completing lines with ease. It's a fantastic sense of progression, I can't wait to get the grappling hook and wall run abilities, they'll only make the world more fun to play around in.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
ok so you don't like the game, I get it.
I didnt like dead island myself and Im trying to figure out if I would like this better to make an informed buying decision. As I don't trust GAF hype at all, I need to check the interent for pertinent material to make that decision. Giantbomb's quicklooks used to be a good tool for this. Not anymore.

still, Im pretty sure they could have showcased more than 1 weapon and more than 1 area in that 1h+ quicklook.

That hour and 15 minute video is a pretty good representation of what you will be doing for the entirety of the game.

Trouble

Banned
Played a bit last night. Overall having fun, but not sure how long that will last.

Impressions from about 2.5 hours of play.

- Limited weapon repairs is kind of annoying. Especially after crafting and upgrading my first weapon early on.
- Parkour is really nice for escaping and lets you traverse the map much quicker than in Dead Island. It does seem a bit inconsistent, though. Oddly forgiving in some situations and oddly unforgiving in others.
- The whole
double agent
aspect of the story is interesting and may keep me playing longer than I might otherwise if it plays out well.
- Skyrim style lockpicking is going to get old real fast.
- Little incentive (so far) to ever fight zombies if you can avoid it.
- The lack of quick travel to unlocked safe zones is weird. Seems like half the point of securing safe zones would be for quick travel.

BearPawB

Banned
Really enjoying this game.
(I didn't much care for dead island).

Traversal feels deliberate, but rewarding.

Tons of NPCs with fun personalities (feels borderlands-esque without being over done)

Combat starts a little...dull. But once you start mastering the various dodge mechanics it can be rewarding to take a guy down.

Night time is a nervous dash between safe houses, and while it's fun, I'm glad there is an option to pass time.

I do wish there was some fast travel (maybe later?). As getting from one side of the map to another takes some time. But, traversal is fun, and I usually find something interesting by wandering around randomly.

Has anyone purchased this in the UK?

Finally decided to take the plunge (even though I was baulking a bit at the price) and guess what, Sony Entertainment Internet site says cannot buy and there is no option to buy the game on PSN.

I think the launch of this game is trying to tell me something..... lol.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I just discovered swiping on the dpad to quick access options. Must have missed it in the tutorial.
I doubt it was mentioned. I kinda hated the tutorial. Nice touch though. Also just swiping your finger across the touchpad to access/navigate menus, rather than pressing it.
I'm disappointed.. I thought night time was supposed to be scary. It's easy enough to outrun those things. Although I'm sure it'll get harder.
I was getting pretty confident with them too... but I still got pretty startled during a storm. One second there was one, then there were like four...
Uh oh, i might have to pick this up. The restrictive levels and bottleneck design of ME was the main thing that rubbed me wrong. Does Dying Light have the more advanced stuff from ME in it? Wall runs and jumps and the like?

I'm still holding out for ME2 to fix most of the problems I had with the first game.
I'm just gonna say get it, flat out. It really does seem to capture what I wanted from an open world ME, but with a progression instead of being given every technique immediately. I can't vouch for every move blow-for-blow from ME (if I had to guess, the vertical run->reverse look->wall jump is probably not in, since there's no "About Face" button), but there are tons of unlocks and definitely advanced stuff, like this one I noticed scanning over the tree last night.
B8a9uI-CIAE-7OT.jpg:large
- Little incentive (so far) to ever fight zombies if you can avoid it.
One incentive would be, if you want to level up your combat abilities. It's really up to you, but I'm personally not focusing on it at all.
At night.. should you just head for a tower to climb or the nearest safe house? Just thinking that if it is beginning to turn night... it would be easeir to just hang out on a tower until daytime???
It's really up to you. At any secured safehouse you can just sleep to make it day again, if you're just trying to get the sun back up. If you do hang out and survive you'll get a big Survival bonus; a tower is a fine place to do that. However, anything you do during the night also earns you bonus XP. It sort of depends. Course if you die, it costs you.

I'm actually going to make it a point to operate at night frequently. It's really fun to get away with stuff.
How long does the night cycle last?
Good question, no clue.

Anung

Un Rama
Has anyone purchased this in the UK?

Finally decided to take the plunge (even though I was baulking a bit at the price) and guess what, Sony Entertainment Internet site says cannot buy and there is no option to buy the game on PSN.

I think the launch of this game is trying to tell me something..... lol.

Same issue. But after I paid for it.

Kitoro

So, what's the verdict? With only two largely varying review scores to go by, I'm not sure if this game is actually worthwhile.

Thanks!

Hmm seems the UK version isn't available until the 30th.... someone has screwed up this launch royally it seems.... seriously how difficult can it be.

Edit... Apparently they sent out one tweet saying France/Germany 29th, UK 30th, and in the very next tweet, all digital releases on the 28th...

So, what's the verdict? With only two largely varying review scores to go by, I'm not sure if this game is actually worthwhile.

Thanks!

I've played about 4 hours on PS4 and I really like it a lot.

One of the things I like about it is the mix of 'game pace'. I like that when you're running around the world it moves very quickly, leaping from roof to roof and sliding around.

Then when you do get into combat it's a lot more deliberate and weighty, which is what I tend to like my games to be. It's a nice mix- usually when games have frenetic movement speed the combat is fast and frenetic as well. This is unique in that it shifts from one to the other seamlessly, at least so far. I imagine that upon unlocking more combat moves it may speed up a bit, but as it stands currently I really enjoy the blend.

Does anyone know of you can attain all perks (survival, agility, and combat) in the game?

I don't see why not. It's not like there's a limited amount of enemies in the world, so there's no reason you couldn't 'grind' forever in the game. As to how long it would take, who knows?

Corpekata

Banned
Does anyone know of you can attain all perks (survival, agility, and combat) in the game?

Should be able to. Agility just means go free run, Strength go mash zombies. Survival requires quests but there are random quests (air drops, random survivors trapped by zombies) that can supplement them. Might be quite a grind though.

Anung

Un Rama
Hmm seems the UK version isn't available until the 30th.... someone has screwed up this launch royally it seems.... seriously how difficult can it be.

Edit... Apparently they sent out one tweet saying France/Germany 29th, UK 30th, and in the very next tweet, all digital releases on the 28th...

Jesus, what a mess.

Trouble

Banned
One incentive would be, if you want to level up your combat abilities. It's really up to you, but I'm personally not focusing on it at all.

Good point, hadn't thought of that. Probably because I haven't really thought of how the skill points are earned.

Grisby

The music is pretty damn good. That synth.

Also, anyone know hoe to get into room 202? Bunch of people standing outside it but there doesn't seem to be anything indicating I can get in,

Also, I was traversing out in the world just dicking around and I got 'A survivor died' message. Does that mean someone ate it back at the tower?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't see why not. It's not like there's a limited amount of enemies in the world, so there's no reason you couldn't 'grind' forever in the game. As to how long it would take, who knows?
Yeah, really it's not even like that. You don't even level up Agility by killing enemies at all.

There's no reason you couldn't eventually unlock everything, but the way you play will definitely influence what you unlock first.
Good point, hadn't thought of that. Probably because I haven't really thought of how the skill points are earned.
My favorite surprise of its gameplay systems. Improve by doing what you want to improve.
Should be able to. Agility just means go free run, Strength go mash zombies. Survival requires quests but there are random quests (air drops, random survivors trapped by zombies) that can supplement them. Might be quite a grind though.
You can get an enormous boost to Survival XP by merely surviving a night out in the world until dawn. You also get Survival XP for stuff like looting, crafting, and using traps, at night. Agility and Strength XP is doubled at night.

I downloaded it just fine in the UK yesterday on the UK store.

Just started playing it and so far so good.

Apparently, saw in a reply from the playstationUK twitter account (they couldn't even just post a post, it was a reply to someone else), that it's currently not working for anyone who want to buy or have just purchased before it went down.... they are working on a fix.

Karak

The music is pretty damn good. That synth.

Also, anyone know hoe to get into room 202? Bunch of people standing outside it but there doesn't seem to be anything indicating I can get in,

Also, I was traversing out in the world just dicking around and I got 'A survivor died' message. Does that mean someone ate it back at the tower?

Talk to one of the folks at the door and then lockpick it.

As for the survivor watch for blue icons on your minimap that look different than the rest that is dudes running around killing guys on their own. Hope to it and save them

Karak

Will do.

Wasn't giving me the option to talk with anyone earlier though, so I'll see if it changed.

Should be a guy or gal to the left of the door. I think it was a guy. Says something about the door being shut and locked and them hearing screams.

I'm 20 hours into the game and in the 2nd half of the game, traversal is so much more fun once you unlock the grappling hook.

It plays pretty much like a first person spiderman with parkour.

bryanee

I'm looking through the skill tree for the parkour stuff and noticed Tic Tac. Does this allow you to run along a wall or is it just up it like it says?

Really? Whoever it is sounds like he's doing an impression of Troy then lol

Its Chris Redfield guy. I don't think he sounds anything like Troy. All I can hear is Batman and Redfield.

Zombies bobbing and weaving through my melee attacks is quite possibly the dumbest shit I've ever seen in any zombie related media. And I've seen World War Z. Really fucking stupid.

Zombies bobbing and weaving through my melee attacks is quite possibly the dumbest shit I've ever seen in any zombie related media. And I've seen World War Z. Really fucking stupid.

The virals you mean? Makes sense to me. They are the special not stupid, 28 days later, fuck your shit up zombies.

aro52

I'm 4.5 hours in, and forgot when the "you can now play co-op" message popped.
My buddy's gonna fire it up for the first time tonight. How long will it take him to get to that point? (So we can start playing together.)

I'm 4.5 hours in, and forgot when the "you can now play co-op" message popped. My buddy's gonna fire it up for the first time tonight. How long will it take him to get to that point? (and we can start playing together)

Bout 30-45 minutes. Basically after you complete the prologue

Top Bottom