• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

Grisby

I'm 20 hours into the game and in the 2nd half of the game, traversal is so much more fun once you unlock the grappling hook.

It plays pretty much like a first person spiderman with parkour.
yTsUs0m.gif

GravyButt

silly question but I have 11 dockets. Is it ok to redeem them all and just put whatever I dont want to use now in storage, or should I redeem them later on in the game? Im unclear if what you get for redeeming them is based on what level you are or if there is no difference between cashing them in now, or at the end of the game. Thanks

MAX PAYMENT

The grappling hook sounds really dumb to me.
especially playing as the zombie trying to get humans.

Doesn't sound fun playing as an over powered zombie chasing down humans thar can zip around everywhere.

owlbeak

Is the last mission of the prologue the one with
the forced night ending
? Or is it sooner?
It's after you
fight the guy with the big hammer thing and then head back to the safe room at sundown and see a weird green zombie. When you wake up after sleeping at the sleeping bag, you unlock coop.

Spinluck

The grappling hook sounds really dumb to me.
especially playing as the zombie trying to get humans.

Doesn't sound fun playing as an over powered zombie chasing down humans thar can zip around everywhere.

They aren't that OP.

I just beat two in 1v1 matches where I had no teammates. Really terrible play from them though, a good one with a decent amount of abilities is frightening though.

Corpekata

Banned
silly question but I have 11 dockets. Is it ok to redeem them all and just put whatever I dont want to use now in storage, or should I redeem them later on in the game? Im unclear if what you get for redeeming them is based on what level you are or if there is no difference between cashing them in now, or at the end of the game. Thanks

You get a good weapon for your level. Doesn't make sense to redeem them all at once, redeem one every few levels so you have a good piece of gear to rely on. Would be a waste to spend to many at once since you'll overlevel them quickly.

T-Rex.

Banned
Alright is this game actually scary or am I just a chicken? I'm a few hours in, but man it's already quite tense.. especially during the night. Quite a few instances where I'm being chased and panic which leads to me making a mistake trying to climb up a wall or building haha, but I'm absolutely loving it and I didn't think I would.

aro52

It's after you
fight the guy with the big hammer thing and then head back to the safe room at sundown and see a weird green zombie. When you wake up after sleeping at the sleeping bag, you unlock coop.

Ah yes! Good. That's sooner than I thought it'd be.

Did any of the reviews even mention the grapple hook much? Seems like a pretty big thing.

I didn't really read any of the reviews other than the excerpts posted in the review thread. I had already bought the game and didn't see the point.

I also noticed that the game is $ 10 more expensive on PSN last night (69.99) than it was when I preordered it a few weeks ago...I paid 59.99. Wonder if this is a case of preorders having a price break, or the game increasing in price due to the shitty Canadian dollar- I live in Canada.

pronk420

I like this a lot, it feels like dead island but with more interesting mechanics and a bigger scope.

Is there a way to have the analogue control over weapon swipes like In dead island or is that gone? It was a menu option you had to turn on in dead island but I can't see anything here

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I really like the simple effect they used to separate above water from under water. It's just an overlay, but it looks so much better than games where above water just pops into underwater, and if you linger in between it looks terrible.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sliding into a zombie and breaking its legs is so badass but if you miss you're screwed. How is grapple(?) where you can throw the zombies?
Yeah I can't wait to unlock that. I just got the dropkick last night and it's a ton of fun
Yeah, I can't wait to unlock these, still focus on fleshing out the actual movement abilities first though. Freerunning Adept really made a big difference.
SlasherJPC said:
Did any of the reviews even mention the grapple hook much? Seems like a pretty big thing.
I only see two reviews, right? It's a pretty late unlock... I'm still nowhere close. I expect Gamespot and IGN to mention it

The virals you mean? Makes sense to me. They are the special not stupid, 28 days later, fuck your shit up zombies.
But they're not fucking up my shit - they actively hold themselves back and fight defensively. It's too much intelligence for a rage zombie.
They're obviously doing they're own thing with the zombie strain here but it really irks me that these mindless Rage zombies aren't mindless at all - they're freakin martial arts experts lol

In any case, I am enjoying the game quite a bit. But my connection has been shit the past few days due to the storm so I haven't been able to do any coop yet. :(

I like this a lot, it feels like dead island but with more interesting mechanics and a bigger scope.

Is there a way to have the analogue control over weapon swipes like In dead island or is that gone? It was a menu option you had to turn on in dead island but I can't see anything here

They got rid of it. It's too bad, but it kinda makes sense seeing as how you now use the right stick to aim your jumps and whatnot. I loved it in Dead Island, but oddly enough don't find I'm really missing it here.

Ricker

Fuck this Gazi sidequest...after all the trouble getting his DVD and chocolate,I have to go through the roof now and I cant seem to find a way to get up there...

Grisby

Fuck this Gazi sidequest...after all the trouble getting his DVD and chocolate,I have to go through the roof now and I cant seem to find a way to get up there...
Head up
to the overpass above. Go off to the side and you can get on the underpass stuff and jump down.

jond76

Banned
They did really good with mission variety. Seems like things are always different enough to not be repetitive.

Found a quarantine zone that I could enter, but I was just about to leave for work and couldn't get into it.

I also found the Destiny loot cave Easter egg.haha

Little shack next to his place, if you jump just up there, and the look towards the building at the last minute jump towards it, you can grab the wood above the white boarded windows.

jond76

Banned

I ended up just timing a jump from the roof of the next building over. If you run on the apex of the roof and jump at the last second, you'll grab the siding plank on the side of Gazi's house. Good luck!

realcZk

Head up
to the overpass above. Go off to the side and you can get on the underpass stuff and jump down.

There's actually another (easier?) way, but it can take a few tries.

If you're facing Gazi's door, and turn right, theres a shack you can jump on. If you back up on the roof and stand on the very top part of the roof, sprint, and jump towards the house you can actually grab the wood plank right before the rooftop. It might take a few tries, but its definitely possible. From there, just jump up to the roof.

Grisby

Yeah, but my way also gets you access to a chest that has a purple item (for me it did) in it. Ha ha ha ha.

Sigh. I would have done the easier way.

nOoblet16

Why is it that the game lets you choose whether you want the crosshair (which is almost a pixel wide white coloured dot), but not give you the option to disable the HUD or lets you choose what part of HUD you want ? The HUD is full of a lot of useless crap, such as the XP meter and a few other things. No game should have a permanent un-hideable XP bar. The mini map also makes night time gameplay piss easy due to the cone of vision but I don't mind it much.

They go to great lengths to avoid the game world having colour coded switches, objects and places, allow the player to climb the way they want rather than through specific colour coded ledges etc etc. They even avoid marking the interactive objects and only do so when you press the X/A button for sense. Yet fill the HUD with a lot of faff that can't be selectively/completely switched or at least faded out and give you the option to remove a miniscule dot....Wtf Techland ?

realcZk

Yeah, but my way also gets you access to a chest that has a purple item (for me it did) in it. Ha ha ha ha.

Sigh. I would have done the easier way.

Haha, I tried getting up on that overpass for a bit, shuffling along the yellow pipes and all. Fell to my death 3/4 times and had to run all the way back to his house. Finally I said screw it and looked for alternative methods and got lucky with the shack attempt. That part had me confused for a while.

Well, after spending about 12 hours downloading it, I spent two to two and a half hours with the game this morning.

So far, it's alright. I'm certainly not blown away yet, but hopefully it'll get better.

It says I'm only 2% into the story, and I've really only done the first part and the first mission (which is surprisingly lengthy). That, and a couple of side missions and lots of exploring for things.

At first, I wasn't finding gauze, which really worried me because I'm a health nut in games. I always want to have a ton of med-kits or stuff to make them with. If that fails, money to buy them. And health is the first thing I upgrade.

Anyone know how long it is? I'm hoping to finish it by Friday or Saturday and get a review up.

Corpekata

Banned
PC folks is this game better with KB+M or controller?

It'll have more standard controls on KBAM since you can look where you're jumping easier, so pad controls bind jump to R1 (since a normal jump button would require taking your finger off the right analog).

It does have a lot of keys though, and some you'll want to rebind, such as B to look behind.

jond76

Banned
Haha, I tried getting up on that overpass for a bit, shuffling along the yellow pipes and all. Fell to my death 3/4 times and had to run all the way back to his house. Finally I said screw it and looked for alternative methods and got lucky with the shack attempt. That part had me confused for a while.

Haha. It's like I wrote this myself. Crazy.

Well, after spending about 12 hours downloading it, I spent two to two and a half hours with the game this morning.

So far, it's alright. I'm certainly not blown away yet, but hopefully it'll get better.

It says I'm only 2% into the story, and I've really only done the first part and the first mission (which is surprisingly lengthy). That, and a couple of side missions and lots of exploring for things.

At first, I wasn't finding gauze, which really worried me because I'm a health nut in games. I always want to have a ton of med-kits or stuff to make them with. If that fails, money to buy them. And health is the first thing I upgrade.

Anyone know how long it is? I'm hoping to finish it by Friday or Saturday and get a review up.

I think it's supposedly 30+ hours, more if you do a lot of side stuff.

I played about 3 hours today and I like it so far. Its so FUN
just one question, there is a mission which a guy want me to find him a gun. I have a rifle but still I cant do the mission. What should I do? I didn't find any handgun so far in the game

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
just one question, there is a mission which a guy want me to find him a gun. I have a rifle but still I cant do the mission. What should I do? I didn't find any handgun so far in the game

Put it on the backburner until you happen across a handgun.

I get more mileage out of keyboard and mouse. As said above, you need to rebind a few things for ease of access (mouse with extra buttons helps.) But the increased precision makes up for it.

Also, this game is fun and satisfying. Didn't pay attention to the hype so it's a pleasant surprise.

So has anybody else notice the the USB music player wont play music while playing the Game? I said something earlier in the thread but I think it got buried lol. Any way can someone else confirm that their's doesn't work either?
I'm not sure in Music Unlimited works or not.

Vladmiris

Little shack next to his place, if you jump just up there, and the look towards the building at the last minute jump towards it, you can grab the wood above the white boarded windows.

I got up by jumping on the trash cans next to his house and just climbing the wall.

There's a hand gun in a small house in the southeast corner of the map. On the map it's below an emblem of a crafting leaf.

Cels

i prefer kbm.

i think a small advantage using pad is that when you're close to the right spot while lockpicking the controller will vibrate. if your audio setup isn't that great or your hearing is bad it can help

Top Bottom