• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

SpaceHorror

Couple of questions.

When does the day night cycle start? After the prologue?

Is there a way to tell time beyond looking at the sun/noticing it getting darker?

Karak

Couple of questions.

When does the day night cycle start? After the prologue?

Is there a way to tell time beyond looking at the sun/noticing it getting darker?

Ya there is a mission where it begins.

You can tell it does get darker and also you can get radio transmissions that warn you when its getting dark. I loved that sense of community like everyone worrying about everyone else.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
6 hours in, game is really good. Granted I was a bit Dead Island fan (the first one), this is just a evolution of that game, with more story, quests, the parkour stuff (whic I cant imagine not having now) and a bunch more stuff.

Lvl 7 in survival (been doing all sidequests and rnadom encounters and shit), lvl 7 in combat (and I actually skip a lot) and only lvl 5 in agility boo (almost 6 tho)

just a fun fun game

Dajanksta

Banned
Ya there is a mission where it begins.

You can tell it does get darker and also you can get radio transmissions that warn you when its getting dark. I loved that sense of community like everyone worrying about everyone else.

If you pull up your inventory menu there is also a clock on the right hand side.

Dajanksta

Banned
6 hours in, game is really good. Granted I was a bit Dead Island fan (the first one), this is just a evolution of that game, with more story, quests, the parkour stuff (whic I cant imagine not having now) and a bunch more stuff.

Lvl 7 in survival (been doing all sidequests and rnadom encounters and shit), lvl 7 in combat (and I actually skip a lot) and only lvl 5 in agility boo (almost 6 tho)

just a fun fun game

Lol damn really? I feel like I avoid combat so much and I'm about 2 levels higher on agillity and survival than my combat :( lol. Gonna have to fight them more but agility goes up so easy everywhere I go I'm parkour'ing it up.

bryanee

Shitting hell night time is intense as fuck. I just go to bed as soon as hits night and carry on the following morning.

Karak

I really wish there was a way to just look at your watch control wise.

Agreed. I have been ok just keeping an eye on the sun but about 20 hours in I got into that little alcove with the boats and the little shanty town and because of the way it had high cliffs I could not tell how dark it really was. Then all of a sudden I got the warning call and I was so fucking far away from anything. It was a beautiful gameplay moment but high puckarage on the sphincter at times:)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Lol damn really? I feel like I avoid combat so much and I'm about 2 levels higher on agillity and survival than my combat :( lol. Gonna have to fight them more but agility goes up so easy everywhere I go I'm parkour'ing it up.

maybe because im sticking to ground level a lot and just sprinting past zombies.

quick tip: dont sleep on cop vans and medical vans (both are always locked so you usually need to clear out a bit, especially for the cop vans)

Shitting hell night time is intense as fuck. I just go to bed as soon as hits night and carry on the following morning.

fuck night time. and fuck those quarantine challenges too, i dont know if those are supposed to be for coop r what but jesus christ they are hard

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

just a fun fun game
ah, this is incredibly representative of one of the main points in my mini-review; lots of different approaches to situations and playstyle flexibility. I'm level 6 in Survival, 8 in Agility, 5 in Power.

one of the absolute main strengths of the game, don't see it getting a lot of mentions yet but I do hope reviews will point it out.

also night time is best time :D

Klyka

Banned
Is that music in the game or you added?

Great video

I added it. It's the same song they used for the reveal trailer back when the game was announced. i love that song and it has always been synonymous with Assassin's Creed and Freerunning in general to me. Now it's this game's song :D

Klyka

Banned
definitely saw you get into the flow in the latter half there :>

I'll be honest,recording actually makes it harder to play for me cause I lock it at 30 for that and I am not used to that at all. Hence me wiffing tons of jumps and button presses.

b0bbyJ03

Just came in to say that I love the fact that they added an option to adjust the deadzone. One of my pet peeves is a game with a large dead zone. It's one of the things that turns me off about destiny. Hope more games start doing this.

Yeah, I can't wait to unlock these, still focus on fleshing out the actual movement abilities first though. Freerunning Adept really made a big difference.

I only see two reviews, right? It's a pretty late unlock... I'm still nowhere close. I expect Gamespot and IGN to mention it

I've got the grapple, via a glitch that let me mad out my subclass and it's crazy useful, you pretty much never need to climb.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That's a little sad actually,I love the climbing.
well just because you can use something doesn't mean you always have to :)

sidenote: glitches that break progression in this game, I don't, uh. Does not appeal! But to each their own.

I was really excited to play this and UK PS store has really fucked up with this one.

Yeah totally.

Decided to just go and try and collect a few more trophies in Sleeping Dogs instead. I'm nearly at the point where my initial excitement is dying (pardon the pun) down and I might just wait for the disk version....

some reasons co-op with randoms is fun

- People want to communicate with a mic, because you need to, really. Its easy to make new friends
- One person can pick locks and other people get their back
- You have the option to fast travel to the start point of activity X, but it isn't forced
- 3 or 4 communicating can own the invasions it just needs team work
- Having one person hunt or distract the hunter and the other 3 destroy eggs is awesome
- Loot is individual, destiny style, you don't loot steal. But you can share stuff you don't want, unlike destiny
- Sandbox zombie fighting is fun, even to watch

some minor issues:

- you might be standing around a bit, as completionists tend to want to check everywhere, fiddle with their inventory, etc, instead of just getting on with it.
- or, to put it another way, sometimes starting some activity feels like a sunday morning early start for a family. "just a minute.." "I gotta go get .." "are you ready? where are you". etc.

some reasons co-op with randoms is fun

- People want to communicate with a mic, because you need to, really. Its easy to make new friends
- One person can pick locks and other people get their back
- You have the option to fast travel to the start point of activity X, but it isn't forced
- 3 or 4 communicating can own the invasions it just needs team work
- Having one person hunt or distract the hunter and the other 3 destroy eggs is awesome
- Loot is individual, destiny style, you don't loot steal. But you can share stuff you don't want, unlike destiny
- Sandbox zombie fighting is fun, even to watch

some minor issues:

- you might be standing around a bit, as completionists tend to want to check everywhere, fiddle with their inventory, etc, instead of just getting on with it.
- or, to put it another way, sometimes starting some activity feels like a sunday morning early start for a family. "just a minute.." "I gotta go get .." "are you ready? where are you". etc.

Jumping in tonight. Thanks for the impressions.

Corpekata

Banned
Went swimming and found a dead human woman in a bikini floating underwater. First "normal" looking corpse I've come across so was kinda jarring.

May pick this up tonight. How is the learning curve (movement)? I had a hard time with mirrors edge remembering the controls when I was running around. Running away from zombies may make me a bit more prone to being lost

Corpekata

Banned
May pick this up tonight. How is the learning curve (movement)? I had a hard time with mirrors edge remembering the controls when I was running around. Running away from zombies may make me a bit more prone to being lost

It's not nearly as complicated as Mirror's Edge as you're not doing much in the way of wall running or jumps. Just gotta look at the area you want and hold the jump button mainly.

Klyka

Banned
It's not nearly as complicated as Mirror's Edge as you're not doing much in the way of wall running or jumps. Just gotta look at the area you want and hold the jump button mainly.

Well, until you go to the second area and you have wall running and the grapple hook unlocked as well as other neat stuff.
Then you can string together stuff that can easily compete with Mirror's Edge. (Which in the end is only super smooth because it's levels consist of straight lines that DICE polished the fuck out of.)

Wow this game is awesome. I saw a crate drop surrounded by henchman and I pulled out my AK and they held their hands up in fear as I robbed them and backed away slowly, never to be seen again. Such a cool unscripted moment.

Corpekata

Banned
Well, until you go to the second area and you have wall running and the grapple hook unlocked as well as other neat stuff.
Then you can string together stuff that can easily compete with Mirror's Edge. (Which in the end is only super smooth because it's levels consist of straight lines that DICE polished the fuck out of.)

Well, you can do lots of cool stuff, but it's not exactly required like it is with Mirror's Edge. Like there's an old joke about how a lot of people quit ME on the first level because of a tough jump. Won't be a barrier in DL really.

GravyButt

For the companion app, what do they mean by "before you send new package, make sure to obtain previous package in dying light"

Im assuming whatever I send in a pkg through the companion app is whats sent to the game? Also, where/how do we collect it in the game? Thanks!

jond76

Banned
Wow this game is awesome. I saw a crate drop surrounded by henchman and I pulled out my AK and they held their hands up in fear as I robbed them and backed away slowly, never to be seen again. Such a cool unscripted moment.

That's actually really cool. I just threw a Molotov at them. Haha

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well, you can do lots of cool stuff, but it's exactly required like it is with Mirror's Edge. Like there's an old joke about how a lot of people quit ME on the first level because of a tough jump. Won't be a barrier in DL really.
Definitely.

The complexity and abilities are there, it's just optional.

Oh shit I feel stupid. I let people know about getting EXPcalibur but completely missed the fact that
the blueprint for it is under the body you get it from once its burned away

Thank god for coop and being able to get two lol.

Megatron

That is awesome. And In other games you might mow them down anyway, but in this game you were probably grateful to save the bullets.

Top Bottom