• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

iWin

Neo Member
I am a few hours in and really enjoying it. To me, this a mid tier game. The kind everyone says is dying. Hope it does well so that we see more.

Cool.. I was actually shocked that worked. I didn't know if the cannister things were just decoration or actually explosive

I figure once this game's been out for a while people will be coming up with CRAZY ways to fuck with the world, especially in co-op. Should make for some entertaining videos and GIFS

antitrop

I had a one on one Night Hunter match, where I was the survivor. It was an absolute beatdown as the hunter became the hunted, I was chasing him down with the UV light and smackin' the shit out of him with a Nailed Cricket Bat. The only time he ever got me was when I was preoccupied with smashing the Nests.

jond76

Banned
First thing in gonna do when I start playing tonight is tackle one of those quarantine zones.

The school mission is a fantastic showcase for how great the music is in this game.

Anung

Un Rama
Wait so I know they screwed up the disc for you guys by a month but what is going on with the online version for you now?

I bought it (money went out) and now it has disappeared completely from the PS Store, in my library I have it and the zombie mode but it says there is no application. They haven't been clear about whats going on with loads of mixed information.

Went against my better judgement by going digital. Can't say I'm impressed.

Dajanksta

Banned
I bought it (money went out) and now it has disappeared completely from the PS Store, in my library I have it and the zombie mode but it says there is no application. They haven't been clear about whats going on with loads of mixed information.

Went against my better judgement by going digital. Can't say I'm impressed.

Damn sorry bro that sucks. I haven't had a problem going digital yet. Luckily over here I bought the hard copy. =\

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
It's funny as to me whilst it feels like Dead Island, in so many ways it also doesn't. The big reason for me is that in Dead Island/Dead Island Riptide I loooooved the analog melee system where you used the right stick to actually swing your weapon up, down etc. It's clunky at first but then you become a pro with it and it's incredibly satisfying. Yet Dying Light is so focused on movement, hitting quickly etc it feels in many ways a very different game. You can tell there's a higher budget behind and more time - animations are better, everything moves smoother and I'm really impressed with the flow of movement. If anything I think Techland have set a new bar for smooth free flowing first person parkour and it's really sad that it took someone 8 years to actually have another go, and actually do it well in an open world setting. Looking at the upgrade paths as well, there's some good stuff in their I'm looking forward to using which should make movement traversal even better. As someone who has a soft spot for Techlands games (The Cartel excepted) this is pretty polished for them!

First thing in gonna do when I start playing tonight is tackle one of those quarantine zones.

The school mission is a fantastic showcase for how great the music is in this game.

I just finished that level and was going to say the same thing. Hearing the zombies screaming all about the place with the music pumping was damned perfect.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
When I came to work, I checked my story % and it was 8% with 6 hours or so. Lolwhut >_>

I'm sure the game isn't 60+ hours, games always do this with early percentages but I thought it was funny

Karak

Cool.. I was actually shocked that worked. I didn't know if the cannister things were just decoration or actually explosive

They are and there are some other traps and trap combos you can use later in the game. The extra stuff like firecrackers, ninja stars, and things around the world are NOT just filler. Its pretty awesome actually. For example I found that if you drop a propane tank next to any kind of slightly ramped object and blow it up you can send zombies into the fucking stratosphere instantly as they jet off the ramp. But as they go they take out others with them so even 1 can become a fiery zombie bowling ball for the others.

Need help on Pact with Ries Mission (envelope)
how the fuck do I take out the gunner?! ive died about 4 times now worth 1600 survival points (wtf are survival points for)

I feel confused because I am loving this game but most of my friends are very "meh" about it.

I haven't disagreed with them as much this gen as I do now regarding this game.

Need help on Pact with Ries Mission (envelope)
how the fuck do I take out the gunner?! ive died about 4 times now worth 1600 survival points (wtf are survival points for)

Survival points is your EXP, if you keep dying you actually delevel.

I took out the gunner by going to the side, there's a cliff above the gunner. I just threw a molotov and he died and I jumped in and got his gun.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
This game started strong and just keeps getting better with every skill upgrade. Drop kicking, pushing charging zombies into walls... So much fun!

Mononoke

Banned
So how is most people on GAF feeling about it? Positive? I'm considering getting this now. But am worried that it will be tedious or boring. It seems the technical performance isn't an issue (that was my concern at launch). So now I'm just curious how the game itself is. If it stays fun and has mission variety.

Loved ZombiU btw.

Edit: going to take a risk. Bought it.

Dajanksta

Banned
I just wanna smash zombies up and go fast ;_;

128x128x1f61e-google-android.png.pagespeed.ic.s_Zq34J1cg.png

I'll game extra hard for you. In your honor.

I think this game is way more interesting and better skill unlocks then say something like Shadow of Mordor, even though both games take aspects from other open world titles as well (aside from Mordor using the interesting yet undercooked nemesis system) and everyone praised the crap out of that game. So not sure why people see this game and think. "Meh it's all the same"

Karak

So how is most people on GAF feeling about it? Positive? I'm considering getting this now. But am worried that it will be tedious or boring. It seems the technical performance isn't an issue (that was my concern at launch). So now I'm just curious how the game itself is. If it stays fun and has mission variety.

Loved ZombiU btw.

Excellent post back what you think of it in a couple hours. I can totally see the mission variety turning people off it thats a hotspot for them. If you take the entire game into account its mostly fine but it doesn't do anything amazing or new in that regard. Other than a couple missions where it seemed like the missions were just go and collect or go and shoot that I loved.

DirtyLarry

Okay I must be a total idiot. Just had to climb by first radio tower. Got up to the top no problem, but for the life of me, I could not figure how one gets down????
I am playing on the PS4, so once in awhile I saw the Square prompt for ladders to climb down, but for ledges???? I was no doubt holding R1 but I was not grabbing anything while falling down. Is there a trick to it or something?

So am I missing something super obvious?? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Would really suck if I Have to just die everytime I get to the top of a radio tower LOL

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Loved ZombiU btw.

it's really good. the only thing I don't know yet is how good.
Okay I must be a total idiot. Just had to climb by first radio tower. Got up to the top no problem, but for the life of me, I could not figure how one gets down????
I am playing on the PS4, so once in awhile I saw the Square prompt for ladders to climb down, but for ledges???? I was no doubt holding R1 but I was not grabbing anything while falling down. Is there a trick to it or something?

So am I missing something super obvious?? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Would really suck if I Have to just die everytime I get to the top of a radio tower LOL
There's a ladder and a black cable/wire you can slide down, depending on which level you are.

You CAN grab ledges on the way down by holding R1 though. Don't know if you might need some upgrade (I definitely already had Freerunning Adept already the first time I did it). Might just need to practice

I was wrong before, my power is at 4. Closing in on Level 10 Agility

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

Zipline.

Corpekata

Banned

There's ziplines down. If you mean the VERY top of the tower (usually has a flag) you'll have to just sort of fall down to something safely until you reach the ziplines.

Only just started the game (just unlocked coop, enjoying it so far), I don't want to spoil the game for myself by reading too far ahead into the skill trees, but could someone tell me is there wall-running in this (like Mirror's Edge)? At the moment I'm only climbing ledges and jumping from rooftop to rooftop, can't even run and slide. I'm hoping there will be more parkour moves to unlock later on?

EDIT: Thanks for the answers below.

Mononoke

Banned
Excellent post back what you think of it in a couple hours. I can totally see the mission variety turning people off it thats a hotspot for them. If you take the entire game into account its mostly fine but it doesn't do anything amazing or new in that regard. Other than a couple missions where it seemed like the missions were just go and collect or go and shoot that I loved.

Will do! It's downloading now. I'm quite excited to try this out. :)

Corpekata

Banned
Only just started the game (just unlocked coop, enjoying it so far), I don't want to spoil the game for myself by reading too far ahead into the skill trees, but could someone tell me is there wall-running in this (like Mirror's Edge)? At the moment I'm only climbing ledges and jumping from rooftop to rooftop, can't even run and slide. I'm hoping there will be more parkour moves to unlock later on?

There's more moves. One of the earliest is the run and slide.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It's funny as to me whilst it feels like Dead Island, in so many ways it also doesn't. The big reason for me is that in Dead Island/Dead Island Riptide I loooooved the analog melee system where you used the right stick to actually swing your weapon up, down etc.

I only tried the first Dead Island and it was on PC with a 360 pad, but I don't remember the melee being like that at all. I thought it was just right trigger to melee.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
A huge amount. I can't specifically vouch for wall-running a la Mirror's Edge but there is this

edit: wait, i almost just spoiled a skill for you -_-

"something," however that works, and vaults, impact rolls, better climbing, overall agility, attacks while running etc

Dajanksta

Banned
Yep, I was at the very top.
And that is the something obvious I missed. THANK YOU. Off to the second tower so it will be very helpful not to plummet to my death again.

Lol damn. I just jump down the same way I climbed and grabbed onto the ledges as I was falling. I'm a pro at falling down them now. lol had no idea there was a zipline hahahaha.

antitrop

Nah, it's like constantly like that wherever I go. It started right when I was turning on the power and that giant zombie busts out of a garage. I'm gonna try rebooting my ps4 and see if that fixes

I'm telling you that's normal. It's supposed to represent disorientation at the zombie suddenly bursting out of the garage. Or running out of stamina. Rebooting the console won't fix a design choice.

Top Bottom