• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

There's more moves. One of the earliest is the run and slide.

A huge amount. I can't specifically vouch for wall-running a la Mirror's Edge but there is this

edit: wait, i almost just spoiled a skill for you -_-

"something," however that works, and vaults, impact rolls, better climbing, overall agility, attacks while running etc
Ha no problem, I don't actually mind spoilers all that much but I like to be surprised by cool new moves. Thanks for the courtesy. Good to know there is a lot more upgrades to look forward to.

I'm telling you that's normal. It's supposed to represent disorientation at the zombie suddenly bursting out of the garage. Or running out of stamina. Rebooting the console won't fix a design choice.

I'm not running anywhere, though. Even when I wake up from a safe house in the morning it's like I'm using drunk controls

Edit: I closed the game and started up again to fix it. Maybe it was stuck in that state for whatever reason

Rafterman

Banned
This game started strong and just keeps getting better with every skill upgrade. Drop kicking, pushing charging zombies into walls... So much fun!

It is fun, and I'm shocked I like it so much. I didn't like Dead Island at all, and the only reason I picked it up was because of the $20 snafu at Gamestop, but I've been having a blast. Half the time I'm not even doing the missions, I'm just running/jumping around and killing zombies.

antitrop

I'm not running anywhere, though. Even when I wake up from a safe house in the morning it's like I'm using drunk controls

Edit: I closed the game and started up again to fix it. Maybe it was stuck in that state for whatever reason

Huh, fair enough. It does happen a lot, though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It is fun, and I'm shocked I like it so much. I didn't like Dead Island at all, and the only reason I picked it up was because of the $20 snafu at Gamestop, but I've been having a blast. Half the time I'm not even doing the missions, I'm just running/jumping around and killing zombies.
gaining xp for doing parkour stuff is brilliant, i can't stop.
the upgrades in agility lessen the frequency of that occurring while sprinting

Dubz

This game is really fun, and I'm actually liking the whole premise of being
a double agent

I really like the parkour system, and the hand to hand combat has a good weighty feel to it. I'm only 11% done! but I can already tell that I'm going to love this game. I still haven't even tried co-op. Is it fun?

Oh yeah I forgot to mention how great the soundtrack is. It's like playing the lead role in an 80s zombie flick.

Yeah, a bit strange considering I hadn't ever experienced the sluggish effect before that time.

On the plus side, the game is getting more fun at night. Gives me that constantly watching over my shoulder feeling from my favorite zombie game ever, zombie u

I am a few hours in and really enjoying it. To me, this a mid tier game. The kind everyone says is dying. Hope it does well so that we see more.

I really cannot disagree with you. But IMO, it is a Mid Tier game with the production values and feels of a AAA title. The music is awesome and the sound design is solid. You have a pretty large world with multiple missions, side missions, fetch missions, crafting, leveling up. All the "Standard AAA" bullet points are there.

Regardless, it is very very fun. I haven't even jumped into Co -Op yet.

Add me up on PSN if anyone wants to give Co-Op a run!

PSN = Filth_Flannigan

tuna_love

Banned
I am really feeling this game. 4 player co op where every cunt is just Mario bouncing of heads then drop kicking zombies is fucking amazing to watch.

Bad7667

If I didnt like Dead Island much will I like this game? I didnt hate the game but i dont tihnk i played it longer than 5 hours before getting completely bored.

antitrop, how you liking the game? I usually agree with you so would like to here your thoughts.

J.T

Banned
I've enjoyed the first 9 hours I put in so far. Haven't gotten very far just only beat the 3 Main Mission and a few side quest. It's been all solo cuz whenever I joined Co-op I get smashed by hunters.

SeanTSC

So, due to being sick/insomnia/etc I ended up playing this from about 6pm PST last night until 4pm PST tonight. That's roughly 22 hours straight.

Absolutely love this game. It's just plain fun as hell. It's also very polished, I haven't run into any major bugs at all except for the silly Dupe Glitch and only couple minor instances of bad pathing. It's a very stark contrast to Dead Island, which was buggy as all hell and by far one of the most broken games I've ever played. It's also a fairly good looking game and runs very smoothly.

I love Dead Island and Dead Island Riptide despite them being broken, buggy, kinda bad games. I didn't have high expectations of Dying Light at all, but I figured I'd have fun with it. I ended up falling in love yet again and I just totally adore this game. It's a very well crafted experience and a huge step up in quality for Techland as a studio. I can't wait to play more of it, but I'm pretty sure I should pass out and sleep first.

I have absolutely no complaints about this game what so ever. It's just solid and fun.

antitrop

On the plus side, the game is getting more fun at night. Gives me that constantly watching over my shoulder feeling from my favorite zombie game ever, zombie u

The act of literally looking over your shoulder while sprinting is quite well done in this game. :)

Especially once you can throw shit at them

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

I'm doing the same thing. Once you unlock the basic combat skills, killing zombies is tons of fun.

3 times now I've been making my way to an objective that is like 200 meters away and its hit nighttime before I got there because I was killing so many zombies.

The act of literally looking over your shoulder while sprinting is quite well done in this game. :)

Especially once you can throw shit at them

I think this is one of the best features in the game. Just that act of being chased down and being able to look back. It adds to the game.

Kneecap

If you pull up your inventory menu there is also a clock on the right hand side.

My wife says i suffer from male looking behavior dysfunction, so that's my excuse if i ask where exactly is this clock? I'm playing on pc and i can't for the life of me see it.

Dying Light? More like Dying FLIGHT!

GIF
vQl92M.gif

Webm
http://share.gifyoutube.com/vQl92M.webm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb1y2trN9rA&t=3s

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
My wife says i suffer from male looking behavior dysfunction, so that's my excuse if i ask where exactly is this clock? I'm playing on pc and i can't for the life of me see it.

Top right of the menu as soon as you open it. Not the start menu obviously - but the map and skills screen.

Been playing coop with my buddies who all left Destiny to get into Dying Light and i've been having a blast. Word of caution... adjust your bravado if you do a lot of coop and then decide to grind out some levels of Agility in the dark once they log off for the night.

I passed up two safe zones on my way to home base and holyshitfuck I almost broke my controller in two i was white knuckling so hard by the time i got there. If i hadn't memorized the couple of blocks around that tower by this time I could have easily imagined myself as zombie food!! Absolutely nothing in the world quite like making a jump from one building to the next, looking behind you in slomo while you do and seeing 5 fucking volatiles all hot on your heels.

OoooOooOoHHHHWEEE boy. this game is aces.

So what are the best weapons and why and can they be repaired. Just got Excalibur but what does it do besides alot of damage and can i repair it

Grisby

Damn, night is supposed to be this difficult right? Those super zombies gangbang me in a hurry. My weapons did nothing, :(

At least it doesn't seem like you lose XP.

Two other questions:
1)When a weapon has no repairs left its done right? No bringing it back from the dead?
2)Are valuables junk items? Any reason to keep all these pouches or coffee or whatever?

NateDrake

Does the game save your upgrades and progress when you play online co-op? As in: if I join a game with friends, does all my character progress save? I assume game won't if I haven't reached their point in the game yet.

Damn, night is supposed to be this difficult right? Those super zombies gangbang me in a hurry. My weapons did nothing, :(

Two other questions:
1)When a weapon has no repairs left its done right? No bringing it back from the dead?
2)Are valuables junk items? Any reason to keep all these pouches or coffee or whatever?

No uses for the junk that i know of so sell away

I didn't think this game could be emotionally resonant, but then I talked to that one cute female survivor in a safe zone about how Jade inspired her to stay strong after the death of her sister.

And then, hours later, I randomly found that same girl's corpse floating in the water below a high cliff.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Zombair

You do lose Survival XP, there are 3 kinds of XP.

You can't fight volatiles with standard weapons at all. they're insane. RUN.
http://zippy.gfycat.com/WhichLiquidHadrosaurus.webm http://zippy.gfycat.com/AccurateThisAtlanticsharpnosepuffer.webm
Two other questions:
Yeah, byebye.
just RPG junk to sell.

Grisby

No uses for the junk that i know of so sell away
Will do.
Zombair

You do lose Survival XP, there are 3 kinds of XP.

You can't fight volatiles with standard weapons at all. they're insane. RUN.
http://zippy.gfycat.com/WhichLiquidHadrosaurus.webm http://zippy.gfycat.com/AccurateThisAtlanticsharpnosepuffer.webm

Yeah, byebye.

just RPG junk to sell.
NIce gifs. Well, when I died at night after the last mission it never brought up the 'lost xp' message that usually gets brought up.

-MD-

What is with this dude's fingers?

fingers.gif

Also this gas can was glitched the fuck out, whenever my buddy would pick it up it would float around in front or above him and it let me take it while he was holding it but not the other way around. Wouldn't let either of us blow it up no matter what we did to it.

250046.gif

13b342.gif

Zukuu

Banned
So the games seems to be a bit RPG-ish, which means it got my interest.
Is there a full fledged story single player? How fleshed out is the RPG system? Is there story co op, and if yes, how is it?

Grisby

Found a pistol and oh lawd. Not gonna hand it in to doofus at the tower until I find a second one.

Ive unlocked so many police cars hoping it get another, but nope. Say a prayer gaf for my busted lockpicks.

-MD-

Is there a full fledged story single player? How fleshed out is the RPG system? Is there story co op, and if yes, how is it?

Did you play Dead Island? It's pretty much like that.

Instead of characters having unique individual talent trees everyone plays the same character & gets the same 3 trees to dump skill points into. Yes there is campaign coop, it's pretty fun.

Story itself seems pretty throwaway so far 5-6 hours into it. Mostly bland characters making you run around and find things for them so far.

Zukuu

Banned
Did you play Dead Island? It's pretty much like that.

Instead of characters having unique individual talent trees everyone plays the same character & gets the same 3 trees to dump skill points into. Yes there is campaign coop, it's pretty fun.

Story itself seems pretty throwaway so far 5-6 hours into it. Mostly bland characters making you run around and find things for them so far.
Yeah, played Dead Island in a group as well. Was pretty fun for the most part.
Seems I have to look into the game, once it's a bit cheaper and get my friends together.

Encountered a glitch where I fell through the map after doing a slide between fences..
dropped me into water below the map then I swam to the nearest "land" just to fall to my death and lose 600 survivor points.
10/10 would redo again

Dajanksta

Banned
Found a pistol and oh lawd. Not gonna hand it in to doofus at the tower until I find a second one.

Ive unlocked so many police cars hoping it get another, but nope. Say a prayer gaf for my busted lockpicks.

Hahahaha! Right on man. I'm searching for one and when I get it I might give it up to him. I want what he has in that hidden place!!

I fucking HATE those guys with a passion. Last night there were 2 of them near a locked police van, and I wanted to get in the van. So here I am trying to lockpick and lure them away, but they keep coming up. So I separate them, kill one, and I see on my screen "Loud noise attracts Ferals." I fucking book it to this little rocky cliff on the side of the street and watch as a feral runs to the van. So here I'm thinking...goddamit. The Gas suit guy is next to me, so I kill him, and another feral comes. And now I have 2 of them on me. I molotov one of them, smack the other one. I end up running into a pitch black tunnel and using a bus to kinda kite them, and kill one of them. The burnt one is still after me, but he's a bit more...cautious? He's just standing there looking at me with my pipe. I have to go to him to smack him and he kinda dodges pretty well. I kill him after taking some damage.

I go back to the van, and get a wrench and enforcer mod. Dammit. I want a gun.

stufte

Loving the game so far, the only complaint I have is that zombies aren't really a problem in the daytime once you get a decent weapon/parkour upgrade. And explosive shuriken. Damn.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Loving the game so far, the only complaint I have is that zombies aren't really a problem in the daytime once you get a decent weapon/parkour upgrade. And explosive shuriken. Damn.

Minor spoiler followed by a bigger one:

As you progress there are unique zombie types that appear during the day,
specifically,
a spitter who hucks acid at you, a bloater who explodes for massive damage at significant range, dunno what else yet. Climbers who run also become more frequent.

DirtyLarry

Lol damn. I just jump down the same way I climbed and grabbed onto the ledges as I was falling. I'm a pro at falling down them now. lol had no idea there was a zipline hahahaha.

I'm very glad I asked this. And I never was able to successfully grab a ledge while falling and I tried it plenty of time LOL so consider it a skill no doubt.

I am really, really enjoying the hell out of the game so far. I truly am. So glad I decided to pick it up.

So what is the consensus, is the be the zombie mode is worth checking out?

Dajanksta

Banned
I'm very glad I asked this. And I never was able to successfully grab a ledge while falling and I tried it plenty of time LOL so consider it a skill no doubt.

I am really, really enjoying the hell out of the game so far. I truly am. So glad I decided to pick it up.

So what is the consensus, is the be the zombie mode is worth checking out?

Lol made it on my first try. Now I just need more people to play co op with. Dajanksta is my psn errbody.

Rafterman

Banned
I'm doing the same thing. Once you unlock the basic combat skills, killing zombies is tons of fun.

3 times now I've been making my way to an objective that is like 200 meters away and its hit nighttime before I got there because I was killing so many zombies.

Yep, I have total ADHD when it comes to the main missions. I'll be on my way and the next thing I know I'm veering off in a completely different direction.

There is a full fledged story, and the skill trees are absolutely massive, with little bloat.

Top Bottom