• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

And another one!

GIF
vpjdZ9.gif

Webm
http://share.gifyoutube.com/vpjdZ9.webm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5xsKL4xSV4

Sold. Will pick this up Physical next month. First sleeper hit of the year I think aha

goonergaz

The traversal system in this game makes playing any other game so hard to do.

1. I want to press R1 to jump whereas every other freaking game it's X

2. I feel like I'm stuck in molasses. Started up BF4 to play with buddies and holy cow was it weird the first 10 minutes readjusting to "normal" controls. :)

Not saying it's a bad thing (because it's not), just kind of funny.

yeah the R1 thing is weird - I assume it can be changed tho?

Mista

Banned
Exact same glitch/exploit was in Dead Island. looks like techland just left it in. Not sure if I want to use it again TBH but it could come in handy when playing co-op for sharing kick-ass weapons.

Can't wait to pick this up tonight.

Exactly it was in Dead Island too

Dommel

yeah the R1 thing is weird - I assume it can be changed tho?

It's not weird after you've played for 10-15 minutes. You need to look at ledges you want to jump to/hang on to. Anything else than a shoulder button would make this very impractical while running and being chased because you'd have to let go of the right stick to press X or A.

Night time is pretty intense. About halfway through night there's a moment with intense darkness where you can't see infront of you. I'm kinda disappointed that the uh, Volatiles have a cone of vision, I wouldn't mind if they patched that out. Make it more intense.

The vision cones make night time a lot easier. I just watch the map as I run and make sure I never enter a vision cone.

If you do get seen at night drop a flare behind you and continue to run you will almost always loose the zombies. I gain a level in Agility almost ever night.

It's not weird after you've played for for 10-15 minutes. You need to look at ledges you want to jump to/hang on to. Anything else than a shoulder button would make this very impractical while running and being chased because you'd have to let go of the right stick to press X or A.

I agree 100%. I just wish I could change the four shoulder buttons to a layout that would make more sense to me:
L1 - Jump
L2 - Use Throwable
R1 - Kick
R2 - Attack

There's no option to make this the control scheme and I find myself constantly wasting throwables trying to jump.

So conflicted right now, love zombie games, want to play it, but digital and £10 more...if they hadn't screwed up the digital launch I would have got it yesterday, but now I'm like thinking it's a lot of money...gah.

It doesn't help seeing awesome positive comments and some amazing videos...

fortunately it does seem to have come back onto the PSN store... took them long enough to fix that. I do wonder if the sales of this game are going to be drastically damaged by this whole debacle.

Finally got it to download, I gameshare with my brother and for some reason it's taken off the store in the EU. What we did was, got him to download a random item like a theme and the game off the PS Companion app. Once I booted up my console it started downloading on mine. Once it was fully installed, I had to deactivate his account as primary on my console, activate on his and do the same as above. Reactivate it on both like normal and restore licenses. Should be good to go then. Really strange fuckup techland/sony have made here though.

jfoul

It's not weird after you've played for 10-15 minutes. You need to look at ledges you want to jump to/hang on to. Anything else than a shoulder button would make this very impractical while running and being chased because you'd have to let go of the right stick to press X or A.

It felt weird for me at first, but now I can never go back to a face button mapped to jump. My thumb never leaves the right stick to jump, climb and dodge. I have full control of my character while doing all of my frequently used actions.

Got hit with the bug that erases all items, skills and money. 12 hours down the drain.

same. But you should in turn get the survivor skill tree maxed out. After i got hit by that bug i for some reason got the max number of skill points needed to get everything in the survivor skill tree. It was super weird. Also use the item cloning glitch to make back your money. I chose to do that since i lost so much progress with weapons and money and i managed to make it all back and then some in a few mins with the glitch.

pahamrick

same. But you should in turn get the survivor skill tree maxed out. After i got hit by that bug i for some reason got the max number of skill points needed to get everything in the survivor skill tree. It was super weird. Also use the item cloning glitch to make back your money. I chose to do that since i lost so much progress with weapons and money and i managed to make it all back and then some in a few mins with the glitch.
Didn't get any extra skill points, all level 1 and zero points. Just going to start over once the patch hits because I lost all my blueprints and can't make med kits, ect.

This x1000

Think BumperJumper from Halo :)

Ardenyal

Anyone have tips for Dying Lunch third challenge? (30 headshots in 1 minute 30 seconds)

I swear this is impossible on console. Would be easy if you could shoot zombies farther than 15 meters but they arent counted by the challenge.

foxdvd

Alright, played a bit of the invasion mode, being invaded. I think the matchmaking is broke. I was solo and when I got invaded like 8 people tried to connect. So it tried to match me up with like 8 hunters. This also explains why I found it very hard to connect to someone as the invader, it's not matching people right.

However there appears to be no timer to delay invasions, as I was invaded right afterward.

It is probably worth getting invaded at least once, if you're curious, as you get a blueprint and material out of it. At least if you won, like I did. Didn't look at what it did though since I got invaded right after and I didn't want to deal with it.

But yeah, it's a bit borked at the moment. Fun enough, but they need a timer on it (maybe get invaded once per night).

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that there will be more people trying to invade than letting people invade. The first time you get slammed over and over at night you turn it off.

Kneecap

Top right of the menu as soon as you open it. Not the start menu obviously - but the map and skills screen.

Thanks for telling me how to find the clock. Just a note: the clock does not appear in your inventory HUD until you've completed the first airdrop mission early in the game. Since I like to explore i was 6 hours in until I did that mission so the clock was not available to me until then. Of course, you don't need the clock until after that mission, but for anyone else who wonders where it is, this may be the reason.

SpaceHorror

Anyone have tips for dealing with multiple human enemies? I've just been throwing molotovs on them if I have any, but whenever I fight a group of them with a melee weapon they always block, crowd me, and beat me down from all sides.

If I'm fighting one or two I try to lead them to zombies which is always fun.

jond76

Banned
Anyone have tips for dealing with multiple human enemies? I've just been throwing molotovs on them if I have any, but whenever I fight a group of them with a melee weapon they always block, crowd me, and beat me down from all sides.

The grapple redirect is a godsend in those situations. I'll throw one and follow him and beat him with my hammer or whatever. It's ridiculously brutal.

Think about it guys: if you could jump with X, you'd be taking your hand off the right stick to jump all the time. Part of the immersion comes from adapting to using R1 to jump so you can keep looking around for ledges to grab all the time. That last second adjustment to the right stick can mean the difference between death and life. They mapped jump to the bumper for a reason.

Erban1

Buy the dodge ability asap, when they attack side step it and immediately swing your weapon. Drop kicking also works, though it doesn't always knock them down.

Anyone manage to kill a Volatile? I chased one at dawn for several blocks, and cornered it in some dark under pass. I was half expecting a nest was there waiting for me.

Any PS4 folks looking to do some co op? Would love to find at least three others to do 5 consecutive missions and assorted challenges for the multiplayer trophies. Up for general mayhem as well of course!

PSN: Teasing_Pink

pahamrick

I was using the leg breaker perk, forget the exact name. Sprint and slide into them, 1hit kill 90% of the time.

WITHE1982

I'm liking what I've seen so far and I love zombie games, but I'm really on the fence about buying this right now or holding off for a few more reviews to drop.

I really enjoyed Dead Island but for some reason hated Riptide. I prefer exploring every nook and cranny and gathering supplies rather than flat out combat so would this game be suited to my style of play?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Any tips on taking out the big dudes with the cement block hammers?

I've just been molotoving them, but it takes like 5-6 to kill them. I tried engaging them in melee by using the jump-dodge, but even after wacking them in the head with my fire cricket bat like 10 times they still didn't go down...

Quikies83

I'm liking what I've seen so far and I love zombie games, but I'm really on the fence about buying this right now or holding off for a few more reviews to drop.

I really enjoyed Dead Island but for some reason hated Riptide. I prefer exploring every nook and cranny and gathering supplies rather than flat out combat so would this game be suited to my style of play?
I'd say this game is for you

Ooccoo

Is it me or the quarantine zones are extremely hard? I was streaming earlier and entered a supermarket with water and electricity "traps." I think I died 20 times there before giving up.

Quikies83

I've just been molotoving them, but it takes like 5-6 to kill them. I tried engaging them in melee by using the jump-dodge, but even after wacking them in the head with my fire cricket bat like 10 times they still didn't go down...
Takes a while but I found a combination of drop kick, one melee hit, dodge back, get running start for drop kick, repeat.

BeeDog

Finally managed to overcome all the initial download issues, and started out.

The game gives a good first impression in the tutorial area; the menus are cohesive and nice-looking, the game seems to have character and the environmental details are solid so far. Can't wait for the slow-ass PSN download to finish so I can leave the tutorial area and go exploring.

The dodging and hitting will work, just takes a while until you have good weapons. You can also try to stand on top of a low building, lure them close, and stab them in the head from above while they stand still below.

Firecrackers near propane tanks can work too, they will swing at the firecrackers and detonate the tanks. Takes some luck though, not all of their attacks will hit the tanks, and of course, it's loud.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Takes a while but I found a combination of drop kick, one melee hit, dodge back, get running start for drop kick, repeat.

Is the drop kick supposed to briefly stun them? I have the upgrade drop kick, and it seems to do nothing to the hulk guys...

WITHE1982

I'd say this game is for you

Sold. Didn't take much convincing to be honest. Now if I don't love it I'll be blaming you buddy ;-)

*shrug* "I love zombie games." Normally with "on the fence" posts like this I advise caution. But honestly buy the shit out of it. If you're disappointed please do come back and post about it, I'd be absolutely shocked.

High praise indeed from you mate. I've always enjoyed your posts on the Destiny threads so rate your opinion very highly (that's enough d*ck sucking). I'll pick this up on my way home tonight.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I agree 100%. I just wish I could change the four shoulder buttons to a layout that would make more sense to me:
L1 - Jump
L2 - Use Throwable
R1 - Kick
R2 - Attack

There's no option to make this the control scheme and I find myself constantly wasting throwables trying to jump.
That's what I want!!!

R1 isn't so bad though. It's starting to become more natural, I just don't think swapping R1 and L1 would have been a bad option to include at all.

The controls themselves regardless of the button layout are impressing me more and more. They're very precise and reliable. In the first two hours I was worried that either the parkour mechanics or the controls were clunky or underdeveloped... but it was my character who was underdeveloped. It gets really good and I'm not even a third of the way through the Agility tree unlocks.

edit: Watch Klyka make this bridge his bitch as an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ5zdc02qaM

I have barely done any direct combat at all. There's an enormous amount of playstyle flexibility.

*shrug* "I love zombie games." Normally with "on the fence" posts like this I advise caution. But honestly buy the shit out of it. If you're disappointed please do come back and post about it, I'd be absolutely shocked.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
The companion app seems pretty useful.

I'm getting medkits like crazy. Looking through the loot in the app, it looks like you can get a shotgun and an orange melee weapon.

Quikies83

Is the drop kick supposed to briefly stun them? I have the upgrade drop kick, and it seems to do nothing to the hulk guys...
Sorta. Maybe stun isn't the right word. It pisses them off but does leave a little opening for you to get a hit in and get away.
And I don't have the upgrade to drop kick.

Top Bottom