• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Climbing towers is absolutely awesome in this game. I've got a huge fear of heights, and my palms are sweating the entire time. There's something about the "look at ledge and jump" systemic freedom this game has that makes tower climbs so much more rewarding and intense than Far Cry and AC.

Do blue shopkeepers disappear?

Wish you could sell stuff from your storage. Struggling a bit with just knowing when to enter combat, since I obviously want to level up, but don't want to die needlessly, lose durability in my weapons, and waste time grinding unnecessarily.

Not sure whether to use my weapon upgrades or wait for a better weapon to use them on

Have the exact same questions. Durability is laughably bad in this game which sucks cuz I just find myself cycling through my weapons, not bothering to fix or upgrade them.

I've just been running around ranking up my agility and survivor sense from scavenging.

If you want to rank up your attack, throw firecrackers into a mob and them Molotov their ass. Get a ton of points that way without breaking your weapons or getting killed.

antitrop

Climbing towers is absolutely awesome in this game. I've got a huge fear of heights, and my palms are sweating the entire time. There's something about the "look at ledge and jump" systemic freedom this game has that makes tower climbs so much more rewarding and intense than Far Cry and AC.

I like how the game messes with your sense of balance when you're reeeeeaaalllyy high up, like with the wind and everything.

Anyone had a chance to play "Be the zombie" yet? I have and well...

-the humans seem very overpowered
-the balance is not good; my first game i was thrown in to a bunch of ranked up humans that were actually chasing me

good concept, though

Corpekata

Banned
Yeah Be the Zombie is pretty poorly balanced. They need to either nerf survivor sense since you can spam it and always know where the hunter is, or the human flashlights.

Karak

Ya the look and leap method increases the feeling of height because unlike many games where you are still facing forward here your many times looking into the sky or very high. It messes with your ability to judge things and its very well done.

Yeah Be the Zombie is pretty poorly balanced. They need to either nerf survivor sense since you can spam it and always know where the hunter is, or the human flashlights.
I was winning rather easily as a human going up against the zombie solo, so I thought humans were overpowered. Then after spending the longest time searching for a match as the zombie because that portion of matchmaking is broken, I finally found a match against three humans, and it was an easy win.

So I'm torn between believing one side's actually overpowered, or people just being bad.

so my girlfriend is going on a 1-week-long skiing trip tomorrow

is this a game i can just mindlessly play while watching youtube videos, listening to the Giant Bombcast and stuff. with character progression but not too much "story" i need to pay attention to?

i 100% FarCry games - would i enjoy this?

the first looks i've watched made it seem i would.

I just put down Far Cry 4 to play Dying Light. This is straight up Far Cry with Zombies. The controls are even near identical. You hold down Square in Dying Light to pick up and search things just like you do in Far Cry 4. It was a seamless transition from Far Cry 4 to Dying Light.

Honestly, I get parts of the games confused they are so similar.

I was winning rather easily as a human going up against the zombie solo, so I thought humans were overpowered. Then after spending the longest time searching for a match as the zombie because that portion of matchmaking is broken, I finally found a match against three humans, and it was an easy win.

So I'm torn between believing one side's actually overpowered, or people just being bad.

One problem I saw with it is the UV light does way too much damage. Once you come at the humans, if you get hit with the light it's is very hard to escape. The "ground and pound" tactic takes too long because once you've charged up for it, if the human is ranked decently, you are melee'd to death. I had a human keeping up with me as I was escaping using my "tendrails" like spiderman. I was just confused as to how fast he was.

I will say if you do get an uninterrupted pounce it's a sure kill. But the problem is fighting a group. It's like playing Left 4 Dead with only one infected, basically.

And I wouldn't say the people are bad or good, but the matches are not balanced depending on rank. You can let a newbie monster enter in with 4 ranked up players.

The intro/tutorial is fucking awful, I have to say. It's just a total misfire. Poor initial moments of gameplay are a huge pet peeve for me, I could talk about it at great length.

I had this problem in Wolfenstein: The New Order. The beginning of that game almost had me putting it down. But it picked up and quickly became one of my favorite games of 2014.

So.... I'll definitely stick with this some more tonight and hope it gets better.

You know what my pet peeve is? Leveling and progression systems. So many game are relying on that now. It's in like every freakin game I play these days.

I don't know how Gunslinger's storytelling was as good as it is, because Dying Light is more typical, awful story Techland.

The problem is probably just that it takes itself dreadfully seriously. There is no sense of humor to be found in this game, which is strange. There's plenty of room for amusing and goofy writing, but there just isn't any.

It felt like they were able to take some risks with that game. That just screams "we have creative freedom" whereas Dying Light looks more like much of the game's direction was forced on them.

Oh well. Hopefully some humor can be had from silly CO-OP antics.

N° 2048

There is this door and something is inside but there is no option to open the door. Is there a ram door perk or something?

AngerdX

Darn you guys, was hoping to wait a bit to get this for bit cheaper but seems I have to get this tonight so I can join the fun after work in the morning, looks really fun.

BeeDog

Might be a bit spoilerific, but are there any melee weapons you can repair an infinite amount of times? I'm scared of using my current upgrades on a poor-ass melee weapon which will break quickly.

antitrop

Might be a bit spoilerific, but are there any melee weapons you can repair an infinite amount of times? I'm scared of using my current upgrades on a poor-ass melee weapon which will break quickly.

Weapons are meant to be disposed of. Upgrades are not even close to valuable, use them whenever you have the materials on whatever you want.

there is an upgrade which help you to repair the melee weapons many times

antitrop

It is complete bullshit what the game decides is a headshot or not for the Rifle Challenge.

Line it up perfectly with ADS, and it doesn't count like half of them.

It is complete bullshit what the game decides is a headshot or not for the Rifle Challenge.

Line it up perfectly with ADS, and it doesn't count like half of them.

Did you turn off autoaim? There's 2 settings for autoaim, one for melee and one for what I assume is ranged.

So the guns don't break? Also ammo isn't expensive either. Hmm.. This makes the game a hell of a lot more easy and boring. I kind of wish the guns were treated as more of a sacred thing. Something you would use in dire situation. Unless this second map i've heard of gets more difficult or something.

I have a double barreled shotgun, an army and police rifle and a pistol. Guns attract more zombies so usually save mine for tough situations.

Dying light gives you access to a lot more fire arms. I max out my bullets every time I see a vendor.

Do you mean you killed it? Dawn weakens them I guess?

yea I manage to kill it. I was chilling in front of the tower UV lights, dashing out, hitting it, and dashing back when it attacked. Came dawn, he ran, and I chased it.

I'll try to upload a video of me chasing it when I get home.

Does anyone know if the Companion App imparts any benefits to my game on the PS4? The app lets me send "scouts" to collect various things... that's about all there is to it as far as I can tell. Do those things carry over to my main game? Otherwise, the app seems pretty pointless...

Dr.Acula

Banned
There's guns? rofl

Where do I get em?

They become more common as the story progresses. Lock pick police cars and vans to get your first guns.

I save guns for humans because they're super annoying to melee. Head shots are insta-kills in this game. You can only carry a limited amount of ammo, so it's best to conserve it a little, and it attracts zombies anyway, so save it for humans.

N° 2048

They become more common as the story progresses. Lock pick police cars and vans to get your first guns.

I save guns for humans because they're super annoying to melee. Head shots are insta-kills in this game. You can only carry a limited amount of ammo, so it's best to conserve it a little, and it attracts zombies anyway, so save it for humans.

Thank you for the info :)

antitrop

I finally finished that stupid headshot challenge, and I've just come to the conclusion that the game has poor hitboxes for guns.

T-Rex.

Banned
How the hell do you change the weapon selection? I have 4 weapon slots which are all taken up but I want to switch the weapons I have selected for some of the ones I have stored but I have no idea how to do this

antitrop

How the hell do you change the weapon selection? I have 4 weapon slots which are all taken up but I want to switch the weapons I have selected for some of the ones I have stored but I have no idea how to do this

Go into your inventory and move the weapons from your backpack to your equipped weapon slots. (From left side to right side)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
yea I manage to kill it. I was chilling in front of the tower UV lights, dashing out, hitting it, and dashing back when it attacked. Came dawn, he ran, and I chased it.

I'll try to upload a video of me chasing it when I get home.
that's amazing. I've played reverse chicken with them at various points but have gotten killed a few times and would love some revenge. Never thought about trying to hunt them at dawn. I guess I assumed they just despawned in place or something.

daammyy

Curious, does anyone else have problem with the AI for the viral(the runners during the day) zombies. Im standing near the top of the bridge tower and they still see me from the bridge, thats really far away.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is the game on a timer?

I ask because im doing these missions for
Rais
, and now and then
Bracken
calls me for updates, and in the meantime im also doing all the sidequests I find (as usual). so im doing these sidequests in the
fishermen village
, and
bracken
calls me and says s
omeone turned on the tower and they need the medicine asap and shit

so... am I fucking / fucked myself over by doing sidequests before finishing this
Rais
main quest for
the medicine
?

jond76

Banned
is the game on a timer?

I ask because im doing these missions for
Rais
, and now and then
Bracken
calls me for updates, and in the meantime im also doing all the sidequests I find (as usual). so im doing these sidequests in the
fishermen village
, and
bracken
calls me and says s
omeone turned on the tower and they need the medicine asap and shit

so... am I fucking / fucked myself over by doing sidequests before finishing this
Rais
main quest for
the medicine
?

It just happens to unfold like that. Like real life, son!

But really, the main story quests Will hang around for you to get to. The only thing I've seen with a time limit are air drops being stolen.

Top Bottom