• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

Do survivors out in the wild respawn? I just encountered my first survivor, wanted to save him but he got surrounded and died. Need to save 15 of them for a trophy, I'm hoping there is more than 15, right?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
High praise indeed from you mate. I've always enjoyed your posts on the Destiny threads so rate your opinion very highly (that's enough d*ck sucking). I'll pick this up on my way home tonight.
Haha well thanks :) Getting it on PS4?
Do survivors out in the wild respawn? I just encountered my first survivor, wanted to save him but he got surrounded and died. Need to save 15 of them for a trophy, I'm hoping there is more than 15, right?
They're just a random event, they aren't just "there" like a quest. There are infinity more than 15.

Camper182

I really really hate the fact that zombies can "grab" you, mashing X every 10 seconds is not one of the most fun things to do in this world

NinjaJesus

Yeah, they're just random encounters. You'll keep finding them.

FartOfWar

Banned
If I didnt like Dead Island much will I like this game? I didnt hate the game but i dont tihnk i played it longer than 5 hours before getting completely bored.

antitrop, how you liking the game? I usually agree with you so would like to here your thoughts.

Wasn't a Dead Island fan, but love this. Absolutely disagree with Sterling's review.

realcZk

Sometimes after I save one, I hang back and watch him struggle to kill zombie after zombie. Usually they can kill 3-4 before dying or disappearing then I just loot the bodies. It's a good time to have a beer or snack.

The vault ability is really fun to use, using it to hop off a zombie over a wall or onto a roof is fun enough but hoping off one zombie to land on the one behind him is fantastic.

antitrop

If I didnt like Dead Island much will I like this game? I didnt hate the game but i dont tihnk i played it longer than 5 hours before getting completely bored.

antitrop, how you liking the game? I usually agree with you so would like to here your thoughts.

I didn't like Dead Island at all and I'm enjoying the game quite a bit. It's more fun than it is good, probably like a solid 7, and I'm glad I didn't pay full price, but it's definitely entertaining. I think I played it for like 8 or 9 hours yesterday.

It was a game that had me smiling, laughing, and yelling a lot, so it was definitely doing something right.

NinjaJesus

Sometimes after I save one, I hang back and watch him struggle to kill zombie after zombie. Usually they can kill 3-4 before dying or disappearing then I just loot the bodies. It's a good time to have a beer or snack.

They usually make their way back to their house

If you make sure they make it back safely you get bonus xp.

antitrop

so my girlfriend is going on a 1-week-long skiing trip tomorrow

is this a game i can just mindlessly play while watching youtube videos, listening to the Giant Bombcast and stuff. with character progression but not too much "story" i need to pay attention to?

i 100% FarCry games - would i enjoy this?

the first looks i've watched made it seem i would.

This is Far Cry with Zombies, almost straight up.

It's exactly as you describe, perfect for listening to a podcast while you run from point A to B, the character progression is very well done, like Far Cry, and the story is absolutely uninteresting and pedestrian.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Anyone manage to kill a Volatile? I chased one at dawn for several blocks, and cornered it in some dark under pass. I was half expecting a nest was there waiting for me.
Do you mean you killed it? Dawn weakens them I guess?
I really really hate the fact that zombies can "grab" you, mashing X every 10 seconds is not one of the most fun things to do in this world
There are agility skills to combat this. I recommend Grapple and the one that cuts the amount of X you need to push in half, even if you aren't really pursuing the agility line.

That said if you are getting grabbed every 10 seconds I might suggest a change in technique.

antitrop

Almost 10 hours in and only 11% percent complete. Yeah this game is pretty big.

I think I'm at 12 hours and 20% story completion. I bet it takes less and less time to chip away at that percentage as your character abilities increase, though.

I doubt this game takes ~60 hours to 100%. Also like Far Cry, I doubt there's any compelling reason to go for 100%.

Do you mean you killed it? Dawn weakens them I guess?

There are agility skills to combat this. I recommend Grapple and the one that cuts the amount of X you need to push in half, even if you aren't really pursuing the agility line.

That said if you are getting grabbed every 10 seconds I might suggest a change in technique.

Jumping on zombie's heads seems to be the most effective escape path, I've found. I just sprint into a crowd of zombies, start mashing R1, and everything usually works out for the best.

After you get the upgrade, of course.

R3TRODYCE

Gah I started it up this morning and my levels were back down to a lvl 1, lost all my blueprints, weapons etc. but my story progress didn't reset.

pahamrick

Did you play online?

It seems playing online is not the only thing that causes the bug, but exiting the game during and right after sleeping does it as well. In my case it crashed with an error code right after sleeping to get to night time for a mission, and when I restarted I was affected by it.

Supposedly it'll be fixed in the next patch, whenever that is.

I doubt this game takes ~60 hours to 100%. Also like Far Cry, I doubt there's any compelling reason to go for 100%.

Thats most games for me. Even then, the games I 100% usually are only cause I was still having fun doing it. Not for any interesting unlock, etc.

WITHE1982

I didn't know the physical release had been delayed in the uk. Went to buy the game in Game and they told me it was digital only for EU. Incredibly shit job by techland (or at least the manufacturers) to miss a global launch.

Now I'm once again wondering if I should bother getting this. I'm not a massive fan of buying digital.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Has there been any answers as to what causes the skill-loss bug?

Is there something I should avoid doing to avoid it?

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Gah I started it up this morning and my levels were back down to a lvl 1, lost all my blueprints, weapons etc. but my story progress didn't reset.

The developers confirmed this bug to be related to sleeping or sleeping right after quitting. Until the patch comes out it is safest to go talk to an npc or run around a bit to trigger an autosave after sleeping. Also remember to quit out of the game properly every time.

EDIT: Dev statement regarding incoming PC patch.
http://forum.techland.pl/topic/2655-a-patch-is-coming-your-way/

No idea how long consoles will have to wait.

Just started playing this last night... and boy, what a boring start.

Some cut scenes, exposition, a brief fetch quest.... I couldn't stay focused long enough.

I'll try again tonight. How long does it take for things to start getting interesting?

antitrop

Some cut scenes, exposition, a brief fetch quest.... I couldn't stay focused long enough.

I'll try again tonight. How long does it take for things to start getting interesting?

15 minutes or so? The gameplay consists of killing zombies in creative and interesting ways and completing fetch quests. The only thing that really changes is your character's abilities with upgrades.

After a few hours I just started mashing Circle during the cutscenes. Everyone has a ridiculous amount of stuff to say, and none of it interesting.

Finally was able to purchase the game...yay finally.

My son is downloading it while I have to work, so at least when I get back home I can start it straight up :)

15 minutes or so? T

That's the downside to my gaming time starting at 10pm. Getting older... getting tired sooner.

I'll just start skipping cut scenes. Already the plot seems kinda boring to me. Track down a file? Oh boy.

I do think they should stick to some more wacky\quirky stuff like in Gunslinger. Their more serious stuff leaves a lot to be desired.

antitrop

That's the downside to my gaming time starting at 10pm. Getting older... getting tired sooner.

I'll just start skipping cut scenes. Already the plot seems kinda boring to me. Track down a file? Oh boy.

I do think they should stick to some more wacky\quirky stuff like in Gunslinger. Their more serious stuff leaves a lot to be desired.

I don't know how Gunslinger's storytelling was as good as it is, because Dying Light is more typical, awful story Techland.

The problem is probably just that it takes itself dreadfully seriously. There is no sense of humor to be found in this game, which is strange. There's plenty of room for amusing and goofy writing, but there just isn't any.

Even the stereotypical Army guy that you meet isn't even comical about it. It's played as serious as humanly possible, which I suppose makes it a bit ironically comical.

Far Cry is great precisely because it takes itself with 0% seriousness. Considering how much else Dying Light based itself on Far Cry, that was one of the key areas they missed borrowing from. =/

dat rebar :O

Really liking it so far, 4 hours in

Just volunteered to find an airdrop, spoken to Gazi and bought down Bento's gang

Like the voice actor for Crane, very likeable character.

Do blue shopkeepers disappear?

Wish you could sell stuff from your storage. Struggling a bit with just knowing when to enter combat, since I obviously want to level up, but don't want to die needlessly, lose durability in my weapons, and waste time grinding unnecessarily.

Not sure whether to use my weapon upgrades or wait for a better weapon to use them on

tesqui

So the guns don't break? Also ammo isn't expensive either. Hmm.. This makes the game a hell of a lot more easy and boring. I kind of wish the guns were treated as more of a sacred thing. Something you would use in dire situation. Unless this second map i've heard of gets more difficult or something.

Karak

The vault ability is really fun to use, using it to hop off a zombie over a wall or onto a roof is fun enough but hoping off one zombie to land on the one behind him is fantastic.

Agreed. A zombie fighting moshpit runner. Its great fun to mix it with some of the other skills.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Jumping on zombie's heads seems to be the most effective escape path, I've found. I just sprint into a crowd of zombies, start mashing R1, and everything usually works out for the best.

After you get the upgrade, of course.
Zombie Vault is indeed crucial, one of the best ascent methods in any situation even if you're not trying to escape anything. There's an awesome-looking upgrade that makes it stun zombies you vault over too (reminds me of Shadow of Mordor, lol).

The intro/tutorial is fucking awful, I have to say. It's just a total misfire. Poor initial moments of gameplay are a huge pet peeve for me, I could talk about it at great length.

Fun spikes massively when you're let loose into the world.
15 minutes or so?
It felt like 40 minutes to me, which is to say it felt too long, however long it was.

I don't mind the story so far. It's nothing amazing, but it's interesting enough. I like that the main character is a double agent. That's pretty unique.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't mind the story so far. It's nothing amazing, but it's interesting enough. I like that the main character is a double agent. That's pretty unique.
so far it's definitely not enough of a twist to win me over. I'm not far yet but I could play bingo with the narrative tropes on display.

Loving the game overall though.

Top Bottom