• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

Phionoxx

I may hold off on a patch to play this.

Are people playing on PS4 losing progress too or is it just an XB1 issue?

Pretty sure it is possible to run into this glitch on all platforms. I am staying away from Co Op until it gets fixed, just to be safe. I can control what I do prior to exiting the game, but can't control what others do during Co Op so just going to wait it out.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
yo...

if you have a gun, motherfuckers will hold their hands in the air and not attack you / run away :O

I did not expect that

yo...

if you have a gun, motherfuckers will hold their hands in the air and not attack you / run away :O

I did not expect that

Yeah, I really liked that little detail. I ran into a group of about 5 guys with one of them having an assault rifle, luckily when he started firing a group of 3 viral zombies(the fast ones) came sprinting over to him and attacked.

He killed 2 and I threw a molotov to kill him and the last zombie. His buddies are attacking me throughout all of this, but as soon as I pickup the rifle they all scatter. Really glad I picked this game up.

therapist

this game is awesome , finally got it last night.
I think a few people added me from here , or maybe its CS traders -_-

So the spikes seem quite OP - its kinda funny to watch a zombie slowly walk into them only to be impaled hilariously.

Game is much more difficult than i thought , which is great.

GTX660 my card had some issues , i had to drop some settings to keep it at 1080p i.e textures high was the biggest culprit whcih i put to medieum , still looks great and runs great now too.

Survivors are tough - its amazing how when theres a group and you kill one the other runs if theres only two , happened to me earlier and i chaesd the guy for like 3 mins , only to have him mauled a bit by a group of zombies near spikes - while he was being mauled i ran up and dropped kicked him into the spikes. It was awesome.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
speaking of guns, Ill spoiler this to be safe:

while looking for a Rais patrol for a quest, there was some nutjob on the roof of a gas station shooting at me, he almost killed me because I think he blew up a barrel or something near me, but I hid behind a car, peaked out at him shooting at me, and took him out with 1 headshot with my pistol. turns out the building he was in was a safe house after I climbed up there and took his rifle from his dead body.

that was satisfying :p

edit: something awesome. you make lockpicks in 5s, not 1. and Molotovs too

RoylAsult

...is xbox live down or something? i cant connect or sign in so i cant play this game right now... this is getting frustrating with the server always being down.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
just turned on a twitch stream to check this game out and it is glitching the fuck out. dude is swimming like 2 miles underneath the city just flying around.

is this game... uhhh really this glitchy?

antitrop

Yeah, fuck em. It's so weird for open world games to have bugs on release day. I have almost never heard of it.

Loosing a single day's playtime just makes me want to get all my money back and if that doesn't happen I will fling my fist in rage while rolling on the floor.

lol, if all my saved data got erased, I would definitely be pissed enough to ask for a refund.

Most bugs are fine, but losing your saved data is not one of the "fine" ones.

just turned on a twitch stream to check this game out and it is glitching the fuck out. dude is swimming like 2 miles underneath the city just flying around.

is this game... uhhh really this glitchy?

It's very glitchy, I've run into plenty. Most of them are harmless, like the watch alarm for night time not turning off and blaring from the DS4 until I reset the game, even after I died it wouldn't stop.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I saw a group of Rais' guys messing with a survivor. I figured since I had a gun I could take 'em out and rescue the dude.

I took one shot, ONE! And I guess I somehow hit a gas can and I killed everyone in the area and the survivor.

Then I get this message:

Well fuck me for trying to be nice!

Fyi everyone be careful. Goes for all platforms

"I had played for 4h in campaign, continued to play more 6h in coop and today my character was wiped clean. no skills, no items, no money. At some point, during coop, my partner game crashed. We rejoined and continue playing normally until logging out.
I've opened a ticket on the support email

(support@techland.pl)

This was the response: I am sorry to hear that it happened to you. We do know about this issue and it should be fixed in the upcoming patch. It is actually caused by leaving the game right after or during sleeping. Same for disconnecting from coop when sleeping. So for it to never occur to you again before the patch make sure that the game saved properly after sleeping - by running somewhere for a bit or talking with an npc (quest or shop). And try to exit it through quiting not forcefully.
I've questioned if the patch would recover my savefile: Most likely we won't be able to do that as the problem lies within corrupted save file.
What you can do more is to check this temporary fix, I cannot assure you tho it would work perfectly: go to 'Play Campaign' from main menu of the game, choose your save file, go to 'Advanced' and from there you should be able to choose 'New Game from quest'. Then pick the lastest progress you can.
What that should do is to get your character to the correct progress."

Ugh. I just lost my save after a crash. This is better than nothing, but having to redo all sidequests, all the safehouses, starting with no money or items, it's allll pretty fucking shitty. Is it that hard to allow manual saves? To keep multiple autosaves? Fuck.

goddamn, outstanding. I probably don't have any weapons strong enough to kill one but maybe I can dropkick it somewhere.

I didn't have a great weapons. I did a good amount of damage at night, luring em close to the UV, and taking swings at him.

They do a good amount of damage as well as being very fast.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Ugh. I just lost my save after a crash. This is better than nothing, but having to redo all sidequests, all the safehouses, starting with no money or items, it's allll pretty fucking shitty. Is it that hard to allow manual saves? To keep multiple autosaves? Fuck.

If you are on PC you can manually create a backup of your save. I do this after every play session now until the patch comes out.

SomTervo

Ive sunk about 16 hours into the game and have not encountered a single bug

Not one

Though I'm only playing single player. Tbh if this game was single player only id be fucking happy with it, it's amazing. And i consider myself a pretty harsh critic.

antitrop

Ive sunk about 16 hours into the game and have not encountered a single bug

Not one

Though I'm only playing single player. Tbh if this game was single player only id be fucking happy with it, it's amazing. And i consider myself a pretty harsh critic.

If the game was single-player only, I would expect a hell of a lot more from the story. Maybe some cutscenes that are worth watching or none at all. Having to mash Circle through all the inane dialogue is a chore, especially when brevity is not a trait anyone in this game possesses.

So GAF, what is the consensus on this game so far? Is it worth looking into for someone who likes parkour and open world games, or should it be skipped? I didn't play dead island so comparing it to that won't be helpful.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I haven't encountered any bugs or glitches myself... but sandboxes always invite them to some extent. That save loss bug is horrifying though, my sympathies to those hit by it :(
So GAF, what is the consensus on this game so far? Is it worth looking into for someone who likes parkour and open world games, or should it be skipped? I didn't play dead island so comparing it to that won't be helpful.
Yes. You're the same kind of player I was approaching this. I only have a fraction of the abilities unlocked but it's absolutely scratching the itch I've always had for an open world Mirror's Edge. I've barely trifled with the combat personally.

I see it get compared to Far Cry a lot, apparently its that game with Zombies. Havent played a newer far cry so I cant say. But I can say if you really are into parkour and open world then this is your game. 100% your game.

Where do I pick up the packages and stuff I send from companion app??

Quartermaster.

It's a fantastic zombie killing coop playground with great graphics and sound design, with a garbage story. Don't expect the last of us writing, but expect to have a lot of silly fun.

GravyButt

Even thougj I raged earlier and got a refund on the game because of the save glitchI played a lot of it. It really is a fun game though but does get repetitive mission wise like most open world game. In all, if your aware of the save glitch, then I say go for it. Night time is creepy as hell too.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
All the youtube videos I watched so far are people playing this game like Dead Island style, no one is doing parkouring while attacking zombies (I mean like what you do in mirror's edge) it's just melee zombies then run away and climb a wall to go to the other side.

Is the freerunning/parkouring just optional? or are those YTpeople play this game the wrong way?

antitrop

All the youtube videos I watched so far are people playing this game like Dead Island style, no one is doing parkouring while attacking zombies (I mean like what you do in mirror's edge) it's just melee zombies then run away and climb a wall to go to the other side.

Is the freerunning/parkouring just optional? or are those YTpeople play this game the wrong way?

They're probably early on and don't have all the cool upgrades that let you do the sweet stuff? That's my guess.

Because I play this game like a boss. It lets you if you want to.

tesqui

alright, just got the grappling hook, and omg it is fucking cool! Once I unlock the upgrade that grants more uses it'll be full on spiderman time! Also just reached old town, and yeah this game is great looking.

I haven't encountered any bugs or glitches myself... but sandboxes always invite them to some extent. That save loss bug is horrifying though, my sympathies to those hit by it :(
Yes. You're the same kind of player I was approaching this. I only have a fraction of the abilities unlocked but it's absolutely scratching the itch I've always had for an open world Mirror's Edge. I've barely trifled with the combat personally.

I see it get compared to Far Cry a lot, apparently its that game with Zombies. Havent played a newer far cry so I cant say. But I can say if you really are into parkour and open world then this is your game. 100% your game.

Quartermaster.

It's a fantastic zombie killing coop playground with great graphics and sound design, with a garbage story. Don't expect the last of us writing, but expect to have a lot of silly fun.

Even thougj I raged earlier and got a refund on the game because of the save glitchI played a lot of it. It really is a fun game though but does get repetitive mission wise like most open world game. In all, if your aware of the save glitch, then I say go for it. Night time is creepy as hell too.

Thanks for the responses. Sounds right up my alley, especially with the far cry comparison. I'll probably pick up a copy tonight.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

I'd describe everything as optional to some extent. I've focused almosed exclusively on Parkour and movement options so far. I have never played Dead Island for 3 seconds, so that probably influences how they play it. I avoid combat if even remotely possible, and it almost always is. You could also never fight with melee but take zombies out in a kind of gadgety batman style if you preferred that too. I set up an extremely simple scenario with basic stuff here,
http://zippy.gfycat.com/LightheartedGivingCoral.webm

I crashed through a roof and attracted a viral. My melee combat sucks so I didn't want to deal. Could've just run but... propane tank over an oil slick, hit with an exploding throwing star. Goddamn viral still almost managed to get out of this situation but she wound up roasted as planned. Doing stuff this way also doesn't cost you stamina, including my kicks (mapped to L1, rather than the "Attack" button on R2).

But generally speaking, I mostly do parkour stuff. All of it seems to be done pretty well and what you do can be based on personal preference. I think you get a lot of freedom to play exactly how you want.

So does it eventually make sense for the last skill in every tree to require level 25? That just doesn't seem feasible.

Also, story quality drops a ton
nearing the end of the first map. But like with Shadow of Mordor, I was damn surprised when another section of the map opened up. This place is so much better than the first area.
'

Why does wallrunning suck so much? I was promised something like Titanfall's wall running. This isn't what I wanted.

Alright Gaf whats the verdict, is this a buy or no buy @ $60?? Ive read a few post, but I'm wondering If there is general consensus yet lol.
13 hours in with 50% story progress made. I've skipped almost every side mission except for the parkour and weapon challenges as well.

LogicStep

So does it eventually make sense for the last skill in every tree to require level 25? That just doesn't seem feasible.

Also, story quality drops a ton
nearing the end of the first map. But like with Shadow of Mordor, I was damn surprised when another section of the map opened up. This place is so much better than the first area.
'

Why does wallrunning suck so much? I was promised something like Titanfall's wall running. This isn't what I wanted.

13 hours in with 50% story progress made. I've skipped almost every side mission except for the parkour and weapon challenges as well.

Huh, I heard it was short, like 8 hours. Good to know!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Huh, I heard it was short, like 8 hours. Good to know!
there's no way. just no way.

edit: the wallrunning... like titanfall with the jetpacks? o_O how does it work anyway? I don't see a specific unlock for it. Jack Whatshisname is a pretty ridiculously good climber though

Rhaknar

You say lvl 25 isn't feasible and then say you're skipping every side quest. ..Welp :p

Well that's like the 10th time the game's decided to not allow me to interact with any objects and I've had to quit out at the end of a mission. I don't think I want to play this game until they patch it.

You say lvl 25 isn't feasible and then say you're skipping every side quest. ..Welp :p
The side quests don't give you progress toward parkour or combat skill trees.

And side quests aren't fun. Like. At all.

there's no way. just no way.

edit: the wallrunning... like titanfall with the jetpacks? o_O how does it work anyway? I don't see a specific unlock for it. Jack Whatshisname is a pretty ridiculously good climber though
Like the wallrunning in Mirror's Edge. I thought I'd be able to do something like that. But now it seems like I just wasted a skill point. It literally doesn't do anything. It's like at the end of the survivor tree. Tic Tac or something.

Karak

Well that's like the 10th time the game's decided to not allow me to interact with any objects and I've had to quit out at the end of a mission. I don't think I want to play this game until they patch it.

The side quests don't give you progress toward parkour or combat skill trees.

And side quests aren't fun. Like. At all.

Like the wallrunning in Mirror's Edge. I thought I'd be able to do something like that. But now it seems like I just wasted a skill point. It literally doesn't do anything. It's like at the end of the survivor tree. Tic Tac or something.
That sucks man and its typical of bugs like that. Some people just run into them more. That totally sucks.

Alright Gaf whats the verdict, is this a buy or no buy @ $60?? Ive read a few post, but I'm wondering If there is general consensus yet lol.

If this came out last year it would've made my top 10.

My first time seeing night, I ran around cause I didn't know any better. Now I'm being chased by 4 Tyrants because I didn't move quietly at night. So they're on my ass while I hold down run before blindly jump off a building. Below was bliss.

Trash bags saved me. I flung myself onto the trash bags below, got my senses & kept it moving. A silver trophy popped up and I learned a valuable lesson..move quiet at night.

A tyrant hasn't fucked with me since

That sucks man and its typical of bugs like that. Some people just run into them more. That totally sucks.
It keeps happening at the end of literally the first side quest I'm trying to do. I have to kill like 5 armed guards, then untie a guy. But by the time I get to him, I can no longer interact with anything until I exit the game. But when I come back into the game, all of the guards are alive again.

This is awesome.

pahamrick

It keeps happening at the end of literally the first side quest I'm trying to do. I have to kill like 5 armed guards, then untie a guy. But by the time I get to him, I can no longer interact with anything until I exit the game. But when I come back into the game, all of the guards are alive again.

This is awesome.

Question, are you using guns during this time? I saw on reddit that someone discovered if you were using guns, and swapped to a melee weapon without reloading first you weren't able to interact with ANYTHING. The bug doesn't happen if you run out of ammo, only if you swap to a melee without reloading the gun first.

Top Bottom