• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

pahamrick

the "unnoticed" bonus at night is awesome. so much survivor points.

I think the only time I managed that bonus was when I was doing the side quest
where you have to salvage the UV lights from the bridge.

I did the entire quest backwards apparently, and spent the entire night chilling on a ledge trying to climb down.

the "unnoticed" bonus at night is awesome. so much survivor points.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised when I got it yesterday. I was doing the
radio tower mission for Rais
, it got dark(I was busy lockpicking some police vehicles, got a handgun!), and had to make my way back. Game is so good that you're rewarded for your skill in traversing areas. I love it.

Karak

It keeps happening at the end of literally the first side quest I'm trying to do. I have to kill like 5 armed guards, then untie a guy. But by the time I get to him, I can no longer interact with anything until I exit the game. But when I come back into the game, all of the guards are alive again.

This is awesome.

Ya sucks man. Bugs kill my soul a little bit. Sometimes I think that a savegame carries them forward too and I have restarted a couple games and never had the same bug but I think that is the NUKE option.

Jrs3000

Bento lines are hilarious. Gazi had some good lines also, I felt uneasy on his fate but they handled it ok so far..

I think they missed out on a little more immersion by making viewing the map, inventory etc pause the game. The game should keep going while you're doing that to keep up the tension.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The side quests don't give you progress toward parkour or combat skill trees.

And side quests aren't fun. Like. At all

Side quests give you parkour and combat progress in the sense that you are doing shit to do those quests. I'm lvl 7 in agi and 8 in combat, and I've seen youtubers doing story missions that I'm at and they have like half of that, one assumes they are skipping all the side stuff

And quality is subjective, some of the side quests are very involved but ok

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Interested in buying this game Saturday but see that there's a major glitch where you lose your game save.

Is this glitch for the single player campaign, multi-player or co-op?

I have no interest in playing co-op or multi-player but don't want to play the single player campaign for a few days and then lose my game save. I read the opening post that mentions it's for co-op but I want to make sure before I buy the game. Thanks.

Side quests give you parkour and combat progress in the sense that you are doing shit to do those quests. I'm lvl 7 in ago and 8 in combat, and I've seen youtubers doing story missions that I'm at and they have like half of that, one assumes they are skipping all the side stuff

And quality is subjective, some of the side quests are very involved but ok

Some of them are hilarious, and some of them are well written as well. Like the Gazi quest is quite heartfelt, and a bit sad. Then there's the
werewolf
sidequest. That ones hilarious.

Interested in buying this game Saturday but see that there's a major glitch where you lose your game save.

Is this glitch for the single player campaign, multi-player or co-op?

I have no interest in playing co-op or multi-player but don't want to play the single player campaign for a few days and then lose my game save. I read the opening post that mentions it's for co-op but I want to make sure before I buy the game. Thanks.

It seems that the glitch is activated if you turn off the game immediately after sleeping.

Kard8p3

GAF can I play other games will DL finishes installing(I'm stuck at the elevator at 70%)? I'm sure the answer is yes but I don't wanna waste time I could be using to finish the install

Compsiox

Banned
Is Nividia on crack?

They're recommending me to run it at 2k resolution with 80% distance. I knew it was way too good to be true and ended up with 35FPS

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Some of them are hilarious, and some of them are well written as well. Like the Gazi quest is quite heartfelt, and a bit sad. Then there's the
werewolf
sidequest. That ones hilarious.

It seems that the glitch is activated if you turn off the game immediately after sleeping.

And the
gun
quest and everything that happens from it, might aswell be a story quest

I think people just assume side quests duck on general

Trace

Banned
what are the best weapons in the game. I found expcaliber but it broke, what exactly did that do besides be high in hit points>

Expcaliber, being an obvious reference to Excalibur, is meant to be a bit of a cool/joke weapon. It has 7 durability and cannot be repaired, compared to a normal weapon of 35+ durability.

The best weapon I've found so far that I can afford to use normally is a police rifle with 260ish damage.

jond76

Banned
Yeah, people are underestimating the side quests. Techland really did a good job on making them interesting. They feel like real occurrences rather than "clear the rats out of my basement" type things.

Gazi, the old man and his wannabe runner son, gunslinger. All multilayered experiences. Good stuff.

the gunslinger one.
He tells you that the pawn shop has good stuff in it and please grab the action figure. When I got to the pawn shop I was annoyed that there wasn't really shit in there. Turns out he was playing me. Ha. Wonder how that story will wrap up... Don't tell me

And the
gun
quest and everything that happens from it, might aswell be a story quest

I think people just assume side quests duck on general

Yeah, people are underestimating the side quests. Techland really did a good job on making them interesting. They feel like real occurrences rather than "clear the rats out of my basement" type things.

Gazi, the old man and his wannabe runner son, gunslinger. All multilayered experiences. Good stuff.

Yeah. This is one game where I wouldn't mind doing all the sidequests. Even the random survivors you meet out in the open are interesting, they tell you either neat things about themselves or about the city itself. Definitely high props for the side quests in this game. Best side quests I've seen in a few years.

Dommel

And another 3:30am for me, damn this game!

I upgraded my cricket bat with i don't know which mod but it zaps as well as burns zombies, hilarious!

Trace

Banned
Yeah. This is one game where I wouldn't mind doing all the sidequests. Even the random survivors you meet out in the open are interesting, they tell you either neat things about themselves or about the city itself. Definitely high props for the side quests in this game. Best side quests I've seen in a few years.

My only problem with it is you have some sidequests that are great, but then they have a few "go collect some stuff" sidequests as well, I would have preferred just the good ones.

My only problem with it is you have some sidequests that are great, but then they have a few "go collect some stuff" sidequests as well, I would have preferred just the good ones.

Comes with the territory :/ But I feel that the memorable quests heavily outweight the collectathons.

I wish I didn't have to see the "hold O to skip" thing in every cutscene. Do the devs want me to watch them or not? Or maybe they think all the players have horrible memories.

jond76

Banned
I wish I didn't have to see the "hold O to skip" thing in every cutscene. Do the devs want me to watch them or not? Or maybe they think all the players have horrible memories.

On Xbox, that only shows up if you fiddle with the sticks while it's playing. I think there are a couple that have it burnt in, but I've found that most of them fade away after a second or two.

Pretty sure it is possible to run into this glitch on all platforms. I am staying away from Co Op until it gets fixed, just to be safe. I can control what I do prior to exiting the game, but can't control what others do during Co Op so just going to wait it out.

I gotta find out exactly what triggers this glitch, so I don't repeat it.

On Xbox, that only shows up if you fiddle with the sticks while it's playing. I think there are a couple that have it burnt in, but I've found that most of them fade away after a second or two.

your right. I just always have the controller in my hand so I always hit the sticks or something to make it display

antitrop

Is Nividia on crack?

They're recommending me to run it at 2k resolution with 80% distance. I knew it was way too good to be true and ended up with 35FPS

(2k is 1080p)

Good grief NPCs in this game talks way too much
Then u have those random NPC to listen to their SOB story

There was one guy who was giving a story about how sadistic Rais or whatever is, and at the end of all it Crane just goes "Boy, you must be great at parties". The humor caught me off guard, after almost 20 hours of torturously straight writing.

Some throwaway dialogue to a random NPC you may never even find (or listen to the end of his story), is better than all the overwrought, dramatic crap I've had to put up with.

Need some help with human enemies. I'm still very early into the game so haven't unlocked many skills yet. I was doing the
Goodnight Mr. Bahir
side quest and had to go kill a bunch of bandits. But man they are no joke! Dodged all my kicks and attacks (with pipe and shovel). Even blocked my throwing stars with their pipes!! (which was hilarious, the animation looks like they were deflecting bullets with a samurai sword).

Any tips on how to defeat them? The mission difficulty is only "Medium", but I feel like I'm underleveled or just don't have good enough gears/moves to defeat them yet.

Trace

Banned
Need some help with human enemies. I'm still very early into the game so haven't unlocked many skills yet. I was doing the
Goodnight Mr. Bahir
side quest and had to go kill a bunch of bandits. But man they are no joke! Dodged all my kicks and attacks (with pipe and shovel). Even blocked my throwing stars with their pipes!! (which was hilarious, the animation looks like they were deflecting bullets with a samurai sword).

Any tips on how to defeat them? The mission difficulty is only "Medium", but I feel like I'm underleveled or just don't have good enough gears/moves to defeat them yet.

I've found throwing a Molotov into a group of human enemies usually kills them with one molotov, or at least softens them up enough to beat.

Jrs3000

Goodnight Mr. Bahir

Humans are a chore as they should be, they dodge, and block just like you do. If you have the throw skill use that to redirect their attacks, they are usually off guard for a few seconds so follow up with a hit. If you have moltovs then humans are a piece of cake, try to group them together and toss, 1 usually kills any enemy caught in the radius. Other than that it seems to be a cat and mouse game of dodging their attacks (RB + a direction) and coming in with a kick to stun them or swing. If you have the med kits and a high powered weapon take the hit and swing at the same time. I do this when I have the weapons the huge zombies carry because it kills humans with 1 hit.

When any enemy in this game, never stop moving!

antitrop

THEN 4k!!!!

Also isn't 1440p 2k?

1440p is 2.5k.

Film industry counts horizontal pixels, game industry counts vertical pixels. I have no idea why (2.35 aspect ratio, if I had to take a guess?).

I have no idea why 4K monitors/TVs aren't being sold as 2160p screens for consistency, but whatever. Marketing is marketing, I guess.

I finally climbed To the top of this really frickin huge bridge. It took forever. I literally had vertigo and sweaty palms. I'm up here now waiting for night to fall ...

I've found throwing a Molotov into a group of human enemies usually kills them with one molotov, or at least softens them up enough to beat.

Humans are a chore as they should be, they dodge, and block just like you do. If you have the throw skill use that to redirect their attacks, they are usually off guard for a few seconds so follow up with a hit. If you have moltovs then humans are a piece of cake, try to group them together and toss, 1 usually kills any enemy caught in the radius. Other than that it seems to be a cat and mouse game of dodging their attacks (RB + a direction) and coming in with a kick to stun them or swing. If you have the med kits and a high powered weapon take the hit and swing at the same time. I do this when I have the weapons the huge zombies carry because it kills humans with 1 hit.

When any enemy in this game, never stop moving!
Thanks for the advice, guys. Interesting that both of you mentioned the molotov. I don't actually have one in my inventory, and I unlocked the grapple skill after I gave up on the side quest. I shall revisit their camp with my new grapple move and molotov tonight.

What I did was the cat and mouse game like you said, and hitting their legs, they can't seem to dodge those. I noticed there were a few gas tanks lying around, I could throw them at the bandits but didn't have a gun to detonate......

(2k is 1080p)

There was one guy who was giving a story about how sadistic Rais or whatever is, and at the end of all it Crane just goes "Boy, you must be great at parties". The humor caught me off guard, after almost 20 hours of torturously straight writing.

Some throwaway dialogue to a random NPC you may never even find (or listen to the end of his story), is better than all the overwrought, dramatic crap I've had to put up with.
That was the first one I talked to then this bitch about fan of Jade. Follows by 2min Sob story

Every co op game I join the host just sits there paused :S

That has been the majority of my co op games too sadly. Managed to find a great random group today, and we rolled missions for a few hours, but that seems few and far between.

It wouldn't be so bad if your party didn't need to be gathered to venture forth.

This game is fantastic. I'm having so much fun just trying to stay alive and collect things on the map. Exploring all the little nooks and crannies is great.

Trace

Banned
Thanks for the advice, guys. Interesting that both of you mentioned the molotov. I don't actually have one in my inventory, and I unlocked the grapple skill after I gave up on the side quest. I shall revisit their camp with my new grapple move and molotov tonight.

What I did was the cat and mouse game like you said, and hitting their legs, they can't seem to dodge those. I noticed there were a few gas tanks lying around, I could throw them at the bandits but didn't have a gun to detonate......

Honestly if you have a gun you can just shoot them. It makes everything painfully easy outside of other humans with guns.

Outside of that reported glitch, this thread is full of insanely good impressions.

Really that good, huh GAF? I mean, my friend and I had a ton of fun with Dead Island, despite it's problems, so this seems like it'd be a no-brainer for me.

Trace

Banned
Outside of that reported glitch, this thread is full of insanely good impressions.

Really that good, huh GAF? I mean, my friend and I had a ton of fun with Dead Island, despite it's problems, so this seems like it'd be a no-brainer for me.

It's honestly one of the best games I've played in awhile. I hated Dead Island so I was pleasantly surprised.

It's honestly one of the best games I've played in awhile. I hated Dead Island so I was pleasantly surprised.

heart-attack-guy.jpg

Trace

Banned
I strongly disliked Dead Island, too, and I could see this one maybe making the bottom end of a Top 10 list for me at the end of this year.

I would say the same, but this year having Witcher/Batman/Bloodborne/The Order, not even counting the rest of the year might push it out of the Top 10.

However the grappling hook might push it into the top 5, damn that thing is fun.

It's damn fun, that's undeniable. I personally hated Dead Island 1 so fucking much, but this? This is damn fun. The parkour changes the game so much. The deliberate design choices like not having unlimited battle stamina to just mow down enemies and actually be vulnerable if you get attacked in groups. This feels like the best Walking Dead game ever. You have to be quick, smart and crafty or you will get your shit packed in.

My BIGGEST problem is... Why can't I climb down? Like. At all. It's such a huge oversight. I hate having to drop, hold r1 and hope.

Trace

Banned
My BIGGEST problem is... Why can't I climb down? Like. At all. It's such a huge oversight. I hate having to drop, hold r1 and hope.

Get the roll as soon as you can. Honestly it's kinda broken how strong it is, I don't think there's a spot in the game you can't just roll and take no damage except for the bridge, and for that you just jump into the water.

antitrop

Once you upgrade the ability to press Circle to roll at the end of a big fall, that takes care of most of the times you would want to do such a thing.

EDIT: BEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTT

Get the roll as soon as you can. Honestly it's kinda broken how strong it is, I don't think there's a spot in the game you can't just roll and take no damage except for the bridge, and for that you just jump into the water.

Once you upgrade the ability to press Circle to roll at the end of a big fall, that takes care of most of the times you would want to do such a thing.

Isn't that like in the third tier of unlocks? I won't get that for a while.

Trace

Banned
Isn't that like in the third tier of unlocks? I won't get that for a while.

It doesn't take that long to get really. Assuming you do some stuff at night, grab air drops and do some side quests it all unlocks fairly fast.

Also keep an eye out for things to fall on, garbage bags/wooden roofs/etc, they're there to break your fall.

Omg anyone get to the leg breaking challenge?

I can't break legs for shit because the stupid auto aim goes for the head even if I'm staring straight at the floor.

Top Bottom