• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah, the human enemies can definitely pose a challenge with their dodges and blocks. Fighting them kind of feels like an evolution of the system used in Condemned.

Anyway, a lot of different dynamics come together and really make this game something special. When weighed together on the whole, it is much greater than the sum of it's parts.

Jrs3000

Thanks for the advice, guys. Interesting that both of you mentioned the molotov. I don't actually have one in my inventory, and I unlocked the grapple skill after I gave up on the side quest. I shall revisit their camp with my new grapple move and molotov tonight.

What I did was the cat and mouse game like you said, and hitting their legs, they can't seem to dodge those. I noticed there were a few gas tanks lying around, I could throw them at the bandits but didn't have a gun to detonate......

I discovered this late but fireworks can detonate oil puddles and canisters. Throw canister at them or have them near it then throw fireworks.

Uuuuhhh, there's no auto aim option.

No, it's a challenge where you have to break legs with a bat.

There is auto aim for for melee and ranged weapons. I learned this rule back in dead island turn that ish off, it makes the game so much better. Look in the menu again under controls or game.

Melee auto aim?
there is in my game, I remember it.
And .. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/716561-dying-light/71117415?page=2
(yeah i know, gamefaqs)

I dunno I can't find it. PC version.
There's something in the keybindings, but it's off.

After doing this a dozen times, I actually think it's the zombie grabbing you while the melee goes off, so it hits them in the head.

Anyway, I managed to pull it off. I crouched attack as much as possible and swung like crazy while going for the biggest pack.

I dunno I can't find it. PC version.
There's something in the keybindings, but it's off.

After doing this a dozen times, I actually think it's the zombie grabbing you while the melee goes off, so it hits them in the head.

Anyway, I managed to pull it off. I crouched attack as much as possible and swung like crazy while going for the biggest pack.

It is in the PS4 version. weird.

robot

The multiplayer freeze bug is a real bummer. My friend and I finally got through the prologue and had to deal with 8 crashes in 2 hours before finally giving up. This gen is on fire with broken releases.

Weird thing was no matter who hosted, he was the one that crashed back to the PS Home screen. Mine never crashed.

An otherwise great game. Some really cool stuff going on in this game. Night is no joke, I was bookin ass back to base.

pahamrick

Has there been any talk from the devs about a patch and when? Sorry, thread a bit big to wade through for it.

There was a post on the techland forums that the first patch is in the works and will fix CPU issues for the PC version, save game corrupting issue for all platforms, and other things.

Corpekata

Banned
Alright some guard keeps telling me about a house with red smoke which I presume is a quest of some sort but I can't find the house. Anyone know where it is?

Where do I find syringes and painkillers? I've yet to find a single one for a side mission and I'm 50% through the story.

Edit: never mind, I had to have the quest tracked for them to spawn in medical cabinets. -_-

Alright some guard keeps telling me about a house with red smoke which I presume is a quest of some sort but I can't find the house. Anyone know where it is?

Go to your map and its actually highlighted with and exclamation point. Took me hours to realize they put everything you need on the map. I always wondered why you'd talk to someone about doing a quest but it never put it in your quest list.

Its on the bottom left of the map if I remember correctly.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Side quests give you parkour and combat progress in the sense that you are doing shit to do those quests. I'm lvl 7 in agi and 8 in combat, and I've seen youtubers doing story missions that I'm at and they have like half of that, one assumes they are skipping all the side stuff

And quality is subjective, some of the side quests are very involved but ok
10 in agility, 5 in combat XD
Outside of that reported glitch, this thread is full of insanely good impressions.

Really that good, huh GAF? I mean, my friend and I had a ton of fun with Dead Island, despite it's problems, so this seems like it'd be a no-brainer for me.
It's really fantastic. I have no experience with Dead Island to compare though. I have a bunch of impressions typed up, but I want to do a little co-op to be able to describe it first.

at this point I'm actively avoiding melee combat almost completely, in favor of either avoiding combat altogether or more creative killing methods. Not because the combat is bad- I assume it gets to be pretty awesome with unlocks, as does the parkour.

I don't get too attached to my melee weapons. have yet to upgrade a single one
http://zippy.gfycat.com/SameColorlessBelugawhale.webm

Corpekata

Banned
Go to your map and its actually highlighted with and exclamation point. Took me hours to realize they put everything you need on the map. I always wondered why you'd talk to someone about doing a quest but it never put it in your quest list.

Its on the bottom left of the map if I remember correctly.

Hmm, I looked for markers but didn't see any. But I can't say I remember looking over there so will check it out.

Anyone do the gas side quest for Jeff. He was pretty funny but Wow the way it ends. It killed all three of us playing co op but we laughed our assessment off. Here we thought the dudes idea was legit. I guess not. Also yes, I fully agree the dialog and some of these side quests are great. Sitting at 11 hours and 15% completion.

pahamrick

Anyone do the gas side quest for Jeff. He was pretty funny but Wow the way it ends. It killed all three of us playing co op but we laughed our assessment off. Here we thought the dudes idea was legit. I guess not. Also yes, I fully agree the dialog and some of these side quests are great. Sitting at 11 hours and 15% completion.

I had a feeling things weren't going to go well when the objective
"Reach a Safe Distance"
popped up.

They shouldn't have put in this stupid decapitation challenge when their hit detection is so terrible. I gotta cut zombies in half. Aim for the torso, head comes off. Aim for the Torso, legs comes off. Aim for the torso, does an overhead swing. WTF!

It's in the pc version also

Yeah where?

Oneself

So, I've been playing for a couple of hours now and I must say that it's a much better game than I thought it would be. I love the "Condemned" style of combat, the big Mirror's Edge influence and controls, the sound design, the music and the amazing feeling of discovery & exploration ... And survival!

Karak

So, I've been playing for a couple of hours now and I must say that it's a much better game than I thought it would be. I love the "Condemned" style of combat, the big Mirror's Edge influence and controls, the sound design, the music and the amazing feeling of discovery & exploration ... And survival!

Ya its a true surprise

Outside of that reported glitch, this thread is full of insanely good impressions.

Really that good, huh GAF? I mean, my friend and I had a ton of fun with Dead Island, despite it's problems, so this seems like it'd be a no-brainer for me.

Considering the amount of fun I've had playing this game, man...it's putting in full relief how little review scores should really matter. I never even heard of it before I saw the quick look on Giant Bomb and it immediately hooked me just watching it on video.

I really have a feeling I would be having a lot more fun if my friends played anything but LoL. It sounds like co-op is a blast.

Beat the story in about 20 hours. The story of this game was really all over the place, and of course they ended it with
a QTE boss fight.

Gonna go back through and try to finish up the rest of the achievements.

Have they mentioned what the DLC is going to be?

Edit: Also should mention I avoided all throwables, shields, traps, and whatever the temporary boosters were.

Gonna have to check to make sure, but pretty sure I ended the game with about level 15 in all trees.

Chanser

Season Pass will bring you three exciting DLC packs. Put your skills to the ultimate test in the exclusive Cuisine & Cargo challenge missions, get your hands on additional weapons and skins, and take part in The Bozak Horde - a brand-new competitive game mode.

New game mode might be interesting.

pahamrick

I really have a feeling I would be having a lot more fun if my friends played anything but LoL. It sounds like co-op is a blast.

Beat the story in about 20 hours. The story of this game was really all over the place, and of course they ended it with
a QTE boss fight.

Gonna go back through and try to finish up the rest of the achievements.

Here's whats listed for the Season Pass.

• Cuisine & Cargo – Available first for Season Pass holders, these two hardcore missions let players put their skills to the ultimate test. Investigate buildings sealed off in the very first days of the outbreak – with the infected inside. Explore ominous corridors of once the most famous restaurant in Harran, and employ both stealth and combat to ransack a zombie-filled loading bay at an abandoned railroad yard.
  • Ultimate Survivor Bundle – Players will receive seven unique in-game items that will bring fighting zombies to a whole new level. Grab three special outfits and four blueprints for over-the-top weapons to make your survival in the quarantine zone a good bit easier.
  • The Bozak Horde – The final Season Pass drop will deliver a new map and gameplay, playable in either single-player or co-op. Go inside the Harran Stadium, the most famous landmark in the city, and test your combat know-how against relentless hordes of the Infected. Fight increasingly stronger and larger enemy waves as you oppose a mysterious psychopath called Bozak.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Just finished the main story. 18hs in total, only 50% of the game completed. Overall this was a nice surprise, i can see this being the sleeper hit of the year.

That final boss fight though, so bad, it gave me
Shadow of Mordor
feels

Just finished the main story. 18hs in total, only 50% of the game completed. Overall this was a nice surprise, i can see this being the sleeper hit of the year.

That final boss fight though, so bad, it gave me
Shadow of Mordor
feels
It was much worse than that in my opinion, considering
your character had the opportunity to end the man's life several times before. Also, keyboard QTEs suck.

AngerdX

Just fired this up, time to get it on, also if any would be up for some co op a bit later, on PS4, need to get this tutorial crap done first, wish i could skip it and just go. :)

Trouble

Banned
Fun play session tonight. Fell through the world and died. Then respawned in a safe zone with about a dozen virals patrolling the perimeter.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just fired this up, time to get it on, also if any would be up for some co op a bit later, on PS4, need to get this tutorial crap done first, wish i could skip it and just go. :)
i would have instantly taken that option.

just experiencing my first invasion. I can see how it can go when you have a bunch more stuff but the zombie has an unlock tree too right..?

BeeDog

How do the guns work in this game? Finally found an Assault Rifle (still no pistols!); I checked its stats and it doesn't seem to degrade, correct? Do you simply use up the ammo in the weapon then discard/sell it, or can you actually find/buy ammo?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
They shouldn't have put in this stupid decapitation challenge when their hit detection is so terrible. I gotta cut zombies in half. Aim for the torso, head comes off. Aim for the Torso, legs comes off. Aim for the torso, does an overhead swing. WTF!

Yeah where?

I'm still at work, I'll check when I'm home but it's in the options on the main menu (not sure if it shows up when in game)

Top Bottom