• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

Melchiah

You can upgrade them with elemental effects, as well as equip them with "gems" that permanently increase stats (including Durability) for the life of the weapon.

And there is a skill tree upgrade that gives you a high percentage chance to not use up one of the weapon's repair points upon repairing.

That's good, but there's a limit to how many times you can repair them?

Ominym

Banned
I feel like by time the weapon you're currently using is about to come down to its last repair, you're already picking up weapons all over the place that are better than it. There's a good curve.
Dying Light does this so well. I'll get a weapon I love, use it for an hour or two then wow, shiny new weapon. Every time I get a new good weapon I move my older favorites down the four spot equiped list. Last weapon on the list gets cut from the roster, sold, and I move on.

In fact, I think the only weapon I've kept for a majority of the game is a really good gun I bought that I use for special occasions. Other than that, I'm rotating weapons close to every hour or two.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yeah, you can get back to the first map through the hub of the second map or something like that.

The second map is so much better than the first by the way.

its overwhelming at first, especially the verticality. I ran a lot before you see >_>

antitrop

That's good, but there's a limit to how many times you can repair them?
Yes. Near the end of the game, my 4 weapon slots are filled by a 2H Sword, Double-barreled Shotgun, Military Rifle, and an American 9mm.

Guns are OP, but I use the sword like 90% of the time, it's still the most efficient way to kill mass zombies by a mile. The duration seems to last forever, as well, and when it breaks I can just go back to the shop and buy another one. Supplies for crafting weapon upgrades are easy to come by, so I don't see a reason to want to get married to a weapon.

EDIT: I think it's time for me to go get that Machete.

Nokterian

Yes. Near the end of the game, my 4 weapon slots are filled by a 2H Sword, Double-barreled Shotgun, Military Rifle, and an American 9mm.

Guns are OP, but I use the sword like 90% of the time, it's still the most efficient way to kill mass zombies by a mile. The duration seems to last forever, as well, and when it breaks I can just go back to the shop and buy another one. Supplies for crafting weapon upgrades are easy to come by, so I don't see a reason to want to get married to a weapon.

Antitrop is..

machete-kills-promo-poster.jpg

:p

Seems like every gameplay decision implemented was prefaced with the question, "Is this fun?" before they implemented it.

I haven't had this big a smile on my face playing a game in quite a while.

Bout 6 hours in. Coop with my wife.

So you clicked a spoiler tag and are upset you were spoiled?

How the hell am I supposed to know what it was about? I'm 70% through the game and almost maxed out stat wise. What if it was a spoiler from the beginning? I was trying to answer the question.

There's a proper way to spoiler tag for a reason, don't be obtuse.

I'm trying to get a box of chocolates for that mentally disabled guy living with his mum. But I cant find it. I've followed the map but I'm obviously doing something wronged or the side quest is bugged. Help?

Corpekata

Banned
Co-op in this game is weird. Someone joined ME and it turned my game to night and I had access to presumably his abilities like the car bombs. After I left I'm fairly certain it's unlocked all the safehouses he had too, which is kind of annoying (though thankfully I didn't have many left). I'd kinda get it if I had joined someone else but not the other way around.

jediyoshi

Co-op in this game is weird. Someone joined ME and it turned my game to night and I had access to presumably his abilities like the car bombs. After I left I'm fairly certain it's unlocked all the safehouses he had too, which is kind of annoying (though thankfully I didn't have many left). I'd kinda get it if I had joined someone else but not the other way around.

Was your game open to the public? By default it's set to SP.

Corpekata

Banned
Was your game open to the public? By default it's set to SP.

Yes, I know why he joined me. I meant why it took HIS world and pasted it onto mine since he joined me. If should be the person that's hosting be the baseline for that stuff like it is in most games. And it certainly shouldn't have me keep safehouses he had unlocked in the past.

Melchiah

Machetes and katanas were my go-to weapons in DI. Disappointed to hear the weapons have an expiration date. I miss my vomit-inducing Deathstalker katana.

x-Lundz-x

So is there a progress bug in this game? I've been playing the whole game coop and whenever we get done it puts me back in single player mode and my checkpoint is way back, like 6 hours of game time back and my stats are all kinds of messed up.

Does this game alleviate the issue of repetition in Dead Island? I got so tired of the repetitive (melee) gameplay in DI that I quit in the third act after committing more than twenty hours to the game.

Does this game do it better?

Nokterian

Does this game alleviate the issue of repetition in Dead Island? I got so tired of the repetitive (melee) gameplay in DI that I quit in the third act after committing more than twenty hours to the game.

Does this game do it better?

The melee and parkour are very satisfying take a look at the gifs and video's in this thread also a bunch of the reactions it is a very solid game.

Well, that's exactly why I'm not sure if I'd like DL. I really liked Dead Island, its main problems were the tedious sidequests and long length, not the gameplay itself. If they've changed what I think made Dead Island good, I don't think I'd enjoy playing it.

It's good to hear you can avoid most of the nightime chases though.

You can skip the nighttime chases, but they're also pretty easy to avoid, at least in my experience. The volatiles wander around like normal zombies and their cones of vision show on the minimap.

I've played for about eight hours now. I can't imagine anyone who liked Dead Island not liking this.

How the hell am I supposed to know what it was about? I'm 70% through the game and almost maxed out stat wise. What if it was a spoiler from the beginning? I was trying to answer the question.

There's a proper way to spoiler tag for a reason, don't be obtuse.
You're 100% right. If I didn't know about it already and wasn't worried about spoilers in this game I would be upset as fuck. That guy did terrible fucking spoilers.

Have they spoke any about patches just yet?

Pc patch supposedly out. Working on console one apparently.

impact

Banned
You can skip the nighttime chases, but they're also pretty easy to avoid, at least in my experience. The volatiles wander around like normal zombies and their cones of vision show on the minimap.

I've played for about eight hours now. I can't imagine anyone who liked Dead Island not liking this.

Echoing this. I don't think there's one person who liked DI that wouldn't like DL. If that person exists they're just trying to be edgy.

Ran into that input lag bug again. Closing the game out and starting again fixes, but I haven't heard of anyone else experiencing. Really strange

Afro

Quick question again.

That one skill that gives you a "power attack" says it's only available for one-handed weapons and yet it seems to work fine with my baseball bat. I hold the trigger, he winds up, and slams down hard. Is this a glitch?

Just bought the PC version this afternoon. I've been hit with the erased inventory bug... should I not bother with the game until this is fixed? For some reason I thought this was a console only problem as the PC version was already patched to fix this issue.

Echoing this. I don't think there's one person who liked DI that wouldn't like DL. If that person exists they're just trying to be edgy.

Mm. It is a very similar game. I do like this game but imo the combat isn't as satisfying. It feels less precise maybe? I'm not sure. So I could see someone liking Dead Island and not Dying Light. It's not enough to put me off, but I'm already kind of looking past this towards DI2, might be a little more up the alley of evolution I was looking for. This one kind of takes itself too seriously and doesn't necessarily lean into the things they are good at. I'll definitely see it through though, so don't get me wrong, but I'm not sure I'd paint someone as being edgy if they felt they didn't like this at all after enjoying DI. It is basically a sequel but not necessarily a better game.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Just bought the PC version this afternoon. I've been hit with the erased inventory bug... should I not bother with the game until this is fixed? For some reason I thought this was a console only problem as the PC version was already patched to fix this issue.

This was already patched. Did you update?

antitrop

Ran into that input lag bug again. Closing the game out and starting again fixes, but I haven't heard of anyone else experiencing. Really strange
The bug that I run into most commonly is that if you're in the middle of a challenge when your nighttime watch alarm is supposed to go off, when the challenge instance is over and you go back to the "main game", the watch alarm will beep forever until you reload the save. Especially annoying if you're on the PS4, as it comes out of the fucking controller. :p

Once you get up there in level with the freerunning the game really blossoms in my opinion. It controls so well, my favorite part about it. Lots of great things in the game.

antitrop

Once you get up there in level with the freerunning the game really blossoms in my opinion. It controls so well, my favorite part about it. Lots of great things in the game.

Ya, it was probably around Level 18-20 in Agility or so that my opinion of the game went from okay to good.

Quick question again.

That one skill that gives you a "power attack" says it's only available for one-handed weapons and yet it seems to work fine with my baseball bat. I hold the trigger, he winds up, and slams down hard. Is this a glitch?

I think it only considers the giant hammers and axes as two handed, and the rest one handed as far as moves go.

Melchiah

That's reassuring to hear. I'll be getting the game eventually. On a side note, it'll be interesting to see how DI2 turns out. I like it's colorful tone, which reminds me of the resort area in the original.

is it really the case you cant cancel a throw that you are aiming?
stuff like molotovs etc are not to be wasted. Once your arm is up, thats it?

The bug that I run into most commonly is that if you're in the middle of a challenge when your nighttime watch alarm is supposed to go off, when the challenge instance is over and you go back to the "main game", the watch alarm will beep forever until you reload the save. Especially annoying if you're on the PS4, as it comes out of the fucking controller. :p

Hmm...haven't seen that one. I had the input lag thing happen again right after I fixed it. I'm beginning to wonder if it could be my controller. Other than that, the only real bug I experienced was falling though the ground to my death when sliding >_<

antitrop

I think it only considers the giant hammers and axes as two handed, and the rest one handed as far as moves go.

Nah, there are tons of two-handed weapons. I know it's obvious, but you can tell by looking at the hands of the character while you have it equipped. Like the Katana, for example.

Hmm...haven't seen that one. I had the input lag thing happen again right after I fixed it. I'm beginning to wonder if it could be my controller. Other than that, the only real bug I experienced was falling though the ground to my death when sliding >_<

I was crouch-walking through an air-duct and the collision glitched and I thought I was stuck in the geometry and I would have to reload, but I was able to weasel my way up through the geometry into the top of the level, where I could freely walk around on top of the entire indoor level, until I found a place it let me drop back down to the game and carry on normally.

antitrop

is it really the case you cant cancel a throw that you are aiming?
stuff like molotovs etc are not to be wasted. Once your arm is up, thats it?

I was swimming in Molotovs after the first few hours.

But if you're really that concerned about it, the only way I've found is that if you walk off a ledge that will give you a bit of fall damage while you're holding down L2, that will let you not waste it. Or going into the water.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
This is so much fun CoOp. Been playing on and off last few days with my brother and dam we having a ball. Got all the houses unlocked in what I assume is the 1st area, keep racing to get air drops, helping random event npc and doing the side quest. It's so cool finding a police van and while one of us unlocks it the other is kick zombies around and bashing in there heads.

Tried to play far cry 4 after it and dam u miss that free run stuff.

dear god that polyamory trophy was a pain.

it really takes time, effort, and coordination to get it and proof that mp trophies really do SUCK!

hardest trophy in the game

my road to the platinum is easier now though

Top Bottom