• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
We're in the OT for dying light. If you didn't want spoilers for dying light you shouldn't have clicked on the spoiler tag. Don't worry it literally does nothing.

Most of us are still playing through the game and don't want surprises ruined for us. If you're going to write something that contains potential spoiler material, then you should preface it with the mission/section of the game that it comes from. Or at least the nature of the spoiler. Like whether it's a plot thing, or a secret weapon.

Most of us are still playing through the game and don't want surprises ruined for us. If you're going to write something that contains potential spoiler material, then you should preface it with the mission/section of the game that it comes from. Or at least the nature of the spoiler. Like whether it's a plot thing, or a secret weapon.

I would have, but theres really not much to preface. Theres a side mission and when you beat it the guy gives you that as a reward. If I said what the side mission was, that would be a spoiler too, so I just spoiler tagged the whole thing.

pa22word

Fuck multiplayer Trophies

Don't take this the wrong way, but I've always scratched my head at people who complain about this. Aren't trophies/cheevos just icons of digital achievement based on arbitrary set goals anyways? They're totally pointless in the actual scheme of the way the game plays out, so why complain if they attribute some to the mp side of things? Especially in a coop game.

The reason that they exist for MP is the same reason they exist for SP: because it helps the developers gauge which features are most ubiquitously played and not, and gauge how they can adjust for that with patches and/or in the sequel. Like if 50% if the players get the beat 20 missions in coop, they can see that for a lot of their audience is really interested in the coop aspect of the game and they need to tighten focus on it and incorporate it more into the design of the next game. Likewise, if it turns out only 5% of players got a cheevo for doing an invasion at all in their playthrough of the game they need to focus on why people are not actively engaging in PvP and how they can better stack the odds for PvPers in the future to better incentivize actively engaging in PvP.

In fact, devs using the stats provided by cheevos are really the only practical usage of them, so complaining about them being applied to both aspects of the game simply because you do not engage in the other side of it seems...I don't know, pretty damned selfish, honestly.

If you have to think about whether or not you should click on a spoiler tag, don't click on it. Simply put, that's what they're there for. If you don't want to be spoiled on a vague spoiler tag don't click on it.

pa22word

Anyone know how to check what the current time is besides that stupid watch on your hand that's barely visible

Look at the sun. It's the best feature of the dynamic lighting, honestly. The colors of the sky and positioning of the sun accurately portrays the time of day with startling precision.

If the sun is straight above you, you have half the day left. If it's quarter east with blueish tinge to the sky then you have 75% of the day left. If it's quarter west and the sky has an orangish hue you have 25% of the day left. You have a compass on the minimap so judging cardinal directions should never be problematic.

Aske

The reason players care about acheivements is because they correlate to effort invested in various facets of a game. For those of us who don't want them just to increase gamerscore, it's fun to overcome a few extra challenges and unlock 100% of acheivements on games we really love. Saints Row 4 has a multiplayer component, but I was able to Platinum the game in single player, and I enjoyed doing so. I'd have lost that experience if the game required me to screw around in multiplayer; and accepting I could never get them all, I'd have just ignored all the trophies.

I wish they weren't rewarded periodically for clearing chapters, because then they become disruptive rather than exciting to unlock, but I enjoy the extra dimension of challenge/reward they bring to games overall.

This game was all happy fun time until I got to the
Public Face
mission in Old Town. Something about walking those halls was tense enough, but when I could hear
that baby crying, and it turned out to be a wretched zombie baby
, I don't think I could backpedal and pause for a quick breath fast enough.

That usually gets reserved for Silent Hill games...wasn't expecting a moment like that here. Even night time didn't elicit that reaction out of me. Well done Techland.

jond76

Banned
I think I'm on the cusp of leaving for the second map and the counter says 38% complete. I've been doing side quests because I've been loving the world so much.

Hansen's quest
... Was very creepy. The setup was neat with finding the dead guy then learning that the remainder of the people were stuck on the roof.. Crazy. It was this mission that solidified Techlands success at building this world and getting me to play along. I thought of that scenario as if I saw it in a movie or heard it on the news. Made me stop and think how crappy of a situation it was.

Love this game.

If you have to think about whether or not you should click on a spoiler tag, don't click on it. Simply put, that's what they're there for. If you don't want to be spoiled on a vague spoiler tag don't click on it.

Vague being the problem. People spoiler tag all sorts of useless shit so when it's important it should be etiquette to preface it in some way. Especially when the game is new.

Trying to do that stupid chop off 30 arms challenge and man its frustrating as hell that I cant target limbs, fucking zombies randomly lunge at me and I take off their heads before the arms thus it doesn't count, that or they put up their arms at the last second and i cut through their torsos :/

I've done the challenge like 6 takes and the best i got was 27 before I ran out of zombies/time :/

I think I'm on the cusp of leaving for the second map and the counter says 38% complete. I've been doing side quests because I've been loving the world so much.

Hansen's quest
... Was very creepy. The setup was neat with finding the dead guy then learning that the remainder of the people were stuck on the roof.. Crazy. It was this mission that solidified Techlands success at building this world and getting me to play along. I thought of that scenario as if I saw it in a movie or heard it on the news. Made me stop and think how crappy of a situation it was.

Love this game.

It's really interesting to see some folks reactions to side quests in the game. Some think they are boring or uninteresting. Me and my friends playing, find them interesting and sometimes comical.

ptuck874

The first time you're out at night for real....holy crap.

yeppers, got around to doing that just a few minutes ago (finally playing with it tonight) , wife walked up behind the recliner and made me jump, turned it off for the night, have no idea why games freak me out some times.....

Zeliard

The first time you're out at night for real....holy crap.

Nighttime is really impressive in this game. Reminds me of the likes of modded STALKER titles and Dragon's Dogma in terms of making nighttime both vision-obscuring and feeling dangerous to an extent you rarely see in games.

Also anyone else kinda obsessed with farming zombies with molotov's for easy xp? Found this to be the fastest way to lvl fighting skills early on since for normal melee took way too long and my agility skills were getting over a level ahead of my fighting skills

I found a real nice cluster of them near Jeff's fortress, I just climb onto a shed and huddle them together with firecrackers and rain nonstop fire on them...so many drops to loot...

Trouble

Banned
Also anyone else kinda obsessed with farming zombies with molotov's for easy xp?

I found a real nice cluster of them near Jeff's fortress, I just climb onto a shed and huddle them together with firecrackers and rain nonstop fire on them...so many drops to loot...

It's great until one stumbles into a fuel drum and the virals swarm.

It's great until one stumbles into a fuel drum and the virals swarm.

Haha, then just stay on high ground, kick em off and roast them, they run out of virals eventually, or if you have the stomp skill stomping them while they're climbing up to you is satisfying too.

tesqui

Look at the sun. It's the best feature of the dynamic lighting, honestly. The colors of the sky and positioning of the sun accurately portrays the time of day with startling precision.

If the sun is straight above you, you have half the day left. If it's quarter east with blueish tinge to the sky then you have 75% of the day left. If it's quarter west and the sky has an orangish hue you have 25% of the day left. You have a compass on the minimap so judging cardinal directions should never be problematic.

This game has some awesome attention to detail. I was surprised that even the digital clocks in the environment accurately tell the in-game time.

just tried out the be the zombie game mode with a friend and gotta say it was awesome. i was surprised that the zombie has his own skill tree.

will defo try it out again

such an amazing game dying light

Haunted

Nighttime is really impressive in this game. Reminds me of the likes of modded STALKER titles and Dragon's Dogma in terms of making nighttime both vision-obscuring and feeling dangerous to an extent you rarely see in games.
Definitely. Few games have the balls to make nighttime actually dark.

This game was all happy fun time until I got to the
Public Face
mission in Old Town. Something about walking those halls was tense enough, but when I could hear
that baby crying, and it turned out to be a wretched zombie baby
, I don't think I could backpedal and pause for a quick breath fast enough.

That usually gets reserved for Silent Hill games...wasn't expecting a moment like that here. Even night time didn't elicit that reaction out of me. Well done Techland.
Yup, that was a good moment.

I am not mad at the reviews but I have a hard time seeing this as a 7 after 11 hours of play. I think reviewers have been too harsh all around this gen. Maybe it trails off but I'm close to giving it a personal 9 right now.

Grisby

Oh sweet joy at that grappling hook. Let's me get across mountain tops easier.

I could've sworn I got all the herbs for that lavender quest. But now it seems like they disappeared. Everything else is cool though.

pa22word

Vague being the problem. People spoiler tag all sorts of useless shit so when it's important it should be etiquette to preface it in some way. Especially when the game is new.
Again, if you worry at all about being spoiled then don't click on it. Especially if you're so uptight about spoilers that someone mentioning a future weapon in a game with millions of potential weaponry variations might throw you into a tizzy.

Again, if you worry at all about being spoiled then don't click on it. Especially if you're so uptight about spoilers that someone mentioning a future weapon in a game with millions of potential weaponry variations might throw you into a tizzy.

I don't know if the thrown into a tizzy comment is directed at me or the person complaining they had it spoiled but I didn't read it nor own the game yet. I was simply stating that spoiler etiquette in general for a new game should be to preface them. There's really no excuse to not put something like "Late game spoiler:" or "Late game weapon:" for all the time it takes. Also if it's a question, more people are likely to check it and answer if they have an idea when/where in the game it pertains to.

Was having a blast with the game once I started playing Co-Op. Went to quit the game, and the game crashed. Re-launched the game and all weapons, items, and stats are gone. Deleted game and put back in Gamefly Envelope and put it in the mailbox. Guess I'll watch a video walkthrough of the game.

webkatt

I am shocked at how much I am liking this game.

It wasn't on my radar as it was from the dead island guys and those games had way to much jank.

I'm calling it. My GOTY 2015.

Sorry UC4

Am i missing something????i have both ps4 and xbox one version's of this game and the ps4 has lobby browser but the bone only has quickjoin and party????

This is a pretty big fuckup if its not on the one???

Or did i just miss a menu or something??

dangeROSS

This game is a blast. I really enjoyed the Dead Island series and Dying light has gone in a fun new direction. I dig the parkour aspect of movement. It's a cool mix of speed while still having to be cautious of the zeds. I just got my hands on the grappling hook, and I can't wait to see what you can do with it.

That first night in the dark was some intense stuff. Pretty interesting idea that adds some real danger to the world.

Made some clips of playing:

http://youtu.be/Zj1rg8uLan0

pahamrick

More of on the edge of a platform.
How can a game about climbing not see this?
You go up. You also need to go down

Techland

Considering how much emphasis they put on jumping down onto things for safe landings (cars, garbage, roofs made from cardboard, ect) or using the zip lines they probably didn't even consider people would want to climb down.

Megasoum

Banned
Is there any reliable ways to get upgrades? Haven't seen them at vendors and now that I'm getting newer better weapons, I wish I would get better stuff than just Juggernaut.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Anybody want to help me with this chop 30 zombies in half challenge? It's the last thing I need to do before I progress the story.

I despise the invasion system. It doesn't feel like someone is seamlessly invading your game the way it does in Dark Souls. It feels like they are sucking you out of your game into a whole different mode.

Cynn

Was having a blast with the game once I started playing Co-Op. Went to quit the game, and the game crashed. Re-launched the game and all weapons, items, and stats are gone. Deleted game and put back in Gamefly Envelope and put it in the mailbox. Guess I'll watch a video walkthrough of the game.
I back my saves up to a flash drive before I play co-op each night as insurance. I suggest everyone do that until a fix hits.

Kard8p3

oh the man
grappling hook
is the best skill in the game so far.

Also if anyone else is annoyed w/ fighting the running zombies, breaking the legs with the slide kick instantly kills them.

Chabbles

Man this game is fun. Im enjoying this as much as the resort area in the original Dead Island, maybe more. I hope for DL2 they get more creative with the missions and side quests though, they make this cool world but fill it with a bunch of fetch quests. I wonder what sort of missions someone like rockstar could think up in this world. so much more crazy shit could be done.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I am shocked at how much I am liking this game.

It wasn't on my radar as it was from the dead island guys and those games had way to much jank.

I'm calling it. My GOTY 2015.

Sorry UC4
lmao it's january.
oh the man
grappling hook
is the best skill in the game so far.

Also if anyone else is annoyed w/ fighting the running zombies, breaking the legs will the slide kick instantly kills them.
awesome. i just unlocked that and hate virals a lot.

Seriously, boomers are the worst shit in this game. One shot everytime I think I'm just attacking a normal zombie, and then restart the whole section. shit

Yeah. Volatiles are extremely hard to kill, atleast with the equipment I have. And getting caught by one, they call out to any other ones nearby, meaning you're not gonna have a good time.

Top Bottom