• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think reviewers are mad because they cannot get an early access for this game ?

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/dying-light - 73/100 for PS4

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/dying-light - 72/100 for XB1

The game is really good imo.

XxXkbmY.png

a lot still missing from that list. Here's what I'd call the thrust of gamespot's 3 points of negative
But oh, Dying Light, how you irritate me. I hate you for the gunners that ambushed me as I swam underwater, because there was no way to know how to react until I emerged and discovered that I wasn't meant to peek my head out--not yet. I hate you for that time you filled the screen with so much haze and bloom during a boss fight that I couldn't see properly. I hate that sequence when you made me leap from one pole to another, because you made it hard to get a good look at my surroundings, and your button prompts are hardly generous. And I hate these moments most because your systems are strong enough to let the open-world gameplay do the heavy lifting. The harder you try to direct the action, the weaker you become.
While I'm definitely not far enough to have encountered some of the mission settings he is talking about, I don't really get "irritated" playing it.
Seriously, boomers are the worst shit in this game. One shot everytime I think I'm just attacking a normal zombie, and then restart the whole section. shit
Bombers. my playstyle has prepared me for their existence nicely.
Yeah. Volatiles are extremely hard to kill, atleast with the equipment I have. And getting caught by one, they call out to any other ones nearby, meaning you're not gonna have a good time.
on the other hand, people have talked about being able to fight off multiple volatiles, I can't even make a dent, that's nuts. But they'll never see me :)

Went to that broken bridge today. I suspect the bridge has respawning zombies. Especially the virals. I'm okay with zombies respawning, but I think its better if they did it overnight or when you're out of the area.

Chabbles

This game could really use a setting to hide all onscreen hud, for those times you just want to aimlessly wander around killing zombies for awhile. Hud to hudless is night and day in terms of immersion.

tesqui

Damn dude! I can take down a volatile with 3 swings at this point! My weapons @ 800+ damage LOL! It was initally @ 500 dmg, but I loaded it with 3 weapon perks and a blueprint.

I've gotten the best weapons from strictly searching for police vans with Very Hard lock pick level. It's actually not that hard once you clear the surrounding area of zombies and go to town on the lock pick mini game.

This game truly is a blast. It's got the same level of addiction as Far cry 3 had on me. I can't stop playing! Also I don't mind the sidequests. most of the reviews hate them, but I'm just happy to be doing shit to level up.

on the other hand, people have talked about being able to fight off multiple volatiles, I can't even make a dent, that's nuts. But they'll never see me :)

Maybe with guns~

Someone mentioned talking volatiles, I actually found a talking Feral.(The uh, recently turned ones). I kicked her, she recoiled and put her arms in a defensive position and it sounded like she said 'Please, don't hurt me' before making grunting again.

Huh. Edit-Also I dunno if this is a glitch, but DIY grenades don't make any noise when going off. As in, no explosion sound. Apparently if you're not looking at it? Maybe it's just a PS Gold headset issue?. Hrm.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Maybe with guns~

Someone mentioned talking volatiles, I actually found a talking Feral.(The uh, recently turned ones). I kicked her, she recoiled and put her arms in a defensive position and it sounded like she said 'Please, don't hurt me' before making grunting again.

Huh. Edit-Also I dunno if this is a glitch, but DIY grenades don't make any noise when going off. As in, no explosion sound. Apparently if you're not looking at it? Maybe it's just a PS Gold headset issue?. Hrm.
"virals" are the recently turned ones that talk. I don't know if volatiles ever talk. virals creep me the fuck out if you don't take them out in one shot.

"virals" are the recently turned ones that talk. I don't know if volatiles ever talk. virals creep me the fuck out if you don't take them out in one shot.

Right, Virals, dunno why I call em ferals. But yeah, they're the ones that make me panic the most. Like, sometimes even throwing molotovs or executing a large amount of zombies seems to attract them.

This game is a blast. I really enjoyed the Dead Island series and Dying light has gone in a fun new direction. I dig the parkour aspect of movement. It's a cool mix of speed while still having to be cautious of the zeds. I just got my hands on the grappling hook, and I can't wait to see what you can do with it.

That first night in the dark was some intense stuff. Pretty interesting idea that adds some real danger to the world.

Made some clips of playing:

http://youtu.be/Zj1rg8uLan0

This video made me laugh so hard

Corpekata

Banned
Anyone completed the Binoculars quest? I'm sitting staring at a pair that it won't let me pick up. Thought maybe I already got them elsewhere but don't see anywhere to turn it in.

Spinluck

Be the Zombie mode is what Evolve should strive to be. To think they almost made it a preorder bonus.

Lol, no. The mode is trash.

I thought it was great at first, but it's extremely flawed and unbalanced for the monster.

Maybe they should have taken a page from Evolve as far as balance goes.

Corpekata

Banned

I thought it was great at first, but it's extremely flawed and unbalanced for the monster.

Yeah. Seems like it would be an easy fix to nerf things like survivor sense. Way too powerful knowing where the zombie is at all times + the UV flashlights.

Maybe make it so when the zombie yells to get the player locations that it shows up on player radar for a bit too (which makes sense given it's an intense howl).

Nah its not, if the human actually understands the game and their exploits its perfectly beatable.

they could certainly balance it. They seem keen to patch the game to improve it.

By the way, respawning/despawning should have been easy to get right but so many games don't get it right. Even GTA5 de-spawns cars that are close to you, that you've JUST seen, and then you look back and poof they are gone.

Dying Light should build into its engine never to spawn things anywhere within sight, or recently in sight. It is immersion breaking to have mobs appear out of thin air. There are so many zombies that it wouldn't change the balance much to keep the spawning out of view.

It does seem to happen more in 4 person co-op, perhaps the spawning is a bit glitchy in that mode.

Friend cleared a tunnel full of Volatiles for me, and pushed into a corner I killed a couple myself. I have a 937 Machete. I think it's just a matter of having your Power leveled up above 12 or so.

Spitters are more annoying than Boomers to me. They have range, jump around and take 30% of your health with one hit. Ran into 4 in a small area and would have died if not for my grappling hook.

DirtyLarry

I am truly terrified of the night, haven't done a single nighttime mission yet actually. I think I need to level up way more than where I am currently at. Anyone know the formula for the game determining how many survivor points you lose when you die? I've taken some pretty big losses and I'm not sure why?

Such a damn fun game though. I seriously don't know why anyone would not like it. The only legit reason I can fathom is because they do not like the FPS genre at all. Otherwise it's a damn solid game. Only thing I've seen that could be described as a bug is somehow my game change from single player private to public and all of a sudden I was getting invaded. That was easily fixed though although I did forfeit something.

Awesome start to the new year.

Encountered 3 humans to pick up a drop. Pulled out a gat and took down two, the third was like "fuck this" and ran away lol. I'm having a blast with this game. How are you guys leveling up your combat?

Definitely eating crow about saying this game was mediocre. It really does pick up after the first few hours and the free running is really satisfying. The fact that it gives me those zombiu panic moments is just icing on the cake

Encountered 3 humans to pick up a drop. Pulled out a gat and took down two, the third was like "fuck this" and ran away lol. I'm having a blast with this game. How are you guys leveling up your combat?

Once you are upgraded its such a blast taking down the guys at an air drop. I pull some crazy John Wick shit like slashing the first in the face, weapon throwing my machete to the second guys face, and pulling out a gun for the third.

Vuze

+1 for the spawning. I destroyed one of the "shade roofs" (sorry, I don't even know their correct name in my native language lol), went to the house next door to check it out, moved back and it respawned. Was pretty weird

Also the NPC faces. One woman I saw at the fisher village looked exactly like the doc at the tower. Not sure if it turns out they're twins or something later lol

Corpekata

Banned
There's, definitely like a family of "guy with short trimmed goatee and shaved head" NPCs wandering around. I feel like I see him like every 5 quests or so.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It is pretty telling that some of the reviews for Dying Light mentioned that they didn't play for very long, talk about "issues" that are part of an upgrade system ("zombies can just grapple you," well, not if you upgrade the path that makes that not happen) and straight up lie about certain parts. I like Sterling's reviews, but he talks about how the runner is impossible to run away from....either he's absolute rubbish at the game, or he didn't bother to try to escape. They're exceedingly easy to evade. Same with volatiles at agility level 2.

Most of them also blame Warner Bros. for withholding code, as if that's Techland's fault. It's clear the entitlement from some reviewers (correct use of entitlement, folks, they're entitled to free game code, though it's beneficial to both sides normally) clouded their vision. Coupled that with their need to pump out a review before they had actually played much of the game and we see how reviewers have made a hash of reviewing this game.

It's also very annoying that now anytime you climb something, it's automatically compared to "Ubisoft game design." You climb 2 towers as part of a mission, and you climb one more as part of another. It's not a baked in element of the design and it doesn't even operate like the Big Bad Ubisoft design. You don't unlock more of the map by climbing, you don't collect random knickknacks - everything you collect has a direct application in the game design, save for the rare valuable items that make sense in game, coffee, cigs, etc.

Sevenfold

This game could really use a setting to hide all onscreen hud, for those times you just want to aimlessly wander around killing zombies for awhile. Hud to hudless is night and day in terms of immersion.

Someone made a script on Reddit to hotkey the HUD. I'm not going to link it because I haven't downloaded it so can't vouch for it. Seemed ok from trhe comments though.

Melchiah

I am truly terrified of the night, haven't done a single nighttime mission yet actually. I think I need to level up way more than where I am currently at. Anyone know the formula for the game determining how many survivor points you lose when you die? I've taken some pretty big losses and I'm not sure why?

Such a damn fun game though. I seriously don't know why anyone would not like it. The only legit reason I can fathom is because they do not like the FPS genre at all. Otherwise it's a damn solid game. Only thing I've seen that could be described as a bug is somehow my game change from single player private to public and all of a sudden I was getting invaded. That was easily fixed though although I did forfeit something.

Awesome start to the new year.

That would ruin the experience for me. Glad I didn't buy the game on day one, and I won't be buying it until that gets fixed.

Corpekata

Banned
Someone made a script on Reddit to hotkey the HUD. I'm not going to link it because I haven't downloaded it so can't vouch for it. Seemed ok from trhe comments though.

Can you at least specify what subreddit? I tried Dying Light and searched for hud toggle and got no results.

Grazzt

I'm loving this game !!! Playing co-op with friends is so much fun, especially night hunting.
15 hours and I'm still at 12% .

Sevenfold

^^Posts like that terrify me when I'm on mobile!^^

Can you at least specify what subreddit? I tried Dying Light and searched for hud toggle and got no results.

Found it. It wasn't Reddit, it was the PC screenshot thread:

I just created a HUD toggle script for that game. Let's you turn it on and off.

I'll try working on a few other things too (like free camera, FOV, etc)

Don't know if they've made it available. Got confused with the scipts for CA and FG, sorry.

It is pretty telling that some of the reviews for Dying Light mentioned that they didn't play for very long, talk about "issues" that are part of an upgrade system ("zombies can just grapple you," well, not if you upgrade the path that makes that not happen) and straight up lie about certain parts. I like Sterling's reviews, but he talks about how the runner is impossible to run away from....either he's absolute rubbish at the game, or he didn't bother to try to escape. They're exceedingly easy to evade. Same with volatiles at agility level 2.

Most of them also blame Warner Bros. for withholding code, as if that's Techland's fault. It's clear the entitlement from some reviewers (correct use of entitlement, folks, they're entitled to free game code, though it's beneficial to both sides normally) clouded their vision. Coupled that with their need to pump out a review before they had actually played much of the game and we see how reviewers have made a hash of reviewing this game.

It's also very annoying that now anytime you climb something, it's automatically compared to "Ubisoft game design." You climb 2 towers as part of a mission, and you climb one more as part of another. It's not a baked in element of the design and it doesn't even operate like the Big Bad Ubisoft design. You don't unlock more of the map by climbing, you don't collect random knickknacks - everything you collect has a direct application in the game design, save for the rare valuable items that make sense in game, coffee, cigs, etc.

Well put.

Basically, the critics can eat shit-covered crow for this one. Such unprofessional bullshit.

Nokterian

Agree to me this game has been a longtime since i had fun in a open world game. Parkour feels awesome and the combat feels meaty but also the crafting makes it great. It isnt a ubisoft game like you where saying and the different conditions from day and night are very cool with all those different zombies. I only climbed one tower but that tower isn't like you have to go to the top only put the power on yes i can go up but that's only to see the view.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Progress is coming along slow for me since I am completing every side quest before pushing story quests. Already 24 hours in and roughly 30% done with the game.

I'm enjoying this one a lot more than I thought I would since I hated dead island.

Anyone interested in doing the 5-quest coop trophy, PM me :)

Got 2 quests ready to cash in at The Tower, gonna try and get the other 3 lined up by tomorrow.

Losing Survivor Points for dying in the tower climbs is a bit harsh imo.

Etnos

Banned
A part of me wants to support this game because they released a Linux version, but man... I can't get myself to buy it. From here it looks like the epitome of AAA game design cliches I'm so tired of that stuff.

Spinluck

Yeah. Seems like it would be an easy fix to nerf things like survivor sense. Way too powerful knowing where the zombie is at all times + the UV flashlights.

Maybe make it so when the zombie yells to get the player locations that it shows up on player radar for a bit too (which makes sense given it's an intense howl).

Yeah I did not know how bad it was until I was a human. I embarrassed a couple of zombies.

The hunter can very well win, but you have to work hard as shit for every single kill, a lot harder than the humans that's for sure . There is no way you should be able to UVFlash while using the grapple hook. Like come on lol.

If they have 1-2 hit kill weapons then good luck.

Nah its not, if the human actually understands the game and their exploits its perfectly beatable.

I am not entirely sure what you're saying in relation to what I said.

Sure, this game has its jank and the story is complete dog shit. But fucking hell its a lot of fun.

The tension when you're lockpicking/scavenging for supplies is perfection

BahamutPT

Doesn't entering a Safe House count for the "Prom Night" trophy? (evade lvl 2 pursuit at night)
It shows Pursuit Evaded, but doesn't unlock... so I guess I'll have to evade it while still outside?

A part of me wants to support this game because they released a Linux version, but man... I can't get myself to buy it. From here it looks like the epitome of AAA game design cliches I'm so tired of that stuff.

man if you cant buy based on this topic ..

look I dont know what aaa game design cliches mean, the game is fun. That's all.

Top Bottom