• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

edgefusion

Do you ever get to see the main character outside of looking at someone else's MC in coop? It's weird to me they have all these outfits you never get to see.

DOWN

Banned
Started playing and I really like the feel of scavenging. That's something they've nailed. It feels really atmospheric to wander these houses around the shuffling zombies and come nighttime, see the value of lights and start seeking them out, none more comforting than uv lights at a safe house.

Do you ever get to see the main character outside of looking at someone else's MC in coop? It's weird to me they have all these outfits you never get to see.

Funnily enough, I noticed Crane can see himself even though there's no mirrors in this game. Well aside from
ehAHnvl.jpg

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Is there a PS4 GAF list? Need more friends to play this, most GAFers on my list are either in DriveClub or Destiny.

PSN: Tunesmith-

Do normal zombies scale btw?

When I started, all of them would go down in one hit with the rebar, even if I hit their torso. Earlier, I found a nice little easter egg area with a few waves of them, and most of them took two hits. I hope they don't scale. I wanna get a good weapon, and go to town.

The atmosphere during night time changes drastically. I never get out alone unless there's a friendly player connects online or a quest forces me to do it.

Fucken speedster zombies man

MAX PAYMENT

Wow. Best game I've played in a while. The sun setting is a truly scary experience because I am still not ready to face the night.

Did the couple early forced night missions. It was a shit show. Died multiple times.

Did a 1v1 where I was the human. I don't think I've ever been so tense. I barely one.

Love the game. I'll be playing it alot.

Psn: MAX-PAYMENT

It seems like I'm inching forward in this game. The story progression is slow.

I like how you can jump off the bridge if it gets too crazy.

Can I just ask what the consensus is so far, because I am thinking about getting this.

It seems like everyone who plays it (who doesn't write reviews for a living) loves it, myself included. I can't stop playing.

A part of me wants to support this game because they released a Linux version, but man... I can't get myself to buy it. From here it looks like the epitome of AAA game design cliches I'm so tired of that stuff.

This is true to some extent...but they really nailed the minute-to-minute gameplay of movement, combat, scavenging, atmosphere to such an extent that you don't really care about the cliched aspects.

robot

Any updates on the co-op crashing? Did the latest patch fix the PC version? Still waiting to resume the PS4 version w some friends.

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
Well just completed the game and I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Took me around 30 hours according to Steam stats but it felt way longer haha. For comparison Steam says that I played Dead Island for 57 hours. I played through the whole game solo so can't comment on what the co-op is like but the game didn't even feel like it needed co-op.

Well just completed the game and I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Took me around 30 hours according to Steam stats but it felt way longer haha. For comparison Steam says that I played Dead Island for 57 hours. I played through the whole game solo so can't comment on what the co-op is like but the game didn't even feel like it needed co-op.

How would you say it compared to Dead Island? I really enjoyed Dead Island but hearing they changed the combat, my favorite part of DI, worries me about getting Dying Light.

charsace

How would you say it compared to Dead Island? I really enjoyed Dead Island but hearing they changed the combat, my favorite part of DI, worries me about getting Dying Light.

Better game than Dead Island. Much better game. I think the melee is just as fun though it is different in that it puts more emphasis on movement.

Vuze

So, what have you guys found is the best way to fight the big zombies that swing an axe/hammer? I know how to take them out without taking damage but attacking, then evading back & rinse n repeat is so boring and takes ages lol. Molotovs and shuriken ain't doing it either... hm.

Not too far in the game (basically just got the 5 meds from Rais, level 6 or 7 on the skill trees) so keep that in mind.

B4D1E

So, what have you guys found is the best way to fight the big zombies that swing an axe/hammer? I know how to take them out without taking damage but attacking, then evading back & rinse n repeat is so boring and takes ages lol. Molotovs and shuriken ain't doing it either... hm.

Not too far in the game (basically just got the 5 meds from Rais, level 6 or 7 on the skill trees) so keep that in mind.

For the regular Goons (orange suit), you just have to headshot them with a rebar ( if you unlocked the ability to throw your weapon). But for the fireman ones, no such luck, you have to fight them "à la loyale".

Chin35char

Absolutely loving this game so far. To me it's just a much better version of Dead Island, the parkour stuff is awesome. Playing in game at night time is a lot of fun and pretty intense compared to the day.

Electric weapon with conductive Liquid is good same with fire and Flammable unless they have the firemans suit on.

Syder

I just experienced 'the first night' and
I'll admit the volatiles chasing me was on the level of stress that things like Outlast give me.

4/5 of your biggest trophies glitched. The incompetency. I can't even right now.

Seems like no-one has the "complete all sidequests" achievement/trophy yet if I'm looking correctly.

Looks like that one is bugged for now. People on achievement fora aren't sure what the requirements are to unlock it, they've pretty much done everything in the game already.

Vuze

For the regular Goons (orange suit), you just have to headshot them with a rebar ( if you unlocked the ability to throw your weapon). But for the fireman ones, no such luck, you have to fight them "à la loyale".
Electric weapon with conductive Liquid is good same with fire and Flammable unless they have the firemans suit on.
Thanks! I'm probably being too stingy, I only fight with regular weapons for the time being but I guess it doesn't make any sense to hoard my materials haha

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Seems like no-one has the "complete all sidequests" achievement/trophy yet if I'm looking correctly.

Looks like that one is bugged for now. People on achievement fora aren't sure what the requirements are to unlock it, they've pretty much done everything in the game already.

Maybe there are missable quests if you progress the story before completing them.

From the PS4 stats, at least 1 person has gotten each trophy but no one has the platinum. So you can get any of the bugged ones but it seems guaranteed that at least 1 will bug out.

derExperte

Ya. It bothered me at first, but I've grown to appreciate the inexplicable Tourette syndrome.

Now he's screaming 'YES!'. The apocalypse (and drugs, and strange potions with shrooms) hasn't been kind to his brain.

It seems like I'm inching forward in this game. The story progression is slow.

I like how you can jump off the bridge if it gets too crazy.

As suspected the percentage goes up way faster beyond ~50%. But I like the pacing, they clearly learned from DI how not to do it.

explosive throwing stars, 3-4 will take it out, that or molotov it a few times before going in to save time

fyi explosive throwing stars will 1 shot the spitters too, tho they do make noise i think so you might get some virals. I found throwing stars are kinda useless vs humans tho, Rais' guys just bat them away tho if youre able to land one its instakill. I usually just lob molotovs and take swings at them when they're on fire ;)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
27 hours in and on the home stretch it feels like, my next story mission is
The Museum (and my only sidequest left atm is also in the museum to get the reward from the previous sidequest)

really liking / liked the game, but just like Dead Island (which I also really liked), it stretches for longer than it should. But then again thats on me for doing all the sidequests I guess (and I havent even touched the challenges, nor will I tbh). Im about ready to finish the game if you know what I mean.

This game is pretty awesome after playing for a few hours. The parkour aspect is great, but it feels pretty limited starting out, I would say by endgame it will feel amazing though. It seems like sprint should be unlimited, as much as that would detract from the realism. I'm glad guns and bullets are kinda spread out, you probably won't find them unless you do a ton of exploring or get to certain quests. They are rightfully super powerful when compared to everything else. There is some random jank in the game though, I tried standing when crouching under a crouching uh, space, and it stuck me under the world. I was able to get out by climbing up a wall. lol. Also is it just me or is it really weird that the school area drops frames like fucking crazy? It's an interior, usually where the framerate gets better in games. The outside world seems like it's locked 30 on PS4, but when I did that school quest, the game took a shit on itself. Otherwise game has been great, story is pretty good.

It must be really hard to write a consistent story in open world games. I think this started with so much promise, then it just turns video gamey real quick. But they forced themselves into that. IMO there was no reason to introduce
Rais and send you on a bunch of quests you don't want to do. Then they made the GBE the typical "government agencies are bad" stereotype.
Heres how you easily improve the story. The premise and tower can be the same, you can even look for the same mcguffin.

Everybody shouldn't be able to get close to the leader, especially a new person. So you have to do errands to build trust. Once you meet the leader and find out he doesn't have the file, you branch out to look for who does. Rinse, repeat just make the other settlements and characters unique and I'm interested in where this is going. The best story telling in games, to me, is fueling the fire or giving you some context for why and what you are about to do.

i think writers sometimes try to put too much story in games, when simpler is better IMO. Look at TLOU, one my favorite games, the story isn't complex. Get the girl to the fireflies. Now what happens on that journey makes the story, but why aren't there more TLOU's? Because of writers like those on Assassin's Creed, over complex for the shake of complexity thinking that makes a better story. Look how many writers those games have. Why does a story need more than 2 writers. It's a reason I think all Rockstar's stories fall apart. Having to have all those missions and a reason for all of them, not to mention tie those threads together has to be infuriating.

Chabbles

This game is pretty awesome after playing for a few hours. The parkour aspect is great, but it feels pretty limited starting out, I would say by endgame it will feel amazing though. It seems like sprint should be unlimited, as much as that would detract from the realism. I'm glad guns and bullets are kinda spread out, you probably won't find them unless you do a ton of exploring or get to certain quests. They are rightfully super powerful when compared to everything else. There is some random jank in the game though, I tried standing when crouching under a crouching uh, space, and it stuck me under the world. I was able to get out by climbing up a wall. lol. Also is it just me or is it really weird that the school area drops frames like fucking crazy? It's an interior, usually where the framerate gets better in games. The outside world seems like it's locked 30 on PS4, but when I did that school quest, the game took a shit on itself. Otherwise game has been great, story is pretty good.

Yep i noticed the framerate drop in the school and thought it was weird since it was indoor, thought it might of been because i was playing for 6, 7 hours straight.
And something similar happened to me too, one of those exploding fuckers went off and sent me through the roof.

1212.jpg

Get up high and use throwing stars/axes/tomahawks. Works on the big bezerkers too.

Also, make some resistance potions if you want to go toe to toe with those crazy ass night creatures. Helps a ton.

I've one hit killed the big firemen dudes using the throwing weapon skill. Although I was using the Korek Machete, but it seems like the skill does triple or quadruple damage.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Absolutely loving this so far and I honestly think is some of the finest movement/traversal I've ever seen in an FPS, better than Mirrors Edge as well and slicker than Far Cry 3/4. It's just an absolute joy to move around the world and I just find it really fun to play. Combat's great and the upgrades are well done and you can feel your character getting better with movement, combat etc. It's pretty slick IMO and I love the very slight Mortal Kombat xray cam you get now and again. Very crunchy and impactful. They've definitely made more of an attempt with the side story stuff as well. I mean it is still 'collect this for me' and 'go here' and it won't win any storytelling awards but it's enough to keep it interesting and fun and not be a total bore. I like some of the short traversal puzzles you get as well, just cases where you say have to get to the roof of somewhere and you need to work out how to do it. It feels like a real labour of love for Techland this.

.hacked

Man I just had the most epic zombie experience yet, playing coop op with my bro we did the voltage side quest. Started it in the day time, clear 1st 2 boxes easy and ran to the big station. Dozen of transformers in a grid pattern with 100s of zombies between us and the last switch. We hopped across the tops of the transformers over the hordes to get to the fenced in shack were the final switch was. Would not let us activate it until night time. We started to notice zombies glitching through the fence, after killing a few dozen of them we devised a plan to clear the area before night fall. One of us would lure the zombies into a pack with fire crackers while the other set them ablaze with a molotov. It was so much fun, after the carnage we take turns gather our loot. Leveled up 3 or 4 times during the slaughter, best zombie game ever!

Trouble

Banned
I just totally cheesed getting bolter flesh. Went to the safehouse right next to the feeding ground at the top right. Waited for night. Ran out, smacked the bolter a few times and killed it. Got swarmed, ran back to safe house. Waited a few minutes, ran back out and looted it. Got swarmed, ran back to safe house.

I suck at going out at night and have avoided it like the plague (except the
bridge
mission, which can be done safely).

Its safe to say I have anus muscles. Who's idea was it to put volatiles in ;_;?

I almost cried twice from pure terror. Someone better come up with a "living light" mod cause this night business ain't for me.

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member

It's been a while since I played Dead Island but I remember the combat being very similar if not identical well other than the gun combat which is vastly improved. I did notice that the weapons in Dying Light all felt very similar and the variety just wasn't there but like I said I haven't played Dead Island is a very long time. If you liked DI you should like DL I'd say.

Top Bottom