• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I definitely don't agree at all about the first 10 levels being mediocre or so, the sense of movement and flow is brilliant and a lot of fun even from the start.

But now that I have
the grappling hook
....OOOOOOOOOOH YEAAAAAAAAAH!

Anyone with the PS4/Xbox versions, can you comment on the FOV. Is it distractingly low? I want to play this on my PC but the two things my PC happens to feature are the worst optimized, AMD processor and crossfire graphic cards.

I'm really used to playing most first person games on my PC with FOV at 90 degrees, but I picked ths up on PS4 on a whim. I don't find it distracting at all when I play. Probably is lower than 90 like most console first person games, but I've never been irritated by it in 20 or so hours.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I started having fun as soon as I was "let off the leash."

It's alright. I had more fun with Dead Island despite its flaws.

This just isn't as interesting as it could've been, and no fast travel is a pain in the ass.
Well, they were asking for consensus... I don't think this really matches it :p
I saw a volatile look like a normal zombie. Rotting, and missing one arm, but was fast moving with a vision cone.
Yeah, this is a volatlie. Most are naked :p
http://zippy.gfycat.com/WhichLiquidHadrosaurus.webm

I've never heard one talk though.
Yeah I did not know how bad it was until I was a human. I embarrassed a couple of zombies.

The hunter can very well win, but you have to work hard as shit for every single kill, a lot harder than the humans that's for sure .
I'm confused, though, can the human just win by killing the zombie? I feel like eventually just doing that should result in a loss; it's not the objective.
It seems like sprint should be unlimited, as much as that would detract from the realism.
The final Agility upgrade does give you unlimited sprint :>

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I disliked Dead Island and most zombie games in general. This game is amazing. ~7 hours in so far and I can't wait to play more.

I found an assault rifle and ten bullets and I have no idea when I'll be able to use it, hah. I value each of those bullets so much I don't want to waste them on anything that I don't need to.

Similarly, running into a store and having to look out the window every few seconds as I rummage through things is just so...I dunno, there's an intensity here that I've never quite experienced in a game. Even checking the time and dreading the sunset as I haul ass to the tower is such a memorable experience. Best zombie game since Dead Rising 1, easily. I love it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
feels so cool to see so many people talking about how they can't stand the night/have trouble/get scared by it :) As soon as I experienced my first one I knew it was when I wanted to operate. I'll even sleep to make it night before going out to mess around.

It's a shame the tower is so "fixed" and there's no real story/atmospheric "choices." Everybody knows who I am, but I'd love it if I eventually became referred to as" that wackjob who only goes out at night."

DirtyLarry

I feel like I suck at the game big time, still have not successfully done anything at night, but I am still pretty early on. 22% in the story itself, Level 6 Survivor iirc (I die alot), 8 Agility (I climb and run more than anything else) and Level 7 Power. And none of my Weapons except the rebar is over even 100.

But I am still loving the shit out of this game, and actually want to get better.

So yeah, not sure if this is everyone elses experience in the game and it is just a fact you are underpowered and as a result it presents a challenge, but I do not mind it at all.

So question about the running challenge. The very first one says
use your grappling hook, and I do not even have one.
Do I not even bother doing it until I do have?

Rnr1224

I'm really liking this game so far. Just got to
Sector 0
and I am liking the mechanics a ton so far. Game really makes you feel helpless in the beginning with the weak weapons and sparse medkits. The guns are pretty fun to use indoors but that's about it. Can't use them outside or the vitals will hunt you down. Only thing I wish for is that you could force zombies and the human enemies to fight. Would be cool to send a horde of zombies over to attack a group of bandits that are taking a supply drop and then pick off the ones that are left.

Also love the day and night mechanic. Makes the game feel really intense and rewarding at the same time after a long chase. Missions that force you to play at night make it feel so much more tense and scary if you get seen by one of the nightmare monsters. After all this way and I'm only about 40% through.

Only thing I wish for is that you could force zombies and the human enemies to fight. Would be cool to send a horde of zombies over to attack a group of bandits that are taking a supply drop and then pick off the ones that are left.

I was able to kite an early game bad guy into a large group of zombies. The problem was he put up a heroic fight - took down 8-10 easy before I intervened. I knocked him over and a couple of nearby 'biters' jumped him.

I felt a little bad, even though minutes before he was throwing knives at me.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Fucking hell. Game glitched (slight spoiler)
after retrieving my equipment
and I ended up losing all my weapons in my inventory including all my guns.

I had that happen too. I think it's because I had too much in my stash in the first place. Luckily there is a quest right after that has you fighting rifle dudes and you should be able to buy a pistol from the vendor. Luckily weapons are the easiest to replace.

Zombies sometimes wander into human vs human fights and one of the humans start fighting the zombie. Two zombies? One human goes to each. Etc. I take this opportunity to stab the human in the back.

DirtyLarry

It gives you one for the challenge.
Interesting. That one
gap between the roofs between the first two checkpoints is killing my momentum everytime.
is it just a matter of approaching I it with confidence.

I'll probably good off a attempting it regardless but may try a few more times if anyone has a tip for the above.

MrBali

Neo Member
Been playing this game for couple days now and I'm around level 7-8 on all skill trees. I'm convinced, this is the best zombie game I ever played. It's game I've been dreaming of playing when I first saw I am Legend.

As I stand on top of my safe house, I hear my alarm going. It's time. I watch the sun set, beautiful orange turning into darkness. What a darkness that is. I turn my light on to see the road ahead of me, infested with zombies, piling up just under my feet. Then comes the distant terrifying screams. They are coming.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
10639603_10153560195544027_1746063855110549040_n.jpg

Spot on

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
would her position be that a game cannot involve any storyline that involves a female character being kidnapped? is that a damsel in distress automatically?

Any tips on the Volatiles? I just reached my first night and I'm afraid to jump off the roof due to them roaming around :(

Also, I hope I'm not derailing the thread, but I never played Dead Island, but I'm liking this game. Is Dead Island 2 similar to this in terms of parkor?

would her position be that a game cannot involve any storyline that involves a female character being kidnapped? is that a damsel in distress automatically?

I would assume so, after that poor, poor attempt at demonizing Dying Light.

Like, Jade is the last thing from a Damsel in Distress. Saves the MC 5 minutes in, usually takes charge in things(
IE leading you to the school
), takes no shit kinda character.

Hell if we're talking about main characters being a DiD, Rahim fits it to a T.

I agree. She's done some great work, but it's disappointing when she does under-researched stuff like this because it really hurts the cause.
*SLIGHT SPOILERS UNMARKED*
After reading a bit more, apparently she finds the plot device to make Jade into a damsel in distress. Basically no women can be kidnapped ever again or it's sexist.

https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/562109974222880768

Because in the same game where
A male doctor gets kidnapped, a teenage boy who you literally have to save but he dies anyway, and literally coming in to take over for Brecken because he failed
, the straw that broke the sexist back was
Jade getting kidnapped.

Damn right it's dempowering. It's dempowering when Zere gets kidnapped, when GRE is pushed aside for the Ministry of Defense, when Brecken feels like a failure for not being able to take care of his tower, but really? What pushes it over the edge is Jade being kidnapped?

Like holy shit.

red731

Any tips on the Volatiles? I just reached my first night and I'm afraid to jump off the roof due to them roaming around :(

Well, you see that minimap there? You see Volatile's cone of vision?
Play the night looking near the minimap and center of the screen and just traverse environment.

That is what I do - but, sometimes shit can get butclenching pretty fast and then there are the skills and night uv light traps.

Check the comat skill tree and check the skills you can acquire - like using items while you look back. There are mini videos of what the skills does, if that skill isn't passive that it.

Good night ;)

bbd23

game is just so fun to pick up and play and run around and smash some zombie heads. I doubt i get anywhere in the story and im okay with this :p.

Why can't I sleep though? like it has never allowed me to

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
*SLIGHT SPOILERS UNMARKED*
After reading a bit more, apparently she finds the plot device to make Jade into a damsel in distress. Basically no women can be kidnapped ever again or it's sexist.

https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/562109974222880768

Because in the same game where
A male doctor gets kidnapped, a teenage boy who you literally have to save but he dies anyway, and literally coming in to take over for Brecken because he failed
, the straw that broke the sexist back was
Jade getting kidnapped.

Damn right it's dempowering. It's dempowering when Zere gets kidnapped, when GRE is pushed aside for the Ministry of Defense, when Brecken feels like a failure for not being able to take care of his tower, but really? What pushes it over the edge is Jade being kidnapped?

Like holy shit.

I have a hard time believing she played the game. It sounds like somebody tipped her off to the event and she just ran with it. This game is not a good example of damsel in distress at all. I feel Jade is one of the strongest characters from what I've played so far.

game is just so fun to pick up and play and run around and smash some zombie heads. I doubt i get anywhere in the story and im okay with this :p.

Why can't I sleep though? like it has never allowed me to

You have to get farther into the story before you can sleep and experience the day/night cycle unscripted.

How is the co-op experience for this game? Does it actually add anything to it? Anything particular hangups specific to PC? Is there a steam group I can join so I can play with some people from GAF (I've found that most people on GAF are cool and it certainly beats playing with randoms)?

Depending on the answers they might just convince me to buy the game now rather than wait on a pricedrop/discount. The only reason I haven't done so yet is because all the positive reactions to the game seem almost too good to be true considering Dead Island.

How's the Be The Zombie mode?

I was playing as the tutorial creature and holy shit, it's like Techland made the best Venom game ever. I love the controls, super arcadey just traversing but I can't access MP for some reason.

Yeah, about the damsels in distress, as someone who writes for a living, I reserve the right to put men AND women in harm for dramatic effect. What I don't appreciate is badly written female characters. Jade seems fine, well designed for a zombie game too.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Yeah, about the damsels in distress, as someone who writes for a living, I reserve the right to put men AND women in harm for dramatic effect. What I don't appreciate is badly written female characters. Jade seems fine, well designed for a zombie game too.

she is a strong character reminds me alot of alyx, strong character, can handle herself. A companion not a liability

pahamrick

Poor hunters are so gimped in Be the Zombie it's not even funny. Got invaded for the first time and I was solo, so it was 1v1. I had been goofing around, exploring the second part of Unity bridge when I got the notice. I only had my purple guns and a Korek machete that I had fully modded out (600+ dmg, almost 300 handling).

2 hits and the hunter was dead, and being able to interrupt the pounce AFTER it's initiated is kinda silly.

He got me 5 times, I got him 10 times and killed all the nests. Sorry whoever invaded me, you picked me when I had a silly loadout.

she is a strong character reminds me alot of alyx, strong character, can handle herself. A companion not a liability

I was actually going to use Alyx as comparison but wasn't sure if that was going to bring a poop storm on me as I haven't finished game and don't know if they don't stick to landing, but definitely so far.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know how many story missions there are in the game? Thanks.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Real story: I never remember to use the grappling hook. And the second map is a lot more vertical than the first. FML

Anyone got tips on getting rid of boomers without em exploding and attracting runner zombies. In Old Town, they are especially annoying.

Oh and I've been using sword type weapons more recently and they are much more fun to see and use. If you time it right, you can split enemies into two vertically.

Anyone got tips on getting rid of boomers without em exploding and attracting runner zombies. In Old Town, they are especially annoying.

Oh and I've been using sword type weapons more recently and they are much more fun to see and use. If you time it right, you can split enemies into two vertically.

you can't? get the camouflage skill. breaks the game so much~

I keep reading you guys talking about this "second map" and "old town". So there is another playable area like the slum? And it's as huge and has as many things to do in it as the slum? Please tell me yes. I'm 15% into the story
(on the "sibling" quest, haven't started it yet)
, when will I have access to this second map?

Top Bottom