• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

jediyoshi

I keep reading you guys talking about this "second map" and "old town". So there is another playable area like the slum? And it's as huge and have as many things to do in it as the slum? Please tell me yes. I'm 15% into the story
(on the "sibling" quest, haven't started it yet)
, when will I have access to this second map?

Yes. Yes. Eventually.

10639603_10153560195544027_1746063855110549040_n.jpg

Spot on

This is my problem with her. It's clear she is very partial, she only looks at female characters and arrives at biased views because she doesn't even bother to contemplate male characters in the same video games (which is a great way to look at sexism and gender inequality in a medium, only looking at 50% of the issue... not).
Apart that from some comments here and there gives me the feeling she doesn't play that much.

pa22word

So I guess no one actually knows how the weapon system works...posting this again because I still haven't gotten an answer nor know wtf is going on with the system 32 hours into the game.

Anyone know what, if anything, all the adjectives in front of the weapons actually translate to in terms of usage?

I mean the game's internal economy is so broken it doesn't really matter anyway, but it would have been nice to know wtf was going on with all of it.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So I guess no one actually knows how the weapon system works...posting this again because I still haven't gotten an answer nor know wtf is going on with the system 32 hours into the game.

Perhaps you should clarify what you're asking. What about the weapon system are you trying to figure out?

I mean the game's internal economy is so broken it doesn't really matter anyway, but it would have been nice to know wtf was going on with all of it.
orange is five repairs, higher damage is higher damage. haven't cared to check the prefixes because of that.

WITHE1982

OK guys 'n' gals. I played this for the first time last night and I'm digging it so far.

I've only completed the
first mission to turn on the various traps
and have unlocked the first 3 upgrades. I was just wondering if there was a way to get XP fast and also, in a High Fidelity kinda way, can you name your "top 5 all time upgrades I should be looking to get"?

Mohonky

Just started playing this tonight on PC, really enjoying it so far, only got up to the point where you spend your first night in the safe house after setting the traps.

I really enjoyed Dead Island, but found Riptide to be a real drag and never finished it. This game feels like they really took from Dead Island and expanded on it in a meaningful way. The parkour system works very well, you do feel like you can climb nearly anything with a ledge near it and traversing the rooftops is a breeze. It certainly gives you another element of approach when it comes to missions, whether you want to confront zombies more often or simply high tail it out of there.

Its visually good, but there does seem to be an awful lot of aliasing.

My only complaint so far is that weapons are only good for a few zombie takedowns before they are trash making going the more combat route far less appealing and to be honest, sometimes I just want to go down and smash some zombie brains. But I am only at the very beginning, only got one weapon mod so far so I am hoping over time I uncover more weapons with higher durability or at least can set skills for increased durability so i can mix up the parkour with some more zombie bashing. I remember having a machete with a battery pack in Dead Island that had high durability and I just loved slashing limbs off left right and center in that game so I am hoping combat gets more like that at some point.

Otherwise from what I have played, these seems like the Dead Island sequel I really wanted.

pa22word

Perhaps you should clarify what you're asking. What about the weapon system are you trying to figure out?

I thought I was pretty clear, honestly.

Weapons usually have 2-3 adjectives in front of their main weapon type name (Katana, Pickaxe, Hammer, etc) and I have absoluetly no idea what they translate to.

What the fuck is the difference between a Heavy Brickmason's Sledgehammer, a Fancy Workman's Sledgehammer, or a just plain Sledgehammer? I know the colours designate rareness and repairs, but there seems to be absolutely nothing in the game to let you know what all that garbage in the name actually means.

WanderingWind

I thought I was pretty clear, honestly.

Weapons usually have 2-3 adjectives in front of their main weapon type name (Katana, Pickaxe, Hammer, etc) and I have absoluetly no idea what they translate to.

What the fuck is the difference between a Heavy Brickmason's Sledgehammer, a Fancy Workman's Sledgehammer, or a just plain Sledgehammer? I know the colours designate rareness and repairs, but there seems to be absolutely nothing in the game to let you know what all that garbage in the name actually means.

Well, you weren't. You didn't mention anything about colors or adjectives in the post I quoted. Forgive us for not going through your post history to get an idea of what you're asking about.

And everything in the game is explained with the numbered attributes attached to each weapon. So, the adjectives seem to be semi-randomized, with weapons with an adjective or a color having more repair slots or more DPS. They seem to be mostly for flavor though. Just compare the attributes of weapons and you'll be fine.

Also, otherwise identical weapons will have different stats, so you need to compare the numbers before selling them off. I believe DPS is also affected by your power rating, because I remember a bat I was holding went up after gaining a point. I might have switched to a similar bat though.

pa22word

Well, you weren't. You didn't mention anything about colors or adjectives in the post I quoted. .

2d46a65119d332e957964218b91e99a8.png

Weird, it seems to me the word adjective is right fucking there in my original post that I reposted, right in the middle of the post you quoted in the text that you cut out.

Forgive me for expecting people to read when I post something, I guess.

WanderingWind

Ask for help. Get testy when people don't respond, even though you have the entire internet at your disposal. Act like an asshole to the one guy who responded in detail because he asked for clarification.

Gosh, I wonder why people were ignoring you to begin with. If this is how you ask for help with stuff, it's not really a mystery. But keep getting angry about people not jumping to be your personal Googler, I suppose.

Maximo

This is my problem with her. It's clear she is very partial, she only looks at female characters and arrives at biased views because she doesn't even bother to contemplate male characters in the same video games (which is a great way to look at sexism and gender inequality in a medium, only looking at 50% of the issue... not).
Apart that from some comments here and there gives me the feeling she doesn't play that much.
Isn't Jade also a MMA Fighter? I definitely don't agree with everything she says. I hope more feminists stand and up give more variety of opinions and are put in the spotlight, since while I think Anita has done one hell of a job leading the charge (And she has sadly suffered due to it) I do think she can sometimes skew her opinions alittle.

pa22word

Ask for help. Get testy when people don't respond, even though you have the entire internet at your disposal. Act like an asshole to the one guy who responded in detail because he asked for clarification.

Gosh, I wonder why people were ignoring you to begin with. If this is how you ask for help with stuff, it's not really a mystery. But keep getting angry about people not jumping to be your personal Googler, I suppose.
Sure, if you want to think of yourself as a personal googler for me go right on ahead, but the point of an ot is for discussion of a game, and that includes questions about the game's mechanics.

The point is I posted the same thing three times with that same description, so thus chiding me for never using it is indeed quite aggravating. If you want to think of me as an asshole for pointing that out, fine. I still haven't gotten a concrete answer about it either way and I'm starting to think no one really knows or even cares really due to how meaningless it all is in the context of the game's broken economy anyways. Which is fine, really, but I didn't know that when I asked the question 10 or so hours of game time prior to making that post.

WanderingWind

So, the main characters of the game are basically... (Spoilers all, don't highlight if you haven't finished the game).
Crane - Is kidnapped, stabbed, brutalized
Breken - Fails at his main mission
Rahim - Killed after failing
Jade - Saves main character, does a bunch on independent shit on her own, gets kidnapped, save main character some more
Dr. Zere - Is kidnapped and killed
Camden

Anita is way off base on this one. Jade is probably the most competent of the characters. She isn't frail like the doctor, dumb or arrogant like the other characters and she fares pretty well compared to everybody else in the game.

Sure, if you want to think of yourself as a personal googler for me go right on ahead, but the point of an ot is for discussion of a game, and that includes questions about the game's mechanics.

The point is I posted the same thing three times with that same description, so thus chiding me for never using it is indeed quite aggravating.

Nobody owes you an answer just because you're aggravated or feel like you're being ignored. Shit gets missed, especially in popular threads with multiquotes. Taking it personally to the level that you did is not going to get answers to your questions. Acting like an asshole just because you're not be responded to in a timely fashion is not an okay thing to do.

The second area is a huge aesthetic improvement. The interiors are much more interesting and believable... verticality everywhere.

After cowering from virals and hiding under the blankets at night, somewhere around level 10 I turned a corner and suddenly I'm a cross between Spider-man and Highlander, vaulting between moonlit rooftops and decapitating zombies and bandits alike. Feels good! The only thing that gives me pause are multiple volatiles on alert.

I really detest the bombers though - there is zero feedback when one is near and/or coming from you so they just get lost in the sensory clutter until they instakill you. Such poor design. There are a few setpieces in the campaign that also immediately kill you unless you're savescumming or clairvoyant (like the
ambush in the sewers
)... could really do with less of that.

But this game is such a delight to play. The feeling of flow, progress and accomplishment is spot-on.

pa22word

Nobody owes you an answer just because you're aggravated or feel like you're being ignored. Shit gets missed, especially in popular threads with multiquotes. Taking it personally to the level that you did is not going to get answers to your questions. Acting like an asshole just because you're not be responded to in a timely fashion is not an okay thing to do.

Didn't say anyone owed me an answer. I simply reposted every few pages until I got an answer.

I told you off because you were acting all passive aggressive because my post was "too vague" for you because it didn't contain the exact wording you wanted, when hilariously enough, in fact it did indeed contain that exact wording you wanted. As in specifically the exact word you said I should have used to describe the situation was used as the primary descriptor in all three posts.

It had nothing to do with when I got the answer, because, as I said, by the time I finally was responded to it didn't matter in the long run because I discovered that the game's broken economy makes any real investment into the systems pointless due to how all the systems work.

NickMitch

I feel like I suck at the game big time, still have not successfully done anything at night, but I am still pretty early on. 22% in the story itself, Level 6 Survivor iirc (I die alot), 8 Agility (I climb and run more than anything else) and Level 7 Power. And none of my Weapons except the rebar is over even 100.

But I am still loving the shit out of this game, and actually want to get better.

So yeah, not sure if this is everyone elses experience in the game and it is just a fact you are underpowered and as a result it presents a challenge, but I do not mind it at all.

So question about the running challenge. The very first one says
use your grappling hook, and I do not even have one.
Do I not even bother doing it until I do have?

You dont need the "spoiler item" to take on the challenge, you can use it during the challenge with LT.
Btw, thats not the first one by default...For me it was the third one.

Vintage

So, turns out there is one closet with a zombie inside. All other closets in this game only have items, so you think you're safe opening them... nope. I panicked so hard I almost screamed :D

WanderingWind

Didn't say anyone owed me an answer. I simply reposted every few pages until I got an answer.

I told you off because you were acting all passive aggressive because my post was too vague because it didn't contain the exact wording you wanted, when hilariously enough, in fact it did indeed contain that exact wording you wanted. As in specifically the exact word you said I should have used to describe the situation was used as the primary descriptor in all three posts.

It had nothing to do with when I got the answer, because, as I said, by the time I finally was responded to it didn't matter in the long run because I discovered that the game's broken economy makes any real investment into the systems pointless due to how all the systems work.

Nah, you're just one of those who doesn't know how to talk to people. Asking for clarification in order to answer your question is not "passive aggressive." In any event, good luck acting like an asshole to people trying to help you out. I'm sure this will be very productive in the future.

So, turns out there is one closet with a zombie inside. All other closets in this game only have items, so you think you're safe opening them... nope. I panicked so hard I almost screamed :D

I haven't run into this one yet, but the one that
jumps out of the toilet stall
made me pump like 8 rounds into him. Eight precious, precious rounds.

pa22word

But yeah, getting off that dumb, pointless argument over nothing, it's really a shame how busted the economy is.

Dead Island had the same problem, and the game ends up with a difficulty curve that is totally wack because of it. I keep wondering when someone is going to put out one of these "looty shooty" diablo clone games where the economy doesn't flatline and become meaningless about halfway through the game. I mean here, unlike some games like this, there's really no exploitation needed. Like I'm still trying to work out how they expected it to function in reality other than to give some sort of a treadmill, however artificial it might be, for you to run on while you play the game.

I'm not even on the second map yet and I already have maxed out the number of loot items I can carry for some stuff, and I haven't had a weapon actually exhaust on me in over 10 hours of play. Really once I got about two or three blue-level blueprints behind me the diablo stuff just totally flatlined in any meaningful way. For instance I remember being so pumped when I bought my first orange level sword, which was a short sword thing with 313 damage that I boosted out with all sorts of shit to crank it up. Now, like 5 hours gametime later I'm regularly picking up green-class weapons that outclass it from raiders and I still have like 3 repairs left on the thing =\

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
My only complaint so far is that weapons are only good for a few zombie takedowns before they are trash making going the more combat route far less appealing and to be honest, sometimes I just want to go down and smash some zombie brains. But I am only at the very beginning, only got one weapon mod so far so I am hoping over time I uncover more weapons with higher durability or at least can set skills for increased durability so i can mix up the parkour with some more zombie bashing. I remember having a machete with a battery pack in Dead Island that had high durability and I just loved slashing limbs off left right and center in that game so I am hoping combat gets more like that at some point.

It does. Word to the wise, try to get the survivor skill that gives you a chance free repair. I have to toss out weapons because they last so long.

SomTervo

Yeah exactly – I'm actually a fan of her work in that she uses a big platform to highlight a broad issue, making more people aware of it and more people talk about it.

But she really knows very little about games, and writes her pieces usually without having played them (clear by conjecture in most cases).

Any discussion of her work has to take this into account from the outset. Imo - she's making a good movement using facetious arguments. Which is okay as long as it doesn't gain enough traction to turn people against gaming. Which I doubt it will.

OT Dying Light has some excellent female writing, actually. The dynamic between Jade and Crane is really good as it gets more tense.

Also, I hate to say it but... Dying Light has become one of my top 5 games of all time. The other games on that list are ones like MGS3, Silent Hill 2 and The Last of Us. While Dying Light cannot anywhere near match those in terms of storytelling and pacing, by christ, it beats most of them in terms of sheer liquid fun.

Yesterday I wanted to get to a Drop, but there were 3 Rais goons around it, weilding machetes. Rather than jump down and engage them – which I knew might use up my last two medkits – I decided to use zombies to my advantage. I threw a firecracker into their midst, which made them babble in confusion. A shatter of window-panes later, and on poured the Virals, who started beating on the goons. While the goons were looking the other way swinging their blades, I dropped down silently, ran up behind them, and snapped their necks one by one. Left were 2 Virals, who I decapitated in an instant. The drop was mine and I was back on the rooftops a minute later.

Earlier yesterday, I eyed up a Drop in the middle of a square surrounded by zombies, which I hadn't been able to reach for days in game-time. I suddenly remembered I had the zombie camouflage skill, with kill-chain upgrade... So I isolate a zombie by luring him into an alley, kill him, camouflage using his flesh, and strut out into a crowd of hundreds of zombies... occasionally snapping a neck and reapplying my zombie make-up. I get to the drop, pick the lock while surrounded by fifteen zombies staring at me, grab the goods, and walk slowly out of the crowd, before breaking into a sprint and grappling up to a rooftop.

I have never experienced a game which so perfectly engineers sandbox gameplay and player engagement in its open world. It feels like an endless toolbox of improvisation and fun. It almost never tells you exactly what to do, the player has utmost freedom. There are moments when it feels like what an open-world Half-Life could be. Christ, I love it. Edit: and yet at the drop of a hat it can become a full-blown survival horror experience. I think it's a masterpiece, tbh. Certainly the best zombie game I've ever played. I do not understand the 7/10 reviews. Minor/irrelevant balancing issues and occasional poor level design decisions do not a great game break.

WanderingWind

the higher damage weapon prices are insane (high damage, low durability) and the selling price after finding one is a joke.

Just like real life, running guns is the path to quick wealth. Just now you get to practice it without the pesky FBI interrogations.

Enjoying it so far... scared to go out at night. My weapons are a bit crap and so are my skills, so hopefully I can improve on that as I play through it. Just thought I would open up all the safe houses so far to make it easier at night.

red731

All I am thinking right about is this damn games ffs (in a good way).
Maybe it's the traversal - it certainly is that.

I can't wait to get my agi level to maximum and let the night hunger games begin.

Also release new patch asap - to fix anything, something. Even the smallest thing..

I just made it to the second area, and am enjoying it more. My next quest is to
help Michael
after watching the news clip online.

It says I'm at maybe 54%. How long is the latter half of the game? I'm hoping to beat it in one or two sessions, but it took me about 12-14 hours to get here due to searching and doing side quests.

Also, when do you get the grappling hook?

Enjoying it so far... scared to go out at night. My weapons are a bit crap and so are my skills, so hopefully I can improve on that as I play through it. Just thought I would open up all the safe houses so far to make it easier at night.

Try using the survivor sense button ( default X on ps4)often during the night to help detect the volatile and stay out of their vision cones. Once they detect you it's time to run.

Regarding the gunslinger quest:

There supposed to be a gun on the floor near the police man's body in the shack (according to the YT video) but there's nothing there for me when I check. I remember entering the shack before the quest showed up, but I'm not sure if I took it then because it's not in my inventory

Try using the survivor sense button ( default X on ps4)often during the night to help detect the volatile and stay out of their vision cones. Once they detect you it's time to run.

I did the first night mission and spent most of the time hidden inside a building, making my way slowly to a safe zone... I am a wimp :)

Getting my ass kicked quite a bit in this game, think I need to level up more first before I venture too far out at night. Do the zombies level up with you?

Mista

Banned
Well, I never thought this game can be so much fun while co-oping. I got this badass modified sword that makes me cut throught 30 zombies!

I did the first night mission and spent most of the time hidden inside a building, making my way slowly to a safe zone... I am a wimp :)

Getting my ass kicked quite a bit in this game, think I need to level up more first before I venture too far out at night. Do the zombies level up with you?

I have no idea but I did read in the game guide that they become stronger.
http://www.primagames.com/games/dyi...ricks-unlock-perks-repair-weapons-craft-items
Tip: Infected become stronger over time and learn new behaviors. Even the odds with more powerful weaponry.

Mohonky

It does. Word to the wise, try to get the survivor skill that gives you a chance free repair. I have to toss out weapons because they last so long.

Thats good to hear because right now I find myself entering combat rarely because I am largely being very sparing with my weapons and not throwing any upgrades on them simply because they dont seem to last long enough to justify using it up.

So yeh hoping later in the game you can use weapons for great periods of time.

Dont know why they didnt include a way of sourcing materials for repairs, as the limited repairs, when the weapons break so easily is frustrating me at the moment, i just dont want to spend mods or anything else like that right now because of it.

derExperte

Heh, while opening some I thought 'if I were the dev, I would put a Z in one of them'. Haven't found the one yet unfortunately.

If you have metal parts and your weapon breaks during gameplay, you can repair it instantly with the triangle button. Don't forget you can also break down weapons into metal parts.

If you have metal parts and your weapon breaks during gameplay, you can repair it instantly with the triangle button. Don't forget you can also break down weapons into metal parts.

Yeah I found that most useful - pick up any weapon and break it down, that way you can at least repair when you need to. Nothing worse than being attacked when all of your weapons are broken.

Top Bottom