• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

Kezen

Banned
10639603_10153560195544027_1746063855110549040_n.jpg

Spot on

Sarkeesian is a complete moron, glad TotalBiscuit is calling her out.

Interfectum

started the game over the weekend.... I'm really impressed by how fun the game is. The movement, the fighting, the online, everything. Good stuff.

SomTervo

Didn't know there is a New Game +. Now i have an excuse to beat the game again :D

Is it true NG+, as in more difficult scenarios/enemies, or is it 'western' NG+, as in just the whole game again with your existing gear?

NG+ should always make the game far harder imo.

skybald

This game seems similar to Far Cry 4 which I rented from Redbox last night and don't enjoy so far. How off base am my?

I am looking for in depth side missions, not collectathons. I would like a decent story. Decent graphics and performance. And good combat. Didn't like what I saw on GiantBombs coop quick look.

Mohonky

This game seems similar to Far Cry 4 which I rented from Redbox last night and don't enjoy so far. How off base am my?

I am looking for in depth side missions, not collectathons. I would like a decent story. Decent graphics and performance. And good combat. Didn't like what I saw on GiantBombs coop quick look.

Its an open world game in a city overrun with Zombies. How in depth do you think the side quests could be?

SomTervo

I sunk 17 hours into Far Cry 4 before getting entirely bored with it.

Dying Light, I'm at 30 hours and rising. Haven't even touched the apparently brilliant co-op. Plan on keeping it forever. It's far, far better. As said in an earlier post, it's gunning for my top 5 faves of all time purely on fun factor.

The upgrades are amazing.

The world is amazing.

The story is serviceable - better than many, including Far Cry.

Combat is incredible - but I don't think watching it will do it justice. You have to play it for a few hours and see what the upgrades have to offer and play with the sandbox yourself.

Its an open world game in a city overrun with Zombies. How in depth do you think the side quests could be?

I personally love the side missions. Some really clever level design and 'puzzle' type scenarios where you have to work out how to do things on your own. The game, on the whole, leaves you to work out how to do things yourself. It's great. People complain it's all fetch quests – but seriously, there aren't that many 'objectives' in any game if you boil it down like that. You will go somewhere, find something, or kill something. That's what most objectives are in any action game ever. It's all about delivery – where the missions take you, what the characters are like, what the meaning behind the quest is. And Dying Light nails this repeatedly, has character in spades.

PS this is all coming from someone who hated Dead Island. I thought it was a decent FPS RPG but it had mediocre level design, awful quest design, and awful encounter design

Oneself

For some reasons, I found FC4 to be really boring. In fact, I don't enjoy most open world "collectathons" but DL is different.

skybald

I sunk 17 hours into Far Cry 4 before getting entirely bored with it.

Dying Light, I'm at 30 hours and rising. Haven't even touched the apparently brilliant co-op. Plan on keeping it forever. It's far, far better. As said in an earlier post, it's gunning for my top 5 faves of all time purely on fun factor.

The upgrades are amazing.

The world is amazing.

The story is serviceable - better than many, including Far Cry.

Combat is incredible - but I don't think watching it will do it justice. You have to play it for a few hours and see what the upgrades have to offer and play with the sandbox yourself.

I personally love the side missions. Some really clever level design and 'puzzle' type scenarios where you have to work out how to do things on your own. The game, on the whole, leaves you to work out how to do things yourself. It's great. People complain it's all fetch quests – but seriously, there aren't that many 'objectives' in any game if you boil it down like that. You will go somewhere, find something, or kill something. That's what most objectives are in any action game ever. It's all about delivery – where the missions take you, what the characters are like, what the meaning behind the quest is. And Dying Light nails this repeatedly, has character in spades.

PS this is all coming from someone who hated Dead Island. I thought it was a decent FPS RPG but it had mediocre level design, awful quest design, and awful encounter design

My interest in picqued. Thanks

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
For some reasons, I found FC4 to be really boring. In fact, I don't enjoy most open world "collectathons" but DL is different.

I think it's largely because when you're collecting stuff in DL, there is a purpose. They even lampshade collectathon quests with the alcohol quest. Other than that, when you're collecting tissue samples, it's to move the game forward, and you're not collecting 10 of them. When you're hunting down air drops, it's because of the story - and for story reasons you have to find them quick or fight off scavengers or miss out on them completely when the scavengers take off with them.

In Far Cry, you'd go to the map marker to collect 10 wilderbeast skins because...well, because the game says to, even though it makes no in-game sense to be collecting skins while trying to escape an island. In DL, you'll be going to turn on gas valves to return services to a part of the city. There are some variations that stray from this, just as in Far Cry there are some good story missions, but the vast majority of the quests in DL have a reason behind them.

And that gas one was a doozy. Fucking Jeff.

Kurdel

Banned
While I love what Anita is doing, her response to that quote is saddening. It shows she doesn't care if she is called out as being wrong, its still an attack of the damsel in distress trope which in this it isn't.

https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/562100946717532160

Anita response tweet said:
The villain’s dialog in Dying Light about damseling Jade: "The last time we met you took something of mine, now I took something of yours.”

Didn't see any similar dialog for the male characters, and I cringed at seeing her getting kidnapped.

Anita denounces reusing the trope of the strong woman character still being your property and that is still an effective and lazy way of tricking men into caring about the story.

This most definitely counts.

pa22word

The story is worth it for Chris Redfield hamming it up alone. Some of the shit that comes out of his mouth during sidequests had me dying.

For people who have completed the story - How was it? Was it better than you expected?

I'm waiting for the physical release and whilst it looks like great fun I was hoping for a good story to come out of this one, and leave the silly stuff to Dead Island.

SomTervo

I think it's largely because when you're collecting stuff in DL, there is a purpose

[snip]

And that gas one was a doozy. Fucking Jeff.

Exactly. The quests just fit with the gameworld in a way not many do. The only other game I've seen get it this right was probably Fallout 3/New Vegas. You're really trying to keep people alive and maintain the survivors of Harran.

Also, re the Gas quest, fucking yes. Did anybody else get killed when
Jeff blew the place up, and you expected a little explosion outside, but instead the whole building erupted?

The gas quest is one of the best quests I've ever played – the pipes bursting and the game not telling you where they are was one of those subtle things. In GTA or Far Cry the game would be like "hey listen! go here - and here - and here! tada auto-win", but Dying Light is like "the fucking pipes on the blue line are bursting, work it out" and you're all like "blue line - whaa?!" then you're like "aha, the blue line!" and you get on it all by yourself.

My interest in picqued. Thanks

No problem. I'm seriously going to sell this game to as many people as I can. I think it's an important game, frankly. And I want to play nothing else, despite currently loving Grim Fandango, REmake, and Persona 3.

No problem. I'm seriously going to sell this game to as many people as I can. I think it's an important game, frankly. And I want to play nothing else, despite currently loving Grim Fandango, REmake, and Persona 3.

What? The game is fun, but come on....its very derivative. If someone told me this game was published by Ubisoft I would have believed them.

SomTervo

What? The game is fun, but come on....its very derivative. If someone told me this game was published by Ubisoft I would have believed them.

... And?

Nothing you said has any impact on whether this is a good or bad game.

Derivative? So is everything.

Ubisoft? They're a publisher. Cool? I guess?

It's all about delivery. And while, yes, Dying Light has a lot in common with Mirrors Edge, Far Cry, AssCree, Dead Rising, Fallout and Left 4 Dead, it applies elements from all of these games in a unique way which is more compelling than any of them, imo. It also adds a few of its own nice touches which make a huge difference. I think the level design is one of these key things. The city (both parts) is fucking brilliant.

Dreathlock

This game deserves way better. It is absolutely fantastic. And seeing the reviews on metacritic makes me sick. DL=68, DA:I=89...

... And?

Nothing you said has any impact on whether this is a good or bad game.

Derivative? So is everything.

Ubisoft? They're a publisher. Cool? I guess?

It's all about delivery. And while, yes, Dying Light has a lot in common with Mirrors Edge, Far Cry, AssCree, Dead Rising, Fallout and Left 4 Dead, it applies elements from all of these games in a unique way which is more compelling than any of them, imo. It also adds a few of its own nice touches which make a huge difference. I think the level design is one of these key things. The city (both parts) is fucking brilliant.

Like I said, it's a fun game. I'm just trying to figure out why you think it's important, I feel like you're really overselling this thing.

SomTervo

Like I said, it's a fun game. I'm just trying to figure out why you think it's important, I feel like you're really overselling this thing.

Fair point – it's important to me, personally. This feels like the zombie game I've been dreaming of since I was about 14.

It has moments of being open world Resi 1-2. Shuffling zombies which react immediately to sound and can be overpowering in crowds. Lots of freedom in how you approach, and the second map is a better sandbox than Far Cry, Just Cause or GTA - probably even Shadow of Mordor. It feels like a properly engaging, crazy sandbox which always has unique approaches, even if similar things happen a lot. The player has more tools and more abilities than Far Cry and Shadow of Mordor combined. It's amazing.

Plus the crazy innovative bonus – the friction of day/night gameplay, when it goes from tension-horror and crowd management to full-blown survival horror. Amazing. Like two games in one. Probably five games in one. I wasn't expecting something like this until MGSV.

From my point of view, it scratches and totally satisfies an itch I've had for fucking decades. Which is a real achievement. Best zombie game I've ever played, to date. This is all personal taste – it makes me sad that some people might not have as good a time, but I totally respect that.

HabeeNo

Alright guys, after reading some reviews and the thread's impressions, will get it on the PS4 (For lack of a better PC lol)

Fistwell

On some level I preferred Dead Island's "analog" melee combat, and the shooting is kinda dogshit. But the overall gameplay, meaning combat (at least melee) + movement / traversal, is really smooth and satisfying. I run around at breakneck pace, slice my way through a group of zombies, jump off of someone's face, propel myself on top of some wall/building with a mid-air grappling hook, vault over, fall from a great height to a forward roll, etc. It's all seamless and feels really good. They nailed the feeling of being nimble. And slashing large amounts of zombies with very sharp objects.

SomTervo

On some level I preferred Dead Island's "analog" melee combat, and the shooting is kinda dogshit. But the overall gameplay, meaning combat (at least melee) + movement / traversal, is really smooth and satisfying. I run around at breakneck pace, slice my way through a group of zombies, jump off of someone's face, propel myself on top of some wall/building with a mid-air grappling hook, vault over, fall from a great height to a forward roll, etc. It's all seamless and feels really good. They nailed the feeling of being nimble. And slashing large amounts of zombies with very sharp objects.

I found shooting a bit better once I turned off the crosshair. This game has one of those crosshairs which actually blocks what you're aiming at. I quite like the gunplay, though close quarters and mobility is def where it's at. It's like a layman's FEAR sometimes, in the dedicated gunfight levels.

Also it gets really tactical when you factor in camouflage, traps, zombie-attracting items, coatables, etc. I wasn't interested in these to begin with, but by the 75% story mark I'm needing to mix it up to stay on top of difficult encounters. This is mainly what I was referring to when I said 'combat is incredible'. I meant the strategies.

Dommel

Wtf

Thought it'd be 75+ at least

This is the first game in ages I've played so much in so few days. I've got 30 hours on the clock and still at less than 30% story.

I think WB really blew it by not releasing this game to reviewers on time, all of the reviews had to rushed out in a few days.

Then again it also proves that MC doesn't matter, never had so much fun with a game that scored 'only' 69.

derExperte

The gas quest is one of the best quests I've ever played – the pipes bursting and the game not telling you where they are was one of those subtle things.

Subtle isn't a word I would use when describing anything in DL, a lot of the sidequests fell flat for me because the writing just isn't good enough, you almost always can guess where something is going. And while I realize that this will come across as condescending.... calling running around, opening a few pipes and watching an explosion 'one of the best quests' makes me furiously scratch my head.

Don't get me wrong, I put 30hrs into DL myself, completed the main story, 3/4th of the side quests (the rest is mostly 'collect x amounts of y') and will jump in again. It's just.... it's not THAT good overall imo.

On some level I preferred Dead Island's "analog" melee combat, and the shooting is kinda dogshit.

No analog makes the game harder at first but it's more about running around, using traps etc and the weapons become kinda op anyway (the difficulty curve isn't the best) so I stopped missing it eventually. Same with the guns, they feel too weak, even the
double barreled shotgun
so I forgot about them and then hated every section where the game basically forces you to use them.

Speaking of highly annoying parts.... (end spoiler)
I had to repeat that long running section shortly before the end where you run through the sewers more times than I want to admit and a few times it was definitely not my fault.

DirtyLarry

You dont need the "spoiler item" to take on the challenge, you can use it during the challenge with LT.
Btw, thats not the first one by default...For me it was the third one.
Would be nice if the game told me it was LT!!!
I am wondering if it is my first since I waited a decent amount of time to check it out. It has been available for quite some time, just finally stopped to see what it was all about.

Got this game last Thursday for the PS4 after picking it up on Steam at release. put about 9 hours into it so far...

I have to say... pretty snazzy console game. A lot of fun. I am the type of player that runs into the thick of battle without thinking or planning anything out. This game kicks my ass for doing so. Instead of getting mad and giving up I am actually starting to appreciate the mechanics of this game and the planning going in on some of the missions.

By far the best zombie game I have every played.

But...

I would not even remotely say this is the best game ever. This game takes amazing mechanics from a lot of different games and puts them together and does them well. But there is nothing really new in this game as far as game play goes. Still if anyone is on the fence I would honestly suggest this title. It is fun and interesting. Just not groundbreaking. But then again does every game ever released have to be ground breaking?

SomTervo

Subtle isn't a word I would use when describing anything in DL, a lot of the sidequests fell flat for me because the writing just isn't good enough, you almost always can guess where something is going. And while I realize that this will come across as condescending.... calling running around, opening a few pipes and watching an explosion 'one of the best quests' makes me furiously scratch my head.

No analog makes the game harder at first but it's more about running around, using traps etc and the weapons become kinda op anyway (the difficulty curve isn't the best) so I stopped missing it eventually. Same with the guns, they feel too weak, even the
double barreled shotgun
so I forgot about them and then hated every section where the game basically forces you to use them.

Speaking of highly annoying parts.... (end spoiler)
I had to repeat that long running section shortly before the end where you run through the sewers more times than I want to admit and a few times it was definitely not my fault.

The dialogue's not that good at all – but dialogue isn't all there is to writing. Writing consists of context and backstory too, which I enjoy in most of the quests. The nursery one in Zero-Town is a good example of this. Guff dialogue but actually really nice story and good gameplay engagement.

DL definitely has a few subtle aspects. Not many, but they're there. Like the mission where you have to get into the guy's place through the roof. I expected it just to be a 'jump onto the roof' thing. But no, you need to
climb on the underside of the bridge above. Took me a good minute or two, and a great 'holy shit' moment to work that out.
I think it has more moments like this than people give it credit for.

In my experience the gas quest was amazing. It was over in about 45 seconds and very, very simple, but it was like something Half-Life 2 would do to you. Give you a task which requires some intense spacial awareness thinking, and up the pressure. Zombies everywhere and me improvising combat, kicking them into fire, slashing legs so I could jump over, electrocuting the guy underneath, free running over nearby pipes when overwhelmed. 'One of the best quests ever' may have been pushing it, though :p it's certainly one I've had a most intense, fun time with

Seriously I can't think of many quests in Mass Effect or Bethesda games which do much better than this. They're all let down by some clunky aspect, eg poor dialogue or rubbish fight, if you're going to complain about that

It is better than Dead Island, but I think people are wildly overselling it here. The melee combat is still kind of boring. The world, characters and story are totally generic. It is stuffed with flavor of the month mechanics and ideas.

It is better than Dead Island, but I think people are wildly overselling it here. The melee combat is still kind of boring. The world, characters and story are totally generic. It is stuffed with flavor of the month mechanics and ideas.

It's simple one of those agree to disagree things. I personally feel this game trumps Dead island significantly. In its mood, style, gameplay and core ideas. I wouldn't say anyone is over selling it, but just they obviously find more to love about it then you do persay.

carlsojo

I'm glad the game came out before the reviews did. This game is great and I probably wouldn't have bought it if I saw it had a 68 Metacritic score. It seems like reviewers were pretty hard on it.

Fortunately, I just went with the general impressions everyone had, and this game is a blast. I tried co op for the first time last night and I got to watch my buddy drop kick zombies in the face. Could the story be better? I guess? I think the sidequests are pretty good. Listening to the MC get exasperated with these people is hilarious. Personally, I think the story is better than a lot of other games that have been coming out lately (Shadows of Mordor, I'm looking at youuuu).

antitrop

When good games get poor reviews, fans feel like they must take it upon themselves to tell the world how good it is. Nothing wrong with that, but it is easy to become overzealous and easily forgive too many of the game's blatant flaws.

I think it's like a 7.5-8 kind of game, but only because of the gameplay. The presentation is sorely lacking. Gameplay is more important than presentation, of course, so it is what it is.

This game's awesome. I'm having a blast. 69 on Metacritic?? That's very surprising to me. I see it as more deserving of 75-80.

I never played Dead Island, an am very impressed by the depth of this game. Side quests are surprisingly good and numerous, world is fun to explore, parkour is awesome, melee combat has punch, upgrades are addicting, main storyline is decent, and graphics are nice. Very good package as far as I'm concerned. And I love how the game changes at night. Intense and kinda creepy even! I'd personally give it a solid 8/10.

derExperte

Seriously I can't think of many quests in Mass Effect or Bethesda games which do much better than this. They're all let down by some clunky aspect, eg poor dialogue or rubbish fight, if you're going to complain about that

I can, tons actually and I wouldn't consider ME or the new Fallouts (yes, even New Vegas) shining examples, tbh in general quest design has become worse and worse over the last ten years or so. Like take a look at Vampire Masquerade Bloodlines, chances are that even its poorer quests are at least as good as the best in DL. But since I don't want to complain too much let's just say that Dying Light is a huge step forward compared to Dead Island and traversing the environment (especially in the second zone) is so much fun that even simple fetch tasks don't feel like a chore.

SomTervo

It's simple one of those agree to disagree things. I personally feel this game trumps Dead island significantly. In its mood, style, gameplay and core ideas. I wouldn't say anyone is over selling it, but just they obviously find more to love about it then you do persay.

This is the thing. I can't be overselling it because i genuinely find this game magical, exciting and deliriously fun more than FC4 or Mordor or AC- all of which I like too.

A lot of people won't share this feeling. And that's fine. But me? I'm exited as shit and want to shout it from the rooftops like Ron and his love for Veronica Corningstone

I do feel reviewers have been a little harsh- but it's easy to get really frustrated with a game if you binge on it, which they probably all did to get reviews out quick. Techland's fault either way.

[*]Pretend this game has no zombies for a minute. Does an open-world parkour game appeal to you? Then just buy it. Honestly. It's scratching the itch I've had for an open world Mirror's Edge for over 6 years now. It starts out feeling deceptively clunky, but with a few choice skill unlocks it becomes sublime.
... and SOLD.

And there went my weekend too. *poof*

Absolutely love the parkour in this more than anything, but that parkour mixed with the day/night cycle and the variations on the threats posed by each mean that there's a damn good reason for you to take the high ground and to do it at speed. Being a "runner" in this world not only makes total sense - its fun as hell. You end up finding your own go-to routes and that growing familiarity helps you to navigate the map during a run and when you need to sprint and climb your ass away from danger.

Catdaddy

Played it this weekend and did enjoy it and I like it better than Dead Island, and it’s mainly due to the parkour, nice having that as an option for escape. Also, seems the weapon durability is better than Dead Island, or it’s because I don’t use them all that much. Having the option to not always be in combat is a great concept.

I did get frustrated with a side quest right out of the tutorial that had to do taking out some thugs. I had some decent weapons that I didn’t have the mats to upgrade so kept getting my ass handed to me. Finally I realized I had mats for Molotovs and viola, was able to take them all out without any melee. The resulting explosion sent a couple of Virals that surprised me but was able to outrun them and make back to the tower.

So should I progress the storyline, or just clear out the side quests or scrounge up for stuff for upgrades? The next main quest I have is
Pact With Rais
and want to make sure that I have good equipment before moving forward.

Not sure how the difficult spikes after missions, but did read that as you move forward the enemies get tougher and a wider variety are released.

antitrop

... and SOLD.

And there went my weekend too. *poof*

Absolutely love the parkour in this more than anything, but that parkour mixed with the day/night cycle and the variations on the threats posed by each mean that there's a damn good reason for you to take the high ground and to do it at speed. Being a "runner" in this world not only makes total sense - its fun as hell.
The second area is better than the first. The layout of the area is much different and suits your upgraded abilities perfectly. I was impressed. Parkour really is the main selling point of this game, it's exhilarating as fuck.

Once you reach max level, you're basically Spiderman.

Denton

I really don't understand the low review scores. I mean, yeah, it is not super original game. But the execution is simply fantastic.

Yeah pretty crazy. I've been pretty vocal about waiting to see the review scores before getting this game because of all the controversy surrounding it.

Minus the occasional bugs, It's a really solid and fun game. Those reviews don't do it justice.

The reactions Dyling Light is evoking reminds me so much of how Alien: Isolation was received.

I'd say that if you liked what A:I was doing in terms of creating tension and a sense of danger, you'll love what Dying Light does.

When do you start to get guns?

I found a pistol pretty early on just from looting, and enemies you encounter that have firearms are an obvious source. There's a specific main mission very early in the game that forces you to confront someone with a rifle.

You won't ever have sufficient ammo to make firearms a good primary weapon, so focus more on having a well-rounded collection of melee weapons. Firearms are best used, in my opinion, for setting off explosions or taking care of enemies that would otherwise prove to be a huge hassle (i.e other enemies with guns or a mob approaching you in a dead end).

Top Bottom