• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light IOTI A dead island on the mirror's edge.

antitrop

I found a pistol pretty early on just from looting, and enemies you encounter that have firearms are an obvious source. There's a specific main mission very early in the game that forces you to confront someone with a rifle.

You won't ever have sufficient ammo to make firearms a good primary weapon, so focus more on having a well-rounded collection of melee weapons. Firearms are best used, in my opinion, for setting off explosions or taking care of enemies that would otherwise prove to be a huge hassle (i.e other enemies with guns or a mob approaching you in a dead end).
The real problem with using guns exclusively, more than running out of ammo, is the fact that firing a weapon automatically spawns a bunch of zombies that charge at you. Basically, the only way to kill all the zombies in an area and make it temporarily safe is with a melee weapon. If you keep shooting zombies with loud-ass guns, they will keep coming forever.

So, turns out there is one closet with a zombie inside. All other closets in this game only have items, so you think you're safe opening them... nope. I panicked so hard I almost screamed :D

Fuck. thanks for the heads up.

Since the start of the game, Every time I open a closet in the game Ive been expecting something crazy in there. It's got that ominous camera zoom like when you open doors in the old RE games.

Didn't know there is a New Game +. Now i have an excuse to beat the game again :D

hnnnnnng I didn't know either. yesssss

CryptiK

Finally finished this game. And fuck this game and its cheap deaths. Open a door and look some exploding cunt blows up before you can react. So stupid.

This game deserves way better. It is absolutely fantastic. And seeing the reviews on metacritic makes me sick. DL=68, DA:I=89...

Yeah reviews have gone really petty. I have a very select few I will actually take on board. Gotta respect opinions though, I played Singularity and Dishonored pretty much back to back, Singularity is a solid 9 in my eyes, where as the critically acclaimed Dishonered is a 5/6 at most for me.

jond76

Banned
I found a pistol pretty early on just from looting, and enemies you encounter that have firearms are an obvious source. There's a specific main mission very early in the game that forces you to confront someone with a rifle.

You won't ever have sufficient ammo to make firearms a good primary weapon, so focus more on having a well-rounded collection of melee weapons. Firearms are best used, in my opinion, for setting off explosions or taking care of enemies that would otherwise prove to be a huge hassle (i.e other enemies with guns or a mob approaching you in a dead end).

I use firearms exclusively for indoor areas (quarantine zones,etc)

The second area is better than the first.

Nah.

Second area is OK, but its half the size, no open areas at all and most of the buildings look the same. Like an Assassins Creed Venice. Gone are the cool buildings such as schools and grocery stores. Its just cut and paste buildings. There's a couple of buildings which are a little different, but that's it.

Nah.

Second area is OK, but its half the size, no open areas at all and most of the buildings look the same. Like an Assassins Creed Venice. Gone are the cool buildings such as schools and grocery stores. Its just cut and paste buildings. There's a couple of buildings which are a little different, but that's it.
This should have been in spoilers.

antitrop

Nah.

I understand and agree with that. I guess I should be more specific, in that I enjoyed parkouring around the second area more.
The taller buildings are more complicated to climb up and swinging around with the grappling hook is a treat
. The slums are far more memorable, though, you're right.

This should have been in spoilers.

Done, just remove my quote now. Sorry.

I understand and agree with that. I guess I should be more specific, in that I enjoyed parkouring around the second area more. The taller buildings are more complicated to climb up and swinging around with the grappling hook is a treat. The slums are far more memorable, though, you're right.

Yeah, second area is definitely better for parkour. A lot better.

Guys! Don't forget about the companion app. Easy materials, medkits, and stuff.

It works exactly like the Assassins Creed side missions where you send you Assassins out on missions.

Piece of cake.

CryptiK

For those who have finished it, I think we may be getting a prequel game next. Although I do hope for a follow up instead.

Panzon

Played the first 20 minutes last night and Im already hooked. The graphics are pretty great, the explorations feel fun and so far the characters don't seem too bad. Gonna try to sink in a few hours later in the day

Paskil

I've run into three instances where these crafty sumbitches
Techland
have tossed bombers behind doors so I sprint in an kick or hit them and die immediately. This has caught me twice. Really enjoying the game so far. Having a blast with coop. About to move on to the second area, just finishing up some side stuff.

Why the fuck do zombies ignore Rais' men? Makes fighting them a chore. I should be able to toss them into a group of zombies.

Hmm. I've had no problems kiting thugs into swarms of zombies, or using explosions/loud noises to draw virals toward an occupied air drop. In fact, I've not yet been able to successfully take on any humie enemies without leveraging zombies in some way.

The real problem with using guns exclusively, more than running out of ammo, is the fact that firing a weapon automatically spawns a bunch of zombies that charge at you. Basically, the only way to kill all the zombies in an area and make it temporarily safe is with a melee weapon. If you keep shooting zombies with loud-ass guns, they will keep coming forever.

You're right-- it's a good way to attract zombies and the ever-persistent virals. That's one of the more obvious reasons to stick with melee as well, but I blanked on mentioning it.

In my eyes, it reeks of critics being salty about not getting review code on time.

Some folks would absolutely state that it didn't affect them but I wouldn't buy that for everyone. I just got done writing my review for the game this morning. I've played everyday since I got it last Monday. It should help boost that metacritic score if only a bit. ;)

tesqui

I must be playing a completely different game than these reviewers. I personally find this game just as or even more enjoyable as per say Far cry 3 or 4. It makes 0 sense that this game is getting shit on worse than dead island. I mean come on! Dying light improves in almost every way compared to dead island!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, about the damsels in distress, as someone who writes for a living, I reserve the right to put men AND women in harm for dramatic effect. What I don't appreciate is badly written female characters. Jade seems fine, well designed for a zombie game too.
She's certainly the most compelling character in the game :p

https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/562109974222880768
much like she has not played the game. Damsel in distress is going to be one of those sayings now thrown around for no reason without validation

This might all be a little off topic, but she deputized Dying Light into this argument
0NRaqaD.png
And I have seen her videos.

My direct response to that would be the same question I asked above... accepting the premise that it's a plot device, and not at all reliant on the traits of the character being termed a "damsel in distress" when the device is used: is then any scenario in which a female character is kidnapped in a game not necessarily a damsel in distress? By describing a number of subtypes in her videos, she ropes into this category characters as disparate as Peach, Angel from Borderlands (I'm thinking she actually belongs to the same purported subcategory as Jade), Emily in Dishonored, and Princess What's-Her-Name from Earthworm Jim. To me this indicates strongly that it would be impossible to construct a scenario in a game in which any female character is kidnapped without conforming to some version or another of this trope.

Because of the wide variety of examples used, it isn't clear that the damsel in distress scenario necessarily requires the kidnapping to be the main impetus for a male protagonist's quest (certainly not even close to the case in Dying Light, which she's of course saying is guilty of the trope), or if anything changes if the damsel's rescue has any other implications besides motivating a male protagonist's actions. Indeed, it would seem that qualifying as a damsel in distress by Sarkeesian's interpretation of media means a) being kidnapped or otherwise imprisoned/placed in peril and b) being female.

That's troubling to me, because avoiding the trope altogether (not subverting it or deconstructing it- merely not using it) might then involve wrapping every female character that appears in a videogame in plot cellophane, while ostensibly all the male characters would be ripe for the plucking... presumably because they aren't "traditionally" placed in danger. If your female characters can't get kidnapped, you're necessarily treating them differently than male characters because they're female.

This seems incredibly limiting from the perspective of writing three-dimensional scenarios that make sense and serve a larger narrative with more interesting goals than "hero rescues damsel." If your game strives for anything more than that basic plot structure, merely containing the kidnapping of a female character means it now "has a Damsel in Distress storyline." So put another way: in 2015, women can't get kidnapped in fiction anymore. What? That's such an inadequate representation of the theme, which has been around since antiquity, that it almost cheapens the validity of her calling out the many actual instances of this trope in gaming narratives, be it the very first appearance of Princess Peach or Beatrice in Dante's Inferno.

I'd argue that stipulating that being a "damsel in distress" is unrelated to the character traits of the damsel in question is a tacit reduction of that character to "a female," which is exactly what we shouldn't do if we're trying to encourage more well-written female characters that don't conform to traditional androcentric tropes.

She clarifies that
E0MwK1H.png
But to me this is still totally inadequate. It essentially excuses the trope in any scenario in which you just alter the gender of one of the participants: male hero, female kidnapee, male kidnapper. That's laughable to me. I know that Sarkeesian likes Mirror's Edge, and I'm a huge fan of that game and think Faith is a solid protagonist as well. But Kate is basically a textbook damsel in distress. She has no agency. She's a bargaining chip. She acts as a plot point pushing the protagonist forward. She doesn't even get the "token attempt at engineering her own escape" that Anita calls attention to. In fact, she is recaptured after an initial rescue attempt and the final moments of the game literally involve ascending a Very Tall Tower to rescue her and thus "win"; damsel successfully saved, credits roll. She may say Jade doesn't matter because "DiD" is a plot device rather than a character trait; but Kate is the plot device. I'm supposed to excuse this lazy, formulaic writing merely because the protagonist is a woman? If you played as Kate's brother rather than her sister, then suddenly it would have a "damsel in distress storyline"? Or how about if you played as Kate's brother, but the villain kidnapping her was female herself- now we're back to not a damsel in distress because the competition she's being used as an object in isn't between two men?

There's also the point that Rais is wrong. The writers aren't describing Jade as "something of yours," the character is doing that. You're not meant to view his description of the situation as accurate, you're meant to be disgusted by it. "Something of mine "....bitch, that's the fucking Scorpion you're talking about.

What really got me is that in her video series, after casting this net which I'd argue establishes a definition of Damsel in Distress that is far too broad, she goes into her idea for a potential game to serve as a deconstruction of the trope. When I was watching for the first time, I thought to myself, "okay, this is where it will get interesting"- I may not have agreed with her premise of what constitutes a Damsel in Distress, but I'm fascinated at how she would want to subvert it if designing her own game.

Unfortunately...
8WYZTI8.gif
The "damsel" goes on to fight through a forest and corrupt city (whose government had imprisoned her), leveling up combat, stealth abilities and gear, eventually storming a castle and defeating the evil monarchy to free the kingdom.

In other words, it's a traditional action-adventure wherein the first scene involves the main character being imprisoned awaiting rescue, and decides to engineer an escape instead. What makes this a unique, ideal subversion of the trope is that the character in question is a woman.

That... sucks. I won't purport to be able to speak to how female gamers should feel about this proposed game, but anyone who cares about writing compelling characters with depth regardless of gender should be insulted by it. Essentially what she's saying is that by far the most important attribute her protagonist has in this game is that she's female. Everything about the design forces the protagonist to scream "Look! I'm just as capable and awesome at all this stuff as a male character would be!" It's such a basic and shallow and patronizing concept. Frozen did a better job of subverting the damsel in distress trope than her game would. Her idea is along the exact lines of what happens at the end of Enchanted; more of a parody than a deconstruction (ha-ha! it's the girl doing the saving!).

That's a real problem. If you want to offer a thoughtful deconstruction of a long-held trope in fiction, you have to reach for more than that.

Ironically, Jade Aldemir features many of the qualities she wants to ascribe to her idealized anti-damsel protagonist- she's courageous, strong, cunning, intelligent- but the fact that she is female is borderline irrelevant to the narrative. She is a character, not a vehicle for the subversion of traditionally reinforced gender roles in fiction. The idea that because she is captured and needs help it necessarily converts her into the tried-and-true Damsel in Distress plot device is a hard sell for me. After all, Sarkeesian isn't opposed to all instances of female characters needing help from male characters (bizarrely, the CC on her video identifies Jade from BGAE as 'Jane,' but whatever). And... Dying Light isn't at all a particularly well-written game. It just isn't guilty of this particular vice. So what are we really talking about here?

Seems a little like Sarkeesian is largely unwilling to consider nuance, even if it might be extremely relevant. I'm thinking her work suffers from the old syndrome: if all you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.

FX-GMC

The PC version is up to a 79 on Metacritic. I've had more fun with this than Far Cry 4 (Far Cry 3 may be to blame).
PS4 - 70
XB1 - 72

She's certainly the most compelling character in the game :p

Seems a little like Sarkeesian is largely unwilling to consider nuance, even if it might be extremely relevant. I'm thinking her work suffers from the old syndrome: if all you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.

She is a strong woman though her writing is not at all "weak"

The world alone deserves at least a 7.5.

The panic this game instills in me when I'm trying to get to a safe house at 3 AM isn't a feeling state or a level of immersion I associate with a game deserving a 60s Metacritic score.

This game is so fun. I'm really glad I decided to pick it up.

Was planning to finish Far Cry 4 and Dragon Age before The Order came out but I haven't even touched another game since I got this. Co-op can be amazing if you can get a group that does more than just stand around 70% of the time.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Tried to spend more than 10 minutes in VR with this game and I'm literally spinning. Feel like I'm going to throw up. The head tracking isn't quite right nor is the sense of scale and the speed and animation of the game are just too much for it. It's neat to see but, man, unplayable for me. Never felt this ill before from a VR experience.

While I agree with what you said, why are we paying so much attention to what some angry, misguided, feminist posts to her Twitter about a video game? Is she like the "Queen Feminist" or something?
She has a lot of people's attention right now.

Some of the things she says have merit but she is quite prone to incorrectly label things as well. What she claims about Dying Light is not correct, I believe. There is nothing sexist about the way this games story proceeds. It definitely shines some negative light on her methods in my eyes.

The fact that this game is sitting at below 80 metacritic is baffling and disgusting. I have clocked around 8 hrs now and this is a 9/10 game for me. Critics who gave this game below 7 have lost all credibility.

Trouble

Banned
The PC version is up to a 79 on Metacritic. I've had more fun with this than Far Cry 4 (Far Cry 3 may be to blame).
PS4 - 70
XB1 - 72

I feel like critics initially punished this game because of the lack of review codes going out. They want to get reviews out quickly and will err towards the negative rather than the positive. It was an idiot move to hold back review copies on whomever's head that rests.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I think she's somewhat offbase, but not wholly wrong. I don't think this falls under the trope, simply because everything bad happens to everybody. Every character with more than 4 lines of dialogue - including Crane - needs rescuing. It's more or less the theme of the game. People need to work together to survive. At the beginning everybody is separated. Some in the tower, some with Rais, Crane with the GRE, and Jade being sort of a faction of one. It's not damseling within the context of the game and since the game gives no indication that Jade and Crane are even more than somewhat close work colleagues, Rais - the bad guy - saying what he says is an assumption.

That being said, that line and the taunting from Rais along the way was within keeping with the trope if that's the only part of the game you're looking at. I think if she approached it like that, rather than attempting to take the devs to task over a game she clearly hasn't played and is only responded to because of out of context Tweets, there could be a great discussion.

It's a damn shame that you either have to agree with Anita's POV, or you're a #GG/redpiller. She often makes good points, but it sort of feels like she's letting the notariaty go to her head. She's just off the mark here.

psychotron

This game kicks ass. I've finally been able to dig in a bit and the side missions are just as good as the story missions. It runs very well for how nice it looks too.

shmoglish

I dont´t like the Siblings/
How to catch a Bolter
mission.

But the rest of the game is great. Did not like Dead Island, but Dying Light is really enjoyable.

Paskil

A trope doesn't define an entire game or type of media. Go to TV Tropes and look up your favorite show (assuming it's there). See all of the associated tropes. Some of those tropes describe something that maybe took up a minute of a single episode of that show. It doesn't mean the trope is not a valid description of that episode or part of that show.

Anita pointing out the "Damsel in Distress" sequence in this game doesn't make the game worse or bad. FYI, she's right. The trope exactly describes what happens at this point in the game. People need to fucking relax and realize that people criticizing games are not attacking them. They are simply pointing out where things like this exist so that it sparks a conversation.

Top Bottom